**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

6-Stars Discussion Thread

Comments

• DD2 wrote: »
    Kpatrix wrote: »
    Just remember what it was like 2 years ago and how things have progressed, and expect the same.

They didn't have a challenger rating 2 years ago. Try beating 5.1 with 3*s.

But we also didn't have singular ranks of Abilities. I think you're not quite getting how Challenger rating works, or what it does. You should take a look at this thread here: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/2317/challenger-rating-explained#latest

And maybe this one: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/31/challenge-rating-single-ability-rank-and-you
  • So lemme get this straight....the community has been asking for a level cap increase and more mastery points for a YEAR....and never gets addressed

And I'd bet money that an INSANELY small portion is desiring (or atleast is ok with) 6* entering the contest (read: most don't really care for)....and those are being added in 4-5 months?

Please describe the logic in that @Kabam Miike....please

We have no plans to give more Mastery Points or Increase the Level Cap at this time. We've said this many times. We're sorry that you don't like that answer, but we have given our reasons for them many times. Masteries are balanced perfectly the way they are, and there will never be a way for you to not have to choose Masteries with strategy.

There is also nothing else we can currently give with further Summoner Levels. More energy means that we're going to have to change the lengths of maps and how much energy is required, and since we're not adding more mastery points, it seems moot.
  • RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Mcord11758 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are so upset about this.

How long have you been here? Before I started reading this thread, I made a mental checklist of what I expected to find. On that checklist was: complaints about challenger rating, demands for rank down tickets, money grab claims, claims the game is on its last legs, promises of quitting the game unlikely to be carried out, people complaining they can't rank up their 5* champs when they obviously didn't read the announcement, questions about why "all of a sudden" they are changing the end game, and of course the almost reasonable by comparison assertions that this will partially obsolete the effort put into building 5* rosters.

It didn't take long reading the thread to get blackout bingo on my 6* announcement scorecard.

Sure but ultimately you could predict most of that because most of it are valid concerns. Sure some complaints are over the deep end but in reality most are reasonable.

Valid concerns? Not really. I'm not sure how much longer to keep disproving challenger rating complains, because I'm trying to use math to scoop jello. The belief that this is being introduced because the game is failing is what everyone says in every MMO when end game expansions happen. WoW, which was incorrectly referenced in this thread, is practically the defining example. And contrary to what another poster claimed, in WoW although you get to keep your characters those characters are in large part containers for end game gear and end game gear is (or was) generally level-locked. To progress to the new level cap meant obsoleting your gear and gear was the hardest and most expensive thing to reacquire in WoW, thus the same complaints as here. Multiple times.

As far as I can see, the most reasonable complaints in this thread are general complaints that while reasonable in principle are exaggerated to the point of invalidity much of the time. For example, complaints about resources being constrained. Resources are always constrained: that's what resources are in a progressional game: a constraint. At the margins, some complaints about resource imbalances are reasonable, but the general complaint implies that the end game extension will make them worse. In some cases yes and some no, but there's no reason to specifically address those before 6* champs actually arrive.

Yes, the fact that some players are completely full on resources and can't actually hold them until 6* champs arrive is a problem. But it is not a problem that 6* champions create. Absent 6* champions those resources would simply expire or be forced to use on existing champs anyway. Kabam could address that, but if they don't they aren't creating a problem or exacerbating an existing problem. They simply aren't giving the players with a lot of resources even more ways to manage them than they currently have.

I'm ignoring all of the complaints that are due to literally complaining for the sake of complaining by players who clearly didn't even read the entire announcement, and complaining about things the announcement explicitly addresses.

@DNA3000 I know you've walked me through it, and we've discussed in the past, I just don't see a reason for it. Yes all the numbers indicate it's not a huge deal but yet somehow it feels more and more. And to further that, if the numbers don't make that much of a difference than why should it be in play? If it doesn't skew the challenge one way or the other it seems to be unnecessary code and removing it would simply shut the argument down.
  • Kronos987654321Kronos987654321 Posts: 584 ★★★
    So lemme get this straight....the community has been asking for a level cap increase and more mastery points for a YEAR....and never gets addressed

And I'd bet money that an INSANELY small portion is desiring (or atleast is ok with) 6* entering the contest (read: most don't really care for)....and those are being added in 4-5 months?

We have no plans to give more Mastery Points or Increase the Level Cap at this time. We've said this many times. We're sorry that you don't like that answer, but we have given our reasons for them many times. Masteries are balanced perfectly the way they are, and there will never be a way for you to not have to choose Masteries with strategy.

There is also nothing else we can currently give with further Summoner Levels. More energy means that we're going to have to change the lengths of maps and how much energy is required, and since we're not adding more mastery points, it seems moot.

You could easily make it so we get gold in exchange for missed xp at least.
  • RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    DD2 wrote: »
    Just remember what it was like 2 years ago and how things have progressed, and expect the same.

But we also didn't have singular ranks of Abilities. I think you're not quite getting how Challenger rating works, or what it does. You should take a look at this thread here: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/2317/challenger-rating-explained#latest

And maybe this one: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/31/challenge-rating-single-ability-rank-and-you

Truth is if you keep saying something is good, it doesn't actually make it good. I can send a 1000 people to a bad restraunt and it will still be bad. Sending people to a watered down example with a clear disclaimer below it won't make people like it.

Kabam's own dev team states
    "Overall, after all is said and done, you lose or gain roughly 1% effective health for every 10 challenge rating. Now, keep in mind that this is a single example in isolation. Once you get out into the game and you start adding Armor, Resistances, Block Proficiency and about a hundred different abilities, masteries, nodes and boosts flying all over the place, the calculations get a little more tricky."

By tricky, I would think he means that there is no way in hell a 3* would be able to handle a 5* in game content. So to be on target how do you think our 4* will hold up to 6*. It's a concern and a joke that can't even be shown when all the other factors come into play.
  • ChidaChida Posts: 3
    Can u make it easier to get 4 and 5 star so that we can get six star. And can we get a a higher mode than master like legend if six star are coming out
    I love u kabam
  • AshtontonicAshtontonic Posts: 63
    Angelbane wrote: »
    I wouldn't say "all of a sudden". This is still at least 5 months away, and the way that 5-Stars didn't make 4-Stars obsolete, these won't be making them obsolete very soon either.

Actually it is very soon most of us get 1 5* per month at BEST where as those same people were getting around 4 4* a month at the time the 5* came around so even with this lead time we are going to be less prepared.

Not to mention, that the 6* are showing up FAR FAR sooner in quests which will make the 4* effectively obsolete. I mean how many use 3* now in quests against the 5* that are predominate in quests?

i got the same feeling, 1.5 years progress to get me 2 5star champs to rank 4 and they expecting us to get continously duped 46 5* champs in following 5 months (based on duped 10 times for 1st 6* shads from base + 36 times duping the same champs; imagine if 1 month you can obtain 1 full 5* shads, you will need 46 months to get ur first 6*, well 5 months in advance announcement is good enough right?)

Did Kabam start the calculcation of how many months it required a newbie to start their acc and get their 1st 5* to rank 4? Its a game that design for human but it sounds like it moving towards for machine to play as it required you to have full 24 hours commitment.
  • JuggerneyksJuggerneyks Posts: 275 ★★
    So lemme get this straight....the community has been asking for a level cap increase and more mastery points for a YEAR....and never gets addressed

im sorry but why would you need to change the energy that is required on maps, say you increase from 60-70, we get an extra 9 energy, that a whole whopping 3 tiles more energy on a 3/tile map, hardly seems like you would need to rework maps because some players will be able to move a few more tiles.

Also how can you say there is nothing more that can be given with increased lvls, i could name many things, gold, t4, t4cc shards, t2 alpha shards, i mean the list goes on. if your going to increase the end game 1 way, why not increase it in another way also with what people actually want (lvl cap increase).
  • AngelbaneAngelbane Posts: 23
    edited August 2017

I don't think they'll be as easy to get as Tier 1 Alphas, but we are looking into making them more accessible as well.

Can you guys look into more ways to aquire T1A as well ever since you removed them from the map crystals there has been a shortage for many of us.

Also the Inventory for ALL cats needs to be doubled or tripled at least.

• VoeteXVoeteX Posts: 1
    I don't have 5 star champion
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    DD2 wrote: »

You can beat 5.1 with 4* 5/50, sure it helps to have r4 5*s to do it with, and lots have beaten 5.2 to become uncollected. We have seen a significant increase in rank up material just since aq season 4 started. Challenger rating has been shown to be minimal. I would bet that 6*r2=5*r3=4*r5 in challenger rating, and we can run aq and quests against 5* r5 ai without much problem now. As we get more resources and have more r4 5*, the same will be true of them against the r3 and r4 6* ai. Just speculation, but back when act 4 was first released lots of us used god tier 3* and r3&4 4* to beat it, it's much easier for players today who have 5/50s and 3/45s to use. I'm just not going to buy in to the cynical crowd who think this is a dig at us. I think it's going to be cool and keep things fresh. I can look at screenshots of my roster from 12 months ago and see a huge improvement, from 2 years ago when 5* were announced an even larger one. I didn't even have a 4* until several months into the game, but since that point 2 years ago I've gotten 79 4*, many duped several times, some max sig. What else is left ? Once I rank my 5*s up then what ? It's just progress and a future to look into. I'm not trying to sell you anything here, I'm just stating my views, and I look forward to it.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Mcord11758 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are so upset about this.

How long have you been here? Before I started reading this thread, I made a mental checklist of what I expected to find. On that checklist was: complaints about challenger rating, demands for rank down tickets, money grab claims, claims the game is on its last legs, promises of quitting the game unlikely to be carried out, people complaining they can't rank up their 5* champs when they obviously didn't read the announcement, questions about why "all of a sudden" they are changing the end game, and of course the almost reasonable by comparison assertions that this will partially obsolete the effort put into building 5* rosters.

It didn't take long reading the thread to get blackout bingo on my 6* announcement scorecard.

Sure but ultimately you could predict most of that because most of it are valid concerns. Sure some complaints are over the deep end but in reality most are reasonable.

Valid concerns? Not really. I'm not sure how much longer to keep disproving challenger rating complains, because I'm trying to use math to scoop jello. The belief that this is being introduced because the game is failing is what everyone says in every MMO when end game expansions happen. WoW, which was incorrectly referenced in this thread, is practically the defining example. And contrary to what another poster claimed, in WoW although you get to keep your characters those characters are in large part containers for end game gear and end game gear is (or was) generally level-locked. To progress to the new level cap meant obsoleting your gear and gear was the hardest and most expensive thing to reacquire in WoW, thus the same complaints as here. Multiple times.

As far as I can see, the most reasonable complaints in this thread are general complaints that while reasonable in principle are exaggerated to the point of invalidity much of the time. For example, complaints about resources being constrained. Resources are always constrained: that's what resources are in a progressional game: a constraint. At the margins, some complaints about resource imbalances are reasonable, but the general complaint implies that the end game extension will make them worse. In some cases yes and some no, but there's no reason to specifically address those before 6* champs actually arrive.

Yes, the fact that some players are completely full on resources and can't actually hold them until 6* champs arrive is a problem. But it is not a problem that 6* champions create. Absent 6* champions those resources would simply expire or be forced to use on existing champs anyway. Kabam could address that, but if they don't they aren't creating a problem or exacerbating an existing problem. They simply aren't giving the players with a lot of resources even more ways to manage them than they currently have.

I'm ignoring all of the complaints that are due to literally complaining for the sake of complaining by players who clearly didn't even read the entire announcement, and complaining about things the announcement explicitly addresses.

@DNA3000 I know you've walked me through it, and we've discussed in the past, I just don't see a reason for it. Yes all the numbers indicate it's not a huge deal but yet somehow it feels more and more. And to further that, if the numbers don't make that much of a difference than why should it be in play? If it doesn't skew the challenge one way or the other it seems to be unnecessary code and removing it would simply shut the argument down.

Well, there's a number of things to unpack here. First, just because an effect isn't overwhelming doesn't mean it is meaningless. People talk about 3/45 being better than 5/50 due to numerically small but significant difference also. When I say that challenger rating doesn't make different ranks obsolete like some players claim, I'm not saying it has no effect. It has a small (usually) effect that gets larger as the difference between ranks gets larger. But it never gets overwhelming. Class advantage and disadvantage is higher in magnitude, but most players wouldn't say that if you go against class advantage you have no hope of winning.

As to how challenger rating feels, that's difficult to say. You can't trivially compare the effects of challenger rating directly because there's no way to compare to a situation without challenger rating but everything else the same. Some players say that if you want to know how bad challenger rating is, just take a 3* champion into Act 5. But that would have been hard without challenger rating. Most players have difficulty completing Act 5 with 4* and 5* champs. 3* champs were always lower in stats than 5* champs and it would have always been difficult to take those on. One thing I've been doing is watching Seatin's F2P reboot videos to see how he fares running 2* and 3* champs against much harder content than I would be willing to try at my skill level. I don't see challenge rating affecting those situations qualitatively and visually dramatically relative to what I would expect, separate from the numbers. It hasn't so far made it impossible to take 2* and 3* champs into difficult content. The difficulty is mostly intrinsic to the content.

I cannot fully justify the mechanics of challenge rating, because I've never felt like challenge rating did what the developers claim to want it to do in a good mathematical way. So I've never claimed CR is a good implementation. I can say that what it does do isn't as bad as some players claim.

Now, should they simply remove challenge rating to quell the arguments over it? Let's be frank here. Even if they did, people would still claim Kabam lied about it and CR was still there. Removing challenge rating wouldn't eliminate the problems surrounding CR. People still believe CR affects things that have nothing to do with CR. In other words, it is literally impossible for the devs to remove CR from a portion of the game, because players continue to believe it is affecting parts of the game where it is not present. There's a lot of blame to go around there, and Kabam did themselves no favors by explaining CR horribly. But CR has transcended the facts of CR to become mythology.

But let's set that aside. Relevant to discussion of 6* champions, let's put it this way. If CR makes the developers more willing to make higher end content with 6* champions and a difficulty curve that is reinforced by CR, and that makes them less driven to make increasingly ludicrous node buffs to artificially create a higher difficulty curve through other means, then that's ultimately a plus for the players. In other words, if Kabam believes CR does something and it is something players can overcome, it doesn't matter what we think it does: it is still better for us.
  • GrubGrub Posts: 258 ★★★
    They want you to spend units buying the 200 unit crystals duping 3 stars for 4 star shards which then can be used to gain 5* shards with the chance of gaining a dupe from an extremely large pool for a minisculr amount of 6* shards.

Basically they are trying to reinvigorate the old days were large amounts of people would drop hundreds/thousands just to get a 4* newly released champ. Sadly I think those days are long passed, to often people are seeing how quickly you devalue your digital intellectual property. You are walking a very fine line here Kabam. Make 6* progression all cash/crystal luck based and many people will just get off the hamster wheel. I do give you credit for how you introduced 5* in the manner you did and made gaining them possible for the majority of your players at varying speeds. 6* just appears to me to be a cash grab of the old crystals days hoping people spends hundreds on your new PHC grandmaster crystal
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    I think the main, valid point is timing. I have no issues with 6* being released. I think most people would agree that Kabam should have their house in order first. Meaning lag issues should be resolved, bugs/glitches fixed (such as evade bug), parry timing should be fixed, Pure Skill should have a resolution by now, and freezing/crashing issues should not exist. All these issues should have precedence over releasing new 6*. Other than that, it might be a new, exciting thing to look forward to.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    6-star Grandmaster in chapter 3 of act 5.
    I can bet on this
  • eXtripa69 wrote: »
    I can bet on this

I wouldn't bet on that :tongue: Like I said, there are no 6-Stars in Act 5 Chapter 3
  • Alright everybody, let's get this back to 6-Stars now please.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    My only concerns are:
    - Inventory limitations for T4/Alpha cats
    - T1a availability
    - Gold availability
    - Terrible champs in the crystal
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    edited August 2017
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    I can bet on this

I wouldn't bet on that :tongue: Like I said, there are no 6-Stars in Act 5 Chapter 3

Interesting ... So that means that there will be a Grandmaster there :smile:
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,803 ★★★★★
    edited August 2017
    So question will they have the same signature ability thing like 5*s where the Max is 200 or will it go beyond?
  • I personally don't think 6* are a good way forward. Would much prefer more game modes and character options. I've been playing for ages and don't want to keep repeating characters in my roster with increased star levels, especially when I've been waiting for bases to ap in game. Besides that where would it end, at 10*, 20* or a 100* rating. I just don't see this as progress!
  • Kabam Mike you keep saying the 5 stars didn't make the four stars obsolete but they made the three stars obsolete. Just like the 6*s will make the 4*s. Doesn't make sense at all your defense to that question.
  • X_ScottX_Scott Posts: 732 ★★★
    I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction of 6 stars. People are still putting in massive numbers to grind for 4 stars, which will be almost worthless with the direction the game is headed. Diminishing returns will see to that. What I want to know is this, Kabam. If a grandfather, a father and two sons went hunting, everyone shot a duck, how many ducks did they bring home?
  • Ironworks26Ironworks26 Posts: 10
    So kabaam did you actually think this thru before you published this or are you hoping that publishing it and hoping everybody jumps on board liking the idea. This is a bad idea at this time for many reasons.
    1. This game can not go 1 month without a major glitch/bug, and you want to introduce a whole new element 6* which is gonna cause even more problems/ bugs. <br />
    2. How about finishing or removing the base feature that we've been looking at and promised for over a year.
    3. Give us the ability to fully rank the 5* we have and enjoy them a little bit first. <br />
    I think everything else you said except the introduction of 6* I think the end of next year would be perfect.
    Just my thoughts but you don't care about what us average players think
  • ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    cant wait for insane $$ deals for 6* shards card/deals