What do you think if a team of esport and Mcoc enthusiasts tries to create e-sports on this game ?

Give your opinion !

Comments

• LokxLokx Member Posts: 1,235 ★★★★
    Even with bigger companies, like riot gaming, respawn or blizzard, esport is hard to manage and unprofitable most times. I think with a game like mcoc just doesn’t have the environment or enthusiasm to sustain a esport team.
  • SpaceflavourSpaceflavour Member Posts: 11
    I think it's an incredibly cool idea but the execution would be almost impossible IMO. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

The majority of esports are team based, with the only one off the top of my head that is single player in some capacity being FIFA. I personally watch a lot of call of duty league and while it's poorly managed by Activision it's still an enjoyable experience. With MCOC as an esport, players individually would have to play for teams/be signed to one unless you can create something that has multiple people playing for the same team. Or they play for themselves and ignore that entirely. Would existing esports orgs sign just one player? I'm not sure they would. Especially in an esport that doesn't exist yet.

The two modes of gameplay you could use (without creating something entirely new) would be Battlegrounds or Alliance War. Battlegrounds is a direct 1v1 mode, so would you have a team of 4 players each individually 1v1 another team of 4 players? Or just round robins into a double elimination bracket of single players only? Or something else entirely? Would you do Alliance War? Each esports org could have an in-game alliance that has X number of members contracted to them, playing an exclusive AW style mode between however many teams there are. Or have it all player managed with no esports orgs involved (but this gets quite difficult especially if interpersonal drama starts to arise).

Furthermore as far as I'm aware (but I'm happy to be corrected) all esports are licensed to the body that runs them if money is involved. So not only would Kabam have to conduct all operations and run tournaments for money themselves, but Marvel would also have to approve it. That is unless it's not a "professional" league, i.e. no one is salaried. But then it would be single players only and no esports orgs involved, leaving the only money to be won as part of a tournament prize pool. This would be a solution to my first point of players signing for teams individually as they would just compete for themselves under their own names. But then it would not really be able to grow as an esport because it's not something you can make a career out of. Additionally, if large sums of money start being thrown around as prize money in tournaments not sanctioned by Kabam, they can just shut it down completely. So I think Kabam should be involved in running the esport to some degree.

Another thing to consider is microtransactions, because I can't think of an existing esport where a microtransaction will give you an advantage (although call of duty league has had this happen before by mistake before reverting it). Buying an early access bundle for a champion that will synergise incredibly with a new meta would effectively force a purchase to remain competitive (which may cause complications), although you can argue if you're good enough then you can utilise what you already have to great effect.

I thought Vega's recently hosted Battlegrounds championship match was brilliant - it ran smoothly (as a successful esport should) with good casting by people who understand the game thoroughly. But expanding this whilst running it in this style would either take a very long time to individually stream matches one after the other, or you would have many streams each showcasing a different match. I think the latter is better personally but there are pros and cons to both.

Long post I know, but was just rambling about my different ideas whether they are logical or not. There are a plethora of avenues for discussion so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. Would be interesting to talk more about this.
  • SpaceflavourSpaceflavour Member Posts: 11
    Lokx said:

Even with bigger companies, like riot gaming, respawn or blizzard, esport is hard to manage and unprofitable most times. I think with a game like mcoc just doesn’t have the environment or enthusiasm to sustain a esport team.

I agree. The majority of most games' playerbases are casual and aren't even aware of their games esport (or simply don't care for it). Add in the fact without putting an abundance of ads into either streams or the game itself, financially it would just be lighting money on fire.
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Member Posts: 75
    edited August 29
    Esport/ or any sport has to be measurable and predictable and fair for it to be successful.
    The RNG nature of AI interactions and not having direct player to player game play makes this impossible for MCOC.
    The very reason it is a successful mobile game precludes it becoming a esport game.

Battlegrounds is as close as it can be but still won't graduate to become serious esport due to not having teams and coordination.
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 1,923 ★★★★
    With the way MCOC's AI currently is, an MCOC esports tournament would just be unfair, as the AI's behavior is completely RNG based. In order to have a successful MCOC esports scene, the game would need to implement some sort of real-time PvP function, where players could directly battle each other, as opposed to battling against an AI
  • BeeweeBeewee Member Posts: 551 ★★★★

With the way MCOC's AI currently is, an MCOC esports tournament would just be unfair, as the AI's behavior is completely RNG based. In order to have a successful MCOC esports scene, the game would need to implement some sort of real-time PvP function, where players could directly battle each other, as opposed to battling against an AI

Wouldn’t work as the gameplay would be hyper defensive. Basically would need to be an entirely different game
  • Sir_LorkenSir_Lorken Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! Please note that the project has already been launched. We are going to start the second edition of the tournaments. We had discussions with Kabam on the subject. The project is launched in the French community but is open to everyone. Have a nice day everyone!