**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

AI special intercepting a lot?

Im not usually one to moan out my problems on the forums, and maybe this just becomes more common as you progress deeper into the game. But it feels like every 3 or 4 tries I dash in to hit the AI’s block and take a special to the face. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Sammy0421HSammy0421H Posts: 92
    That was not intentional, I only pressed it once… can I delete the others?
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,209 ★★★★★
    8.1 beta AI bait my dash to intercept with special. Happened 32 thousand times atleast
  • Riptide368Riptide368 Posts: 114
    Its definitely increased recently. I've lost multiple battlegrounds matches because of it
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    I feel like people don’t understand that they’re not really supposed to dash in when the opponent has over a bar, unless they’re being REALLY defensive but even then you can get punished.
  • ThecurlerThecurler Posts: 839 ★★★★
    Malreck04 said:

I feel like people don’t understand that they’re not really supposed to dash in when the opponent has over a bar, unless they’re being REALLY defensive but even then you can get punished.

Agree with that to an extent. It’s always been risky if the defender has a bar of power.
    However in my experience, facing a passive ai that is reluctant to throw specials but continues to close space down is a more regular ai behaviour:
    Gets to a point where block hitting is necessary to manage space… then ai intercepts with special attack even when they are solidly holding block.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,106 ★★★★
    edited May 2022

Malreck04 said:

No there’s definitely been a change. The AI used to throw specials or not throw specials in a routine way, like if they did a certain action. For example blocking after you dash back, they never threw a special. So you could dash back in, tap their blocks a couple times and dash back to carry on baiting.

Now, the AI stutters and taps their block on and off a couple times so when you dash back in, they just special intercept you.

This is something I’ve spoken about with many people, and we all think the same. The AI behaviour has changed. Whether that’s by design, or some mystery change kabam doesn’t realise they’ve made is up in the air. There’s a thread on AI behaviour that has been going for 6 months without reply, detailing all the changes we’re seeing. This is one of them.
    The stuttering is such a clear change, so is the general intercept ability.

My two faves are being light intercepted when using herc and the enemy is infuriated... And enemies with unlockable specials firing them into your block.

But the stutter from block to hit and back again it's the most annoying.

(It's like the AI thinks you are playing with nightcrawler and is trying to get you to stance switch..)
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Malreck04 said:

No there’s definitely been a change. The AI used to throw specials or not throw specials in a routine way, like if they did a certain action. For example blocking after you dash back, they never threw a special. So you could dash back in, tap their blocks a couple times and dash back to carry on baiting.

Now, the AI stutters and taps their block on and off a couple times so when you dash back in, they just special intercept you.

This is something I’ve spoken about with many people, and we all think the same. The AI behaviour has changed. Whether that’s by design, or some mystery change kabam doesn’t realise they’ve made is up in the air. There’s a thread on AI behaviour that has been going for 6 months without reply, detailing all the changes we’re seeing. This is one of them.
    The stuttering is such a clear change, so is the general intercept ability.

My two faves are being light intercepted when using herc and the enemy is infuriated... And enemies with unlockable specials firing them into your block.

But the stutter from block to hit and back again it's the most annoying.

(It's like the AI thinks you are playing with nightcrawler and is trying to get you to stance switch..)
    Yep, the AI is much more likely to throw light attacks now. Whether that’s infuriated, when they’re back against the wall and you’re heavy attacking, whether they just walk forward and light attack you instead of what they used to do - which was dashing. This means they often catch you out, since they just walk up when you’re ready to parry then light attack before you can react.

The stuttering is the worst when you dash back, usually when baiting specials. You dash back, they stutter. What used to happen is if you dash back while baiting, they dash forward but miss you or you dex. Now, you dash, they stutter and then dash kinda like a false start in a sprint, then because of the stutter they manage to catch you. And because the AI won’t throw specials as easily, this happens really often.

And as you point out, the AI has stopped throwing specials when we bait, but really likes throwing specials when we block (usually a tactic to *stop* the AI throwing specials). They will fairly often throw specials into block now, which sucks for Bishop, Peni, G2099 or Knull who you don’t want to use a special 1.