The pay to win is getting out of control

This game has become pay to win for newer players. 3 years ago, getting a 6* as an uncollected player was nigh impossible. But now, new players can get 7*s in exchange for their credit cards. For example? I logged into an alt account i made a couple years ago, where I am lvl 28 or so and havent touched act 5. I went to the caps commisary and voila, the loyalty selector says "tailored to your story progression" but still gives the same option as for paragon.

Buying all the loyalty unit deals (which were supposed to be for gold) gives 1.8 million loyalty. Buying all the 6*/5* shards gives 165000 shards. That is enough for exactly 11 featured 5 or 6 stars giving (big surprise) one 6 or 7 star crystal in the shop.

These offers are obviously tailored for new players with bank accounts. Give a couple hundred and you skip months of effort and work. This used to be a game of skill. I understand that whales are needed to make sure fish can swim but this is getting out of hand. Uncollected players have rank 5 6*s and multiple 7*s. The power balance that progression levels brought mean nothing anymore.

Comments

• AllnamesbetakenAllnamesbetaken Member Posts: 118
    ahmynuts said:

Very interesting time to post this when we just got the biggest announcement of the return of playing the game for rewards yesterday. You should have posted this on July 4th

Wasnt able to make it to the livestream so im not in the loop in terms of future roadmaps, so feel free to enlighten me. Im just commenting on the state of the game now and how everything is overprices but available to all. I doubt things will get much better. I have to give kabam credit for the caps solo objectives, that was done really well. It accelerated account progress, but didnt give anyone anything that they couldnt have gotten from for example, the bg store otherwise.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Member Posts: 1,539 ★★★★

This used to be a game of skill.

For as long as there were unit deals offered for cash, this has never been a game of skill. In 2016 folks with cash could get there faster, have more chances at good champs, revive and thrive in far less time than grinders, and there would be no difference in "skill," just patience and willingness to spend.

Today you just get way more bang for your buck. Relatively.

You're either here to get the rewards you want through any means at your disposal, or you're here because you enjoy casual gaming with enjoyable ip. The middle ground is where the misery lives.
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Member Posts: 1,531 ★★★★★
    Even though this is a dumb thread that is 100% incorrect. However a ftp player can compete with 99% of the player base. The only places you can't compete is in the highest level of bgs where the best players spend, and aq rank rewards which is pretty much solely pay for top 5 rewards. Anything else from mysterium, to masters war, to top 30 aq has many ftp.
  • Omega_RunnerOmega_Runner Member Posts: 143 ★★
    I am telling for final time, no game based on resource management and item to purchase will ever be a skill based game, period.
    If you want a skill based game you can move to many other games available where if you have skill you can shine from day 1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,065 ★★★★★
    That's great, the faster new players catch us the better it is for everyone.
    Imagine being stuck on 5.2 masochism, bane nodes with your 4* for weeks? 😭
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KTPrimalKTPrimal Member Posts: 121
    This game has always been f2p friendly. Maybe too much. Spending money barely puts you ahead of those who don't.
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Member Posts: 1,531 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

No it's not. When new players rush through old content with 6* Hercules when we did it with really bad 4* champs.... before it was nerfed to the ground, they develop zero skill. Then when they do get to current endgame they cry about it being too hard and bg being unfair and all kinds of other non existent things because they never developed any skill.
    A lot of you seemed to have missed the point. The problem is not that spending puts you ahead, that is only natural. Im not complaining that it isnt a skill based game, no gacha type game truly is.

The problem is in the offers themselves. Many of you pointed out that only paragons can choose the 7* crystal. However, cavaliers can, for instance, get a 4 to 5 rank up gem. Something that would otherwise not be available to them for a long time.

Having played the game since the beginning, i remember when deals accelareted progress instead of gifting it. Sure 6*s are much more common, but i dont see that as a reason for newer players to be able to breeze through 90% of story content buy spending a couple hundred. What used to be overly challenging has become much too easy. Beating the collecter, for instance, should be rewarding.

Perhaps champion selectors and the such have taken the place of whaling for revives in terms of helping accounts but it just seems cheap. The lines between story progression lvls are quite blurred and buying 6*s helps players in the short run but hurts them in the long run, they dont learn to carefully read nodes, plan, learn the proper skills and so on. Guess thats a way to ensure they keep paying in the future.

All in all, i really enjoy the game and hope you guys do too, nothing wrong if you guys disagree with my opinion, just thought id put it out there.

PT_99 said:

No it's not. When new players rush through old content with 6* Hercules when we did it with really bad 4* champs.... before it was nerfed to the ground, they develop zero skill. Then when they do get to current endgame they cry about it being too hard and bg being unfair and all kinds of other non existent things because they never developed any skill.
    Exactly what im talking about. You can buy progress but not game knowledge. I beat the collecter with a 4* r3 quake with the bw synergy for Ability Accuracy. It was extremely hard, but it felt insanely rewarding. Not saying everyone should struggle that much, but theres a line. Many ppl say ghost was a cheat code, but it still took skill, making mistakes had consequences. Now you can take your shiny 6* r27 herc into act 5 and play on auto.
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Member Posts: 4,131 ★★★★★
    Just for some perspective from my part:

I played Mcoc originally way back when. I stopped playing when nightcrawler was a champ in the arena, and act 4 Maestro was the finish line (I think). I quit for quite some time, and came back 2.5 years ago. It was during the X-mas gifting event, and not knowing all that changed, I traded with an alliance that I was in. I ended up getting a 6* Domino, and found out that I could now progress, instead of coming back for just a few days, that 6* helped me keep going, even if I didn’t have the skills.

Tl;dr - got a 6* domino after a long break which kept me playing