**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

My agony of a duped, and unduped, Doctor Voodoo

ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
Hello, folks. I am sure I am not the only one who has this conundrum. I am truly torn about what to do.

First, as a solo player, resource allocation is basically everything. It's the game. You simply cannot go around burning T4cc like they grow on trees.

So I have a duped Doctor Voodoo at 3/30. An unduped Doctor Voodoo at 1/25. I have hoarded enough Mystic T4cc to R4 the 5-star Voodoo. But again...he is unduped.

Now, don't get me wrong: I am not one of those people who thinks he isn't very good unduped. I could certainly get good usage out of him.

But. I also am one of those people who thinks the right 4-stars are still highly, highly effective. A 5/50 DV, duped and at a high sig level like I have...I mean, that's hitting every bit as hard as a 3/45, and then some for an average character.

The long game probably says...take up the 5-star. Even unduped. Right?

Or no, because of the resource allocation for a character who isn't as effective unduped?

I keep going in circles on this. Anyone got an opinion?

Comments

• Noob2435Noob2435 Posts: 627 ★★★
    Depends where you're in the game, if you need that 4* duped voodoo go for it. There's no guarantee you'll ever dupe that five star.
  • Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,173 ★★★
    I have unduped Voodoo r3 5 star. I also have about 6 to 7 other unduped 5 stars at r3. Out of all r3 vodoo is the least used. So that speaks something. By the way I love my R4 3 star maxed out vodoo lol. I have 4 star vodoo again unduped. So I'm not using vodoo much. I have 3 R4 5 stars, 2 6 stars.
  • Noob2435Noob2435 Posts: 627 ★★★
    I was in a similar situation and I upgraded the 4* voodoo first but with my luck duped the 5* two openings later. I don't regret ranking him now, but at the moment I was a bit mad.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Noob2435 wrote: »
    Depends where you're in the game, if you need that 4* duped voodoo go for it. There's no guarantee you'll ever dupe that five star.

That is the killer in this game. I agree: I might not ever get that 5-star duped

Anurag1606 wrote: »
    I have unduped Voodoo r3 5 star. I also have about 6 to 7 other unduped 5 stars at r3. Out of all r3 vodoo is the least used. So that speaks something. By the way I love my R4 3 star maxed out vodoo lol. I have 4 star vodoo again unduped. So I'm not using vodoo much. I have 3 R4 5 stars, 2 6 stars.

Thanks...that does say a lot. I always feel like if a character truly stands out amongst his peers, even unduped, the usage will show

Noob2435 wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation and I upgraded the 4* voodoo first but with my luck duped the 5* two openings later. I don't regret ranking him now, but at the moment I was a bit mad.

That would be a tough one...been holding out for months, but I want to open up some possibilities for maybe closing out Act 5. I realize that you need at least a couple heavy hitters to do that, but it's hard to project if the 5/50 or the unduped 4/55 would help me more.

Any thoughts on that?
  • Alpha07Alpha07 Posts: 649 ★★
    edited September 2018
    A good 5/50 is better than a meh 4/55.

That said, when my 4* DV was unduped honestly I didn't find him to be very great and he relies too much on RNG, I only had him at 3/30 until I duped him. but he becomes awesome when Duped, even as a 4* he has helped me a lot on Act 5 (especially the explosive armor paths, or when the opponents have a lot of buffs he'll kill them fast and let's not forget his power control).

Go and rank up the 4*, the 5* wouldn't help that much Unduped.
    Alpha07 wrote: »
    A good 5/50 is better than a meh 4/55.

That said, when my 4* DV was unduped honestly I didn't find him to be very great and he relies too much on RNG, I only had him at 3/30 until I duped him. but he becomes awesome when Duped, even as a 4* he has helped me a lot on Act 5 (especially the explosive armor paths, or when the opponents have a lot of buffs he'll kill them fast and let's not forget his power control).

Go and rank up the 4*, the 5* wouldn't help that much Unduped.

Thanks for the insight -- I appreciate you taking the time!

• JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    I don’t think I would rank either.

I brought my voodoo to 4/55 unduped and he rode the bench, I regretted ranking him. Then I pulled a mystic gem, awakened him, and he ended up being my first 5/65 and wrecks everything now.

I also had a 4* duped voodoo that I didn’t rank because I knew eventually I would rank my 5*.
  • Chris1212123Chris1212123 Posts: 320
    As you only have the 4* at rank 3 you should concentrate on the 5* you haven’t committed much to the 4* yet so go with the 5 and hope you dupe him soon.
    JC_ wrote: »
    I don’t think I would rank either.

I brought my voodoo to 4/55 unduped and he rode the bench, I regretted ranking him. Then I pulled a mystic gem, awakened him, and he ended up being my first 5/65 and wrecks everything now.

I also had a 4* duped voodoo that I didn’t rank because I knew eventually I would rank my 5*.

Thanks, man. I'll take another look at the roster, see what's there. Hearing that a 4/55 rode the bench is sobering. I can't burn resources like that, for sure
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    I took my awakened 4* to R5. I think waiting for a certain champ can sometimes be a good idea, but also you may be waiting forever so I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to go ahead and take the 4* up
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    A voodoo comes in handy for any of the act 5 paths that proc buffs and such. so much poison. and you get an awakening at the end. If you are far along, r4 him now and awaken him after if you wish.

I think I would focus more on the t2a than the mystic t4cc. I wouldn't want to use the t2a on an unduped 5*, barring a few specific champs, and I don't think voodoo is one of them. I would take up the 4* and save the t2a unless you're about to let some overflow.
  • 10or_Strong10or_Strong Posts: 1,195 ★★★
    I have both a maxed 4* awakened DV, max sig, and an unawakened 5* DV rank 3. The awakened definitely has been useful through the first 3 chapters of Act 5 (I'm working through Ch. 4 now) and he remains a viable champ even in his 4* state. I would suggest, with where it sounds like you are, that you focus on that 4* and max him out; he'll remain useful for a long while to come, I think.

Now, if you're close to another 5* crystal, maybe give yourself until then just in case you happen to draw that dupe for your 5*… ;)
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    It really depends on a few factors. Do you have a power control champ already? Have you finished all content that allows you an awakening gem, ie LOL, 5.3 and 5.4? If you already have a decent power control champ maybe ranking DV isn’t the right choice. If you’ve already collected the 5* awakening gems, didn’t get a mystic and used the generic, he might not be right either. But I would argue DV is worth the generic 5* awakening gem from Act 5. You could even pull a mystic from the other two crystals. I had a 4/55 unduped DV for ~8 months before I was able to finally dupe him. He still has pretty reliable power control on L2 which can be very useful if that’s something you need. You should be sure to evaluate your needs and keep in mind there are a few sources of 5* awakening gems, provided you didn’t collect them already.
    Hey, everyone: Thanks for the feedback. Seriously. I read every comment, and I appreciate all of you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

My biggest problem is that I'm a decent player, but not truly good, if I'm being honest. I can admit it.

It's not that I don't evade or intercept. I just don't do both of those enough against harder content. Which means I consistently take too much chip damage for the endgame using 5/50s or, on a bad day, actually get hit.

Some people totally completed/100 percented Act 5 with 5/50s. I know that, and I give those people credit. I just am not quite that good to where I can honestly say I can do that -- I basically need at least two characters that hit as hard, maybe three, and have as much extra health, as a solid-to-good 4/55 can offer.

I have enough T2A to run three characters at 4/55. One of them is already there: Cap (IW). The second is very, very, very likely going to be Killmonger. I have the T4cc for him to go up to 4/55, as well.

I have done some reading and that's why the Doctor Voodoo question has nagged at me -- I am aware that some people had very good success in 5.3/5.4 with the character. But again, those players who used him at 5/50 likely were just skilled enough more than me to be able to pull that off, which obviously is a credit to them.

So, yeah. That's where I am. I'm always honest about it: I'm decent at the game, but not truly good/great. I wish I could hammer this stuff out with 5/50s, because my four-stars have been stacked for a long time, but my 5-star pulls are just tough -- either outright bad or I simply can't get the right ones duped

OneManArmy wrote: »
    i have dupe maxed out 4* and 5* dupe 3/45. you can have both

Trust me, I see what you're saying. I have thought about that, as well. It's a tough call because of the resource allocation, but I could do it that way. Have enough Mystic cats to run a 5/50 and 4/55 DV. Would rather not, but could
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    @ESF after I read your comment, I want to make clear I am not saying voodoo is a lane clearer, period. If thats what you want, you'll want the 4/55. that being said, when I say voodoo for act 5, its almost 1-2 sp1 and theyre dead. you don't need to take block damage because the fight is so short. If you need someone in general for act 5, then 5*. If you're looking overall roster for act 5, 4*
  • Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,173 ★★★
    @ESF why don't you bring Voodoo to 3/45 while unduped. See how you like him. Personally I have him at 3/45 unduped and I don't use him much. Other 3/45 for me being LC, AA, Angela, km, modok, yondu. Only LC being duped.
  • ESF wrote: »
    I have enough T2A to run three characters at 4/55. One of them is already there: Cap (IW). The second is very, very, very likely going to be Killmonger. I have the T4cc for him to go up to 4/55, as well.

I'd say do nothing. You've got the resources to rank up three 4/55s. You've done one. I don't know how much game time you've had with him to evaluate how strong he is or what your strengths and weaknesses are with him. You apparently haven't ranked up Kilmonger yet. So you have no idea what a CapIW + Kilmonger team is going to do for you, or what you are going to want to add to it the most. So in my opinion, you do not spend that last set of T2A. You rank up Kilmonger, and you see what Cap+KM looks like in harder content. Once you've gotten significant time getting to know that team, you'll be in a better position to answer the question: rank up 5/50 DV, get on the path to 4/55 DV, or wait for something else entirely.

You can't undo rank ups, so you do not want to rush into them. Act 5's still going to be there tomorrow.
  • raffsterraffster Posts: 1,071 ★★★
    if you need usefullness take up the 4*. if you thinking long term take up the 5*.

i R5d my 4* voodoo then ranked him down last December to R4 5* GR. then I just waited a bit and ended up duping 5* Voodoo. It will happen. it's just a matter of when.

kuzt1u89xx3y.jpeg
  • OneManArmy wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »
    OneManArmy wrote: »
    i have dupe maxed out 4* and 5* dupe 3/45. you can have both

Trust me, I see what you're saying. I have thought about that, as well. It's a tough call because of the resource allocation, but I could do it that way. Have enough Mystic cats to run a 5/50 and 4/55 DV. Would rather not, but could

I dont think you do know what im saying. im literally saying YOU can have both of MINE, DV is the most overrated champ in this game

Heck I'll take 'um.
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    @ESF after I read your comment, I want to make clear I am not saying voodoo is a lane clearer, period. If thats what you want, you'll want the 4/55. that being said, when I say voodoo for act 5, its almost 1-2 sp1 and theyre dead. you don't need to take block damage because the fight is so short. If you need someone in general for act 5, then 5*. If you're looking overall roster for act 5, 4*

Understood -- I knew that was what you were likely getting at. Cap (IW) and a 5/50 Hyperion would likely be my damage dealers, Killmonger my all-around character, a 5/50 OG Vision as my immunity/power control, and a 3/45 Archangel, 5/50 Iceman and possibly the Voodoo as my No. 5, depending on the map/lane
    Anurag1606 wrote: »
    @ESF why don't you bring Voodoo to 3/45 while unduped. See how you like him. Personally I have him at 3/45 unduped and I don't use him much. Other 3/45 for me being LC, AA, Angela, km, modok, yondu. Only LC being duped.

I have considered that. I do think the character is good unduped. Not great. Good. I have to be careful with resource commitments, mainly gold, but I have little doubt that I would like to have DV at 4/55, all things being even, which means at some point, I can't be terrified to commit if he's not duped right now.

DV absolutely is in my Top 10 character rankings. The only reason I hadn't already taken the four-star up is that it took me forever to pull him, and I used a Mystic gem on him, then I pulled the five-star a month later, so I have been playing the waiting game for about six or seven months hoping for the 5-star dupe, knowing the odds aren't great

DNA3000 wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »

I'd say do nothing. You've got the resources to rank up three 4/55s. You've done one. I don't know how much game time you've had with him to evaluate how strong he is or what your strengths and weaknesses are with him. You apparently haven't ranked up Kilmonger yet. So you have no idea what a CapIW + Kilmonger team is going to do for you, or what you are going to want to add to it the most. So in my opinion, you do not spend that last set of T2A. You rank up Kilmonger, and you see what Cap+KM looks like in harder content. Once you've gotten significant time getting to know that team, you'll be in a better position to answer the question: rank up 5/50 DV, get on the path to 4/55 DV, or wait for something else entirely.

You can't undo rank ups, so you do not want to rush into them. Act 5's still going to be there tomorrow.

All of this is true...patience is certainly a virtue. I am pretty good with Cap, at least in terms of my overall average skill level. It's almost physically impossible to be bad with Killmonger, you know? Probably the easiest character to fight with in the game.

Trust me, I am very, very careful with the high-end resources. As a solo player, nothing dominates my thinking more than making sure I extract maximum value out of the stuff that is not easy to get for me
  • FlyingPigsFlyingPigs Posts: 28
    Have Dr Voodoo at 4/55 and 5/50.

No regrets whatsoever. His regen is just so useful for the occasional mess up and dmg output (for poison susceptible opponents) is great. Power control comes in handy in some situations.

One of the first names on my team.
  • arni2arni2 Posts: 362 ★★
    Dr. Voodoo is one of the best champions in the game, even with current meta.
    Undupped he still has:
    • 10% regen at the begging of the fight.
    • 50% chance to convert loas to poison
    • 50% chance to power burn opponents
    • power drain on sp3

But when you awaken him, he becomes a god!
    • 20% regen at the begging of the fight.
    • On even combo his accuracy ability rises by 100%, this means 100% chance to convert loas to poison, power burn, 20% regen, 20% chance to apply loas
    • sp2 huge power burn (amazing power control)
    • on odd combo he reduces accuracy abilities of his opponents by 50% (no matter which class they are), he can prevent limbo, evade, power gain, ice armor and many more
    • on odd combo his debuffs last longer (depends on sig ability), you can parry and get double of stun time.

You can learn more about him here: