**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Opinion on variants

IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
What is everyone’s opinion on the variants in the game? I personally think that 1-4 is not worth the effort for the rewards you get. (At my level) They aren’t bad rewards, but the bosses like the DPX boss in variant 4 are kind of ridiculous. I think variants 5 and 6 are better though, as you get better rewards, yet it still is challenging. I am in that awkward phase in between act 5 100% explored and the rest of act 6 completion. I have already completed the first chapter of variant 4, and am working on variant 6 now, as it feels easier for me with my roster. I just don’t think 1-4 is worth it for me right now, especially with the amount of revives you have to use. What are your opinions?

Comments

• TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    I mean variants are the type of thing where you just need to run it a few times to get a feel of it, and you need good counters. If you don't have a good counter, then you might need to use some units, or just come back to it. I recently did a completion run of Variant 2 just using Quake, and I feel like the rewards are definitely worth it, but they're a lot better for Variant 5 and 6.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    3 and 4 are super easy for like new cav players. that dp boss is probably the easiest boss of any variant lol. just heavy spam him but whatever. they're good stepping stones for players in that situation and then you get to move on in story and grow your roster to handle the harder variants and explore some of them
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    The rewards are fine. All I wish though was those rank up gems to not be year specific.
  • IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Man. Exploring act 1 - 3 isn't worth the effort for the rewards in 2021. I wish they gave the same as act 6 and 7 completion!!!!!

/s

That’s not at all what I’m saying. I didn’t say they were bad I just said they were fine. Compared to 5 and 6 I think the rewards are strange
  • 2nd_slingshot2nd_slingshot Posts: 233

ItsDamien said:

Man. Exploring act 1 - 3 isn't worth the effort for the rewards in 2021. I wish they gave the same as act 6 and 7 completion!!!!!

/s

That’s not at all what I’m saying. I didn’t say they were bad I just said they were fine. Compared to 5 and 6 I think the rewards are strange
    You're saying the same thing, At the point which the content was created, the meta of the game had not increased so much. there were no thronebreakers to warrant the T5CC fragments put in variant 5 and 6. the same will happen when variant 10 comes, its rewards will be better compared to 5&6. Variant 1 is just so hard in respect to rewards.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

What is everyone’s opinion on the variants in the game? I personally think that 1-4 is not worth the effort for the rewards you get. (At my level) They aren’t bad rewards, but the bosses like the DPX boss in variant 4 are kind of ridiculous. I think variants 5 and 6 are better though, as you get better rewards, yet it still is challenging. I am in that awkward phase in between act 5 100% explored and the rest of act 6 completion. I have already completed the first chapter of variant 4, and am working on variant 6 now, as it feels easier for me with my roster. I just don’t think 1-4 is worth it for me right now, especially with the amount of revives you have to use. What are your opinions?

Well Considering the variants have been getting easier and easier I would agree that they are out of your level for now. V1 to v4 that is. Though except for v1, all others are not that difficult with a decent roster. V1 is the only test of your roster. The rewards for v2 to v4 are still quite good. The number of rank up gems alone are worth it in my opinion.
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    Other than variant 2 (I haven’t don’t v1 yet) the variants have been my favorite piece of content. I feel like the difficulty for the majority of them matches the rewards (maybe not exploration but the completion rewards make a lot of sense). They’re also fun and don’t feel like a chore to explore. Granted they would all be a pain without good counters but they’re designed so that if you have good counters even as 4*s they are doable. Also as someone else said they’re a really good stepping stone between the end of act 5 and maybe 6.1 and the rest of act 6.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    An initial run isn't bad for progressing players. If you don't have a lot of 6* or 5* at R4 or R5, the rank up and wakening gems can be account changing. I especially had fun with variant 4 since it made completing easier as I could use my lower roster for the 💯. Am I going back to 100 V1 at this point, nope, a 2015 gem won't help me now and not worth the units or time. But the 1st run was when I did it.

DPX does suck as a straight up fight, but if you push him to the corner and heavy spam, it's a simple fight that might take a couple of tries if you can't get him in the corner before he gets to his sp1. And that can be done with just about anyone that has a quick heavy with decent range. Most of the bosses are actually not too bad with the right counter and that one doesn't require a small pool of specific champs. Electro cost me more items because he was beefier and I didn't have a good projectile counter, namor or quake at the time, but gwenpool DoT and her special 1 made it manageable with a couple revives.. From there, it got easier for me as it opened up my roster.

Variant 5 and 6 were great with counters. I recently got warlock and venom so went back to V2 and it's been pretty straight forward and I'll likely do v3 since I have warlock and guardian now too. If I had a sentinel, I would have done both a long time ago, but you really need the counters to make it worth your while and only if the rewards are something you'd still be interested in. I probably won't ever 💯 LoL at this point either, but maybe if I have units and spare time, it will still be nice for the T2A which has seemingly slowed down for me.
  • Rbk19Rbk19 Posts: 195 ★★

Apart from variant 1 remaining all are easy to complete and can be explored with right roaster. Variant 1 is worse than Act 6 only thing they designed in that variant was 200% power gain in all fights
  • JakearoundJakearound Posts: 410 ★★★
    I love all Variant content except for Variant 1. Class specific chapters was dumbest idea second to the mess that is Act 6.
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★

3 and 4 are super easy for like new cav players. that dp boss is probably the easiest boss of any variant lol. just heavy spam him but whatever. they're good stepping stones for players in that situation and then you get to move on in story and grow your roster to handle the harder variants and explore some of them

I never managed to "just heavy spam him". On initial completion I could barely get him into his corner with mighty charge, and in the few cases when I did, he'd dash at me after one heavy, get unstoppable a fraction of a second before I hit him, and destroy me. Same thing happened on exploration, I just did it with Quake in the end. I don't know what I was doing wrong, I've tried like 10 different champs that people said would work. That Boss is far from easy
  • BahubaliBahubali Posts: 438 ★★★
    Rewards are fine.. 2015-2017 rank up gems can now be used on Buffed or to be buffed champs.. These gems saved me resources on champs that I would have never ranked up with resources.. like Ronan, OG Thor, Gwenpool, Rogue