**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How to use Ghost

PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
I've got 5* Ghost sitting at Rank 3. I also have a Tech Awakening Gem courtesy of the Summoner Appreciation Calendar and just replenishing the T4B required to take her to Rank 4. I have Wasp at 5/50 and both Ant-Man and Hood as unawakened 5*, 2/35 and 3/45 respectively.

But one thing's holding me back from either the awakening or the rank up...I suck with her.

I understand the THEORY of how to utilise her phasing - both to cleanse DoT's for Fury, getting the crits in regular attacks and especially with her specials (made easier with Wasp) - but I just can't consistently put it into practice, especially in difficult content. I tried to use her v Claire Voyant last EQ and I think my best effort only took 50% of her health.

I'm an average player - capable of some solid fights here and there, soloing Mini-Bosses and bosses etc, but can also die to an equal-rated opponent in Arena and couldn't manage to get through the latest Boss Rush.

When I try using her my phase-attack attempts are constantly either blocked or even intercepted so I'm clearly getting the timing wrong.

To that end, any guidance or links to guides would be much appreciated, as well as specific tips on how I can improve this (other than "git gud" of course, cause that's a given :wink:)

Also would you consider it still worthwhile pumping the awakening into her (got enough sig stones to get her to about Sig 50 with tech stones and even to 100 if I used generics) right away while I practice, or wait to see IF I can get better before the investment :smile:

Finally - any recommended training opportunities to get better with her? I've heard RoL Winter Soldier isn't a great training dummy for her because he's not aggressive enough?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Use all the resources on her, she is the best champ in the game (arguably) and by using your resources on her you will use her and get better. Practice makes perfect. Just bring her everywhere
  • DRTODRTO Posts: 1,618 ★★★★★
    Watch some Pandamanpete on youtube, he is the ghost master
  • WoozieWoozie Posts: 479 ★★
    I only have her a 4 Star so I'll wait til someone with a 5/65 properly comments but the main tactic I found is to parry and then phase and then launch your specials to get guaranteed crit (swipe back after parry and immediately press).
    The sigs help with her power gain and allow her to phase at the start of the fight to phase, so if she's anything above a certain sig level you can phase and not move from a 5 combo to instantly to get about half a bar of power.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,677 ★★★★★
    edited October 2019
    I''m not that good but I phase, let them hit into the phase once then counter with a light and phase again. If I get close to 2 bars I parry/heavy a couple of times to build some furies then unleash SP2 hell. Wasp as a minimum if you can't time the phase into special, Antman is great as a sole synergy if you are good with timing. Both makes the SP2 nasty all the time. Only need hood for mitigating fun and interactive damage or AI SP3, if they survive that long to get it.

Ghost is fantastic for stun/debuff immune if you suck at intercepting (I suck) because you don't need to parry, punish their heavy with your own if you want to build furies.

I haven't watched any you tube vids of her gameplay so I could be way off, my 5r4 is unduped, no suicides.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,677 ★★★★★
    edited October 2019
    Practice against ROL WS or act4 venom for low consequence fun.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    The best way to learn would be to watch a ghost guide and pandamanpete, but I’ll give you the rundown as someone who always uses her.

When you are phasing hits you have to retaliate right after the hit has finished but before the next registers, while learning her I’d suggest doing this after the first missed hit, as it’s easier to react to, and it’s generally a medium so they have a higher recovery time

Never finish combos unless there’s a specific scenario such as a bane transfer or it finishes the fight, finishing a combo pit you in a bad position to get your next phase intercept, as you have a long recovery time before you phase again, and you often end up not being able to retaliate easily

Specials and phasing recoil takes practice, to phase and get the unblockable special land your normal phase intercept, and at some point in the combo dash back with your right hand and activate the special with your left, you have to trigger the special quickly after dashing back but not at the same time, as the phase won’t register. For phasing recoil if you run suicides there are 2 methods, easy and inconsistent is to just spam dash back, if you swipe at the right time in the spam you will phase it, if you’re a bit late you won’t, however with a bit of practice you can learn the exact time she recovers and you can dash back to phase it with consistency

Getting into more advanced stuff now, what separates a top tier ghost player from a good one, learning which specials you can punish with heavies. Ghost’s heavy is surprisingly useful, since all her damage is from boosted crits rather than attack increase furies do a lot of work, it takes a lot of time to learn, but a lot of specials where the opponent finishes next to you you can phase through and counter with a heavy, the heavy also pushes the opponent back putting you in great position for restarting phase intercepts

I hope this helps you out, pandaman pete will give you the visual representation of this which will help you learn the timing, also she’s a champ who takes a long time to master, when you awaken her, you will have to learn phasing multiple hits and punishing, which is a smaller time window than taking 1 missed hit and phasing, but once you learn her you will go very far with her
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,146 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

The best way to learn would be to watch a ghost guide and pandamanpete, but I’ll give you the rundown as someone who always uses her.

When you are phasing hits you have to retaliate right after the hit has finished but before the next registers, while learning her I’d suggest doing this after the first missed hit, as it’s easier to react to, and it’s generally a medium so they have a higher recovery time

Never finish combos unless there’s a specific scenario such as a bane transfer or it finishes the fight, finishing a combo pit you in a bad position to get your next phase intercept, as you have a long recovery time before you phase again, and you often end up not being able to retaliate easily

Specials and phasing recoil takes practice, to phase and get the unblockable special land your normal phase intercept, and at some point in the combo dash back with your right hand and activate the special with your left, you have to trigger the special quickly after dashing back but not at the same time, as the phase won’t register. For phasing recoil if you run suicides there are 2 methods, easy and inconsistent is to just spam dash back, if you swipe at the right time in the spam you will phase it, if you’re a bit late you won’t, however with a bit of practice you can learn the exact time she recovers and you can dash back to phase it with consistency

Getting into more advanced stuff now, what separates a top tier ghost player from a good one, learning which specials you can punish with heavies. Ghost’s heavy is surprisingly useful, since all her damage is from boosted crits rather than attack increase furies do a lot of work, it takes a lot of time to learn, but a lot of specials where the opponent finishes next to you you can phase through and counter with a heavy, the heavy also pushes the opponent back putting you in great position for restarting phase intercepts

I hope this helps you out, pandaman pete will give you the visual representation of this which will help you learn the timing, also she’s a champ who takes a long time to master, when you awaken her, you will have to learn phasing multiple hits and punishing, which is a smaller time window than taking 1 missed hit and phasing, but once you learn her you will go very far with her

You nails it. Gj
  • Justin2524Justin2524 Posts: 1,626 ★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

When you say retaliate after the first hit - I find this difficult as sometimes they put in a full combo and you get combo'd after getting in.

How do you know whether to go in after the first hit or wait for the defender to finish the full combo before retaliating?
  • PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
    Thanks all for the advice - got some practice to do! :)
  • OrcDovahkiinOrcDovahkiin Posts: 323
    She's insane especially with that awakened ability your a lucky man I was hoping to get a tech awakening gem :(

Lvernon15 said:

When you say retaliate after the first hit - I find this difficult as sometimes they put in a full combo and you get combo'd after getting in.

How do you know whether to go in after the first hit or wait for the defender to finish the full combo before retaliating?
    99% if the time when you phase intercept they come at you with a dash attack, and whilst they will try to continue their combo you have a fairly long window to attack, however if they decide to walk up to you then the timing is thrown off, you can either reset, get a bit of power from a few hits if you have her dog and just back off after, or if you’re really skilled and can punish them even with some weird timed combos in between lights then go for that, I’d only go for the punish after 1 hit if it’s a medium
  • GenylGenyl Posts: 59
    If the enemy is close to you or at the beginning of the fight (if you had her awakening) I find it is better to let the enemy miss you twice before hitting out of the phase (with a medium)

You want to start the medium just when the enemy is hitting you. If the enemy is close and uses a light you need good reflexes to do this.

When the enemy is far away and dashes it is much easier to get the timing right.

I use ghost in AW at plat and can assure you you can get it right every time.

Some animations like domino's can screw you so learn with RoL winter soldier for consistency

Learning how to use ghost has been one of the most fun and rewaeding times in this clown fiesta of a video game. She almost single handlendly cleared v3 without hardly any potion

which is the best opponent to practice her against
    As op said and i feel too winter soldier ain't that aggressive
    i tried to fight LOL redhulk for practice sometimes
    anybody know any better opponents or should i continue practice against red hulk/starlord.

Variant 3 and act 6 are good places to test her on more real scenarios with aggressive ai, lol is great and also the epic side quest isn’t bad this month to test lesser ranked ghosts