**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Is Rhino still considered to be a good defender?

SakkbanSakkban Posts: 96
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
I have a 5* duped R2 Rhino and considering to bring him to R3 for AWD. Probably I'll put him on a stun immune node.
Do you think he is worth investing resources in? I occasionally fight him as the right mini boss where he is stun, poison, bleed immune and he is a pain in the ass there.

I've never ranked up a champ for defense only, but at the moment this seems to be the only part of my roster which is lacking significantly. As a R2 he gets ZERO kills exactly every war so I am a bit hesitant cause people have too much experience with him nowadays.

Any recommendations/advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★
    Sakkban wrote: »
    I have a 5* duped R2 Rhino and considering to bring him to R3 for AWD. Probably I'll put him on a stun immune node.
    Do you think he is worth investing resources in? I occasionally fight him as the right mini boss where he is stun, poison, bleed immune and he is a pain in the ass there.
    I've never ranked up a champ for defense only, but at the moment this seems to be the only part of my roster which is lacking significantly. As a R2 he gets ZERO kills exactly every war so I am a bit hesitant cause people have too much experience with him nowadays.

He's definitely familiar for a lot of people since he was added as a miniboss to AQ for map 5. That said if he is not getting kills as a R2 and you do not have a better defender then you need to R3 him in hopes it improves your overall defensive contribution to war.
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★

He's definitely familiar for a lot of people since he was added as a miniboss to AQ for map 5. That said if he is not getting kills as a R2 and you do not have a better defender then you need to R3 him in hopes it improves your overall defensive contribution to war.

He is difficult for players who intercept a lot.
  • ZzyzxGuyZzyzxGuy Posts: 1,292 ★★★
    Put him on a bleed and poison immune. Basically, you can only hit him after a special or heavy... and you have to kill him with direct damage. Definitely ups his defender status.
  • @ZzyzxGuy this was my idea exactly. On a stun immune node he is awkward sometimes.
  • TreyboneTreybone Posts: 25
    I ranked my R3 5* duped Rhino down when the rank down tickets came around over the Holidays.. Held onto my resources but have put up my 5* YJ unduped in his place...
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    Treybone wrote: »
    I ranked my R3 5* duped Rhino down when the rank down tickets came around over the Holidays.. Held onto my resources but have put up my 5* YJ unduped in his place...

I'd definitely say Rhino is better than an unduped YJ
  • TheDemonTheDemon Posts: 159
    KhanMedina wrote: »

It really depends. 5* YJ could have some use for questing. Rhino is a good defender, but only on the right node. Aside from that he really has very little use in the game.
    TheDemon wrote: »

It really depends. 5* YJ could have some use for questing. Rhino is a good defender, but only on the right node. Aside from that he really has very little use in the game.

I mean as a defender, rhino vs. unduped YJ should go to rhino even if both are on basic nodes. YJ has no tricky mechanic at all.

I like attacking with Rhino, but he definitely doesn't hit hard or anything. Just fun to corner, dash back, and smash over and over.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Science villains are not good defenders.
  • KennadoKennado Posts: 991 ★★★
    No.
  • WhatRYouWhatRYou Posts: 443 ★★
    linux wrote: »

What tier are you in? By the new T4 (and lower/harder tiers) Rhino is not a good defender. At higher (weaker) tiers, I imagine there are some where he'll occasionally get kills. If no one else in your battle group brings him (so that you're at least getting the 30 hard points for diversity), then ranking him up seems OK; if anyone else has him, I'd recommend finding a unique champ who's got some potentially effective mechanic.

Rhino has two things going for him: unstoppable on any dash in, and occasional unblockable. The former means you can't intercept him, but it's easy to learn to stop intercepting. The latter means that sometimes you can't parry or block his medium -- you have to be ready to dodge if the purple buff comes up.

But if he's not on a no-stun node, you can plan to parry and instead evade when he gets the unblockable buff -- there's enough of a warning. And on a no-stun node, he's easy to hit after (easily evaded) heavies and specials. Also, there are better choices for no-stun nodes.

Hey buddy, can you elaborate on Rhino's Unstoppable spec!
    He goes Unblockable when dashing, that part I got, however...
    Players, mods, announcements are talking about Rhino's Unstoppable attack.....theres no such thing!!
    Is this a buff that I didn't hear about?
    As per my experience, only Juggs and UC goes unstoppable (Excluding unfazed mastery and heavy attack on BPCW)
    I need to know please, thank you in advance
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    Oh yes

- Blade

Keep your science t4cc for something better IMO.
    Rhinos gives a hard time against interceptors and non experienced players
    Hes not hard to figure out and you will benefit from saving those cats!

WhatRYou wrote: »
    linux wrote: »

What tier are you in? By the new T4 (and lower/harder tiers) Rhino is not a good defender. At higher (weaker) tiers, I imagine there are some where he'll occasionally get kills. If no one else in your battle group brings him (so that you're at least getting the 30 hard points for diversity), then ranking him up seems OK; if anyone else has him, I'd recommend finding a unique champ who's got some potentially effective mechanic.

Rhino has two things going for him: unstoppable on any dash in, and occasional unblockable. The former means you can't intercept him, but it's easy to learn to stop intercepting. The latter means that sometimes you can't parry or block his medium -- you have to be ready to dodge if the purple buff comes up.

But if he's not on a no-stun node, you can plan to parry and instead evade when he gets the unblockable buff -- there's enough of a warning. And on a no-stun node, he's easy to hit after (easily evaded) heavies and specials. Also, there are better choices for no-stun nodes.

Hey buddy, can you elaborate on Rhino's Unstoppable spec!
    He goes Unblockable when dashing, that part I got, however...
    Players, mods, announcements are talking about Rhino's Unstoppable attack.....theres no such thing!!
    Is this a buff that I didn't hear about?
    As per my experience, only Juggs and UC goes unstoppable (Excluding unfazed mastery and heavy attack on BPCW)
    I need to know please, thank you in advance

Look at Rhino's buffs when he goes for a dash attack (from far away, swipe towards opponent). The unstoppable buff pops up while he is dashing. It doesn't fade away like regular buffs over time, so you have to look when he's dashing or you'll miss it. He's unstoppable when dashing in so he cannot be intercepted.

Also, Kingpin, Venompool, and Black Panther CW all go unstoppable for different reasons. Maybe some other new champs too.
  • BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,307 ★★★★
    Yes, he’s worth it but please stop to consider how many lives you’ll extinguish do to your enemy’s rage
  • javedahmed56javedahmed56 Posts: 86
    Rhino is definitely a very good defender for AW. Player
    MattScott wrote: »
    He is difficult for players who intercept a lot.

Defeating Rhino is difficult if you intercept a lot. The best way to fight Rhino is stay close to him, so that his unstoppable and unblockable buff doesn't trigger. Stay close to him, parry and attack and evade his special.
  • NastyEfnNateNastyEfnNate Posts: 551 ★★
    Don’t do it. He’s easy. Stay close. Don’t give him space. Just block. He will go for a heavy. Evade. Run it 5 hit. Stay there and block. Rinse and repeat
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 995 ★★★
    edited February 2018
    Science villains are not good defenders.

MODOK laughs at this

MODOK isnt difficult, ability accuracy reduction makes him useless
  • Speeds80Speeds80 Posts: 2,008 ★★★★
    Modok still drifts out of combos and can attack straight away, he’s hard because he’s still bugged
  • Thank you everyone for the information! I will be opening a few basic crystals next week when Blade gets added in the basic pool. Maybe I will pull smth better, but for now I will not upgrade Rhino as it seems at best it is dodgy whether or not this will bring success in AWD. btw I am in Tier 7-9 (new system) in AW.
    Thank you @KhanMedina and @Linux!!