Options

Fix the Goddamn Battlegrounds Matchmaking

This is ridiculous now. I have lost about 20+ games because I am against someone 2mil+
I am 1.2mil, how in the hell am I meant to have a chance of winning against people like that?
My last 3 matches - PEOPLE WITH LEGEND TITLES - 3MILLION+ rating.
How can this gamemode be 'competitive' if it's only meant for strong accounts?

EITHER FIX THE MATCHMAKING OR MAKE A SEPERATE GAMEMODE WHERE EVERYONE'S CHAMPS ARE EQUAL POWER.

I do not know how you have setup your matchmaking system, but would it not be logical to place people based on their rank (which is what is in place) and rough rating amount. ~ within 500k rating. This way, I'd have more of a chance of winning by competing against other players of a similar rating.

It would look like this:

700,000 <-----(me; 1,200,000)-----> 1,700,000

This is 100% not in place currently - I dread to think what the code is for the matchmaking because whatever it is right now, is very unfair to lower rated accounts.

I SPEAK FOR EVERYONE below 2mil.

Thank you for your time and I'm curious of what Kabam will say to this.

Comments

• Options
    ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★

They won't say anything. That is not how a COMPETITION works. They made changes to Victory Track where you are matched with opponents similar to your roster as long as there is someone looking for a match at the same time as you. If there isn't then you're matched with the next best thing.

In G.C you're matched with anyone in that tier. Roster size matters zero.

You want the same rewards as everyone else playing the game mode, then you're going to face those people as well. I really can't understand why people think they should only face competition that they prefer.

While I agree with your reasoning, you have to put yourself in their shoes. They progress to Platinum in a week / two weeks, then they lose consistently. Logically, there should be some kind of advancing by playing, as it is not a quest you complete and explore, but what incentive do they have to play the mode at that point?
  • Options

They won't say anything. That is not how a COMPETITION works. They made changes to Victory Track where you are matched with opponents similar to your roster as long as there is someone looking for a match at the same time as you. If there isn't then you're matched with the next best thing.

You want the same rewards as everyone else playing the game mode, then you're going to face those people as well. I really can't understand why people think they should only face competition that they prefer.

There are dozens and dozens of threads on this. There are several on the homepage already and you created a new one-
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/346984/battleground-matchmaking#latest

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/347312/battlegrounds-matchmaking-is-broken#latest

Every single one of these threads is filled with people who refuse to believe they shouldn't face anyone stronger than them and they should be gifted the top spot in BGs.

Okay... you're definitely a high rated account. It's so obvious.
    A competition actually, excuse that you might be dumb. It means a FAIR place to compete. How is what I've just said a fair fight?

It's like saying a fist fight between 5 thugs and 1 business man? You call that fair? Or bringing a gun to a fist fight? Is that also fair? Do you just have to suck it up and get on with the fight that you'll definitely lose?
    What an ass hat.
  • Options
    obsidimanobsidiman Posts: 727 ★★★

While I agree with your reasoning, you have to put yourself in their shoes. They progress to Platinum in a week / two weeks, then they lose consistently. Logically, there should be some kind of advancing by playing, as it is not a quest you complete and explore, but what incentive do they have to play the mode at that point?
    So you'd be ok with someone getting to the GC by playing, say, 100 matches and going 0-100 simply because of the sheer number of matches played vs anyone else's numbers?

I mean I run a lot of quests and do a lot of arena. Should I be given a Paragon title or the newest 6* champ just based on my numbers?

Asking respectfully to explain your reasoning.
  • Options

There are dozens and dozens of threads on this. There are several on the homepage already and you created a new one-
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/346984/battleground-matchmaking#latest

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/347312/battlegrounds-matchmaking-is-broken#latest

Every single one of these threads is filled with people who refuse to believe they shouldn't face anyone stronger than them and they should be gifted the top spot in BGs.

Oh.. to further my point. I just looked up your account. 4.2mil rated. Yeah, of course you would disagree being that high rated. At that point, you do not need skill - just need to pull the busted champions to get wins...

Cough cough CGR, HERC, AA, DOOM...etc...
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,074 ★★★★★

I don't agree with the "advancing by playing" because it creates the sandbagging environment. People won't care about decks and just play and advance. It's essentially Kabam saying "here's a participation trophy.

I understand it's frustrating to lose and it's a big part in why I stopped playing last season but that should tell them they need to go and develop their roster further. Explore more of the story content, MEQs or join alliances that are doing AQ/AW and start advancing in that.

I don't have a better suggestion for matchmaking either. I think it's pretty fair as it is right now. I jus think people need to understand more about what the mode is and how it works.
  • Options

By that logic, do you believe someone with a 700k account should be able to get to #1 overall in the leaderboard by simply matching only weak accounts? Because that's what would happen if these people got what they're trying to get.
    Not at all what I meant. The mode should be about competing, but it should also reward people for playing. Having objectives every few days is not enough to keep someone playing.
    If you keep matching with players that can easily decimate you and you don't get diddly-squat for a significant time investment, why would you keep playing?
  • Options
    obsidiman said:

So you'd be ok with someone getting to the GC by playing, say, 100 matches and going 0-100 simply because of the sheer number of matches played vs anyone else's numbers?

I mean I run a lot of quests and do a lot of arena. Should I be given a Paragon title or the newest 6* champ just based on my numbers?

Dude.. like how is what you've said the same as him? We're saying that the competitive mode should be a fair?

Why are you on about arena and paragon title?

Oh I made sure to.. look up your profile as well. Same as the other idiot - 4.6mil rated. LMAO

Talk more asshat
  • Options

I don't agree with the "advancing by playing" because it creates the sandbagging environment. People won't care about decks and just play and advance. It's essentially Kabam saying "here's a participation trophy.

I understand it's frustrating to lose and it's a big part in why I stopped playing last season but that should tell them they need to go and develop their roster further. Explore more of the story content, MEQs or join alliances that are doing AQ/AW and start advancing in that.

I don't have a better suggestion for matchmaking either. I think it's pretty fair as it is right now. I jus think people need to understand more about what the mode is and how it works.
    Fair enough, I didn't claim to have a solution either. I'm just advocating for a little understanding when people come to the forums to vent their frustrations.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,829 ★★★★★

A competition actually, excuse that you might be dumb. It means a FAIR place to compete. How is what I've just said a fair fight?

It's like saying a fist fight between 5 thugs and 1 business man? You call that fair? Or bringing a gun to a fist fight? Is that also fair? Do you just have to suck it up and get on with the fight that you'll definitely lose?
    What an ass hat.
    Most competitions require some kind of qualification to compete, no one was being rude to you, they just explained it. Truth is your account is not strong enough to compete or get pass Plat2.
    Your example is terrible, 5 thugs vs 1 business man? Why 5 lol?
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 690 ★★★★

Oh.. to further my point. I just looked up your account. 4.2mil rated. Yeah, of course you would disagree being that high rated. At that point, you do not need skill - just need to pull the busted champions to get wins...

When you get to that level, I wonder if your view will change. Trust me, you need skill even when you have a 4M roster, especially when you constantly face rosters of that size as well.

A 1.2M account facing a 2M account isn't the end of the world. 2M accounts normally have to face 3-4M accounts with the latest champs from diamond up. Adapt and progress is what you need to do, not just complain about an issue that has been clearly addressed so many times
  • Options

What an ass hat.

This is the NCAA Men's basketball tournament bracket. This is essentially G.C. for BGs. The regular season is V.C.. If you look at the top left hand corner, you have (1)Gonzaga vs (18)Georgia St. In the bottom left hand corner, you have (2)Kentucky vs (15)St. Peters. These teams are all competing for the same rewards. This is a fair competition because they earned their way to those spots.

Do you think Georgia is complaining they have the face a Number 1 seed and that they lost and they should only be matched with teams similar to them but still have the same change as Gonzaga to win the championship?

There is nothing in BGs that was ever stated that you are "owed" a fair fight. You are competing against people who are tryin to get to where you're try to get to. Does it suck to lose? Yes. Will it always be that way? No.

Instead of focusing all this negative energy into something you're clearly wrong about, go improve your roster. Get some other things done in the game and come back and try again. Stop trying to blame the system for your shortcomings.
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,047 ★★★★★

By that logic, do you believe someone with a 700k account should be able to get to #1 overall in the leaderboard by simply matching only weak accounts? Because that's what would happen if these people got what they're trying to get.
    Not at all what I meant. The mode should be about competing, but it should also reward people for playing. Having objectives every few days is not enough to keep someone playing.
    If you keep matching with players that can easily decimate you and you don't get diddly-squat for a significant time investment, why would you keep playing?
    that's how everything in the game works, you use the other game modes to progress till you're ready for this one. Eventually as seasons go on, you'll be able to place higher and higher because your account keeps growing.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,072 ★★★★★

What an ass hat.

This is the NCAA Men's basketball tournament bracket. This is essentially G.C. for BGs. The regular season is V.C.. If you look at the top left hand corner, you have (1)Gonzaga vs (18)Georgia St. In the bottom left hand corner, you have (2)Kentucky vs (15)St. Peters. These teams are all competing for the same rewards. This is a fair competition because they earned their way to those spots.

Do you think Georgia is complaining they have the face a Number 1 seed and that they lost and they should only be matched with teams similar to them but still have the same change as Gonzaga to win the championship?

There is nothing in BGs that was ever stated that you are "owed" a fair fight. You are competing against people who are tryin to get to where you're try to get to. Does it suck to lose? Yes. Will it always be that way? No.

Instead of focusing all this negative energy into something you're clearly wrong about, go improve your roster. Get some other things done in the game and come back and try again. Stop trying to blame the system for your shortcomings.
    I dont know if you were backing up my joke intentionally or this was just pure coincidence but either way this is
    1. very funny and
    2. even with this example op doesn't have the brainpower to comprehend how competition works
  • Options
    @CaseOpenedPLK my response wasn't to your comment. It was simply asking how a participation based advancement system would work? Arena and quests were an analogy. No one would be ok with me receiving a Paragon title just from running a bunch of daily quests of receiving a featured 6* champ just because I have a high PvP number.

For the record my 4.6 million account started in Bronze this season due to a poor showing last season. Yup, I have the "busted" champs you mentioned but that doesn't guarantee me wins. I've lost matches using all those champions.

I get your frustrated because losing sucks. However I don't think base hero rating is a good line of demarcation. There are people in my alliance with lower BHR than myself but have stronger champs.
  • Options

What an ass hat.

Yes it will be the same always, he is a business man fighting 5 thugs, maybe 6 or 7 in the future
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,266 ★★★★★
    edited September 2023
    I hate sports references. Lmao. Oh well.

OP, I'm sensitive to your concerns, but it might help you to communicate them if you refrain from calling people names and putting them down.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,072 ★★★★★

OP, I'm sensitive to your concerns, but it might help you to communicate them if you refrain from calling people names and putting them down.

It's unfortunately one of the easiest things to point to that says "this is how competition works" and have people understand it which is why i think we use it so often
  • Options
    BeeweeBeewee Posts: 533 ★★★★
    Eventually you'll have to match people with better rosters than you. This isn’t a game mode where you match rosters only compatible to yours. Otherwise people would have 0 incentive to rank champs for bgs and no one wants that. If you really are at 1.2mil. Consider doing some of the content that I know you have left to get stronger before jumping into the deep end again.
  • Options

It's actually much harder for someone like me with my deck. I'm only in gold 2 right now and most of my competition has mostly R5's and R2 6 and 7*'s. Herc isn't even a great option for this meta and neither is Doom except defense. I don't have AA or CGR in my deck currently. My staple attackers are BWDO(6* R5), Symbiote Supreme(6* R4), Gambit(7* R2) and Gamora (7* R1).

So you can try and peg me as whatever you want but it's not sunshine and roses for me either.
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

What an ass hat.

I dont know if you were backing up my joke intentionally or this was just pure coincidence but either way this is
    1. very funny and
    2. even with this example op doesn't have the brainpower to comprehend how competition works
    I was actually writing the response when you posted so it was a complete coincidence.
  • Options
    Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    It’s how any and every competitive event works… the further you go/or higher up the ladder the harder it becomes.

The issue is no created by current system.. it was the expectation set in previous seasons as smaller accounts could bypass bigger accounts and hit GC.

The expectation has clouded all logic now it works more normally
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    IF you lose 20 in a row then you don't belong in the tier that Kabam artificially put you in.
  • Options
    @CaseOpenedPLK

Since I'm a glutton to be insulted...
    What would be a fair matchmaking set up? As much as you won't believe me when I say it, I'm all for a fair competitive mode. However, I don't believe fair is "I don't ever want to be matched with an account that I will lose to" or "I want to move up without doing the work".

There's always going to be weaker accounts and stronger accounts. And there are no guarantees that weaker accounts will always lose and strong accounts will always win. Additionally, there aren't unlimited accounts out there and accounts move out of brackets and into new ones all the time.
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

It's unfortunately one of the easiest things to point to that says "this is how competition works" and have people understand it which is why i think we use it so often
    It's the easiest answer and one that should be obvious, sorry if the world is not perfect, and the opposing team won't chant and sing "who do we appreciate" after beating you like the do in little leagues, give you a participation trophy and share a healthy snack after the match.
    And before someone says I am being an ass, I am not the one who made the Loki emote to laugh at the opponent after winning.
  • Options

obsidiman said:

Dude.. like how is what you've said the same as him? We're saying that the competitive mode should be a fair?

Oh I made sure to.. look up your profile as well. Same as the other idiot - 4.6mil rated. LMAO

Talk more asshat
    Account rating is relevant how?...
    You do know that from a 4 mill rated account, about 2-3 mill comes from 1-4* champs right?
    I could easily be at 5+ million but I only have about 1/4 of my 1-5*'s ranked to max. I've 7 7*s unleveled 53 6*'s unleveled etc..
  • Options

obsidiman said:

Talk more asshat
    Account rating is relevant how?...
    You do know that from a 4 mill rated account, about 2-3 mill comes from 1-4* champs right?
    I could easily be at 5+ million but I only have about 1/4 of my 1-5*'s ranked to max. I've 7 7*s unleveled 53 6*'s unleveled etc..
    I know a few 2.5 mill accounts that started later in the game and are so much better than my 4.8 mill account 🤣