Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Endgame players using 3*s in battlegrounds

I just read the update that efforts will be made to ensure players only use their best champs in battlegrounds, and I find it very disappointing.

I'm a paragon player, and this past season I primarily used 3*s in battlegrounds (I finished in diamond). I casually played it for fun.

I'm not defending adding a handful of 3*s for the purpose of sandbagging, but rather making an entire deck of 3*s.

I found that this method made battlegrounds much more enjoyable because it was more skill based rather than being about who had the better pulls.

It finally gave a reason to invest in and use lower rarity champs.

It was incentive to grab new 3*s from the arena.

It made it possible to try out and get a feel for new champs before investing in them as 5 or 6*s.

Finally there was a mode outside of the arena where there was incentive to rank up and use more than the current 10 meta champs (and it didn't take months of grinding to get the resources to do it). It was refreshing to see that bottleneck opened up, and it's really a shame to see kabam tighten that noose again.

This is something they should lean into, not away from. Make an option in battlegrounds that limits decks to certain star levels (optional, for those interested). Level the playing field by creating a more competitive mode where newer players have a chance for an even match against endgame players. Please kabam.

Let's see who's the best, not just who has the best luck at opening crystals.

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,267 ★★★★★
    Going to have to disagree. People weren't primarily using it for fun. They were using it to take advantage of other Players. It would be perfectly feasible to do that with Friendly Matches. Not when it manipulates the Matchmaking.
  • Options
    LokxLokx Posts: 288 ★★★

You were potentially being matched with newer players, which were no doubt less skilled than you. I hardly call that fair.
    The way I see it you also took advantage of the flaws in the system.

if you have access to battleground then you should be uncollected and up, with the current meta no player who is uncollected would be using 3* in their battleground deck. They would have a few 5* and majority 4*.

I also did the same thing and i was matching up with people who were cav and up.
  • Options
    ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Lokx said:

You were potentially being matched with newer players, which were no doubt less skilled than you. I hardly call that fair.
    The way I see it you also took advantage of the flaws in the system.

if you have access to battleground then you should be uncollected and up, with the current meta no player who is uncollected would be using 3* in their battleground deck. They would have a few 5* and majority 4*.

I also did the same thing and i was matching up with people who were cav and up.
    That is a fair point. However I still don’t think it’s completely fair that you get to advance in the same tiers as someone using their top champs.
    Feels like exploiting a loophole.
  • Options
    How is it unfair? The whole point of my post was to try and make a more fair version for battlegrounds?

All of the matchups were typically against tb or paragon players with the same 3* I had. It's more even. Half the time I was actially at a disadvantage because I'd be matched against players trying to sandbag with 5&6* champs.

Just to reiterate, I am not advocating for sandbagging, I'm advocating for kabam to allow people to utilize their entire roster for a competitive game mode rather than the same top champs. Give people the option.

Also, to my original post, if kabam made and option to restrict battlegrounds to a particular star level (not unlike the arena) in addition to the current system, it would eliminate people's ability to sandbag with 2*s and potentially create a level playing field where skill is the determining factor in the outcome moreso than luck on crystal openings.
  • Options
    Selecting the Rarity you want to use would be a nightmare for Matchmaking. You'd be waiting Lord knows how long.
  • Options
    There are plenty of people already doing it and the wait times aren't bad. Having an official mode would just even the playing field to address your earlier concern. I'd be content with just a 3* competitive mode if matchmaking time was an issue though.

BTW, I'm telling you I've done it for almost the whole season, why do you think your speculation trumps my experience?
  • Options
    There are 6 (soon to be 7) Rarities. What works for you will not necessarily work overall for everyone. How do you propose they structure the Rewards? Do you give less for lower Rarities?
    Why isn't a more viable solution to do so with Friendly Matches?
  • Options
    Everyone has 3*s, not everyone will have 7*s.

3*s are what works for everyone. You've got it backwards. 7*s will just come down to either rng (who got luck with a good pull) or money ( who can afford the most crystals, offers, etc).

The rewards are currently the same for winning with 3*s as they are 6*s. All you have to do is not change them.

Why are you so opposed to a suggestion that would make the game more competitive, more fun, and give people a reason to be excited about opening (otherwise useless) crystals like 3* crystals?
  • Options
    So you want new Players, who presumably have 3*s, to come up against Paragon Players with 3*s? That's what you're suggesting. That's the only thing they'd have to play with.
  • Options
    It's a competitive mode, there's always going to be the chance that one player is better than another. If you don't want to 'risk it' don't play competive modes lol.

But even so, it's one match and the 'creme will rise' so to speak. The good players will rise through the ranks just like how it works now. It just means the distribution will be more skill based than luck/spending. Are you concerned that as a paragon player I may be matched against the best in the game with the current system? They'd make short work of me. It's the exact same thing.

Someone also said above that you need to be uncollected to play battlegrounds. If they can become uncollected with just 3*s they'll do just fine against anyone's 3* deck.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but a Paragon Player taking on someone new to the game has nothing to do with skill.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,708 ★★★★★
    How far should someone with no skill expect to get?

• Options
    Grounded wisdom, if you need to be uncollected to play battlegrounds then the new players with only 3*s aren't eligible to play. The situation you are trying to avoid doesn't exist.

Furthermore taking the competive aspect out of a competitive mode completely defeats the purpose. All my suggestion would do is give players an option to avoid being matched against pay to win players, or at least if they do it's on a level playing field.

Have a 'training camp' version for players who aren't uncollected so they can get their feet wet against other new players.
  • Options
    How is it not competitive unless you use 3*s?
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    I've seen a lot of these types of threads about how it isn't an issue if people are both using 3*s or 4*s in a deck because it's fair. Here's the thing, every single game mode I'm this game heavily favours having better and higher ranked champions because it's the only way Kabam can make money. Profile Pics, Titles, and other cosmetics don't keep the game running. AW, AQ, Questing, Incursions, Arena. All of these modes are easier to succeed in with a stronger and deeper roster. BGs isn't going to be different. If a player has the option of electing to use lower rarities to still have "fair" fights then they get the ability to circumvent that whole system of benefitting from stronger champions. People have put time and money to have stronger champions. There can't be a loophole to get around the need for those. If people want to play 3*s against 3*s, be my guest, but it doesn't belong in the Ranked version of this game mode. There needs to be an Unranked alternative in addition to Friendlies where this can be done
  • Options
    PetieCameronPetieCameron Posts: 260
    Tbh I think it should be categorised like contender, uncollected,cav, n so on so if people are stupid enough to use 3* then they always meet some one from there own lvl and then if using a 3* it is just like to have the matches go faster rather than it being exploit because u would use the lvl * champ u have most of ranked up for example I'm throne braker I have good amount of 2* 3* 5* 6* champs ranked up so I'd look through what I felt was my best option for the nodes available then u have your best like 5* team over all then u would go with your 5* and other people would maybe be choosing there 2* because they may have duped fury n other good champs so u may have rubbish amount of ranked 6* but u got stacked 3* n it wouldn't matter because u can only find other thronebraker or paragon only find other paragon n so on & then have paragon fight for 150k tokens tb 110k cav 75k n work it down like that for there top spots.
  • Options
    JMORG1111JMORG1111 Posts: 158
    Just force everyone to use 5* (or 4*) and lower. Kabam wins because it forces people to rank champs they wouldn't normally (and would push sales of new champ offers). Then open it up to free for all match making.
  • Options
    Kung_PaoKung_Pao Posts: 11
    Battlegrounds is fine how it is.
  • Options
    People are using full 3* decks right now.

Having a 3* only option would just reduce the sandbagging.

If you would rather use your best champs go for it. I don't get why people are opposed to having an option that adds value to your 6*s and let's you try out the new champs without an unreasonable investment.

To each their own.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★

I'm sorry, but a Paragon Player taking on someone new to the game has nothing to do with skill.

Then new players shouldn't be put in the same group as Paragon players. As long as everyone is sin the same group and fighting for the same rewards, everyone should be fair to match anyone else.