**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Still Reading Comics

I'm 42 years old, love this game, and still love Marvel comics, which I've been reading since I was about 10 years old.

I know a lot of people were introduced/re-introduced to the Marvel universe through the MCU, but I'm wondering how many people out there that play MCOC are still reading Marvel Comics...

Which series do you read? Which are your favorites? If you don't read them, and used to, which ones do you miss?

Comments

• ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,744 ★★★★★
    I've read the entire original xen run. My favorite. Deadpool as well
  • Samspade23Samspade23 Posts: 549 ★★
    I'm a pretty avid reader of comics. Nowadays I do it thru the marvel comics unlimited app on my phone and tablet. It's like 70 bucks a year and it has just about everything you could possibly want to read there.

I really enjoyed Secret Warriors from 2009. It's almost like G.I. Joe in the marvel universe but oriented more for adults. Has alot of obscure characters and some of them get messed up hard.

I could list things forever but I highly recommend Ed Brubakers captain America, secret Avengers, and the New Avengers by Brian Michael bendis. Dan Scott had an excellent run on spider man as well.
  • KrumbledkookieKrumbledkookie Posts: 273
    Samspade23 wrote: »
    I could list things forever but I highly recommend Ed Brubakers captain America, secret Avengers, and the New Avengers by Brian Michael bendis. Dan Scott had an excellent run on spider man as well.

Bendis's run on Jessica Jones was really good as well. He is a terrific writer, most everything he did was pretty grand. But Jessica Jones really stands out to me.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,541 ★★★★★
    Little bit of everything, but standouts over last few years would include Lemire Moon Knight and contemporaneous Moon Knight series (I believe Bendis is working on recent run)...anything Strange but notably Last Days of Magic and Damnation...Matt Fraction on Hawkeye as well as Kate Bishop follow-on (hey, there’s an idea for a MCoC legacy champ that might not be awful!).

Dr. Zola
  • NEO_mr_AndersonNEO_mr_Anderson Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    I'm 53 and I've been introduced to comic book by my father.
    Had a huge collection before. Now, with Marvel unlimited, it's much better.
    My fav was She-Hulk by John Byrne, where the forth wall breaks.
    All mutants, Nova (Rich Ryder) and Hulk.
  • JayBird_IsTheWordJayBird_IsTheWord Posts: 159 ★★
    Still an avid reader, though I'm having trouble deciding which series I want to dig into next. Was a big fan of the Bendis run on Ultimate Spider-Man, though I feel like I may have made that pretty obvious already.

For an outside the box one, "circle of 4" teams up agent venom, ghost rider, x23, and red hulk to save the world from mephisto son blackheart who is trying to literally bring hell to earth. Great art, good story, and not the most common characters. Very good, 6 part series so not too long.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    I haven’t kept up with Marvel since they rebooted their universe. I thought their Infinity crossover event was one of the best stories they ever did, the buildup to the final showdown against The Builders was epic. I also really enjoyed AXIS, World War Hulk, and Time Runs Out.
  • Подскажите как можно поменять пароль на игру если номера телефона нет того куда зарегистрирован акк, спасибо!!
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    I haven’t kept up with Marvel since they rebooted their universe. I thought their Infinity crossover event was one of the best stories they ever did, the buildup to the final showdown against The Builders was epic. I also really enjoyed AXIS, World War Hulk, and Time Runs Out.

they've never rebooted the universe.

I've been reading stuff avidly since 2012 or so. My current reading list includes:
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men Red
    Shatterstar
    Iceman
    Avengers
    Thor
    Tony Stark: Iron Man
    Fantastic 4
    West Coast Avengers
    Asgardians of the Galaxy
    Unstoppable Wasp
    Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl
    Ms Marvel
    Jessica Jones
    Immortal Hulk
    Mr and Mrs X
    Spider-Geddon related stuff
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Champions

I can recommend all of them, plus Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Phoenix: Resurrection, the Rogue and Gambit mini, Fearless Defenders, the CoC tie-in comic, Al Ewing's Mighty/Captain America and the Mighty/New/US Avengers series of titles, Ultimates and Ultimates 2 by Ewing, the recent Bendis Defenders series, Patsy Walker aka Hellcat and the Charles Soule She-Hulk, although the art takes getting used to.
  • FungeonFungeon Posts: 124
    Haven't kept up with Marvel comics for about 2 years, I really need to read the newer comics, any recommendations? I heard Infinity Countdown is fun. A lot of folks online just seem to praise the older series and complain about the "SJW stuff" in the current ones.
  • Great thread! I read comics pretty casually and with some inconsistency (meaning I bounce around a lot), but I gobble up Moon Knight comics any time I see a new one pop up. I also grab Ghost Rider and Daredevil comics whenever I can, too. I am and always have been a big fan of the Marvel Knights, so I love reading any of the heroes that have been involved with them, current or not.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,675 ★★★★★
    Stopped after the Onslaught event way back when.
  • Samspade23Samspade23 Posts: 549 ★★
    Fungeon wrote: »
    Haven't kept up with Marvel comics for about 2 years, I really need to read the newer comics, any recommendations? I heard Infinity Countdown is fun. A lot of folks online just seem to praise the older series and complain about the "SJW stuff" in the current ones.

Depends on what you like. I'm a big fan of uncanny x force and uncanny avengers by Rick remember. It has great art and some out there story telling.

Pretty much anything Jason Aaron has done with wolverine and the x men and thor have been really good.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,541 ★★★★★
    edited November 2018
    @Samspade23 forgot how much I enjoyed those Remender XForce comics—good call!

@NEO_mr_Anderson pretty much anything Byrne is solid...his ‘80’s run with Claremont on X-Men and MTU was fun, as was his long FF tenure (200ish to 300ish) which was a high point of that title in my opinion.

Kabam Custos new MK is encouraging...and I was wrong re: recent run, which was Max Bemis. Still fun and weird, but that’s Marc Spector...

Dr. Zola
    The Max Bemis run on Moon Knight was indeed terrific.

Champions is a series I didn't think I'd enjoy because it seems to be aimed at much younger audiences, but i was wrong. That's a fun and interesting group of characters.

I'm a big fan of anything Inhumans-related. The Death of the Inhumans tract that just wrapped up was very good until the final issue. I have read it three times and I still don't get what happened.

• SMNYSMNY Posts: 69
    45 years old. I still download pre-Early 90s stuff to my iPad. Comics were awesome up until PolyBagegeddon.
  • Still an avid reader, though I'm having trouble deciding which series I want to dig into next. Was a big fan of the Bendis run on Ultimate Spider-Man, though I feel like I may have made that pretty obvious already.

For an outside the box one, "circle of 4" teams up agent venom, ghost rider, x23, and red hulk to save the world from mephisto son blackheart who is trying to literally bring hell to earth. Great art, good story, and not the most common characters. Very good, 6 part series so not too long.

Ooh, sounds exciting. Thanks for the recommendation!
    @Sundance_2099 The 2015 Secret Wars event rebooted the Marvel Multiverse. Miles Morales is in the same Universe as Earth 616 characters now because Marvel decider not to keep the Ultimate Universe going after the final incursion started God Emperor Doom’s reign over Battleworld.
  • A_Noob_Is1A_Noob_Is1 Posts: 762 ★★
    Comics I miss were Hickmans fantastic four, OML, and I really loved superior spider man.
    no, it didn't. 616 continuity still exists as it did. they folded in some Ultimate characters, and some from other universes - Hyperion, Nighthawk and the others from the last Squadron Supreme series, but for all intents and purposes, it's still the same universe it was before the Final Incursion. Not like DC and their accursed "Crisis" malarkey where some stuff counts and some doesn't and some characters don't exist any more and some do, but with new origins.
  • WelderofortuneWelderofortune Posts: 527 ★★
    edited November 2018
    Superior spiderman is my favorite marvel comic run
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★
    Anything Frank Miller has done
    MSRDLD wrote: »
    Anything Frank Miller has done

Elektra. Classic.
    no, it didn't. 616 continuity still exists as it did. they folded in some Ultimate characters, and some from other universes - Hyperion, Nighthawk and the others from the last Squadron Supreme series, but for all intents and purposes, it's still the same universe it was before the Final Incursion. Not like DC and their accursed "Crisis" malarkey where some stuff counts and some doesn't and some characters don't exist any more and some do, but with new origins.

@Sundance_2099 We're only disagreeing on semantics. I used the term reboot because multiple media sources were throwing that term around before and after that Secret Wars event:

https://www.inverse.com/article/6390-explaining-marvel-s-all-new-all-different-series-reboot

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-marvels-secret-wars-reboot-765457
    A_Noob_Is1 wrote: »
    Comics I miss were Hickmans fantastic four, OML, and I really loved superior spider man.

Hickman's a legend

@Sundance_2099 We're only disagreeing on semantics. I used the term reboot because multiple media sources were throwing that term around before and after that Secret Wars event:

https://www.inverse.com/article/6390-explaining-marvel-s-all-new-all-different-series-reboot

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-marvels-secret-wars-reboot-765457

yeah, and they were wrong then and anyone calling it that is wrong now.
  • Warboy_007Warboy_007 Posts: 16
    I read a lot of Marvel and DC comics.....currently on Infinity wars.....love it!!!
    N hope to get characters like Ghost panther and Caotain Strange