**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Can I play just the defense?

Can I use my heroes just for defense in AW and don't do the attack? I'll still win the rewards? I didn't found this question here

Comments

• 1haunted_memory1haunted_memory Posts: 804 ★★★
    the answer is yes, but no good alliance would allow this
  • Cujo999Cujo999 Posts: 117
    You still get the rewards if you only place defenders or only join on attack. You should check with your leader or an officer to make sure this is ok, though. Many Alliances will kick members who place defenders, but don't join on attack.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,956 ★★★★★
    You'll get kicked pretty quickly if you aren't helping on attack. Why should you get rewards for not doing anything at all while the rest of your BG/Alliance did all the work? Shame on you for even wanting to do this.
  • charaderdude2charaderdude2 Posts: 1,530 ★★★
    Demonzfyre wrote: »
    You'll get kicked pretty quickly if you aren't helping on attack. Why should you get rewards for not doing anything at all while the rest of your BG/Alliance did all the work? Shame on you for even wanting to do this.

Yeah,A normal player (Like me in january)Would have passed up war defence AND attack,Instead of that during emergencies.
  • DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285
    My question to you is: Why dont you want to attack ?
  • andrewnunes7andrewnunes7 Posts: 12
    edited April 2018
    DarkZen wrote: »

Because I don't have enough good attackers, just defenders...
    it would only be for a while for me to evolve my good heroes
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    Technically, you can. You can also play Attack if you haven't placed Defense, and a spot is open.
    However, as was mentioned, I would check in with your Ally first. You may find yourself in trouble if they're not okay with that.
    Judging from your previous post,I guess putting in some defenders and using best 3 as attackers isn't bad.
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    Its not uncommon in some alliances to have a member in each group never join attack. That person is usually on reserve waiting to see who needs help and what champs to bring in. If everyone is doing well, that player rarely joins. They do still get the rewards
  • DRTODRTO Posts: 1,618 ★★★★★
    DarkZen wrote: »

Because I don't have enough good attackers, just defenders...

That is not a good excuse, as long as you have 3 of any champs you should always attack, maybe you won't get attack bonuses often but it's better than doing nothing.
  • DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285
    Each alliance to their own rulea but R4ge said pretty much what my alliance do in AW... we have at least 1 or 2 who only join in the last 5 hours or so to clear missed paths or help others...

You are best speaking your alliance if they will allow you to do that but as most have said you will indeed get the boot for not joining attack.

Btw im a **** player despite having a rating of 400k
  • In my ally you would be kicked. As R4GE said some alliances (including mine) have 1 person we designate as "clean up". That person will place their defenders and wait to join attack phase, the entire time they are checking in on their perspective battle group to get an idea of what champs to bring and what path to clean up.

However, unlike what R4GE said our clean up guy joins attack EVERY WAR. Even if we don't need "clean ups" help they join for more exploration.

I.E. Two (2) wars ago we had a tough fight. We cleared the board entirely with 90% exploration in both groups and so did the other team we were fighting. So our clean up crew came in and hit someunexplored paths so we got more exploration. The other alliance did not have a clean up crew so we won the war on more exploration and attack bonuses.

Now if you were to join our war and NOT join attack phase you will be kicked. Most people know their schedule for the day soon enough to be able to speak up and say "I'm going to be busy and unable to join attack phase, so put someone else in my spot." Before they even place their defenders. I have pulled my main and alt accounts from war because I knew I wouldn't be able to join attack.

This is just like joining AQ and not doing anything. To clarify, I mean, you join and sit at the start point the entire time. We have members that can't hang in map 2 while most of us can do map 3. So those people don't fight in AQ but they do join and move up. It is called using your energy for the benefit of the ally.

I.E. I'm out of energy but my path is the only path left to be cleared. So you would take my path allowing me to move up and clear the path with no energy from me.
  • R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    In my ally you would be kicked. As R4GE said some alliances (including mine) have 1 person we designate as "clean up". That person will place their defenders and wait to join attack phase, the entire time they are checking in on their perspective battle group to get an idea of what champs to bring and what path to clean up.

However, unlike what R4GE said our clean up guy joins attack EVERY WAR. Even if we don't need "clean ups" help they join for more exploration.

I.E. Two (2) wars ago we had a tough fight. We cleared the board entirely with 90% exploration in both groups and so did the other team we were fighting. So our clean up crew came in and hit someunexplored paths so we got more exploration. The other alliance did not have a clean up crew so we won the war on more exploration and attack bonuses.

Now if you were to join our war and NOT join attack phase you will be kicked. Most people know their schedule for the day soon enough to be able to speak up and say "I'm going to be busy and unable to join attack phase, so put someone else in my spot." Before they even place their defenders. I have pulled my main and alt accounts from war because I knew I wouldn't be able to join attack.

This is just like joining AQ and not doing anything. To clarify, I mean, you join and sit at the start point the entire time. We have members that can't hang in map 2 while most of us can do map 3. So those people don't fight in AQ but they do join and move up. It is called using your energy for the benefit of the ally.

I.E. I'm out of energy but my path is the only path left to be cleared. So you would take my path allowing me to move up and clear the path with no energy from me.

100% exploration can be done with 9 members only
    I think I'll be the clean up guy, this will work for me. thank you all, guys!
    edited April 2018
    I think I'll be the clean up guy, this will work for me. thank you all, guys!

Oops,Wrong thread
  • Nitro422Nitro422 Posts: 276
    R4GE wrote: »
    Its not uncommon in some alliances to have a member in each group never join attack. That person is usually on reserve waiting to see who needs help and what champs to bring in. If everyone is doing well, that player rarely joins. They do still get the rewards

this is the case in the alliance I'm on, the guy that usually doesn't okay attack is the one that places the boss, and he hangs back in attack, works out great