Drive to a Million Facebook Likes!

17810121318

Comments

  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,570 ★★★★
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    Qwerty wrote: »
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    This would all be "okay" if the crystal cost 10$ or something like that. Selling this crystal at 1$ is basically a gift (which it really is in this scenario) that is only available for pay2win players

    nah, i'm pretty okay with it being $1 as well, i'm sure, are a lot of other people.

    also, nowhere has this been stated by kabam that this was a gift. in both the in game message and the announcement it says that they will be adding a $1 crystal.

    Selling something like this at this price to commemorate an achievement ... Yep it's a gift basically

    I'm sorry, but there's no way this line of thought is remotely fair. First you're saying that since the crystal cost is "only" a dollar, it is essentially a gift. Then you are saying that since it is a gift, it shouldn't cost actual money. That isn't quite circular reasoning, but perhaps it is Moebius reasoning. You're alternating between saying a dollar is essentially zero, and saying the difference between a dollar and zero is materially significant.

    If the difference between a dollar and zero dollars is important enough to be a deal breaker for someone, then the offer cannot be "essentially" a gift. If the cost is low enough to be considered a gift, then it is low enough to be considered immaterial to any purchaser. Conversely, if the cost is material enough to be a deal breaker, that cost is significant and the offer is not a gift. You cannot reasonably claim both.

    I'm saying that the way this offer is being released, is basically a "gift" that is only available for pay2win players only, leaving a big amount of free2play players without ways to get this.

    @eXtripa69 how would you feel if the deal was literally one cents? Would it still be against your morals. I’m not taking the piss here this is a genuine question

    As I said before, it would still be impossible for me to buy it.

    It's not impossible for you to get a gift card, that shouldn't even be a sentence.

    Unless your not allowed outside or something, stop being so stingy and just pay a dollar man! Jeeeez
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,570 ★★★★
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    I'm asking for this to be available for everyone, for units. If they decided to sell this for pay2win players only they should have increased the cost of it

    No they shouldn't! Why should they? Because your having a tantrum about it!
  • No, I pretty much just proved you do not do enough research and do not know the definition of what stratified sampling is. If you took all the people that play this game and also interact in the Reddit group for it (thus creating a strata) and then pulled a sample from that then you have performed stratified sampling. BOOM, no argument can be made against that because that is the exact proof of stratified sampling applied in the very scenario.

    I'm afraid an argument can be made against that, because that is not correct. Stratified sampling is a statistical analysis tool where a single group to be stochastically measured is divided into a number of subgroups and then each subgroup is individually sampled. To be valid, the groups or strata must be well defined, mutually exclusive, and globally covering.

    In other words, to use stratified sampling on the group of all players that play MCOC, you must find a set of groups such that every player is a member of one and only one of those groups, you must know how to properly sample each group relative to the statistical measurement being attempted, and you must sample every group in your measurement.

    Polling Reddit to determine the age distribution of all players of the game is not stratified sampling. It is sampling a subset, which is statistically improper because Reddit users are self-selected in ways that make it unlikely to be a representative sample of all players, and because there's no way to correct for this discrepancy by sampling the subset of all players that are not on Reddit for comparison.

    I'm afraid both of you are using the term "stratified" wrong. Reddit is not a strata, it is a subset. It is not a representative subset.

    Statistically speaking, a seven year old cross-sectional survey and a Reddit poll both have problems, but the seven year old survey is more statistically valid. To extrapolate the seven year old survey, you simply have to factor in the likelihood that the age distribution of all gamers hasn't suddenly changed in seven years, which is likely (but not certainly) to be true to a significant degree. The Reddit poll isn't statistically valid at all, because it is a self-selected subset of a self-selected subset of a non-representative subset of all players.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 8,599 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    No, I pretty much just proved you do not do enough research and do not know the definition of what stratified sampling is. If you took all the people that play this game and also interact in the Reddit group for it (thus creating a strata) and then pulled a sample from that then you have performed stratified sampling. BOOM, no argument can be made against that because that is the exact proof of stratified sampling applied in the very scenario.

    I'm afraid an argument can be made against that, because that is not correct. Stratified sampling is a statistical analysis tool where a single group to be stochastically measured is divided into a number of subgroups and then each subgroup is individually sampled. To be valid, the groups or strata must be well defined, mutually exclusive, and globally covering.

    In other words, to use stratified sampling on the group of all players that play MCOC, you must find a set of groups such that every player is a member of one and only one of those groups, you must know how to properly sample each group relative to the statistical measurement being attempted, and you must sample every group in your measurement.

    Polling Reddit to determine the age distribution of all players of the game is not stratified sampling. It is sampling a subset, which is statistically improper because Reddit users are self-selected in ways that make it unlikely to be a representative sample of all players, and because there's no way to correct for this discrepancy by sampling the subset of all players that are not on Reddit for comparison.

    I'm afraid both of you are using the term "stratified" wrong. Reddit is not a strata, it is a subset. It is not a representative subset.

    Statistically speaking, a seven year old cross-sectional survey and a Reddit poll both have problems, but the seven year old survey is more statistically valid. To extrapolate the seven year old survey, you simply have to factor in the likelihood that the age distribution of all gamers hasn't suddenly changed in seven years, which is likely (but not certainly) to be true to a significant degree. The Reddit poll isn't statistically valid at all, because it is a self-selected subset of a self-selected subset of a non-representative subset of all players.
    Exactly, there are a huge number of factors to take into account with using only data from a sample of Reddit users.
  • JoitalJoital Posts: 10
    So much complaining about a dollar. I haven’t seen any “FTP” players complain about the $4.99 or $9.99 or $29.99...etc. so why complain now that something is for a $1. If you’re “FTP” this shouldn’t effect you.
  • QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★
    .
  • Soooo, will the 1$ crystal be limited or you can keep buying them untill you have no money left :D
  • Titan_A97Titan_A97 Posts: 179
    Are you biting more than you can chew, Kabam?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm no statistician but I do know a thing here or there. 750 / 3 = 250k likes per year on average. For purposes of this event, Kabam wants us to achieve an additional 250k in less than a month. Definitely not impossible by any means but for the most part, it's wishful thinking.

    Kabam is taunting us with a large, juicy bone here but we can only have it if Kabam first gets their fill of joys. We may be the dogs in this case and you the master. But do note that even us dogs have our breaking point, for when you taunt a dog too much, it will bite the hand taunting it.
  • Titan_A97 wrote: »
    Are you biting more than you can chew, Kabam?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm no statistician but I do know a thing here or there. 750 / 3 = 250k likes per year on average. For purposes of this event, Kabam wants us to achieve an additional 250k in less than a month. Definitely not impossible by any means but for the most part, it's wishful thinking.

    The problem with this thinking is that I'm 48 years old and only have 12 5* champs, so that's only one every four years. You're dividing all the likes they have across the existence of the game, but have they been actively trying to boost those likes for all of those three years with ad campaigns?

    The question is not how many they have over how much time, but to what degree can they encourage more likes which has little to do with how many they already have. At the current like curve, they need to go significantly faster.
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    Solswerd wrote: »
    Solswerd wrote: »
    Fluffy wrote: »
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    Raganator wrote: »
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    Fluffy wrote: »
    I simply refuse to believe that there is NO WAY to get money, whether real money or earned through some virtual rewards, onto a Google account. Google is a global company that deals with developers that are trying to make money. For them to make it impossible to add some form of currency would be counterproductive to their entire business model.

    It's called children with parents who won't let them spend on games. It's probably 35% of the player base. So yeah it's clearly impossible that could be a scenario I agree. We won't hit the goal so we don't have to worry about it anymore. There won't be an offer. Their 1 million goal was basically what they averaged per year in 3 years and they wanted it in 20 days. Never going to happen so looks like we won't get the offer.

    Please stop throwing around numbers without any facts to back it up. You lose credibility.

    https://www.parksassociates.com/blog/article/parks-pr2011-mobilegaming

    I was being conservative in my estimates

    How does it sound silly, you can look up mobile game statistics and age range of players and percentages. Why don't you look it up and do some research and then come back and then comment otherwise you just lose all credibility.

    @Draco2199 The study you posted is nearly 7 years old. Not exactly relevant as a statistic today. Here is a chart from a Reddit survey of over 1400 Reddit users and just under 1 year old. Not exactly scientific, but more relevant than something from 7 years ago. The results? Less than 6% of the player base is under 17.

    zl05d10xhd8y.png

    Um, all that survey tells you is that less than 6% of the Reddit users that visit the Marvel CoC are under the age of 17.....the game has hundreds of thousands of players...many of them from many different countries....many of them that would never go to red

    How is that any better or worse than a study that is 7 years old and that was put out before this game even existed?

    What @Draco2199 cited was a survey of the general population in regards to mobile gaming as a platform conducted by an actual market research company...yes it is 6 or 7 years old...but when you are looking at industry wide demographics the shifts in numbers tends to be rather gradual...

    The reddit survey of a small segment of people that frequent the Marvel CoC Reddit...has slightly more validity than many of the polls that pop up on this forum, but mot much more. It is too small a segment of the game's population and was only available to people that go to that site. I know many people that will not even click a link that goes to any Reddit...it is not a general survey.

    Then in many ways that is similar or could be considered stratified sampling meaning that it does have some value even if it is only a group of reddit users.

    No not really since it basically eliminates the demographic that we are talking about, its a subsection of a subsection of the data we are discussing.

    Should have googled it...but guess you were too busy posting throughout other parts of the forum. That is exactly what the definition of stratified sampling is. Nice try though.

    1400 people isn't a large enough sample size lol, especially stratified using only reddit which is mostly 18 and up group. So all you did was verify that reddit is mostly an 18 and up group and even in that demographic 6% is still under 18 playing mobile games. So if we took that data and assumed that 6% was the low end of your stratified sample then you could assume that globally including 18 and under groups would be much higher around the % that I used which is actually lower than what other studies have shown. So you just proved my point for me. Thanks.

    No, I pretty much just proved you do not do enough research and do not know the definition of what stratified sampling is. If you took all the people that play this game and also interact in the Reddit group for it (thus creating a strata) and then pulled a sample from that then you have performed stratified sampling. BOOM, no argument can be made against that because that is the exact proof of stratified sampling applied in the very scenario.

    But have a nice day anyways. Thanks for playing, do not pass go, do not collect $200!

    Umm what lol, your sample set is geared towards 18 and older demographic so its not a good sample set lol. You need a "strata" from a subset that includes EVERYONE not a subset that is 95% 18 and older reddit demographic lol. Nice fail.
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,226 ★★★★
    So, 4 days since this topic started & 46k more people have liked their fb page. I really wonder what their contingency plan is 🤔
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    We only need 12,686 likes per day to reach the goal......so I guess its not happening.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 7,949 ★★★★★
    Doesn't look good.
  • Whododo872Whododo872 Posts: 1,042 ★★★
    Draco2199 wrote: »
    We only need 12,686 likes per day to reach the goal......so I guess its not happening.

    Yeah, kind of a shame. No way we’re gonna make it at this rate
  • Titan_A97Titan_A97 Posts: 179
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Titan_A97 wrote: »
    Are you biting more than you can chew, Kabam?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm no statistician but I do know a thing here or there. 750 / 3 = 250k likes per year on average. For purposes of this event, Kabam wants us to achieve an additional 250k in less than a month. Definitely not impossible by any means but for the most part, it's wishful thinking.

    The problem with this thinking is that I'm 48 years old and only have 12 5* champs, so that's only one every four years. You're dividing all the likes they have across the existence of the game, but have they been actively trying to boost those likes for all of those three years with ad campaigns?

    The question is not how many they have over how much time, but to what degree can they encourage more likes which has little to do with how many they already have. At the current like curve, they need to go significantly faster.

    You'd be completely right in your opinion in this case. More often than not, averages barely tend to accurately and precisely represent a sample space as a whole and can often be misleading. However, they excel in giving a very general and broad statement of a sample space which can be used to determine a basic relationship such as in this case. I guess any evidence is better than none! :wink:

    I agree with your general statement though, at the current rate we're going, I do fear we won't reach the intended goal in time. Today, we have barely achieved 2-3k likes (can't record the exact number for certain), meanwhile, the likes needed per day is increasing. To put it bluntly and in a cliché, the odds are not in our favour.
  • KestrelleKestrelle Posts: 441 ★★
    So if we don't make it, and it doesn't run anyway, does the player base do a drive to 500k likes?
  • MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    edited November 2017
    Kestrelle wrote: »
    So if we don't make it, and it doesn't run anyway, does the player base do a drive to 500k likes?

    I guess we could if we wanted to be immature about it.
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,558 ★★★★
    Kabam would have better luck getting a million dislikes. 😂😂😂
  • Hey Everybody!

    The Top 12 Champion poll is live! Vote for your favourite champions of each class here: https://playcontestofchampions.com/top-12-champion-crystal-vote/
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 12,651 ★★★★★
    Before voting ... there isn't any chance for the crystal to be available for 200/300 units?
  • TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★
    edited November 2017
    Hey Everybody!

    The Top 12 Champion poll is live! Vote for your favourite champions of each class here: https://playcontestofchampions.com/top-12-champion-crystal-vote/

    @Kabam Miike Why is the poll missing Green Goblin and Doc Oc?
  • TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★
    Hey Everybody!

    The Top 12 Champion poll is live! Vote for your favourite champions of each class here: https://playcontestofchampions.com/top-12-champion-crystal-vote/

    @Kabam Miike Why is the poll missing Green Goblin and Doc Oc?

    ikkozk8sjj4p.png
  • KocheeseKocheese Posts: 391 ★★
    This would be a easy task if ppl actually liked kabam. They game we love!!! The way kabam treats ppl is pretty bad. Ignore everything bad about the game.. put out deals.... Sums it up. Until they do right by their customers i simply can't like the page
  • Cosmic_Ray13Cosmic_Ray13 Posts: 302
    Kocheese wrote: »
    This would be a easy task if ppl actually liked kabam. They game we love!!! The way kabam treats ppl is pretty bad. Ignore everything bad about the game.. put out deals.... Sums it up. Until they do right by their customers i simply can't like the page

    You need to know that they read EVERY forum on this site. They know what's wrong with the game when you tell them. It takes more than a few minutes to change a bug in the game.
  • Cosmic_Ray13Cosmic_Ray13 Posts: 302
    @Kabam Miike Can you buy Multiple of these crystals? or can you just buy one?
  • IanMooneIanMoone Posts: 640 ★★
    Hey Everybody!

    The Top 12 Champion poll is live! Vote for your favourite champions of each class here: https://playcontestofchampions.com/top-12-champion-crystal-vote/

    @Kabam Miike Why is the poll missing Green Goblin and Doc Oc?

    Main reason i guess is bc Green Goblin is being added to the premiums tomorrow and Doc Ock on dec 5th
  • IanMooneIanMoone Posts: 640 ★★
    @Kabam Miike Can you buy Multiple of these crystals? or can you just buy one?

    One crystal, just like how they did the 5* class crystal few mons ago
Sign In or Register to comment.