The Future of Side Quests and the Community - a message to Kabam

XXGhost_RiderXXXXGhost_RiderXX Member Posts: 246 ★★★
edited August 2022 in Suggestions and Requests
I must say, recently (over the past few months) I have found side quests to be rather boring, and unnecessarily time consuming and tedious, especially considering the menial payout. EOP has been a blessing (I'm currently thronebreaker... probably gonna be paragon in 2+ years at this pace) but events like this aren't for everyone (literally and figuratively). I understand not everyone feels this way and that rank will/does affect a lot, however, Contest of Champions is a player driven game (kinda why Realm of Champions up and died after a bit of time), and I think it's time Kabam consult the community on what they want from an event, especially if it's going to be a month long.

Now, I understand things are planned months and months ahead, and side quests often correlate even if briefly to the event quest/champions released for a specific month; and there obviously will be caveats to this, such as not everyone getting what they want in terms of an event, prizes, etc. But I think the community should really be involved in this process.

As for how something like this can be figured out, I was thinking along the lines of maybe conducting a poll to figure out which past side quests were most appreciated/desirable according to the community. This will then be followed by several propositions (from the community) which would be similar to, but not the same as, the most desirable/appreciated past side quests. From there, Kabam could cherry pick the options they like (with any alterations if necessary), and conduct a summoner's choice styled poll on these events. This will both get the community involved and bring more interest into the rather lackluster side quest lineup.

That's it for me mostly, however, if anyone else has any recommendations, feel free to drop a comment, and y'all have a great day :)

Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,793 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Firstly what are your ideas for different side quests or their format? You’ve suggested the community comes together to give ideas, and yet provided none of your own.

^^^^^^
    Exactly this.

Why make a lengthy post but really say nothing other than you don't like side quests?

What would you change in the rewards?

What would make them not boring for you?

What members of the community gets to make decisions on side quest content?

Who decides the rewards?

How does Kabam decide what to do and how would they handle the fighting if an idea isn't picked but one that doesn't feel as valuable is?

Aside from all that, just giving your feedback on what you think works and what doesn't is just as good as creating a poll that everyone would just vote for their best interests. Kabam already sends out surveys for those who signed up for summer sanctum. They also pull feedback from posts on the forums. But this, there's nothing in this post to take back to the team.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,701 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    This years side quests have been light years better than the confusing , over-elaborate side quests we saw late last year. The dual month side quest last fall was possibly one of the worst ever IMHO
  • GOTGGOTG Member Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    What he said is there must be a way for him to get greater rewards easier, otherwise side quest sucks, because our "community" can only think that far.

• ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    Please don't ask the community for what they want on side events as it will get flooded with "mutant treasure island" as everyone seems to use this as the benchmark despite it being well known (but commonly overlooked) that the rewards were heavily bugged in the players favor.

Personally, I'm just happy to have a side event each month. Maybe I've been playing too long but I remember the days when side events weren't automatic and were extremely appreciated if they did show up in a month.

Currently, if I like a side event, I play it (probably do 95% of them) and if I don't like it, I just don't do it.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,416 ★★★★★
    I am fine with the side quests. Some are better than others. I prefer them to be quick, and uncomplicated. Otherwise I just do them and move on.

• BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Member Posts: 2,363 ★★★★
    I appreciate the side quests that have a currency and a store. For example the Daily Bugle store, the mystic archives, and even the Valkyrie store. For me these had reasonable difficulty and you could choose items from the store you wanted based on Progression, amount of side quest currency, and what you wanted. Hoping more of those types continue to show up. Also when there is no energy cost that is good too.
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 3,110 ★★★★★
    My only issue with this is that if you have listened to opinions of the community in the past, they were either big fans of Mutant Treasure Island when it was bugged and you could clearly see everything allowing you to plan your path in advance or something like Rocket's scrap yard which they have gone on record multiple times was actually a hastily thrown last minute event Quest as their intended side quest fell apart at the last minute.

Then you have others who prefer an event Quest so simplified it's essentially no risk/ all reward featuring the most exclusive and rarest of Rewards to the point that it causes a major shift of both the economy and The Meta of the game and arguably pushing us closer to the point where we're going to have to have that discussion again about Seven Stars or relics and as they pointed out on other threads recently, they're not in a rush to introduce Seven Stars after their mistakes from the debut of six stars.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,094 ★★★★★
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Here are some design points I have been very grateful for recently:

1) the star ore store - pick the rewards you need in the order you need.

2) r4 materials are NOT locked to the last day of the month or some such BS. I could buy early last month. I can do one path per week this month.

3) best rewards are not locked behind 100% completion. I feel comfortable skipping those 5-star sig stones and it doesn’t cost me a second extremely valuable reward.

4) multiple difficulties are available but not required - this is great for hero use or when you’re chasing oddly specific rewards (4-star shards for iso?)

5) no energy use or one per tile - speaks for itself. I’ve made loads of progress on act 7 and I’ve enjoyed reengafing with the game.

5a) the completion offers for EQ with the potions and revives are a must-keep. This is a personal mental block for me, but if I have to buy that stuff during a quest, each failure feels worse than the one before it. If I have a stack of expiring team revives and I can go nuts on 7.3.6 Kang or Gwenmaster, then I can do it without beating myself up.
  • KerneasKerneas Member Posts: 3,803 ★★★★★
    The addition of Cav crystals made these relevant for many more people. It's a huge well of ISO (/gold) and opportunity to get more champs. I know I had tremendous luck when I pulled 6* CGR (dupp) and Air-Walker, but it proves my point that there is still value in those