**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Arena Express Mode

2»

Comments

• PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,656 Guardian

JounaaPee said:

You have to spent 10$ to skip some animations while playing arena. Why not allow this to everyone

Funny that people who spend in general are usually the one's who dont need to play arena that much. This is a feature targeted for F2P players but behind a paywall
    I feel like this feature is actually targeted at the prestige whales to enable them to get higher scores in arena for their time. Even with the cutoff going from 100 to 400, with 7*s coming to the game with their increased arena points, the cutoff is just going to increase and if there is another herc-level champion, then getting the sigil will probably be mandatory if you want to get top 400.

While it is something that would be nice for f2p players, I feel this feature is being marketed towards those who go for the 6* in arena.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    How about we say players who turn on the 'arena express' feature are excempt from any ranked rewards. The same way you can't get a medal for a marathon if someone drives you to the finish line.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Adevati said:

DNA3000 said:

I’ll have to agree, QoL things should be for everyone. This isn’t really a QoL but a bonus “luxury “ I guess.

. If we're not going to sell early access to the top tier stuff, and we're not going to sell QoL game play features, what's left?
    For starters, the same thing most other games do; cosmetic items.

Why Kabam isn’t selling alternate skins for champions (especially with BGs now) is lost on me.

Another thing many games do to generate revenue without disrupting balance, is to offer permanent attribute increase items. These are very minor increases; typically like 1% more damage or something. They don’t affect the balance that much but players have the desire to “max” out at any cost. F2P can get them after 6 months to a year of grinding whereas spenders get them much quicker.

Another source of revenue is the premium pass system which is clearly here to stay.

There are a lot of ways to generate revenue.
    First of all, most of those other games aren't Marvel games, that strictly limit the amount of customization allowed in their games. This is a thing that goes back a long, long ways. I was hearing about it in 2005 from developers. I'm honestly amazed they gave MROC as much rope as they did.

Second, what you monetize is a game cultural thing. Which is to say, some players feel that certain things are fair to monetize and others disagree. Your game attracts the kind of people who generally agree with your monetization flavors and that makes it difficult to change dramatically. Some people think games should *only* monetize cosmetics, so as to not disrupt game balance. Other people think that's idiotic, as no one would spend a lot of money on such useless things. If you monetize cosmetics from the start, you attract the people who think cosmetics are a meaningful thing to monetize. If you don't, you attract players who believe cash should return some in-game tangible benefit, and those people won't buy your cosmetics.

There are lots of individual monetization opportunities, and this game uses many of them. But individually, they can't support the game, which is precisely why the game uses many of them. Each has limits. We can generate a lot more revenue with more premium passes, because those have practical limits. We can create monetization opportunities to offer permanent attribute increases. We call them Relics. But they lean in the direction of gear, which the playerbase of this game has traditionally expressed something between skepticism and outright hatred of, so the devs have been treading relatively lightly there.
    MoeyTehr said:

Absolutely absurd to call something behind a paywall a "quality of life" upgrade.

So the only quality of life improvements that exist in the world are free?
  • NearJrNearJr Posts: 147 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

MoeyTehr said:

Absolutely absurd to call something behind a paywall a "quality of life" upgrade.

If only someone had created an amazing post regarding the importance, difference and perception or charging money in a game, I would link said post.

Also, in my opinion, I haven’t really seen this been a complaint enough to be a QoL change.

You haven't heard people wish that grinding in the arena could go faster?
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Adevati said:

DNA3000 said:

I’ll have to agree, QoL things should be for everyone. This isn’t really a QoL but a bonus “luxury “ I guess.

. If we're not going to sell early access to the top tier stuff, and we're not going to sell QoL game play features, what's left?
    For starters, the same thing most other games do; cosmetic items.

Why Kabam isn’t selling alternate skins for champions (especially with BGs now) is lost on me.

Another thing many games do to generate revenue without disrupting balance, is to offer permanent attribute increase items. These are very minor increases; typically like 1% more damage or something. They don’t affect the balance that much but players have the desire to “max” out at any cost. F2P can get them after 6 months to a year of grinding whereas spenders get them much quicker.

Another source of revenue is the premium pass system which is clearly here to stay.

There are a lot of ways to generate revenue.
    First of all, most of those other games aren't Marvel games, that strictly limit the amount of customization allowed in their games. This is a thing that goes back a long, long ways. I was hearing about it in 2005 from developers. I'm honestly amazed they gave MROC as much rope as they did.

Second, what you monetize is a game cultural thing. Which is to say, some players feel that certain things are fair to monetize and others disagree. Your game attracts the kind of people who generally agree with your monetization flavors and that makes it difficult to change dramatically. Some people think games should *only* monetize cosmetics, so as to not disrupt game balance. Other people think that's idiotic, as no one would spend a lot of money on such useless things. If you monetize cosmetics from the start, you attract the people who think cosmetics are a meaningful thing to monetize. If you don't, you attract players who believe cash should return some in-game tangible benefit, and those people won't buy your cosmetics.

There are lots of individual monetization opportunities, and this game uses many of them. But individually, they can't support the game, which is precisely why the game uses many of them. Each has limits. We can generate a lot more revenue with more premium passes, because those have practical limits. We can create monetization opportunities to offer permanent attribute increases. We call them Relics. But they lean in the direction of gear, which the playerbase of this game has traditionally expressed something between skepticism and outright hatred of, so the devs have been treading relatively lightly there.
    I’m sorry. The thesis that you can only have cosmetic for cash or tangible upgrades for cash but not both is silly and fully disproven. The number one grossing mobile game in the world sells skins for currency which can’t be purchased with real money. I can think of two others I play that do the same. At least one a I know added purchasable skins well after launch.

I don’t buy the Marvel licensing crutch either. Unless Marvel is telling MCOC art team exactly what it needs to look like, they have some freedom for alternative art. While they couldn’t offer skins for every character, there are a few that we will likely never see alternate champions that have a wide array of costumes in the comics. For example, Wolverine has a handful variations of his standard blue and gold outfit. Even if there is some restrictions, I doubt you have a copy of the license agreement to know what freedom the art team does or doesn’t have.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,426 ★★★★
    Odachi said:

DNA3000 said:

MoeyTehr said:

It's always obvious you are stretching to validate your opinion when it's a one line response instead of an essay.

This is one stop closer to putting players behind ads unless they pay. I do spend from time to time, I've not bought the sigil for at least 6 months and have no intention to buy it to unlock an element of the game that adds another level of preventing free to play players struggle.

Whales will buy cavs - and very soon paras, they won't need this at all.
    It's funny how everything's not open to discourse, it's all I'm Right, you're wrong.

Point: non-payers want stuff others pay for

Counterpoint: payers aren't all saps and can always question the value of their purchases. This is one such way to validate continued spending, and perhaps entice new buyers.

If it increases buyrate, it's a success. If it ruffles feathers of a subsection of customers while not moving the needle, it won't be. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.
  • JefechutaJefechuta Posts: 1,204 ★★★★
    I wouldnt be bothered about this being in the Sigil if it wasnt a F2P QoL improvement, since most of the people doing arenas are F2P, so, why give people that will not go to Arenas that much, an Arena's QoL improvement?
    Adevati said:

I’m sorry. The thesis that you can only have cosmetic for cash or tangible upgrades for cash but not both is silly and fully disproven.

Yeah, I first made that case myself in 2005. But I never said that.
  • ThePredator1001ThePredator1001 Posts: 650 ★★★
    This is a ridiculous cash grab. Sigil isn’t really m worth the $10 a month, and instead of revamping the store they take a feature that should just be a quality of life change for everyone and hide it behind a paywall.
  • Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,157 ★★★★

Can Kabam Zero or other mods give some thoughts why those “qol changes” are behind a paywall? Many of us hoped for a positive change across the board for arena.. disappointing

Because Kabam is a for-profit business and wants to make money. There is literally no other reason lol
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
    Hopefully they revamp the milestones too
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,950 ★★★★★

Hopefully they revamp the milestones too

That will be the next update to the sigil
  • Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,830 ★★★★★
    Ok

Not only that kabam launched a “qol” feature which should be totally free for all in the first place, they placed the respective button right next to the auto fill. I accidentally clicked several times on that button which triggers a context Menu.

Oh boy 😕
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,763 ★★★★★
    Doesn't even work and is actually making it even more frustating to play the arena. More than what already was

Doesn't even work and is actually making it even more frustating to play the arena. More than what already was

Can you show me what the “improvement” is? Do you have screenshots or something?
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,763 ★★★★★

Can you show me what the “improvement” is? Do you have screenshots or something?
    From what I seen on youtube, it removes the 3x selectable opponent screen, removes post fight stats screen, and removes post match screens and goes directly to select champions screen.
  • Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 739 ★★★
    edited May 2023
    It is not about money .... it's about sending a message

-Kabam

From what I seen on youtube, it removes the 3x selectable opponent screen, removes post fight stats screen, and removes post match screens and goes directly to select champions screen.
    Just saw it on YT. The offered solution seems very cheap, it’s crazy that it took that long. In this state, I happily take the arena without the express option.