**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Old school cool - still worth the investment?

OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,689 ★★★★
edited September 2022 in Strategy and Tips
Like many who have recently finished exploring 7.1, I have a short term overflow of 6* sig stones. I also am sitting on two generic AGs. I’m willing to spend one of them, will keep the other for QS/IIM/Galan assuming I manage to land one of them in the coming months.

The champs I’m looking at are in what I consider the ‘old school cool’ category - great champs but aging a bit for the current meta. The question is - are they still worth the investment?

My three strongest AG candidates are OS, Cap IW, and Corvus. I have OS and Cap as 5* max sig so I have been holding off on pulling the trigger on either of them, and only recently acquired Corvus. Another option is Guardian, who I like but also have at 5* and at max sig. I’m also not quite sure he is worth a generic. I also have been having a huge amount of fun with my Scorpion (although not in the old school cool category), who I would like to awaken. That said, I struggle to think about using a gem on him - particularly a generic - given how little he needs his sig ability relative to the others I’m looking at.

If I do Cap IW (or Scorpion), I can get him to max sig since I have 75 science stones as well as 165 generics. With OS and Guardian I wouldn’t be able to immediately take them to 200, but awfully alcove (can take OS to 190 and Guardian to 180).

The other part of me thinks I shouldn’t use either of my generics right now as these champs are solid but aging, and instead hope for a natural scorpy, Guardian, or Corvus dup from the featured, as well as a cap/scorpy dup from the two science/mystic crystals I’m going to take from the Summer event. In that case I’d just use the ~45 stones I have in overflow on champs that I currently have awakened that get good value from a higher sig - specifically Nimrod and Ultron.

What do you all think?

P.S. I have most of the rest of the ‘usual suspects’ already awakened as you can see from my ranked 6* roster.

Old school cool - still worth the investment? 24 votes

Old school cool all the way - awaken Cap IW and take him to sig 200
16%
YoMovesMackeysherin_66wheatmann 4 votes
Old school cool part 2 - awaken Omega Sentinel and take him to sig 190 (have Sabertooth and Colossus synergies)
12%
MoosetiptronicTheExit27MCOCHazza 3 votes
Old school cool part 3 - Awaken Corvus - use the sigs for someone else
4%
Noobieu 1 vote
Old school cool part 4 - Awaken Guardian and take him to sig 190
8%
willrun4adonutVVDoom 2 votes
Awaken Scorpy and take him to sig 200
33%
SpeedbumpMobile_P0tat0RenaxqqCrcrcrcInsaneSkullZAHIDMALIK158813579rebel_BrickWad_TD44 8 votes
Old school NOT cool - Don’t use your AGs - instead use your overflow on Nimrod/Ultron
20%
Spurgeon14RockyshockyYsFBollandGunner14 5 votes
Awaken someone else (please specify)
4%
0casual0 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,549 ★★★★★
    edited September 2022
    Omega sentinel is old school? She's barely a year a old 🤔

Edit - just realised she's barely half a year old 🤣
  • Options
    A **** - guess I wasn’t fully awake when I posted this - that’s supposed to be Omega Red
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,752 ★★★★★
    If you run suicides, Omega Red is probably a good option. If you don't, I wouldn't.

I'm actually eyeing my Cap IW. I have him unawakened at r1 but if I can get him awakened, I think he'd be a really solid investment. I used my 5* all the time back in the day and got quite burnt out on him, but he has gotten a lot of good synergies since then, and a lot of his own synergies have been improved a lot since many of the champions in them (who were usually trash when he first came out) have been buffed in the past few years. As such, no one (that I know) ever really used those synergies, but now they can actually be quite valuable for a team.

Scorpion doesn't need his sig at all. I'm saying this as someone with an r3-thinking-of-r4 awakened Scorpion. The number of times I've found a use for that ability can be counted on one hand. It's nice when it kicks in but that's not why you'd rank up the champion.

Corvus...I don't know. I guess you run suicides based on your PI (unless you had a boost on when you took those pictures), in which case his sig can be pretty nice to have. You obviously like him enough to rank him up as high as you have. The thing I would ask you is, does his charges last long enough that you can actually rely on them to keep his immortality up? That's one thing that really bothered me about my 5* and is the reason I've been hesitant about ranking up my 6*. I just found that my charges ran out way quicker than was necessary for me to take down champs, and when they're gone, you lose your immortality as well. But if they last long enough for you, the sig in itself is great. Especially with suicides.
  • Options
    Thanks @Ercarret for the thoughtful input and perspective. Yes, you are correct - I run suicides about 90% of the time, generally only turning them off for progression or certain fights where they are a hindrance.

I agree on Corvus - tried using him once or twice on 8.1 last week and generally he was running out of charges while his opponent still had ALOT of health left. So, while I like him and am happy with the rank up, it isn’t a no brainer to give him a stone.

I think where I’m leaning after your advice and a bit more thought is to not use the AGs and see if I can get some natural awakenings on some of these. In addition to a number of upcoming crystal openings, I also have a class AG coming with 8.1 exploration that will also help resolve this.

Hadn’t thought about the additional new synergies that Cap IW has and that definitely raises his stock…
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,109 ★★★★
    Old school cool part 2 - awaken Omega Sentinel and take him to sig 190 (have Sabertooth and Colossus synergies)
    I'd go with Omega red, even though cable/apoc can do a lot of what he does. Dealing with damage back is nice. And he's the suicides og king.

Ultron sig up would be useful too though
  • Options
    13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,408 ★★★★★
    Awaken Scorpy and take him to sig 200
    Scorpigod all the way
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,549 ★★★★★

A **** - guess I wasn’t fully awake when I posted this - that’s supposed to be Omega Red

Haha after rereading your post i was adamant you actually meant og sentinel but I was still wrong 🙈😂😂

Definitely Cap for me though, it wasn't that long ago (maybe 5 months ish) that I awakened mine n took him to r3 max sig
  • Options
    Ok, so some new data. Today I pulled this bad boy:

He worth a generic? I’ll probably pull a few more featured before this one expires before I used it, but curious as to what the community thinks.
  • Options
    YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★

Ok, so some new data. Today I pulled this bad boy:

He worth a generic? I’ll probably pull a few more featured before this one expires before I used it, but curious as to what the community thinks.

Hulkling's dupe provides marginal use and does little for his actual kit-he is completely fine unduped.
  • Options
    As an update on this I managed to naturally awaken my Scorpy and my Guardian and pulled a science AG from my 8.1 exploration so have awakened and brought my cap IW to max sig.

Going to hold off on using the generics for Galan/Quicksilver/IMIW, so for now not going to invest in my 6* Omega Sentinel.

Question to @Ercarret - Any new thoughts on Scorpion and his sig ability? I’m happy to have the unblockable help but wondering if I should bother invest any sigs for the healing. Sort of thinking not. Any new insights in the past few weeks? Like you I’m pretty seriously looking at him for R4 - likely my next one.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,752 ★★★★★
    No, not really. I tend to bring in Miles Morales for unblockable fights so it's rare that Scorpion meets anyone who is unblockable. As for using sig stones on him, I probably wouldn't. My Scorpion is only sig 20 so I don't have any experience with him at higher sig, but I also haven't used that particular ability especially often. It's such a niche ability that I don't think it would be the best investment. Especially since the healing is capped anyway.
  • Options
    Ercarret said:

No, not really. I tend to bring in Miles Morales for unblockable fights so it's rare that Scorpion meets anyone who is unblockable. As for using sig stones on him, I probably wouldn't. My Scorpion is only sig 20 so I don't have any experience with him at higher sig, but I also haven't used that particular ability especially often. It's such a niche ability that I don't think it would be the best investment. Especially since the healing is capped anyway.

Thanks - appreciate the additional perspective.