**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Should Sentinel be a #Villain ?

Comments

• shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    Yes.
    Also enough of the false flagging
    Sentinels are robots without a conscience

I would say they’re not. They serve a negative purpose, but all mutants not just the good ones.

Right and killmonger is not a villain now because he killed klaue

Oh thanks for the spoiler, a######.

Let me go ahead and flag u for abuse u know cause offensive names like that are against the trms of service
    Yes.
    Right and my Roomba is a #custodian cause he’s programmed to clean floors.

Ok what would you call him then in my opinion yes a Roomba is a robotic custodian
    Yes.
    Like how people are getting flagged for abuse when they only state facts in harmless statements but some one calls me an a###### and I'm the only one that does the right thing and flags it because unlike the others that actually is against the forum rules
  • charaderdude2charaderdude2 Posts: 1,530 ★★★
    edited March 2018
    No,This poll should be about why security cameras are #heroes...
    Not Sentinel being a #Villain!Pftttt,Get that outta there!
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,245 ★★★★★
    Sirnoob wrote: »

I would say they’re not. They serve a negative purpose, but all mutants not just the good ones.

Difference being

He had a choice

The sentinels are here to purge the mutants last time I checked that doesn't fall under the category of hero or anti hero, the statement was they kill bad mutants too but that doesn't mean they r not villians. Now back to purging mutants that is an act of villany even if they don't get a choice. Winter Soldier was mind controlled in cap 2 and was still considered a villians inn the film granted later he does become good. Beside the point the sentinels were created for the purpose of evil therefore they are villians, why because unlike vision they still chose to abide the acts of evil my basic point is they may not be 100% a villians but that is the closest they come to any category

Act of Villainy? That depends on whose perspective you are taking.
  • FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    It’s an interesting philosophical debate. I was about to say yes but changed to no. The sentinels were programmed (and this is the established premise of the xmen story) to kill, then it is assumed they have no morals but pure robots. Whereas Ultron and Vision were created with a consciousness and a certain level of intellect and will to choose whats right and whats wrong. I have to agree on those points.

On the other hand, there is the outside perception that sentinels are bad as in evil characters. So, does the #Villain tag apply to their inherent charactetistics or their impression on other people?
  • SnaggleSnaggle Posts: 226 ★★
    No.
    Nerf blade. People like this make me want to watch women's basketball.
  • FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    And when we say it’s based on Marvel characters, they dont necessarily and strictly follow canon. Just like when a movie is based on Marvel characters, some aspects if not most will be changed but the essence of the character will still be there.
    Yes.
    xNig wrote: »
    Sirnoob wrote: »

Difference being

He had a choice

The sentinels are here to purge the mutants last time I checked that doesn't fall under the category of hero or anti hero, the statement was they kill bad mutants too but that doesn't mean they r not villians. Now back to purging mutants that is an act of villany even if they don't get a choice. Winter Soldier was mind controlled in cap 2 and was still considered a villians inn the film granted later he does become good. Beside the point the sentinels were created for the purpose of evil therefore they are villians, why because unlike vision they still chose to abide the acts of evil my basic point is they may not be 100% a villians but that is the closest they come to any category

Act of Villainy? That depends on whose perspective you are taking.

So in ur perspective is mass genocide not evil?
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Villains and Heros became a discussion because of blade, otherwise this is a stupid argument. I think we can agree the three groupings for "normal" playable characters in this game are #Hero #Villain and #Merc . If you look at the #Merc group, some can be debated based on this story or that story, thats the point. They can be debated. Even sabretooth, while normally acknowledged as a villain, has stories where he joins with heros because it benefits himself. Does sentinel ever change sides? or is his primary objective to destroy Mutants/heros?

I'm not arguing the outside-the-contest facts. But how the tags work in the game.
    Yes.
    As far as I know, sentience is a prerequisite to morality; without being sentient you do not have the ability to choose between right or wrong. Saying a Sentinel is a #villain for killing mutants is like saying gravity is a #villain for crashing planes.

Like he said there are 3 categories hero villain and Merc, he is neither hero nor Merc so what does that leave
    Yes.
    Also comparing sentinel to gravity is a poor comparison gravity was not created for the purpose of crashing planes sentinel was created for the purpose of killing mutants therefore he is a villain
    Yes.
    Also the sentinels do have free will because they decided to start killing people too
  • Apocalypse189Apocalypse189 Posts: 1,128 ★★★
    This is how I see them

Sentinels are Mutant Killers. End of. They can be semi sentient aka go off on their own and target others but their main purpose is to hunt Mutants.

If they weren't labelled as a villain, then he would have been a great choice for AQ Season 5 (Who knows they could be already planning it) but him being a villain doesn't take anything away from his abilities or whether he is a snack for Blade. I think we have all got overobsessed over Blade and as a result we are not fully focusing conversation on other champions who are better
    As far as I know, sentience is a prerequisite to morality; without being sentient you do not have the ability to choose between right or wrong. Saying a Sentinel is a #villain for killing mutants is like saying gravity is a #villain for crashing planes.

Like he said there are 3 categories hero villain and Merc, he is neither hero nor Merc so what does that leave

Given that a sentinel must be given orders or programmed to perform an action and that those actions aren’t necessarily heroic or villainous, #Mercenary fits them best.

you're reaching a little, considering sentinel refers to specific, already programmed robots
    Yes.

Given that a sentinel must be given orders or programmed to perform an action and that those actions aren’t necessarily heroic or villainous, #Mercenary fits them best.

Really cause last time I checked mercenaries only take orders from themselves and those that pay them neither of which fit sentinel so calling him a Merc is beyond dumb

Really cause last time I checked mercenaries only take orders from themselves and those that pay them neither of which fit sentinel so calling him a Merc is beyond dumb

Sentinels only take orders from their internal programming and those that pay for them. Maintenance and repair can be seen as payment, not to mention the cost of obtaining a Sentinel.

is there a story in the comics I don't know about where someone used a sentinel for something other than villainy?
  • Apocalypse189Apocalypse189 Posts: 1,128 ★★★
    Ok I'm basing this purely on the Sentinel focused X Men film in 2014

They were villains but only to Mutants, they only turned rogue because Magneto tampered with them

So on that basis, yes they are classified as Villains but are not Mercenaries or Heroes
    Yes.
    He is a villain no ifs ands or buts Deadpool is a Merc sentinel is

Sentinels only take orders from their internal programming and those that pay for them. Maintenance and repair can be seen as payment, not to mention the cost of obtaining a Sentinel.

Ok again dude they are not mercenaries and u basically just refuted your whole argument u just basically said they follow their own orders which conflicts the idea that they have no control over their actions do urself a favor and stop digging yourself into a hole
  • TheDemonTheDemon Posts: 159
    No.
    Primmer79 wrote: »

is there a story in the comics I don't know about where someone used a sentinel for something other than villainy?

Well, technically wouldn't a Sentinel that was fighting against Magneto or another villain be good? Perhaps that is why Sentinels have no tag. They are programmed to fight mutants and since mutants can be good or bad then a Sentinel is in essence both.
    Yes.
    Also I'm still laughing at the thought that some one thinks the sentinels are Mercs
    TheDemon wrote: »

Well, technically wouldn't a Sentinel that was fighting against Magneto or another villain be good? Perhaps that is why Sentinels have no tag. They are programmed to fight mutants and since mutants can be good or bad then a Sentinel is in essence both.

well then I counter you with hero's usually have a hard line against killing. Villains tend to not care. Also, there are plenty of villain vs villain encounters, as well as hero vs hero
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    edited March 2018
    Yes.

There was a young Avenger or something that had a pet sentinel that was reprogrammed.

I agree that Sentinels AND Sabretooth should be villains though. This isn't just about Blade either; GR gets big bonus vs. Villains.
  • SnaggleSnaggle Posts: 226 ★★
    No.
    Kabam should only make one villain, and that villain being Kamala Khan. #NerfBlade #NormieRage
    KhanMedina wrote: »

There was a young Avenger or something that had a pet sentinel that was reprogrammed.

I agree that Sentinels AND Sabretooth should be villains though. This isn't just about Blade either; GR gets big bonus vs. Villains.

That was news to me earlier and I had to read about it. Pretty cool stuff.

I think the reasoning behind sabretooth is the amount of times he fought WITH heros for his own gain. Definitely more a villain than a hero though.