**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

With These 30 Minute Timers...

Vintage773Vintage773 Posts: 59
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
With these 30 minute timers, one has to wonder: why isn't this just the norm?

The state of the game has been shaky lately to say the least. As a result, you've given us 30 minute timers, which is very much appreciated. By giving this as compensation, and as a way to make our lives a little easier, you're saying that 30 minute timers are better for us essentially. Why does this have to be a reward, or a form of compensation? The vast majority of summoners would like this to be implemented on a permanent basis. It won't cost you anything in profit (at least not in a way I can think of at the moment), and it would make the majority of your consumers elated. Why save this as a form of compensation/reward, and not just give us this as a permanent fixture?

The argument that it isn't good for some summoners doesn't hold water, otherwise you'd essentially be penalizing us when you set 30 minute timers as opposed to rewarding/compensating us. And you're definitely not doing that.

tl;dr: you give us 30 minute timers as compensation/reward, there by admitting it's better for the vast majority of us. why not just make this a permanent fixture? costs you nothings, makes us happy, potentially helps prevent burnout, etc.

Comments

• Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    The way I understand it, is the 30 minute timers are usually given when something affects the amount of time you can access AQ. They may carry over for the week instead of the day, but thats usually what triggers it. What they are trying to avoid is alienating the player base that is not available when AQ begins. A lot of alliances have the "clear ASAP" mentality which is good. But a player who has 10 energy waste because theyre not available is seen as terrible even if theres a good reason for it. THATS the bad part, in their eyes, is alienating players from playing with others.

I get it, and I agree with it to an extent. I think they should rebuild AQ with 30 minute timers and go with one of two options: (keep in mind I come from a 5x5 alliance)
    1. More unlinked fights, but more fights, 30 minute timers.
    2. Same map/fights, but more links, but with 30 minute timers.

These options would have the effect of making it more skill based with more fights, or more alliance based with more links.
  • Vintage773Vintage773 Posts: 59
    edited July 2018
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    The way I understand it, is the 30 minute timers are usually given when something affects the amount of time you can access AQ. They may carry over for the week instead of the day, but thats usually what triggers it. What they are trying to avoid is alienating the player base that is not available when AQ begins. A lot of alliances have the "clear ASAP" mentality which is good. But a player who has 10 energy waste because theyre not available is seen as terrible even if theres a good reason for it. THATS the bad part, in their eyes, is alienating players from playing with others.

I get it, and I agree with it to an extent. I think they should rebuild AQ with 30 minute timers and go with one of two options: (keep in mind I come from a 5x5 alliance)

These options would have the effect of making it more skill based with more fights, or more alliance based with more links.

The timers this week for example, AQ wasn't down for any extended period. I mean iOS phones are overheating, but 30 minute timers do not help that at all. You still need to spend the same amount of time in AQ to engage in the same number of fights that take the same amount of time to complete when it's all said and done. It was given to us to make life a little easier, as an apology for all the issues lately. Which is something we greatly appreciate. So if you're giving this to us just to throw us a bone, the initial argument against implementing them permanently makes no sense. Following that logic, they're given to us to make things even more difficult, which is clearly not the case.
    edited July 2018
    shchong2 wrote: »
    30min timers work perfectly well for my Alliance who has NO ONE suffering from O.C.D.
    I can understand how crazy would it be for some alliance that has 15/30 members who live 24x7 in the game and have O.C.D. all day long to find 30min something extremely unbearable when someone else did NOT login for 5 hours.
    What they need is not timer change, what they need is DOCTOR, MEDICATION and TREATMENT.

I get that. But again, giving us these timers this week when there has been no extended AQ downtime kind of throws that argument out of the window. They've been given to us to make life a little easier in light of all the recent issues. As far as I can tell, that's an admittance and an acknowledgement on their part that they are in fact better for the vast majority.
    Vintage773 wrote: »

The timers this week for example, AQ wasn't down for any extended period. I mean iOS phones are overheating, but 30 minute timers do not help that at all. You still need to spend the same amount of time in AQ to engage in the same number of fights that take the same amount of time to complete when it's all said and done. It was given to us to make life a little easier, as an apology for all the issues lately. Which is something we greatly appreciate. So if you're giving this to us just to throw us a bone, the initial argument against implementing them permanently makes no sense. Following that logic, they're given to us to make things even more difficult, which is clearly not the case.

I view this one as some paths are longer and require 2 people to take to clear normally, with 1 hour timers. with 30 min timers, yes its the same fights and such, but they can log in for shorter periods of time more often with these kinds of timers, while helping alliances who may be a man or two down because of this issue.

I view this one as some paths are longer and require 2 people to take to clear normally, with 1 hour timers. with 30 min timers, yes its the same fights and such, but they can log in for shorter periods of time more often with these kinds of timers, while helping alliances who may be a man or two down because of this issue.

I hadn't considered that, I can see the logic in that.

The whole "they admitted it!" argument has been around for a little while. Its part of their lack of transparency IMO. They dont mention reasons even when it would help them. The basic facts here is some people can't log in, and some people can't have extended periods of time in the game. shorter timers dont help those specific people completely, but they help the alliance.

The whole "they admitted it!" argument has been around for a little while. Its part of their lack of transparency IMO. They dont mention reasons even when it would help them. The basic facts here is some people can't log in, and some people can't have extended periods of time in the game. shorter timers dont help those specific people completely, but they help the alliance.

For sure. I mean for the minority of people and alliance who benefit from having the one hour timers, they can still go on about their business the same as they always have. "Wasted energy" or not, they can still complete the quest in the same manner they always have. But for the majority of us, being able to get out of AQ earlier would be HUGE. Making AQ a full time commitment is far more inconvenient, in my opinion.

But, at least with what you pointed out, their reasoning stays consistent, albeit misguided.

For sure. I mean for the minority of people and alliance who benefit from having the one hour timers, they can still go on about their business the same as they always have. "Wasted energy" or not, they can still complete the quest in the same manner they always have. But for the majority of us, being able to get out of AQ earlier would be HUGE. Making AQ a full time commitment is far more inconvenient, in my opinion.

But, at least with what you pointed out, their reasoning stays consistent, albeit misguided.

You're assuming alliances would be happy to go about their day, when the reality is theyre not. They always want to improve, and if the possibility exists to finish early , they want that to free champs. What kabam wants to avoid is the "we'll hes available earlier, even though he might not be better"
  • SKOutsiderSKOutsider Posts: 117 ★★
    If 30 min timers were the norm then alliances would have less stress, this would be perceived more as something fun and people would be more willing to spend cash on it.

As it stands AQ and war are seen as a chore and are driving people away slowly but surely.

The timers don’t change the difficulty or item use in any way/shape or form but it does give us more time to play other aspects of the game (not this patch due to heated phones).

I can’t underatsnd why Kabam doesn’t see this as something that greatly benefits the community as a whole.
    SKOutsider wrote: »
    If 30 min timers were the norm then alliances would have less stress, this would be perceived more as something fun and people would be more willing to spend cash on it.

As it stands AQ and war are seen as a chore and are driving people away slowly but surely.

The timers don’t change the difficulty or item use in any way/shape or form but it does give us more time to play other aspects of the game (not this patch due to heated phones).

I can’t underatsnd why Kabam doesn’t see this as something that greatly benefits the community as a whole.

What you fail to mention is the studies kabam bases their model off of. The mechanic of energy and how they have it set up leads to the player logging in more during the day. Have you ever noticed you cant get from one section to the other with just 5 energy? thats almost guaranteed 6 times in 24 hours you are logging into MCOC. It doesnt matter what you do those times. its the number of times you do it. Because then its the, let me log in and check, oh I should be free soon, let me mess around in arena, let me clear some content, and then you're buying resources for said content. This isnt a theorized thing, this is what many companies base it off of.
  • RJ03RJ03 Posts: 67
    Piviot wrote: »
    30 minute timers is not compensation

They’ve said multiple times that 30 minute timers hurt us so that’s why it’s an hour

The 30 min timers they give us they screwing us even more(from what they post)

lool
  • JRock808JRock808 Posts: 1,149 ★★★★
    30 minute timers make AQ actually fun again. You can race your ally mates to the end, you can try new things and not have to worry about holding people up. It really transforms a mode that is more work than fun into something enjoyable.

Alas, they think 30 minute timers are worse than 1 hour, so they give them to us as a treat or compensation... I don’t get it. But Kabam will Kabam.
  • AsmodeyusAsmodeyus Posts: 217
    I do think the 30m timers need to stay. Mostly because im not stressing on if i moved, whos waiting, etc. Its a MASSIVE relief. I have flexibility to run other maps, let my phone charge while its NOT in my hands, or heaven forbid a soild 6+ hours of sleep
  • roberto94roberto94 Posts: 779 ★★
    Piviot wrote: »
    30 minute timers is not compensation

They’ve said multiple times that 30 minute timers hurt us so that’s why it’s an hour

The 30 min timers they give us they screwing us even more(from what they post)

I may have missed that but how does a 30 minutes time hurt us?
  • OrdalcaOrdalca Posts: 543 ★★★
    edited July 2018
    roberto94 wrote: »
    I may have missed that but how does a 30 minutes time hurt us?

It's something Kabam's mods have said previously when we ask for the 30 minute timers to be permanent.

This thread is talking about how giving us 30m timers when we still have full uptime means that either they were lying about the timers hurting us, or they are hurting us on top of the existing issues.
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, but that model was designed when there wasn't much else going on. Now with AW being around, and being the most competitive part of the game, with the new Uncollected difficulty, with the micro realm/dimensional rifts incentivizing us to complete the lesser difficulties as well, the added arenas, we have more to do now then ever before. That wasn't the case when they originally designed and put out AQ.

It just seems that they desperately need to build some good will, and this would certainly do that for the vast majority of players.
  • DoctorJDoctorJ Posts: 842 ★★★
    The reason they dont give 30 min timers as a permanent thing is because they want you to login more often. The more someone who spends logs in, more chance for them to spend. Simple as that.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    DoctorJ wrote: »
    The reason they dont give 30 min timers as a permanent thing is because they want you to login more often. The more someone who spends logs in, more chance for them to spend. Simple as that.

I agree but also see this as dumb logic on Kabams part.

Locking top champs in AQ (and AW) limits the amount of time I can use the champs I want/need to clear monthly EQ and story mode. So in that regard, 1 hour timers limits when I can use my champs in other ev nys.

The 30 minute timers allows for the opportunity to clear more quickly (if we choose to, but doesn’t require or guarantee that we’ll clear faster than 1 hour timers) and then I’m free to play other areas in the game I need my top champs for.

I guess they figure I’ll just take the B team and pay for more resources to get them through, but that’s not the case. Instead, I play less with 1 hour timers because I’m stuck waiting for the best champs.

I love the 30m timers and find myself doing more in the game because of them.

• ChenChen Posts: 115
    1 hour timers were designed to have alliances work as a team and get things done. With the ranked system they're hope was that some alliances wouldn't finish AQ hence a drop in rank. With 30 minute timers everyone will finish AQ and then it all relies on prestige on who gets the highest rank. All in all 30 minute timers has made the game mode fun again and not such a grind and since they've taken out rank and put in peak milestones it's not as much of a competition with other alliances as it is all about prestige now.
  • BenLucasBenLucas Posts: 69
    Some extra reasons (not that I agree with them): 30 min timers would allow us to use top teams in both AQ and then AW. Also, 30min timers would help working thru map6, which kabam also wants to keep limits on.

The thing is that this would cut the overall amount of time in-game for players, which is a metric that developers want to increase rather than decrease. Better content would achieve that though.....

Sadly, kabam says they want to listen to the community, but this long-running request has always been ignored. Some alternative solutions could be explored, for instance 45min timers or increasing the total AQ energy from 5/5 to 6/6. probably other meet-in-the-middle solutions out there.

This would be a very substantive improvement to the MCOC gaming experience but that might not be the developers priority.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    I think they should get rid of timers completely. It doesn't matter how long it takes to complete, there is no competition to know when an alliance finishes. Everything resets in 24 hours.

If they remove timers, you will find out that you can plan accordingly with your teammates, even if they are in different timezones, and you can still go to bed at a normal hour. You can also concentrate on other things and have your champions available for questing.

People like to cry about the timers being too short, but it would be better for everyone's health not to need to login throughout the whole day. At least, make that a normal decision on my part. Not joining an alliance is the only other way not to spend your life checking on your phone.
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 762 ★★★
    edited July 2018
    Chen wrote: »
    1 hour timers were designed to have alliances work as a team and get things done. With the ranked system they're hope was that some alliances wouldn't finish AQ hence a drop in rank. With 30 minute timers everyone will finish AQ and then it all relies on prestige on who gets the highest rank. All in all 30 minute timers has made the game mode fun again and not such a grind and since they've taken out rank and put in peak milestones it's not as much of a competition with other alliances as it is all about prestige now.

And you know what they say about 100% AW shouldn't be a norm *Hint hint*. I can absolutely see bigger map, increased nodes and/or triple boosted with degens and dominoids everywhere if timer becomes 30 min. Yes it can hurt us.
This discussion has been closed.