**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Battlegrounds matchmaking

I won’t speak on behalf of all the battlegrounds players but I will speak for those who have talked about the issue. Your matchmaking is broken to the max, I’ve seen posts of ppl running all 2* decks being matched with PARAGON PLAYERS. I’ve had similar experiences where I’m forced to run a 4* deck cause of your matchmaking and still somehow get shafted by being put against paragon players and being forced to just quit because there’s no way to win.

TLDR: Kabam you need to fix your matchmaking on behalf of the players who have had my same experience

Comments

• Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,295 ★★★★★
    Why are you not using your top champs? They literally made a post telling people that they wouldn't have a choice but to run their top champs after the matchmaking changes. This isn't an issue, this is a fix to stop people from sandbagging.
  • Options
    Boaby_3Boaby_3 Posts: 5
    I'm 3 years and a bit in the game. Not free to play, I spend some dollars, nothing crazy. Anyway, I'm Cavalier, ground my way there, and ground my way to a half decent deck which I am building up before I try for Thronebreaker over the holiday season. I feel obliged to play Battlegrounds because of the rewards, especially as I like to pull my weight on Alliance Events. But I am routinely matched with players who (a) have significantly better decks than me, (b) are Thronebreaker or above, and (c) given their progression are much better fighters than me. I feel I could give Battlegrounds a go if I was matched on the deck I select (say 4* vs. 4*, or lower, more like the Arenas) but this mode and the way it works is close to making me give up the game. If that's Kabam's intention, fine. But Battlegrounds as it currently works is really turning me off of the game. I get the concept of progression etc. but there has to be a level people can play this game and enjoy it, in every mode, even Battlegrounds. I would hate to count up the dollars I've spent and just give the game up, but I'm close to it.
  • Options
    Kabam Jax said:

... I’ve seen posts of ppl running all 2* decks being matched with PARAGON PLAYERS. ...

We made targeted adjustments to the matchmaking to stop players from "sandbagging." Summoners who stack their decks with weaker champions hoping to get easier matchups will no longer benefit from this strategy. This was a very intentional change made a little while ago.
    Sorry, but in an individual game mode, that's NOT matchmaking. Look at Arenas.
  • Options
    Boaby_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

... I’ve seen posts of ppl running all 2* decks being matched with PARAGON PLAYERS. ...

We made targeted adjustments to the matchmaking to stop players from "sandbagging." Summoners who stack their decks with weaker champions hoping to get easier matchups will no longer benefit from this strategy. This was a very intentional change made a little while ago.
    So you think people should be allowed to sandbag cause that's fair right? Lol
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 970 ★★★

Why are you not using your top champs? They literally made a post telling people that they wouldn't have a choice but to run their top champs after the matchmaking changes. This isn't an issue, this is a fix to stop people from sandbagging.

My account has 2 R4's, a few R3's and then the rest are either R2 or 5/65's. The accounts I face have similar prestige to me but a staggering amount of R3's and R4's. It's becoming insurmountable. My top champions get banned everytime.

I used to build my decks around a consistent rarity/rank like all 5/65's, or all 5*4/55's so I could match accounts that were on even footing to my own. 9/10 I faced sandbaggers, but I did a whole lot better against them than I am now.
  • Options
    phil56201 said:

My account has 2 R4's, a few R3's and then the rest are either R2 or 5/65's. The accounts I face have similar prestige to me but a staggering amount of R3's and R4's. It's becoming insurmountable. My top champions get banned everytime.

I used to build my decks around a consistent rarity/rank like all 5/65's, or all 5*4/55's so I could match accounts that were on even footing to my own. 9/10 I faced sandbaggers, but I did a whole lot better against them than I am now.
    While I agree with the fact that Battlegrounds are very hard for the stronger players now, the issue is that while you may have done quite well against these sandbaggers, the rest of us below your level didn't. So much so last season it would take me about 10-15 matches on average just to climb up to the next league because I'd get paired with Paragon and TB sandbaggers with a bunch of 1* and 2* (and this was two weeks after BGs had started mind you). So, they need to work on the matchmaking and make some other adjustments for sure but they definitely can't bring back sandbagging cause then we'll go back to the same issues again.
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 970 ★★★
    Yeah, the sandbagging was definetly irritating. But it wasn't exactly easy before, but with enough perseverance I could get 3 wins in a row and climb another tier. I wound up in Vibranium by the end of last season. I'm sitting at Gold 1 RN, with little chance of moving any further. I've won 5 out of my last 16 matchups (roughly 30%) since this change went live a few days ago. Before that I was winning about 50%-60% of my matchups.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

In fact those targeted adjustments, just made the matchmaking even more unfair that it was before.
    Yes we got rid of sandbagging but with your Prestige/Total Base Rating matchmaking algorithm you are screwing over big accounts in favour of smaller ones.
    This algorithm is matchmaking manipulation same as was sandbagging.
    Kabam seems that learned nothing from AW prestige matchmaking fiasco and is repeating the same mistake on BGs.
    The outrage after season ends, from nearly half the Paragon players that won’t make it to Gladiator Circuit (because they only match each other), losing ranked rewards, that lower Uncollected accounts are grabbing by only matching similar small accounts and have a free pass to GC, will be hilarious.
    Why you just don’t make matchmaking totally random within the same bracket in Victory Track?
    Where is the problem with that?
    If it is the miss matches at the start, just give higher accounts a kick start on higher brackets ffs.
    Since matchmaking changes my main 3.5mil account struggles stuck at VT Vibranium bracket matching other sweaty 3mil+ accounts, while my second 300k Cavalier account fly through brackets unbeatable to Gladiator Circuit, matching other small new players accounts.
    My small account will receive ranked rewards while my main can’t 😠
    Thanks for punishing progress in a progress based game.
    That’s a great business plan.
    It is at least infuriating 😡
  • Options
    JefechutaJefechuta Posts: 1,205 ★★★★
    Main problem right now aint the sandbaggers, it doesnt matter when I have 5 R3 6* and I get matched with people with more than 10 of them even with a good bunch of R4, literally this aint matchmaking, this is pay to win, spend 1000 cash to get some Cavs to get ISO and new 6* and duplicate them so you play vs a dude that has maybe 6 awakened 6*, just boring, and even with that I reached Diamond 1 just by playing well, but to get Vibranium I have to deal with all the big whales and Its soooo annoying after 5 matches on a row vs full R4s and R3s
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,304 ★★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

You may not be at liberty to answer this question but thought it’s worth asking. What’s the real goal of matchmaking? Is it to have fair fights based on account progression or is it supposed to be a competitive mode and anyone can face anyone in the victory track. Not asking the specifics of how it’s done but just the overall philosophy.
  • Options
    phil56201 said:

Yeah, the sandbagging was definetly irritating. But it wasn't exactly easy before, but with enough perseverance I could get 3 wins in a row and climb another tier. I wound up in Vibranium by the end of last season. I'm sitting at Gold 1 RN, with little chance of moving any further. I've won 5 out of my last 16 matchups (roughly 30%) since this change went live a few days ago. Before that I was winning about 50%-60% of my matchups.

Yeah, you could, we couldn't. As I said people below you stood no chance.
    They absolutely need to make some adjustments to matchmaking next season but allowing sandbagging again is not the solution.
  • Options
    Skydad23Skydad23 Posts: 539 ★★★

phil56201 said:

While I agree with the fact that Battlegrounds are very hard for the stronger players now, the issue is that while you may have done quite well against these sandbaggers, the rest of us below your level didn't. So much so last season it would take me about 10-15 matches on average just to climb up to the next league because I'd get paired with Paragon and TB sandbaggers with a bunch of 1* and 2* (and this was two weeks after BGs had started mind you). So, they need to work on the matchmaking and make some other adjustments for sure but they definitely can't bring back sandbagging cause then we'll go back to the same issues again.

I completely disagree. This is screwing paragon players, the most because there is the biggest gap in rosters at the top you can have 1million hero rating and get to paragon and face people that have a 4 million hero rating. The difference of those rosters is drastic. It’s far easier now for cavalier players. And thrown breaker players to climb the ranks. I’m moving up much faster with my small cavalier account. I was diamond won the first two seasons with my paragon account and now I’ve been sitting at gold one for close to 60 matches when I lost only three matches to get to gold one before the change.

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,249 ★★★★★
    Boaby_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Arenas are against AI. Not other people.
  • Options
    HuenasHuenas Posts: 33
    Simple formula is you cannot match anyone with more ranks than you’re highest rarity champs.

If you put in 3 r4 6 then you never face anyone w more than 3 r4 6.

If your highest is 10 r5 4* then you never face more than someone w 10 r5 4*

They will never do this as the biggest spenders will cry and Moan about how they cannot use their “diverse decks” they’ve spent a college tuition to obtain.

But that’s an easy fix that would literally flatline the sandbagging issue and make the mode all about skill.
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,109 ★★★★
    Skydad23 said:

phil56201 said:

I completely disagree. This is screwing paragon players, the most because there is the biggest gap in rosters at the top you can have 1million hero rating and get to paragon and face people that have a 4 million hero rating. The difference of those rosters is drastic. It’s far easier now for cavalier players. And thrown breaker players to climb the ranks. I’m moving up much faster with my small cavalier account. I was diamond won the first two seasons with my paragon account and now I’ve been sitting at gold one for close to 60 matches when I lost only three matches to get to gold one before the change.

IMO when players get to High Plat/Diamond they should be matched with anyone in those tiers regardless of progression. If people want to advance into GC, at some point they have to be ready to match with anyone.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,685 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022
    Currently listening to my paragon colleague raging because he is facing better paragons and its not fair or fun. He divided by zero when I asked him if he thought beating on lower strength rosters all the way to vibranium was fair or fun.

Then he raged harder when his brilliant plan to start sandbagging resulted in being forced to take 3 x 1* champs during the selection phase.

My face now hurts because I neither smile nor laugh in a month like I have in the last 20 minutes.

• Options
    Skydad23 said:

phil56201 said:

Again, I don't disagree with any of that, strong players are screwed indeed, but fixing an issue to create another one (which is exactly what's happening) is not the solution. If you want a solution so you get fair matches that's understandable and I completely agree, they need to find a solution. However, if what you want is to have an excuse to be allowed to sandbag freely again then no, cause that would be more of a skill issue on your part rather that matchmaking. It's one thing to want fair matches, and another to want face weaker opponents who stand no chance by manipulating your deck.
  • Options

Boaby_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Wow. Really? Who controls my defender in BG when I'm fighting at the same time with my attacker? BG fights are also vs. AI. LOL.
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,109 ★★★★
    Boaby_3 said:

Boaby_3 said:

Kabam Jax said:

Wow. Really? Who controls my defender in BG when I'm fighting at the same time with my attacker? BG fights are also vs. AI. LOL.
    Winning a round in Arenas barely has any consequences when compared to winning a round in BGs. It could be the difference between winning the match or losing
  • Options
    BrhynoBrhyno Posts: 9
    They just need to scrap the whole BG system and make it tiered. It’s really not fair that I am paired with someone with 3-4x my PI because of my current rank in the game. EVERY other game I play that has competitive modes has them tiered to make it competitive within your skill set. I never played BG til this week and after this week I probably won’t again. I refuse to pay money to a company who has never had the players in their best interest and the game has never ran well since I’ve been playing. Maybe I’m in the wrong here, but I doubt it.