**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Drive to a Million Facebook Likes!

Comments

• SolswerdSolswerd Posts: 1,860 ★★★★
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    Solswerd wrote: »
    @Draco2199

Through out this thread you have argued that this whole thing is bad marketing...and I have no problem conceding that point to you as I do not have any background in marketing. But the only time I would be concerned about the quality of Kabam's marketing would be if they were using illegal marketing tactics....otherwise I really do not care.

But I have to ask, as you have passionately have argued about the accessibility of the $1 dollar crystal....if you truly believe this:
    For a million likes we better get a 5*, what the heck is the point of getting a soon to be obsolete 4* with 6*s coming lol.

Then wouldn't the lack of accessibility of this offer actually be protecting the people that cannot purchase it from wasting their money? It just seems strange that you mocked what $1 will get you, then proceeded to argue that it is unfair that there are people who cannot take advantage of the deal.

How did I mock what $1 would get you? I said the marketing has alienated a much needed player base to like the page so we could achieve the goal. Try to keep up.

?...I think you mocked it when you said that what we get for one dollar is "a soon to be obsolete 4*"

Oh you mean 6*s aren't coming out and 5* won't be more plentiful and 4*s will be the new 3*s.....oh yeah I'm totally off on that lol.

I did not say you were wrong in your assessment of the viability of 4* champs.....not arguing that at all....just don't know why you would argue so passionately regarding the accessibility of something that you cited as soon to be obsolete. If you are only making the assessability argument in the context of wether this is good or bad marketing, then as I stated before....I have no problem conceding that point to you as you sincerely seem to know more about marketing than I do. (absolutely no sarcasm...I have never even read a book about marketing and have never worked in marketing) But if you are arguing about it in the context of fairness....and you believe that the crystal only contains obsolete champs...that makes no sense.

Not making any personal attacks, it is genuinely an interesting conversation.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,763 ★★★★★
    Wont be a free 4*. It'll be a free 2* with a increased chance at a 3* or 4*
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    I'm asking for this to be available for everyone, for units. If they decided to sell this for pay2win players only they should have increased the cost of it

This is just selfish thinking.
    Firstly you’re assuming there are only two categories of players in this scenario. Pay2win and free2play. But that’s not true, there are people who don’t spend at all, people who spend rarely, people who spend every so often, etc, all the way up to the whales who spend all the time. According to you, people who spend once a year are the same as the whales. This isn’t true. Kabam haven't decided to sell this to pay2win only, they have put an offer up for a dollar. If a player who hasn’t spent in their life on the game decides to buy it, according to you that makes them a pay2win.

Secondly, you’re basically saying if I can’t have it cheap nobody else should. Which is childish and ridiculous. In one way or another, you do have the chance to buy the offer, gift card, survey, adding it to your phone bill etc. Saying otherwise without reason must be because you don’t understand how to, or because you’re lying to prove your point. If you genuinely do have a reason you can’t use those methods I look forward to hearing it.

Thirdly, I don’t know whether you’re on apple or android but if you’re Apple, here is a link about how to use a gift card without a credit/debit card. All you do is choose no payment and it allows you to use a gift card. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204034

If you are on android, then you can download the google rewards app and fill out some surveys or add it to your phone bill. If your parents or bill payer are against that then give them a dollar.

Pay2win and players that spent money is the same thing in the end.

Again, I'm saying that the price of this offer is stupid in the scenario they are using it. It sound like a gift, not an offer. And is only a gift available for spenders.
    All I'm suggesting is to release a way for free2play players to buy it.

And again, Google rewards is not an option in my country and in my device. Neither are any surveys (already tested 12 of them)
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    @Draco2199

Through out this thread you have argued that this whole thing is bad marketing...and I have no problem conceding that point to you as I do not have any background in marketing. But the only time I would be concerned about the quality of Kabam's marketing would be if they were using illegal marketing tactics....otherwise I really do not care.

But I have to ask, as you have passionately have argued about the accessibility of the $1 dollar crystal....if you truly believe this:
    For a million likes we better get a 5*, what the heck is the point of getting a soon to be obsolete 4* with 6*s coming lol.

Then wouldn't the lack of accessibility of this offer actually be protecting the people that cannot purchase it from wasting their money? It just seems strange that you mocked what $1 will get you, then proceeded to argue that it is unfair that there are people who cannot take advantage of the deal.

How did I mock what $1 would get you? I said the marketing has alienated a much needed player base to like the page so we could achieve the goal. Try to keep up.

?...I think you mocked it when you said that what we get for one dollar is "a soon to be obsolete 4*"

Oh you mean 6*s aren't coming out and 5* won't be more plentiful and 4*s will be the new 3*s.....oh yeah I'm totally off on that lol.

I did not say you were wrong in your assessment of the viability of 4* champs.....not arguing that at all....just don't know why you would argue so passionately regarding the accessibility of something that you cited as soon to be obsolete. If you are only making the assessability argument in the context of wether this is good or bad marketing, then as I stated before....I have no problem conceding that point to you as you sincerely seem to know more about marketing than I do. (absolutely no sarcasm...I have never even read a book about marketing and have never worked in marketing) But if you are arguing about it in the context of fairness....and you believe that the crystal only contains obsolete champs...that makes no sense.

I'm just pointing out the huge logic flaw in Kabam's marketing strategy. I could care less about the $1 crystal or anything else. Sorry if I was a little defensive but no one seems to be able to read and comprehend what I'm writing and are constantly talking about the cost when I'm talking about Kabam setting us up for failure from the beginning as being the problem. But everyone wants to get so focused on 1 thing and not the real thing, we won't get this "gift" due to the company itself. The players should be upset especially the pay2play players. It's like Kabam saying we are starting a new event where if you double your player rating in 20 days then you get a free 6* crystal. We won't give anymore resources but you all have the option to use your stash. It's an impossible goal to meet. Thats all I'm saying.
    I'm asking for this to be available for everyone, for units. If they decided to sell this for pay2win players only they should have increased the cost of it

Firstly you’re assuming there are only two categories of players in this scenario. Pay2win and free2play. But that’s not true, there are people who don’t spend at all, people who spend rarely, people who spend every so often, etc, all the way up to the whales who spend all the time. According to you, people who spend once a year are the same as the whales. This isn’t true. Kabam haven't decided to sell this to pay2win only, they have put an offer up for a dollar. If a player who hasn’t spent in their life on the game decides to buy it, according to you that makes them a pay2win.

Secondly, you’re basically saying if I can’t have it cheap nobody else should. Which is childish and ridiculous. In one way or another, you do have the chance to buy the offer, gift card, survey, adding it to your phone bill etc. Saying otherwise without reason must be because you don’t understand how to, or because you’re lying to prove your point. If you genuinely do have a reason you can’t use those methods I look forward to hearing it.

Thirdly, I don’t know whether you’re on apple or android but if you’re Apple, here is a link about how to use a gift card without a credit/debit card. All you do is choose no payment and it allows you to use a gift card. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204034

If you are on android, then you can download the google rewards app and fill out some surveys or add it to your phone bill. If your parents or bill payer are against that then give them a dollar.

Again, I'm saying that the price of this offer is stupid in the scenario they are using it. It sound like a gift, not an offer. And is only a gift available for spenders.

And again, Google rewards is not an option in my country and in my device. Neither are any surveys (already tested 12 of them)

Well they say it works for them so it must work for everyone. You are fighting an uphill battle using logic and actual conditions as they think everyone can do it regardless. Like there are no starving people in the world because I eat every day so there can't be logic.
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 446 ★★
    Raganator wrote: »
    Fluffy wrote: »
    I simply refuse to believe that there is NO WAY to get money, whether real money or earned through some virtual rewards, onto a Google account. Google is a global company that deals with developers that are trying to make money. For them to make it impossible to add some form of currency would be counterproductive to their entire business model.

It's called children with parents who won't let them spend on games. It's probably 35% of the player base. So yeah it's clearly impossible that could be a scenario I agree. We won't hit the goal so we don't have to worry about it anymore. There won't be an offer. Their 1 million goal was basically what they averaged per year in 3 years and they wanted it in 20 days. Never going to happen so looks like we won't get the offer.

Please stop throwing around numbers without any facts to back it up. You lose credibility.

https://www.parksassociates.com/blog/article/parks-pr2011-mobilegaming

I was being conservative in my estimates

How does it sound silly, you can look up mobile game statistics and age range of players and percentages. Why don't you look it up and do some research and then come back and then comment otherwise you just lose all credibility.

@Draco2199 The study you posted is nearly 7 years old. Not exactly relevant as a statistic today. Here is a chart from a Reddit survey of over 1400 Reddit users and just under 1 year old. Not exactly scientific, but more relevant than something from 7 years ago. The results? Less than 6% of the player base is under 17.

zl05d10xhd8y.png
    @Draco2199

I'm just pointing out the huge logic flaw in Kabam's marketing strategy. I could care less about the $1 crystal or anything else. Sorry if I was a little defensive but no one seems to be able to read and comprehend what I'm writing and are constantly talking about the cost when I'm talking about Kabam setting us up for failure from the beginning as being the problem. But everyone wants to get so focused on 1 thing and not the real thing, we won't get this "gift" due to the company itself. The players should be upset especially the pay2play players. It's like Kabam saying we are starting a new event where if you double your player rating in 20 days then you get a free 6* crystal. We won't give anymore resources but you all have the option to use your stash. It's an impossible goal to meet. Thats all I'm saying.

Fair enough, and totally agree with you regarding Kabam leaving itself open to a tremendous backlash if/when the 1 million target fails. Hopefully they asked for more than they really wanted and this goes through anyway. (I have had bosses in the past set seemingly unreachable targets with the logic that if we strive for that goal, we will easily surpass the actual lesser goal they had in mind. BTW that management strategy tends to cause big morale issues...lol) But obviously, that is only wishful thinking on my part. It will be fun to watch that scenario play out on the forums, at the very least. :)
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    edited November 2017
    I simply refuse to believe that there is NO WAY to get money, whether real money or earned through some virtual rewards, onto a Google account. Google is a global company that deals with developers that are trying to make money. For them to make it impossible to add some form of currency would be counterproductive to their entire business model.

It's called children with parents who won't let them spend on games. It's probably 35% of the player base. So yeah it's clearly impossible that could be a scenario I agree. We won't hit the goal so we don't have to worry about it anymore. There won't be an offer. Their 1 million goal was basically what they averaged per year in 3 years and they wanted it in 20 days. Never going to happen so looks like we won't get the offer.

Please stop throwing around numbers without any facts to back it up. You lose credibility.

How does it sound silly, you can look up mobile game statistics and age range of players and percentages. Why don't you look it up and do some research and then come back and then comment otherwise you just lose all credibility.

@Draco2199 The study you posted is nearly 7 years old. Not exactly relevant as a statistic today. Here is a chart from a Reddit survey of over 1400 Reddit users and just under 1 year old. Not exactly scientific, but more relevant than something from 7 years ago. The results? Less than 6% of the player base is under 17.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

HAHAHAHAHA @Draco2199

your entire argument is worried about less than 5% of the people who play this game. That range is for 13-17 so giving you the benefit of the doubt here and saying the majority of that 5.4% is older than the age of 16 without a job.

Also, I had a paper route when i was 13. I earned my Super Nintendo with a busted back
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    @Draco2199

Fair enough, and totally agree with you regarding Kabam leaving itself open to a tremendous backlash if/when the 1 million target fails. Hopefully they asked for more than they really wanted and this goes through anyway. (I have had bosses in the past set seemingly unreachable targets with the logic that if we strive for that goal, we will easily surpass the actual lesser goal they had in mind. BTW that management strategy tends to cause big morale issues...lol) But obviously, that is only wishful thinking on my part. It will be fun to watch that scenario play out on the forums, at the very least. :)

Yea, I'm a manager and I've used something similar, but I was honest about the real goal and my personal goal that seemed unattainable. They came close, so they still received the reward since I saw the effort. I don't think we are even coming close though here.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

Um, all that survey tells you is that less than 6% of the Reddit users that visit the Marvel CoC are under the age of 17.....the game has hundreds of thousands of players...many of them from many different countries....many of them that would never go to red
  • IAmNotUrMomIAmNotUrMom Posts: 648 ★★★

zl05d10xhd8y.png

Um, all that survey tells you is that less than 6% of the Reddit users that visit the Marvel CoC are under the age of 17.....the game has hundreds of thousands of players...many of them from many different countries....many of them that would never go to red

How is that any better or worse than a study that is 7 years old and that was put out before this game even existed?
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

It is not a gift. It is an offer that is available if certain achievements are achieved. The only reason you are upset is that you are interpreting what Kabam might do as a gift. It isn’t only available to spenders. It’s available to people who can spend, which in my experience is literally everyone except you. Why would kabam make it a units offer, in which case many people would have those units saved up already, when they could make more money by making it a tiny amount of money offer?

People who have literally spent nothing on this game and then buy a 1 dollar offer are not the same as Gencer or Brutal DLX. If you think they are then you need to take a long hard look at the way you think.

If you really wanted this offer so much you would be able to get it. There are ways, do some research. I will PM you a link to how to do many of those on android, it won’t let me post it here due to it being a blog.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

1400 reddit users lol....so you gave me statistics for reddit not mobile gaming lol. You do realize that right lol. The % of reddit users that game under the age of 17 is 5.6%. Most 15 and under kids don't use reddit lol. Great job!
  • FluffyFluffy Posts: 446 ★★
    I stated in the post it was less than scientific, but it is more relevant than a survey that predates the existence of the game by 4 years.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

http://www.theesa.com/about-esa/industry-facts/

The average gamer is 35 years old and 72 percent are age 18 or older. Women age 18 and older represent a significantly greater portion of the video game-playing population (31 percent) than boys under age 18 (18 percent).

zl05d10xhd8y.png

How is that any better or worse than a study that is 7 years old and that was put out before this game even existed?

What @Draco2199 cited was a survey of the general population in regards to mobile gaming as a platform conducted by an actual market research company...yes it is 6 or 7 years old...but when you are looking at industry wide demographics the shifts in numbers tends to be rather gradual...

The reddit survey of a small segment of people that frequent the Marvel CoC Reddit...has slightly more validity than many of the polls that pop up on this forum, but mot much more. It is too small a segment of the game's population and was only available to people that go to that site. I know many people that will not even click a link that goes to any Reddit...it is not a general survey.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

What @Draco2199 cited was a survey of the general population in regards to mobile gaming as a platform conducted by an actual market research company...yes it is 6 or 7 years old...but when you are looking at industry wide demographics the shifts in numbers tends to be rather gradual...

The reddit survey of a small segment of people that frequent the Marvel CoC Reddit...has slightly more validity than many of the polls that pop up on this forum, but mot much more. It is too small a segment of the game's population and was only available to people that go to that site. I know many people that will not even click a link that goes to any Reddit...it is not a general survey.

Then in many ways that is similar or could be considered stratified sampling meaning that it does have some value even if it is only a group of reddit users.
  • RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    Wow, Im still amazed that the last 5 pages of this post have been debating the value or purchase of a 1$ item. Yet no one is concerned that the only real fresh new content (a seven day, 2* arena) in months is tied to some imaginary goal on social media doesn't bug anyone. It is mind boggling that many on this forum have asked for new content and now they say they have it but will only give it if we ask our friends to like a page. Just seems odd that no one cares about that, but we will bicker over an item that will never happen. Isn't possible to get one of those companies that boost App ratings to do the same thing in social media? I think us as a group need to focus on things that matter (bugs and server outages) if we want anything fixed. Not a 1$ item that will never happen.
    Indrick781 wrote: »
    You can literally walk into any convenience store and pick up an iTunes or Google Play gift card if you don't have a credit card. You can link PayPal to Google Play. You don't need to be able to drive. You need to be able to walk, ride a bike or get a ride to your local 7-11/Wawa/supermarket and pick up a card. Stop whining about nothing.

No, YOU can literally walk into any convenience store and pick up an iTunes or Google card lol. Some people can't afford it, can't get there, can't buy one cuz in their country they don't allow it. Just because you are American and you have luxuries doesn't mean everyone else in the world has the same living conditions as you.

I can go buy a 750K car tomorrow in cash so that means you can to right? Cuz you have to be able to do it if I can.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

Then in many ways that is similar or could be considered stratified sampling meaning that it does have some value even if it is only a group of reddit users.

No not really since it basically eliminates the demographic that we are talking about, its a subsection of a subsection of the data we are discussing.
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    Give it a rest, people, or take it private.
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    I agree with @Draco2199. They want us to get them Likes that (anyone playing this game for almost any amount of time knows) they did not earn with goodwill, customer service or customer relations. It is a great game, and I'm sure there are a lot of good people at Kabam trying to keep it that way, but I barely use Facebook and would never ask people to Like something for me. That is just weird, imo.
    edited November 2017
    MarzGroove wrote: »
    Give it a rest, people, or take it private.

This is a discussion board to have discussions which we are having discussions on the 1 million like discussion.
    edited November 2017

zl05d10xhd8y.png

No not really since it basically eliminates the demographic that we are talking about, its a subsection of a subsection of the data we are discussing.

Should have googled it...but guess you were too busy posting throughout other parts of the forum. That is exactly what the definition of stratified sampling is. Nice try though.
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    I agree with @Draco2199. They want us to get them Likes that (anyone playing this game for almost any amount of time knows) they did not earn with goodwill, customer service or customer relations. It is a great game, and I'm sure there are a lot of good people at Kabam trying to keep it that way, but I barely use Facebook and would never ask people to Like something for me. That is just weird, imo.

Exactly. Instead of doing their own promo and marketing push, they want us to bother friends and family to like the page. I keep hearing about how "There's so many that play but just haven't hit like yet" but the game's own stats show that isn't true. There only seems to be about 800k active players here going by arena, aq, and other rankings. Some of those are second or third accounts. But we are supposed to produce another 200k players in 2 weeks? It was a ridiculous request with a shiny carrot attached. This made people start running to win a race without even considering if the finish line was reachable.

zl05d10xhd8y.png

Should have googled it...but guess you were too busy posting throughout other parts of the forum. That is exactly what the definition of stratified sampling is. Nice try though.

1400 people isn't a large enough sample size lol, especially stratified using only reddit which is mostly 18 and up group. So all you did was verify that reddit is mostly an 18 and up group and even in that demographic 6% is still under 18 playing mobile games. So if we took that data and assumed that 6% was the low end of your stratified sample then you could assume that globally including 18 and under groups would be much higher around the % that I used which is actually lower than what other studies have shown. So you just proved my point for me. Thanks.
    edited November 2017

zl05d10xhd8y.png

1400 people isn't a large enough sample size lol, especially stratified using only reddit which is mostly 18 and up group. So all you did was verify that reddit is mostly an 18 and up group and even in that demographic 6% is still under 18 playing mobile games. So if we took that data and assumed that 6% was the low end of your stratified sample then you could assume that globally including 18 and under groups would be much higher around the % that I used which is actually lower than what other studies have shown. So you just proved my point for me. Thanks.

No, I pretty much just proved you do not do enough research and do not know the definition of what stratified sampling is. If you took all the people that play this game and also interact in the Reddit group for it (thus creating a strata) and then pulled a sample from that then you have performed stratified sampling. BOOM, no argument can be made against that because that is the exact proof of stratified sampling applied in the very scenario.

But have a nice day anyways. Thanks for playing, do not pass go, do not collect $200!