**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliances not placing all defenders in AW

BigTimeBigTime Posts: 246 ★★
For our first war of the season our opponent didn’t place 4 champions. This was not because they missed placements or were a lesser opponent. In fact, they won and were formidible.

Can anyone explain such a strategy?

Comments

• NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    Awhile back this was a strategy for winning Alliance Wars. Why this worked now can be due to many reasons.
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 246 ★★
    Perhaps I missed a scoring change that makes placing all 5 not always valuable?
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,861 ★★★★★
    BigTime wrote: »
    For our first war of the season our opponent didn’t place 4 champions. This was not because they missed placements or were a lesser opponent. In fact, they won and were formidible.

Can anyone explain such a strategy?

They would be at a disadvantage. Win diversity and possible attack bonus since you get full attack bonus for each empty placeable node.
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    Could just the someone not paying attention and clicking place when a defender was in a quest or AS hence leaving a blank
    Thanks folks! I didn’t know you get full bonus for an empty node. I should go run the math and make sure that is the working right.

Agreed it doesn’t make sense, at all.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    Thanks folks! I didn’t know you get full bonus for an empty node. I should go run the math and make sure that is the working right.

Just so there is no confusion, there is a precise mechanic to the way this works. There are 55 nodes that you can place a defender on, but only 50 maximum defenders players can actually place on a single map. For those 55 nodes, and only those 55 nodes, there is an attack bonus for clearing that node. For every death on that node, the attack bonus drops by 80 points, starting at 240 and potentially dropping to zero.

If you don't place a defender on one of those 55 nodes, then when a player "attacks" it by moving into it, they will have cleared that node without any deaths. As a result, they will get 240 points for "clearing" that node. It is important to note that an attacker must move into that node and "attack" it to get the bonus. If there is an empty node on a path that none of the attackers actually traverses, you don't automatically get the attack bonus. Nor do you get attack bonuses for empty nodes right at the start of the war. You'll get credit for the bonus when an attacker enters the node, and only at that time.

Because there are 55 locations for defenders and only 50 maximum possible defenders, there will always be at least 5 empty nodes that you can get 240 attack bonus points for without actually having to fight anything. If the opposing alliance places fewer than 50 defenders, then there will be even more empty nodes with the potential to award 240 attack bonus points when an attacker moves through them.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,861 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Just so there is no confusion, there is a precise mechanic to the way this works. There are 55 nodes that you can place a defender on, but only 50 maximum defenders players can actually place on a single map. For those 55 nodes, and only those 55 nodes, there is an attack bonus for clearing that node. For every death on that node, the attack bonus drops by 80 points, starting at 240 and potentially dropping to zero.

If you don't place a defender on one of those 55 nodes, then when a player "attacks" it by moving into it, they will have cleared that node without any deaths. As a result, they will get 240 points for "clearing" that node. It is important to note that an attacker must move into that node and "attack" it to get the bonus. If there is an empty node on a path that none of the attackers actually traverses, you don't automatically get the attack bonus. Nor do you get attack bonuses for empty nodes right at the start of the war. You'll get credit for the bonus when an attacker enters the node, and only at that time.

Because there are 55 locations for defenders and only 50 maximum possible defenders, there will always be at least 5 empty nodes that you can get 240 attack bonus points for without actually having to fight anything. If the opposing alliance places fewer than 50 defenders, then there will be even more empty nodes with the potential to award 240 attack bonus points when an attacker moves through them.

To add to this, if you saw they didn't place and skipped those nodes and just went straight to nodes with defenders, then you essentially got a zero on the skipped, placeable nodes. It's very possible that you didn't hit all the empty nodes as well.
    Demonzfyre wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »

To add to this, if you saw they didn't place and skipped those nodes and just went straight to nodes with defenders, then you essentially got a zero on the skipped, placeable nodes. It's very possible that you didn't hit all the empty nodes as well.

Curious. We had 100% exploration but only 146 attack kills.
  • TheRealmKeeperTheRealmKeeper Posts: 213
    No strategy to it, just bad teammates forgetting to place. My team won 2 in a row with people forgetting to place.. Oddly enough first game opponent had 146 kills lol. Not part of the Sfi crew are ya? Lol
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    You will only get kills for the nodes that had defenders that you beat. You don't get kills for nodes left empty.
    No strategy to it, just bad teammates forgetting to place. My team won 2 in a row with people forgetting to place.. Oddly enough first game opponent had 146 kills lol. Not part of the Sfi crew are ya? Lol

Haha no. Thanks for the insight.
  • I'm assuming that when you say they didn't place 4 champs you mean they only had 46 champs placed not the 50 that can be placed? If so then it is possable that they had four players who had not yet reached the lvl where they could place all 5 champs and instead could only place 4 in defense. You can access AW and AQ at lvl 17 but can't place 5 defenders until you hit lvl 25.
    I'm assuming that when you say they didn't place 4 champs you mean they only had 46 champs placed not the 50 that can be placed? If so then it is possable that they had four players who had not yet reached the lvl where they could place all 5 champs and instead could only place 4 in defense. You can access AW and AQ at lvl 17 but can't place 5 defenders until you hit lvl 25.

Hehe yeah we had 146 attacker kills. We're talking Gold/Plat tier players so they definitely have the ability. 100% of the map too. I know it's not unheard of but surprising still.
  • SWGOH_MosDefSWGOH_MosDef Posts: 145
    @BigTime by any chance did they get any "defender remaining" bonus points? This almost happened to us last AW, a player got interrupted when placing defenders and forgot to put 1 on the map... so he had brought 5 into the AW, but only 4 placed on the map. Luckily he woke up just in time to get the last one placed before attack started, but I was curious how it would have played out.
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    @BigTime by any chance did they get any "defender remaining" bonus points? This almost happened to us last AW, a player got interrupted when placing defenders and forgot to put 1 on the map... so he had brought 5 into the AW, but only 4 placed on the map. Luckily he woke up just in time to get the last one placed before attack started, but I was curious how it would have played out.

Last I heard, if you don't place a defender but enter him into defense, he will get randomly placed on an empty node.