Utilities needed through the game

LologolasLologolas Member Posts: 17
Hi everyone,

I would like to start a thread about the most useful utilities in the game for Uncollected/Cavalier and above content in the game, as I saw a lot of tier list about who are the best champions but not about utilities needed to achieve end game content the easiest.

For example, yeah torch is great, but should I rank him up if I already have good incinerate champions ? The point is to list every needed utility in the game for people who don’t know every content and node yet, so that we can choose wisely on how to expand our rosters ! And yes, I agree that the best champions are the ones you like to play, but here let’s talk about useful abilities !

Comments

• ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,896 ★★★★★
    Well, first of all, there are a ton of different damage types in the game. Not only Physical vs Energy damage on a champions' base attacks, but various damage-over-time (DOT) debuffs/effects.

Some champions that deal these various types of DOTs.

Bleed: Nick Fury, Black Cat, Archangel, Warlock.
    Poison: Archangel, Abomination (Immortal), Scorpion.
    Neurotoxin: Archangel.
    Acid Burns: Abomination (Immortal).
    Incinerate: Bishop, Human Torch, Kitty Pryde, Absorbing Man.
    Shock: Dr. Doom, Nimrod, Guardian, Wiccan.
    Rupture: Tigra, Scorpion, Rintrah, Spot.
    Degeneration: Mr. Negative, Mojo, White Magneto, Kingpin.
    Coldsnap/Frostbite: Iceman, Kate Bishop, Misty Knight.
    Plasma: Wiccan, Silver Centurion.

As for the champions that are immune to the various DOTs (note that asterisks mean that they are 100% resistant to it, which means that they can still take damage from them if faced with, say, 120% potency):

Bleed: All #robots, for starters. Some may interact with Bleed in other ways, but none take any damage from them.
    Poison: Abomination (Immortal)*, Scorpion, Diablo*.
    Neurotoxin: Everyone who are immune to either Bleed or Poisons since these needs to fuse together for Neurotoxins to form.
    Acid Burns: No one is outright immune to it, but no one who is immune to Poison will have any problems fighting Abomination (Immortal).
    Incinerate: Human Torch, Kitty Pryde, Absorbing Man.
    Shock: Dr. Doom, Hulkling, Infamous Iron Man (as long as he has his Armor Up).
    Rupture: Scorpion. Silk seems to counter it as well.
    Degeneration: No one is outright immune but Mr. Negative, Spider-Ham and Knull all have various levels of resistance to it.
    Coldsnap/Frostbite: Iceman, Warlock, Human Torch, Sabretooth.
    Plasma: Similar to Neurotoxins, Plasma is a fusion of Shock and Incinerate. If you're immune to either of those, I don't think a champion can apply Plasmas directly to you.

Obviously there are a lot more champions who are either immune to or inflict these DOTs, but I chose some of the most prominent.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,867 ★★★★★
    Parry projectiles

Projectile/Non-contact attacks are quite common amongst defenders; and usually stop the defender being Parried. Being able to access Parry against opponents like Havok, Domino, Zemo, Stealthy, Ebony Maw and Shuri makes them a lot less tricky to deal with. However it's not a very common ability:
    • Angela - hits really hard, amazing utility to reduce DoT debuffs when Awakened
    • Heimdall - primarily a synergy champion, and worth carrying around for that, but he has this utility, True Sight and Autoblock
    • Proxima Midnight - one of those champs who can access astonishing damage, but rarely can. Also has a really useful ability to reduce the opponents ability Accuracy whilst she's blocking (which she shares with Captain Sam, below)
    • Cull Obsidian - a ramp-up champion who hits hard, this ability and Armour Break are his main bits of utility
    • Captain America Sam Wilson - incredibly utilitarian (as described above) but a bit slow as he's not a hard hitter. Underrated.
    • Peni Parker (with DDHK/Mysterio synergy) - a great defender, and decent power control/damage with a large built-in safety net for beginning players.
    • Guardian - another utility monster, especially when Awakened with high Sig. A lot of his abilities/design overlaps with Captain Sam, but Guardian has better damage.
    • Ronin (in Guard stance) - Ronin has plenty of utility, and damage, but needs some skill to use effectively. I'm pretty sure he's the only non-Tech, non-cosmic champion who has this ability, currently.
    Two more champions to consider would be Elsa Bloodstone and Kate Bishop. Strictly speaking, they can't parry non-contact attacks. However, they can Evade/Stun on well-timed blocks, which can often give you the same openings you need to turn the offensive in your favour.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,803 ★★★★★
    Silver Centurion is all you need.
  • MCOCHazzaMCOCHazza Member Posts: 883 ★★★
    edited July 2023

Parry projectiles

Projectile/Non-contact attacks are quite common amongst defenders; and usually stop the defender being Parried. Being able to access Parry against opponents like Havok, Domino, Zemo, Stealthy, Ebony Maw and Shuri makes them a lot less tricky to deal with. However it's not a very common ability:

• Angela - hits really hard, amazing utility to reduce DoT debuffs when Awakened
    • Heimdall - primarily a synergy champion, and worth carrying around for that, but he has this utility, True Sight and Autoblock
    • Proxima Midnight - one of those champs who can access astonishing damage, but rarely can. Also has a really useful ability to reduce the opponents ability Accuracy whilst she's blocking (which she shares with Captain Sam, below)
    • Cull Obsidian - a ramp-up champion who hits hard, this ability and Armour Break are his main bits of utility
    • Captain America Sam Wilson - incredibly utilitarian (as described above) but a bit slow as he's not a hard hitter. Underrated.
    • Peni Parker (with DDHK/Mysterio synergy) - a great defender, and decent power control/damage with a large built-in safety net for beginning players.
    • Guardian - another utility monster, especially when Awakened with high Sig. A lot of his abilities/design overlaps with Captain Sam, but Guardian has better damage.
    • Ronin (in Guard stance) - Ronin has plenty of utility, and damage, but needs some skill to use effectively. I'm pretty sure he's the only non-Tech, non-cosmic champion who has this ability, currently.
    Two more champions to consider would be Elsa Bloodstone and Kate Bishop. Strictly speaking, they can't parry non-contact attacks. However, they can Evade/Stun on well-timed blocks, which can often give you the same openings you need to turn the offensive in your favour.
    QS can as well, with 600+ momentum :)

drax can as well (with mantis synergy) but he’s almost not worth a mention 💀
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,272 ★★★★★
    I'll be the guy to state the obvious one to get it out of the way. Hercules' immortality
  • KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Member Posts: 948 ★★★
    Crazy how nobody’s mentioning doom when he’s the best fight controller in the game
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,867 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023

Crazy how nobody’s mentioning doom when he’s the best fight controller in the game

Well, that's because he doesn't have any of the utilities mentioned so far.

Once one of us gets round to a comment discussing Power Control, he'll be in there. But that'll be a long comment. I'll try and get to it later, if no one else gets there first...