**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Quicksilver Whiplash Damage .. Can Someone Test?

DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,068 ★★★★★
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
Ok I ran into something really weird during a war match ... I put 74 whiplash on a rank 3 Thing and it did not kill him. Normally that would kill just about anyone or take a significant chunk off of them but I had to go through 3 momentum cycles because it just seemed like whiplash damage was seriously wrong.

So for a 6R3, his whiplash ability says that at its very basic it deals 1679 after 12 seconds or when it expires right? So does that mean if I had 74 whiplash, then I should have done at least 1679 x 74 in damage?

Doom with 20 whiplash (should have been roughly 33K instead?)

Thing with 14 whiplash (should have been roughly 23K instead?)

I don't know if I've ever really given it that much attention but I could've sworn his damage was much more than this and when Thing literally laughed at me stacking 74 whiplash, I was like wait wth lol

Can someone test their Quicksilver out to see if they notice anything with his whiplash damage?

Comments

• Options

Thing takes less cause he gets physical resistance and whiplash is physical damage

Good guess but I don't know of anything that limits red numbers. That's how you bypass nodes like safeguard etc. Red numbers don't trigger it ... but still .. I've done tests with multiple champs and the numbers don't add up.

But I could just be crazy.
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    There are a couple things which are the cause of what you have noticed.

Doom- each whiplash is an individual event so when they detonate only as many are needed to kill the opponent will occur/display.

Thing- whiplash is physical damage and Thing has increased physical resistance via his rock stacks.
  • Options

There are a couple things which are the cause of what you have noticed.

Doom- each whiplash is an individual event so when they detonate only as many are needed to kill the opponent will occur/display.

Thing- whiplash is physical damage and Thing has increased physical resistance via his rock stacks.

trust me that's the first thing I thought about which is why i tested multiple people .. these were just the times i video lol.

but here's Galan at 21 whiplash expiring. Galan has zero physical resistance .. should it not be 1679 x 21? so roughly 35K in damage?

• Options

each whiplash is an individual event so when they detonate only as many are needed to kill the opponent will occur/display.

circling back after reading .. wow really? so if i stack 99 and only 1 is needed to kill the defender, then they all won't detonate and it'll just detonate one?

i seriously didn't know that .. so i've watched a ton of videos about QS and when he deals the big damage no one has ever mentioned that only this amount expired so the damage could be more or less given how many the game calculated as necessary?
  • Options
    PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    Thing has increased resistance to physical damage plus he's awakened protection will prevent Quicksilver from doing big damage to him
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,109 ★★★★

each whiplash is an individual event so when they detonate only as many are needed to kill the opponent will occur/display.

circling back after reading .. wow really? so if i stack 99 and only 1 is needed to kill the defender, then they all won't detonate and it'll just detonate one?

i seriously didn't know that .. so i've watched a ton of videos about QS and when he deals the big damage no one has ever mentioned that only this amount expired so the damage could be more or less given how many the game calculated as necessary?
    I remember Karatemike and Vega saying that when the amount of whiplash is overkill, the game will only display whatever health the defender has left, instead of displaying the full damage
  • Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    edited January 2023

Thing has increased resistance to physical damage plus he's awakened protection will prevent Quicksilver from doing big damage to him

You’re correct on the physical resistance which will reduce the damage, but secondary damage (red numbers) gets around Thing’s protection. Galan is a top Thing counter because he can drop 150k without triggering protection.
  • Options
    CosmicGuardianCosmicGuardian Posts: 408 ★★★
    So to answer your question around why the damage seemed a lot less on Doom, if has to do with the amount of health the defender has left. I’ve seen this a lot when using Red Magneto. When his shrapnel bleeds from his sp3 expire, the amount of damage shown will be equal to how much health the opponent had left. So if they had 4K health left, but they would’ve dealt 50k damage, the number shown will be 4K. From what I know, Quicksilver’s burst damage works the same way.

As for why whiplash was doing less against Thing, it’s due to his physical resistance from his rock stacks. Quicksilver’s whiplash damage is classified as physical damage, so physical resistance will directly decrease the damage done. The only red damage that is not affected by physical or energy resistance is those that are classified as direct damage.
  • Options
    many many thanks lads ... appreciate the insight and knowledge. i've only recently started using QS so i'm taking all of this in and filing it into my memory banks lol.

kudos.