Options

GAME IS DOWN [RESOLVED]

1252628303141

Comments

  • Options
    NikoBravoNikoBravo Posts: 447 ★★★
    Do I need to set my alarm to have enough time to complete AQ in the morning?
  • Options
    NamelezNamelez Posts: 992 ★★★
    @Ad0ra_ are u seriously the OG ? That's pretty cool LoL !
  • Options
    ctp1223ctp1223 Posts: 290
    @Ad0ra_ do you know Gunther
  • Options
    Wakandas_FinestWakandas_Finest Posts: 830 ★★★★
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    Arrsss wrote: »
    Any chance you can change the help button from 4 to 10, or make a help all button? This would make us all happy.
    You’re working on the game anyways.

    Help All would KILL the game. We're never going to implement that, everything would implode. Sorry!
    If I’m not mistake originally we had a help all button when alliances were first introduced and it did kill the game hence the help 4
  • Options
    Drummer16Drummer16 Posts: 324 ★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    I am a Senior Software Architect of 12 years...can you guys hire me? This is sad because I can get AWS or GCP support on the phone in the matter of a few minutes at my job. If GCP is down, then you guys are going to get quite a big reimbursement, so spread the love.

    What's strange is that you guys are blaming Google, when they have no indication of a service disruption today: https://status.cloud.google.com/

    so what's the prob?

    The GCP status board only lists outages and critical disruptions. It does not list functional problems that are workload-specific.

    A while back I had an issue with an EC2 hosted cluster. The client was getting bursts of low IOPS to Windows guests for a long time. This caused an invisible, unreported, zero event log occurrence of volume shadow snapshot block clearing backlog to occur, which I can't even find articles about anyone ever troubleshooting. This caused all volume management to stall, which meant no VSS anything, no disk management anything, nada, zip, zilch. Touching anything involving volume management would hang the volume management services and require a reboot, which did not fix the underlying problem. We only figured out the problem when we cloned the instances and left them idle during troubleshooting, and after two *days* the idle clones automagically fixed themselves when not under load. No one can explain to me what can take that long to automatically resolve.

    The world is a complicated place.

    Yea, but that's a flaw with the infrastructure's architecture you designed, not the provider like they are blaming. You should have had a failover cluster in that situation, and you would have had time to figure out the problem.

    This game has been plagued by long outages and scaling issues for years, and it's not that hard to build a redundant, scalable architecture at all levels. Hell, they make enough money in a week to solve this problem. That's the beauty of AWS and GCP. Sure, they'll have to pay more for the redundancy, but you don't have to deal with this BS all the time.

    Yes and no. Yes, ultimately the responsibility is with the original architecture designers. But those guys might be long gone and once you have a flawed design, organically growing it over time tends to make it more vulnerable to problems, and there's no longer any actual human being to directly blame.

    I've designed resilient systems for a long time, and long enough to be comfortable saying almost no one is any good at it. I don't know why, all I know is if you're not the CTO of Netflix you're probably doing something dumb. But that's a separate issue from how hard it is to fix an issue once you have it.

    The idea that you just need two and you'll be fine is a common thought in the industry. It is wrong. If redundancy has never bit you in the butt before, consider yourself lucky. But I don't think the thread will survive a debate about the proper implementation of cluster quorum.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    I am a Senior Software Architect of 12 years...can you guys hire me? This is sad because I can get AWS or GCP support on the phone in the matter of a few minutes at my job. If GCP is down, then you guys are going to get quite a big reimbursement, so spread the love.

    What's strange is that you guys are blaming Google, when they have no indication of a service disruption today: https://status.cloud.google.com/

    so what's the prob?

    The GCP status board only lists outages and critical disruptions. It does not list functional problems that are workload-specific.

    A while back I had an issue with an EC2 hosted cluster. The client was getting bursts of low IOPS to Windows guests for a long time. This caused an invisible, unreported, zero event log occurrence of volume shadow snapshot block clearing backlog to occur, which I can't even find articles about anyone ever troubleshooting. This caused all volume management to stall, which meant no VSS anything, no disk management anything, nada, zip, zilch. Touching anything involving volume management would hang the volume management services and require a reboot, which did not fix the underlying problem. We only figured out the problem when we cloned the instances and left them idle during troubleshooting, and after two *days* the idle clones automagically fixed themselves when not under load. No one can explain to me what can take that long to automatically resolve.

    The world is a complicated place.

    Yea, but that's a flaw with the infrastructure's architecture you designed, not the provider like they are blaming. You should have had a failover cluster in that situation, and you would have had time to figure out the problem.

    This game has been plagued by long outages and scaling issues for years, and it's not that hard to build a redundant, scalable architecture at all levels. Hell, they make enough money in a week to solve this problem. That's the beauty of AWS and GCP. Sure, they'll have to pay more for the redundancy, but you don't have to deal with this BS all the time.

    Yes and no. Yes, ultimately the responsibility is with the original architecture designers. But those guys might be long gone and once you have a flawed design, organically growing it over time tends to make it more vulnerable to problems, and there's no longer any actual human being to directly blame.

    I've designed resilient systems for a long time, and long enough to be comfortable saying almost no one is any good at it. I don't know why, all I know is if you're not the CTO of Netflix you're probably doing something dumb. But that's a separate issue from how hard it is to fix an issue once you have it.

    The idea that you just need two and you'll be fine is a common thought in the industry. It is wrong. If redundancy has never bit you in the butt before, consider yourself lucky. But I don't think the thread will survive a debate about the proper implementation of cluster quorum.

    Dude, I have been in the industry for 12 years as it evolved. My current employers has to maintain 99.9999% uptime to our clients or else we have to reimburse them a huge amount. I do know that legacy design is hard to get rid of once it's been built out, but there is no excuse with this much time having available. Companies often neglect infrastructure when they are busy building out new features and code to add value to their products, and we know Kabam isn't reinventing what was handed to them. You would think stability would be a huge priority in that case.

    Netmarble is struggling with the same issues since they purchased Kabam. With the tools out there today (docker, fargate, ELB, multi-region) it IS that easy. You are describing problems with single EC2 instances when that is outdated thinking. We just redesigned our outdated architecture and it took 2 weeks with 2 people working on it to incorporate solutions for these exact problems, and we even improved it so that it is using terraform so that we can easily plan changes to the infrastructure and apply them using code. And, we added monitoring and observability to replace outdated event logs and dashboards.

    And yes, you can learn from companies like netflix who may experience an outage once or twice a year (and i use them more than MCOC and never have seen one). They actually learn from their mistakes and post the details for all to learn from: https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/lessons-netflix-learned-from-the-aws-outage-deefe5fd0c04
  • Options
    @NikoBravo what's really funny, this whole situation inspired me to watch Fight Club, lol. I'm leaning towards Tyler Durden and Project Mayham blowing up Google's servers.
  • Options
    BillgetaBillgeta Posts: 32
    OG.....what?
  • Options
    Romo790Romo790 Posts: 139
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    Namelez wrote: »
    @Ad0ra_ who's ur favorite champ in the game ?

    Quake! I think. I hate the idea of answering this question because I'm always worried people are going to yell at me for making a horrible choice. Hah.

    Fell in love with quake on agents of shield and was stoked to see her added to the game. Would have to agree with you she is my favorite character in game as well. Wolverine is right next to her tho. Grew up watching the 90's x-men series which was amazing
  • Options
    NamelezNamelez Posts: 992 ★★★
    Any idea when the servers are coming back up ? Kinda burnt out on Call Of Duty... But if comes down to it I may pop that in and play it while I wait LoL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724 ★★★★
    Ad0ra and Mike what champions would you like to see added to the game? I’m waiting on Silver Surfer and Apocalypse.

    Hrrrrm. I would love 90's Cartoon Storm. Squirrel Girl would be rad. Jubilee! Shuri from Black Panther. Valkyrie from Thor.
  • Options
    FrankCYoungFrankCYoung Posts: 255 ★★
    what about the blob?
  • Options
    FrankCYoungFrankCYoung Posts: 255 ★★
    Or forge
  • Options
    Ashok1504Ashok1504 Posts: 40
    Well, There should at least be a single button to ask for help in arena instead of asking for help by tapping every single champ every single time cause it's quite time consuming. if it was a single button for like ask help for 3 maybe that would be awesome. ┐(︶▽︶)┌
  • Options
    Vivek_786Vivek_786 Posts: 217
    Namelez wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike that's a tough call for me lol I LOVE Ghost Rider I wanted him in the game for months and when he was released i flipped out lol ! But I do love Magik she was the first champ I ever awakened.. When we got the Generic Gems after Scarlett and Thor got nerfed.. So I'm split now as to if I want to r5 a 5* GR or Magik... Imo GR has best Regen in the game but Magik has best power control

    That's a hard one. Magik was my first 5/50, and she helped me go so far when I needed her, and I still use her a lot! My 5-Star Magik is not awakened, but her Power Lock on Sp2 is still one of my go to mechanics in game for when I'm having trouble with an Opponent that has strong special attacks, and was a main stay of my AW attack team for a long time.

    That means you are there in some allaince?
  • Options
    FrankCYoungFrankCYoung Posts: 255 ★★
    You know what would be cool? How about some marvel zombie characters.
  • Options
    Wakandas_FinestWakandas_Finest Posts: 830 ★★★★
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    Ad0ra and Mike what champions would you like to see added to the game? I’m waiting on Silver Surfer and Apocalypse.

    Hrrrrm. I would love 90's Cartoon Storm. Squirrel Girl would be rad. Jubilee! Shuri from Black Panther. Valkyrie from Thor.

    Hmm starting to see a bias against the men of marvel tsk tsk

  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,308 ★★★★★
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    Ad0ra and Mike what champions would you like to see added to the game? I’m waiting on Silver Surfer and Apocalypse.

    Hrrrrm. I would love 90's Cartoon Storm. Squirrel Girl would be rad. Jubilee! Shuri from Black Panther. Valkyrie from Thor.

    Jubilee is a definite yes for me.
  • Options
    Kade7175Kade7175 Posts: 304 ★★
    Infinity war thor would be my top pick for new character. Dude is a monster.
  • Options
    NikoBravoNikoBravo Posts: 447 ★★★
    I need Omega Red in this game!
  • Options
    Clobberin_TimeClobberin_Time Posts: 89
    I find it awesome that you guys have taken time out of (What I presume to be) your long weekend! Awesome that you guys could stay through our trying times! BTW, any update on expanding the Content Creator program to non-Youtubers such as fan pages and bots? You guys made a comment a while back during the original announcement, but don’t know if that’s still a thing in development.
  • Options
    MonasouMonasou Posts: 143
    You know what would be cool? How about some marvel zombie characters.

    maybe something to think about around Halloween?
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,308 ★★★★★
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    I find it somewhat disrespectful that you guys only choose the fun off-topic posts to respond to when people ask legitimate questions like the guy on the last page asking about how Domino's sp2 works.

    I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't know how much you get paid or if you even make OT for this. Maybe, you hate that you have to be there on Friday night and want to turn it into fun social hour where people suck up to you for ego stroking. Honestly, I don't care, but I mean you have the time to at least answer some people's questions.

    You can have fun AND be productive. Otherwise, why not just go home and post updates when the devs actually doing the work email you telling you status updates?

    We've replied to a lot of on topic posts. And DNA replied to you pretty thoroughly regarding some of your server questions. Frankly, just because you would like more technical details does not always mean that we can provide them to you.

    A lot of other people are really enjoying the dialogue in here and I'm sorry if you're not, but we aren't going to stop because one person would prefer a different communication style.
    Ad0ra_ wrote: »
    hey Just a quick question, are the servers like from 1999? Because 1999 called and they want them back.

    It does kind of feel like it tonight, doesn't it? <sad trombone song>

    It really sucks.

    Maybe the servers are normal right now except we all have 1999 internet, hold on, "Mom get off the phone!"

    Oh man, I remember those days. The noise that dialup made is burned into my brain.

    God, I remember that sound. Did a course through Dial-Up. I thought I was so cool for being connected. Lol.
  • Options
    DarchonDarchon Posts: 16
    I’m shocked the most OBVIOUS...

    Why not Cloak and Dagger to support the new Freeform/Hulu series?

    Or Jessica Jones?

    We have two Iron Fists for crying out loud.
  • Options
    FrankCYoungFrankCYoung Posts: 255 ★★
    Love the communication keep it up...it’s like a game in itself.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,837 Guardian
    Drummer16 wrote: »
    You are describing problems with single EC2 instances when that is outdated thinking.

    Ha ha ha ha no. At this point, the only option to continue this particular conversation exceeds even the loose parameters of this thread.
  • Options
    mdsubmdsub Posts: 180
    Thanks @adora & @Kabam Miike for the fun discussion. I've got to get to bed it's 2:30AM on the East Coast & I've got work in the morning.... hopefully the game will be up then. Good night everyone 🍺🍻🥃🍹🍸🍷🌛
  • Options
    NamelezNamelez Posts: 992 ★★★
    Has anybody ever played a mini golf game called... "Four!" I believe that's the name... PlayStation 2 ?
This discussion has been closed.