**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Sober Thoughts on Cav GMCs

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Cavalier GMCs are very exciting. The prospect of a 6* popping out is a thrill.

But...after a relatively small but successful sample of ~30, I’m left with the same feeling I have from crystals in general: there’s a lot of total junk in them.

I’ve pulled a 6* (Iron Fist), so I consider myself quite lucky and “ahead” of the 6* odds. And I’ve pulled right at the ~18% 5* drop rate with re-dupes of Voodoo and redupes of champs like Beast, Storm and another 5* I cannot remember as well as my one major success: a shiny new 5* Domino.

That track record makes me feel very lucky. And yet...

Because of the dilution of the pool, it’s logical to look at the low drop rate for 6*’s as even lower (since over 3/4 of them are little more than arena points). You can get fabulously lucky like I did and pull a 6* on fewer than 15 Cav GMCs and get someone like IF, a legacy champ who appears to get bumped further and further back in the buff line.

For the effort expended to earn units (and, yes, a measure of real world resources as well), only Domino provides a return that feels worth it. She’s decidedly awesome, but without her I would be left with some shards and iso from my other “lucky” pulls.

After the initial exuberance, I’m left recalculating the yield—not the drop rates—on the Cav GMCs. Even with increased drop rates and more “availability,” it’s relevant to note that there are tons of lucky drops that won’t move any Cavaliers forward.

Dr. Zola

Comments

• Options
    FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    Amen, brotha.
  • Options
    RapRap Posts: 3,194 ★★★★
    That is true of every last champ dropping crystal. 120 some odd champs in 3 tiers that require t4c and b as well as new cats and alphas...5 of this! 3 of that! Times 360!...and many of them are, as you say, nothing but arena fodder...they need to come to us more easily, or the stuff to raise them does. It is the sheer ridiculousness of the "volume" of items requires to raise champs that is going to kill the game, combined with lousy drops from the champ pool.
  • Options
    Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,159 ★★★★
    Ive had more luck with 6* pulls in standard Cavs then i did with FGM Cav's. I went hard for Cull. Got tons of **** 4 stars. Never again.
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    They’re exciting and tempting, but overall aren’t the best value
  • Options
    WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Preach... I've probably opened 20 total, but I have obtained 4-5 5*. Can't remember all of them, but I know none of them were worth taking higher than r1.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    How it should be:
    Phase 1: buy a flood of crystals. Reach a point you can handle AQ, AW, and quest with all 4/55 5-stars or 6-stars.
    Phase 2: stop buying crystals with units to focus on rank-up materials.

How it'll probably be:
    Buy a bunch of crystals in perpetuity to chase the next big thing or hope for a dupe of some other A-list champ.

• Options
    Ch1efsterCh1efster Posts: 477 ★★★
    Feeney234 said:

Ive had more luck with 6* pulls in standard Cavs then i did with FGM Cav's. I went hard for Cull. Got tons of **** 4 stars. Never again.

Same here. Went for Cull quite a few times and only got a 3* of him. Best pull was a 5* Symbiote Supreme (no 6*s). Probably just going to go basic cavalier crystals for now. Out of my first 5 of them, I got a 6* Cap WW2.
  • Options
    V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    I’ve experienced a little more value in the 6* I’ve obtained from the cav crystals, especially compared to the basics. From basics I’ve gotten champs like Storm x4, RR x 2, Karnak, Mordo, and Hood x 4 (decent). However the cavs/featured cavs have given me some truly great 6* like Ronin x 2, Emma x 2, Sym Supreme, Domino, IMIW x 2, and VtD x 2. I also haven’t whaled out a ton, I’ve gotten about 25 crystals per week since Cavalier was a thing so my luck in general has been amazing on my alt. Keep in mind that this is two accounts worth of results I’m posting about so it’s a mix between earned/bought units from 2 accounts. I didn’t whale out with tens of thousands of dollars in crystals.
  • Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    V1PER1987 said:

I’ve experienced a little more value in the 6* I’ve obtained from the cav crystals, especially compared to the basics. From basics I’ve gotten champs like Storm x4, RR x 2, Karnak, Mordo, and Hood x 4 (decent). However the cavs/featured cavs have given me some truly great 6* like Ronin x 2, Emma x 2, Sym Supreme, Domino, IMIW x 2, and VtD x 2. I also haven’t whaled out a ton, I’ve gotten about 25 crystals per week since Cavalier was a thing so my luck in general has been amazing on my alt. Keep in mind that this is two accounts worth of results I’m posting about so it’s a mix between earned/bought units from 2 accounts. I didn’t whale out with tens of thousands of dollars in crystals.

that is about $400 a month just for those, i think that qualifies as whaling out.
  • Options
    IKONIKON Posts: 1,336 ★★★★★
    If you're not interested in just accumulating more new champs, the crystal won't help too much. Been great for me, picked up tons of new 5* and 2 6*.

6* Phoenix and 6* WS aren't really helping my roster much, but they ease the arena grind quite a bit, with each 6* being worth about 380k points per arena.
  • Options
    Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

that is about $400 a month just for those, i think that qualifies as whaling out.
    $400 worth but not actually out of my wallet. I said I earned units in game too.
  • Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

$400 worth but not actually out of my wallet. I said I earned units in game too.
    yea but that is probably still over $300 a month, earning 1500 units a month per account is pretty difficult.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

yea but that is probably still over $300 a month, earning 1500 units a month per account is pretty difficult.
    I average about 1000 a week, give or take some stubborn RNG.
  • Options
    Of course, my primary game play is Grinding.
  • Options

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

How many hours is that a week?
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Not that many. I run multiple Arenas for Milestones. Unless I'm going for a Champ. More than average, though. I have more time than most. Milestones are where it's at. Multiple Arenas.
  • Options

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Not that many. I run multiple Arenas for Milestones. Unless I'm going for a Champ. More than average, though. I have more time than most. Milestones are where it's at. Multiple Arenas.
    I figured with that many units you were doing multiple arenas... I wish I could enjoy arenas, but I can't, and my units suffer because of it.
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

I figured with that many units you were doing multiple arenas... I wish I could enjoy arenas, but I can't, and my units suffer because of it.
    Yeah, it's not even for farming. Arenas are my favorite pastime. I've suffered for that too, though. Didn't pay enough attention to Story or End-Game and had to start catching up last year. I find the repetition calms me. Lol.
  • Options
    My issue isn't making them, it's keeping them. Lol. I always justify dropping them on Crystals because I can make more. Which is true, but the drops haven't panned out. Ah well, I'm a big boy.
  • Options
    Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

Lormif said:

V1PER1987 said:

I also had a stash of units saved. Not as much as the 12k unit offer but I did go a bit crazy with cavalier crystals when I first got them. Like I said it was also an average. I’ve gone a few weeks without opening any and I’ve opened more on some weeks. Plus I had a hot streak of luck with the UC arena crystals where I would pop 1 and get 225 units or pop 5 and get ~500-600. That luck has dried up too and I’ve been getting nothing but gold. I would probably get an Odin or two a month. I don’t think that’s whaling by any means.
  • Options
    Addendum to my previous post...

Was out of country for about a week and didn’t read all the responses—the original point derailed from the one I was making: that the raw numbers of 5/6*’s available may have increased, but the actual yield has not improved, at least for me.

Despite pulling a 5* Korg dupe out of 2-3 more Featured Cavs, I haven’t changed my opinion. He’ll possibly be a pain for someone in AW (until a perfect counter is released and he’s useless), but he’s not making any of my top 5 quest teams.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Was out of country for about a week and didn’t read all the responses—the original point derailed from the one I was making: that the raw numbers of 5/6*’s available may have increased, but the actual yield has not improved, at least for me.

Despite pulling a 5* Korg dupe out of 2-3 more Featured Cavs, I haven’t changed my opinion. He’ll possibly be a pain for someone in AW (until a perfect counter is released and he’s useless), but he’s not making any of my top 5 quest teams.

Dr. Zola

Sorry to tell you but Namor Is a perfect counter for korg
  • Options
    Zuro said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

Sorry to tell you but Namor Is a perfect counter for korg
    And there you have it lol...let the spend begin!

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    I watched someone open 500 volcanic crystals and not get a 5/6*.... I opened 1 for giggles and pulled 5* cull. It’s a total gamble.
  • Options
    PerpetualWisdomPerpetualWisdom Posts: 29
    Bear3 said:

I watched someone open 500 volcanic crystals and not get a 5/6*.... I opened 1 for giggles and pulled 5* cull. It’s a total gamble.

This. Like the lottery or any other raffle it just takes luck.
  • Options

Bear3 said:

Fantastic advice—I will just make sure I have better luck next time!

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Bear3 said:

Dr. Zola
    You'll have to enlighten us when you find this luck switch... I'd love to be able to turn mine on and off... Well, mainly just on.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★
    Werewrym said:

DrZola said:

Bear3 said:

Dr. Zola
    You'll have to enlighten us when you find this luck switch... I'd love to be able to turn mine on and off... Well, mainly just on.
    I second this