**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Arena Matchups - "Easy" vs. "Hard" - Not right

So recently I have been noticing some discrepancies when I am in Arena. Specifically, the designation of Easy, Medium and Hard when in the Series Match - Opponent Select screen.

As I progress through matches in the 5-star bracket, for example, as I get into harder matches - where I am fighting 3 heroes that are 5 Star, Rank 5 - all of them - it is listed as "EASY". (You know those "impossible" fights.) Similarly, when I get into the later matches, which are fairly trivial - where I am fighting 5 Star, Rank 1/2 - it is listed as "HARD".

See screenshot below for an example:

lyjy5ekq40xc.jpg

Something is not right with this.

You need to fix it.

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,956 ★★★★★
    It depends on the matchups that you are getting. Some of those fights might be Kangs/Thanos teams where they are high PI but easy fights. 1 screenshot doesn't help us help you.
  • MyradralMyradral Posts: 154
    This is pretty simple. If a team has a PI of 40,000 - it shouldn't be listed as "EASY".

If it has a PI of 10,000, it shouldn't be listed as hard.

I can post screen shots all day,... but the issue is still there.
  • Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    I've ignored the "Easy", "Medium", "Hard" designations for years as they seem largely irrelevant to the fights themselves.

What do they really indicate? It doesn't appear to be PI as the fights are listed in ascending PI order from top to bottom but it's not uncommon to see a "Medium" sandwiched between two "Hards". I always assumed it was tied to the likelihood of throwing a special (with "Hard" being the least likely), but I haven't tested this.

Is there any concrete information on what these designations actually mean?
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,956 ★★★★★
    I've ignored the "Easy", "Medium", "Hard" designations for years as they seem largely irrelevant to the fights themselves.

What do they really indicate? It doesn't appear to be PI as the fights are listed in ascending PI order from top to bottom but it's not uncommon to see a "Medium" sandwiched between two "Hards". I always assumed it was tied to the likelihood of throwing a special (with "Hard" being the least likely), but I haven't tested this.

Is there any concrete information on what these designations actually mean?

I don't think there is. I think it has to do more with the actual matchups itself. I don't run arena often at all but I want to say that the Kang and Thanos team fights are listed as Easy even though they are 5/65 5*'s. Those teams don't have masteries and are basic fights. It's hard to say what they really quantify as "easy, medium, hard". To Kabam, the infinite streak doesn't "exist" either. I wouldn't ever worry about any of the fights saying difficulty but more on how to achieve the infinite streak to get those Kang/Thanos team fights.
  • Just look at the overall team rating of the 3 choices, the rating of the listed top opponent on that potential team (to make sure the Arena engine didn’t sneak in an “unbalanced” choice for opponent team, like we use if needed for some final matches before Streak 15), and class matchup or hero that you know you don’t like fighting.

Easy-Medium-Hard wording is probably more to do with class matchups of the choices, as well as the bottom choice normally having Suicide or other such best Masteries and top choice being a lower Mastery setup opponent.
  • klq8lg3fvgh3.jpg
  • MyradralMyradral Posts: 154
    edited February 2019
    @N8Ricker Good example of what I am talking about.

So you have 3 5 star heroes - probably unduped............ overall PI for all three equals 16.8K.

You are fighting - a range of 30 - 35K........... all showing "EASY". All of these heroes you fight will be 5 Star, Rank 5 - mostly duped, with high signature levels.

Chance of winning........... basically zero, unless you have some very good class advantage.

I am not saying I expect to win every fight - but the "Easy, Medium, Hard" designation should at least be representative of the match-ups............ which it is not. Not even close.

• jlamadisonjlamadison Posts: 274
    i think it's more about how aggressive the ai fights.
  • NEO_mr_AndersonNEO_mr_Anderson Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    jlamadison wrote: »

This...
  • SUIC1DESUIC1DE Posts: 20
    jlamadison wrote: »

Part 1 of my post is this. Easy, med, hard is ai aggressive levels in my experience.

Part 2 is you probably hit a Death Squad from messing up the algorithm with you champ selections
  • _I__I_ Posts: 306
    edited February 2019
    I have noticed it long time back that the top option is always the easiest of the three options to pick a fight. whenever I have chosen second or third option I have ended up loosing my streak. I am speaking abt 5* arena only.
  • When you are just entering above the Streak=15 point (maybe up to around 18) and are using borderline strength teams (just above needed minimum for that match #), you might get the 3rd option being still a death squad, while 1st option would be a normal (near equivalent) strength matchup to preserve your streak. Thus the need to not just blindly choose the 3rd matchup by default.
    Once further into Streak, it is more definitive (either you met the minimum to stay in Streak and all choices are reasonable, or all 3 will be death matchup).
  • MJ_no7MJ_no7 Posts: 17
    This is the level of AI you are facing. It has nothing to do with PI
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,722 ★★★★★
    Slightly off-topic. I am encountering the same Summoner's champ on arena fights.

I think it is coincidental, and I do notice the frequency of facing Medusa when I have Mordo in the line-up.
  • MrTicTac19992008MrTicTac19992008 Posts: 572 ★★
    N8Ricker wrote: »
    klq8lg3fvgh3.jpg

These may be classed as easy as they have suicides on which makes any champ easy to fight as long as you don't get hit. They die pretty quick.