Comments

• Options
    CrusherOfDreamsCrusherOfDreams Posts: 1,370 ★★★
    Anyone else have possible solutions?
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,699 Guardian
    Shrimkins wrote: »

I've noticed people are basically using the "flag" function as a dislike or disagree button which is not what it's intended to be.

Granted, I typically flag stuff like "kabam u suck y u nerf my champs u 2 greedy n leave bugs in game to make money" as spam even though it's not exactly spam. To me it's just a meaningless and ignorant to say stuff like that so I flag it as spam.

Maybe just straight up adding a dislike button is a better choice. I always thought it would have been a more appropriate reaction to the majority of the posts on the old forum.

As with any community managed system, there will be people who simply use the system to voice dissatisfaction with a poster. Someone flagged two of my posts in rapid succession as spam, and I couldn't figure out why until I traced back the reports. I won't say who or why, but it did tell me the posts were not being flagged for any content issue, and thus there was nothing I could really do to avoid those flags.

Ultimately, I believe the most effective way to counter being flagged is to try harder to contribute positively. I believe that over long enough stretches of time, positive contributions will outweigh occasional negative flagging.
  • Options
    spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    Points?

I wish this forum had a better way to view the threads you've posted in. Seeing a notification for each individual new post rather than a notification for just the threads with new posts is pretty annoying and it makes things hard to track/find when you need them later.
  • Options
    MayhemEffectMayhemEffect Posts: 112
    actually you can. if you go into your profile you can click on your comments as the old forums worked and get into the threads that way.

or

If you want to target the flagging positive or negative you can click on your metrics and sift through them that way. though there seems to be a time limit to it keeping track. that way.
  • Options
    spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    actually you can. if you go into your profile you can click on your comments as the old forums worked and get into the threads that way.

or

If you want to target the flagging positive or negative you can click on your metrics and sift through them that way. though there seems to be a time limit to it keeping track. that way.

Thanks. That's better. Still not as good as the old forum though.
  • Options
    VandalSavageVandalSavage Posts: 267 ★★
    I've been reported several times for abuse, and there's no good reason why. I'm not going to call out any names, or I'll have like 3 or 4 guys jump on my throat, but I think that there should be a way to negate these reports. I'm pretty sure that, after being reported, I noticed the "points" statistic drop. I don't really know what this affects, but I still don't want it there. I just don't like that I could go report some random guy because he has Luke Cage as his avatar when I don't like Luke Cage, and that report negatively affects his profile. I don't know how to make this work, but I really want this portion to be changed a bit.

It seems that the point system affects people's perception of your post content when compared to others.

For instance, suppose there are two posters available for comparison. One posted 215 times and accumulated 88 points. The other posted 115 times and accumulated a whopping -31 points.

I will conclude that the poster with -31 points has an actual "fan" base while you are just average.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,265 ★★★★★
    I've been reported several times for abuse, and there's no good reason why. I'm not going to call out any names, or I'll have like 3 or 4 guys jump on my throat, but I think that there should be a way to negate these reports. I'm pretty sure that, after being reported, I noticed the "points" statistic drop. I don't really know what this affects, but I still don't want it there. I just don't like that I could go report some random guy because he has Luke Cage as his avatar when I don't like Luke Cage, and that report negatively affects his profile. I don't know how to make this work, but I really want this portion to be changed a bit.

It seems that the point system affects people's perception of your post content when compared to others.

For instance, suppose there are two posters available for comparison. One posted 215 times and accumulated 88 points. The other posted 115 times and accumulated a whopping -31 points.

I will conclude that the poster with -31 points has an actual "fan" base while you are just average.

It's not really a good indicator, though. Some are just Flag-Happy and automatically Flag anything someone says based on dislike for the person. That's why I don't really check the Points before I take someone's comments into account. I base it on the content of what they're saying.
  • Options
    MayhemEffectMayhemEffect Posts: 112

It's not really a good indicator, though. Some are just Flag-Happy and automatically Flag anything someone says based on dislike for the person. That's why I don't really check the Points before I take someone's comments into account. I base it on the content of what they're saying.
    I believe that was his point.
  • Options
    Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★

The forums not a place for rant threads, that's considered abuse.
  • Options

I believe that was his point.

Ah. Well, then I agree. Lol. I don't use that as a gauge on someone's validity.
  • Options
    Are points good or bad? I have 7. I want 7 to be good.
    Yes it's good. Having said that, I don't invest anything into them. All it means is people agreed, or were amused by what you said. People matter. Points not so much. :)
  • Options
    Draco2199 wrote: »

The forums not a place for rant threads, that's considered abuse.

How am I ranting? I stated a problem. I'm not abusing anything. I'm saying this needs changed. If you're saying that what I said is ranting, then every thread that ever suggests anything, which is the point of the whole forum, is just a rant. And if suggesting, the entire point of the forums, is ranting, and ranting is abuse, then everyone who uses the website correctly is abusing the website. Did I get that right?
  • Options
    RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★
    I guess a relevant point I could add is the fact people can see how many people "flagged" your post, which, while it may be useful to point out irrelevant posts, has a high potential of being misused by people who would use said function to disagree with the post.

Also, regarding names, mine's half obvious but I don't mind carrying a semi-new identity
  • Options
    Time_to_clobberTime_to_clobber Posts: 119
    Shrimkins wrote: »

I've noticed people are basically using the "flag" function as a dislike or disagree button which is not what it's intended to be.

Granted, I typically flag stuff like "kabam u suck y u nerf my champs u 2 greedy n leave bugs in game to make money" as spam even though it's not exactly spam. To me it's just a meaningless and ignorant to say stuff like that so I flag it as spam.

Maybe just straight up adding a dislike button is a better choice. I always thought it would have been a more appropriate reaction to the majority of the posts on the old forum.

I've started using the LOL button as a disagree button. It doesn't give any points. I use it as a sarcastic LOL.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/3159#Comment_3159
  • Options
    Rotmgmoddy wrote: »
    I guess a relevant point I could add is the fact people can see how many people "flagged" your post, which, while it may be useful to point out irrelevant posts, has a high potential of being misused by people who would use said function to disagree with the post.

Also, regarding names, mine's half obvious but I don't mind carrying a semi-new identity

Yes. That's the problem. The Flagging Function is free to everyone who feels something is inappropriate, but it's not meant to be abused. If people just Flag everything someone says simply because they don't like the person, it's really abusing it. Not to mention juvenile. It's not cause for concern, however. Only Posts that violate the rules are cause for action.
    On the subject of names, people have the right to identify however they choose and I respect that.
  • Options
    Rotmgmoddy wrote: »

Yes. That's the problem. The Flagging Function is free to everyone who feels something is inappropriate, but it's not meant to be abused. If people just Flag everything someone says simply because they don't like the person, it's really abusing it. Not to mention juvenile. It's not cause for concern, however. Only Posts that violate the rules are cause for action.
    On the subject of names, people have the right to identify however they choose and I respect that.

Holy ****, stop flagging​ him. GroundedWisdom can get annoying, but we all can. Following him around and flagging him for everything, especially when he's right, is just juvenile as he said. Grow up, guys.
  • Options
    Haha, I got reported again. You guys are so immature.

Yes. People are abusing the function. It's become a way to troll others. Just let them do it. The staff can see who is abusing it.
  • Options
    HAVOCHAVOC Posts: 74
    edited May 2017
    I think most if not all of the people being reported are by accident.
    People realize they want to block the user and accidentally hit the report button first as it's next to the block button. Realizing the mistake, they then block them
    JqdGpNZ.jpg

• Options
    HAVOC wrote: »
    I think most if not all of the people being reported are by accident.
    People realize they want to block the user and accidentally hit the report button first as it's next to the block button. Realizing the mistake, they then block them
    JqdGpNZ.jpg

Not in-game, in the forums with the flag system.
  • Options
    420down420down Posts: 170
    People are flagging constant kabam advocates. There are forum mods to play advocate. If that's your only role on the forum then people are going to be suspicious of why you're here and what your motives are. Expect to be flagged for it. Non player kabam advocates are spammers and certainly not helping the game or kabam whether they think they are or not.

It's one thing to see both sides of things. There certainly are usually two or more sides to any situation. But if you constantly only see kabams side and never the players then you really aren't adding anything to the forum.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Yes. People are abusing the function. It's become a way to troll others. Just let them do it. The staff can see who is abusing it.

But do they really? I mean, yeah, they can, but do they? They can't check every abuse report, especially when people are abusing it. Plus, you aren't really one to call others out for abusing the abuse button.
  • Options
    Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★

But do they really? I mean, yeah, they can, but do they? They can't check every abuse report, especially when people are abusing it. Plus, you aren't really one to call others out for abusing the abuse button.

Stop calling out other forum members, thats also against the rules. Mods please close this rant thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Draco2199 wrote: »

Stop calling out other forum members, thats also against the rules. Mods please close this rant thread.

How in the heck am I ranting?! I stated a problem that needs fixed, and you're reporting me for ranting. If you don't like the thread, then leave, but don't frame me for breaking rules I'm not breaking. And I'm not calling anyone out, you are. You're calling me out for ranting even though I'm not.
  • Options
    Donal freaking Trump, stop reporting me. I have broken no rules. You too, Draco.
  • Options
    Donal freaking Trump, stop reporting me. I have broken no rules.
    Your calling people out which is against the rules mate
  • Options

I'm not calling anyone out. Who have I called out?
  • Options

for starters you're calling me and draco out cos you think we're flagging you cos we don't like you when we're flagging you for breaking the rules
  • Options

for starters you're calling me and draco out cos you think we're flagging you cos we don't like you when we're flagging you for breaking the rules

Woah woah woah woah woah. You said I broke the rules by calling people out. That is why you flagged me, correct? If you're reporting me for calling you out, then that makes no sense. How could I have called you out for flagging me before you flagged me? You only flagged me because I called you out, right? But I didn't call you out until you flagged me. This makes no sense! Why did you flag me the first time?
  • Options
    HAVOCHAVOC Posts: 74
    Whoops, misunderstood, my apologies.
This discussion has been closed.