Downtime Compensation [Merged Threads]

11617182022

Comments

  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 16,832
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 16,832
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.

    It is. Kabam collect data on everything, including who used a Pym disk. They know what you spend your units on, just ask support whether you bought a premium crystal yesterday. They can check your account purchase history so saying they can’t is wrong or lying.

    They are perfectly able to see who bought and spent what and they are perfectly able to reimburse that amount.

    It quite obviously did affect people differently, which is what kabam and you have in common. You don’t understand.

    You know how some people sleep at different times around the world? Yeah, that’s how it affects people differently and it’s naive to think it affects everyone the same just because it happens at the same time.

    You expect them to comb hundreds of thousands of Accounts and return everything people spent on an Arena? Dude. Let that sink in.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 2,857
    edited July 2018
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.

    It is. Kabam collect data on everything, including who used a Pym disk. They know what you spend your units on, just ask support whether you bought a premium crystal yesterday. They can check your account purchase history so saying they can’t is wrong or lying.

    They are perfectly able to see who bought and spent what and they are perfectly able to reimburse that amount.

    It quite obviously did affect people differently, which is what kabam and you have in common. You don’t understand.

    You know how some people sleep at different times around the world? Yeah, that’s how it affects people differently and it’s naive to think it affects everyone the same just because it happens at the same time.

    You expect them to comb hundreds of thousands of Accounts and return everything people spent on an Arena? Dude. Let that sink in.

    They did it with willpower. I bet more people had willpower than spent in arena.

    Besides, you could say that about any part of compensation.

    You expect them to comb thousands of accounts and return... (fill in the blank)
    -all AQ costs
    -all Pym canisters
    -AQ crystals for the maps they attempted
  • Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 268
    edited July 2018
    “It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.”

    Why in the world would it not be possible for them to check the users who did the first grind and how many units or boosts they used? It might take some time, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they able to see all of what we do in our account? Is this not a point of storage on servers? Besides that, coming to a compromise and giving at least SOME of these back in a set amount to everyone who did that grind wouldn’t kill them either, especially if those users were turning right around and doing it again for the rerun. Hell, make specific unit/boost items for that one arena - they did it before with dungeons, i wouldn’t think it beyond a coding capability to make more targeted compensation instead of giving some weak overall rewards without even acknowledging resources were spent by people grinding in the millions and millions. It’s pretty common sense that anyone over a certain amount used some kind of resource to attain their initial scores.

    And again man, you keep making these statements over and over and getting flagged because you’re just repeating yourself. We get it, you think it’s fair. Not shocking or groundbreaking from your history, and also at the end of the day your opinion. It’s also not in the majority of opinions being expressed on any forum or sub or social media available, yet you continue to say it like it’s fact. I see this a lot in your posts and wonder why you keep trying when it’s clearly not changing anyone’s minds. Let people discuss a topic without you commenting every other reply, this is the whole point of the forum - to get a variety of opinions, yet all anyone sees on here is you goading people and antagonizing. And yes, that is the word for it. You have even said multiple posts the last few days that the comment is your last on the subject and then you keep going. It is possible to just let it go, and let others be heard without having someone derail every thread.



  • LMAO
  • Fredhorst23Fredhorst23 Posts: 410
    Gwendoline wrote: »
    You referenced yourself 9 times in that post gw.

    I hate that I can't press both agree and lol.

    I hate that he removed his own post to spoil my joke.
  • GwendolineGwendoline Posts: 945
    Gwendoline wrote: »
    You referenced yourself 9 times in that post gw.

    I hate that I can't press both agree and lol.

    I hate that he removed his own post to spoil my joke.

    Did he? Can he? Did he edit it or completely remove? It was a funny joke.
  • ILovePoniesILovePonies Posts: 158
    Thanks for your feedback Summoners,

    It's important to remember a few things here. First, the first and foremost goal of these kinds of compensation are to make up for what you missed during the downtime. We want to make sure that all events affected had a resolution, and that any affected Summoner has the situation rectified for them. Compensation packages are not about "Free stuff". The only events that we can't measure how players were affected specifically were things like Event Quest, and Alliance Wars, which is why there are Energy Refills and 5-Star Shards in the package as well.

    Secondly, I see a lot of people bringing up the last compensation package that went out. That one was a different situation where it was not possible for us to address every event that was affected because of the repeated downtimes during the month of March. That package was also for an entire month, and not a single night.

    And Lastly, we're seeing some comments on other issues, such as problems with devices. This is completely unrelated, and something that we are still investigating.

    So you can measure what AQ ranking we would of got but aren't giving us any compensation for dropping 1000 ranks?

    I would imagine they could if they were in the office and could discuss it. It's Sunday morning.


    You telling me that a multimillion dollar company don’t have a staff working around the clock or pay (the team) overtime to fix problems. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m starting to think that @GroundedWisdom is in fact @kabamsomebodythatworksatKabam

    I don't work at Kabam.
    What I'm saying is you can't just hire some noob to work weekends when it comes to Development. Money can't make the job any less complex. They have people that work, yes. Not everyone that works is capable of fixing these things, and there are reasons the number of people capable of that are limited. Is it a big problem that people are in the wrong Bracket? Yes. Is it significant enough to warrant immediate action? No.


    You forgetting the overheating iPhones in that?
  • Fredhorst23Fredhorst23 Posts: 410
    I may have just lost it in the mix but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Its getting towards the end of monday any updates on any of this kabam team? Have you heard us and taken our issuses with your “compensation” into consideration? Any news or updates would be greatly appriciated!
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 16,832
    Thanks for your feedback Summoners,

    It's important to remember a few things here. First, the first and foremost goal of these kinds of compensation are to make up for what you missed during the downtime. We want to make sure that all events affected had a resolution, and that any affected Summoner has the situation rectified for them. Compensation packages are not about "Free stuff". The only events that we can't measure how players were affected specifically were things like Event Quest, and Alliance Wars, which is why there are Energy Refills and 5-Star Shards in the package as well.

    Secondly, I see a lot of people bringing up the last compensation package that went out. That one was a different situation where it was not possible for us to address every event that was affected because of the repeated downtimes during the month of March. That package was also for an entire month, and not a single night.

    And Lastly, we're seeing some comments on other issues, such as problems with devices. This is completely unrelated, and something that we are still investigating.

    So you can measure what AQ ranking we would of got but aren't giving us any compensation for dropping 1000 ranks?

    I would imagine they could if they were in the office and could discuss it. It's Sunday morning.


    You telling me that a multimillion dollar company don’t have a staff working around the clock or pay (the team) overtime to fix problems. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m starting to think that @GroundedWisdom is in fact @kabamsomebodythatworksatKabam

    I don't work at Kabam.
    What I'm saying is you can't just hire some noob to work weekends when it comes to Development. Money can't make the job any less complex. They have people that work, yes. Not everyone that works is capable of fixing these things, and there are reasons the number of people capable of that are limited. Is it a big problem that people are in the wrong Bracket? Yes. Is it significant enough to warrant immediate action? No.


    You forgetting the overheating iPhones in that?

    No. I specified that they are probably occupied with that a few comments ago.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 7,044
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.

    It is. Kabam collect data on everything, including who used a Pym disk. They know what you spend your units on, just ask support whether you bought a premium crystal yesterday. They can check your account purchase history so saying they can’t is wrong or lying.

    They are perfectly able to see who bought and spent what and they are perfectly able to reimburse that amount.

    It quite obviously did affect people differently, which is what kabam and you have in common. You don’t understand.

    You know how some people sleep at different times around the world? Yeah, that’s how it affects people differently and it’s naive to think it affects everyone the same just because it happens at the same time.

    You expect them to comb hundreds of thousands of Accounts and return everything people spent on an Arena? Dude. Let that sink in.

    Actually, in the AQ tier reset thread I suggested returning all potions spend during this week's AQ. I believe that is doable. Whether they want to expend the effort is a separate question. But Kabam has done similar things in the past: they've returned alliance map costs and they can run reports to determine the exact list of players that purchased a particular crystal, and even what champion they received from that crystal, to use as input into other compensation packages they've created. Clearly this can be done in an automated fashion if they choose to do so.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 16,832
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.

    It is. Kabam collect data on everything, including who used a Pym disk. They know what you spend your units on, just ask support whether you bought a premium crystal yesterday. They can check your account purchase history so saying they can’t is wrong or lying.

    They are perfectly able to see who bought and spent what and they are perfectly able to reimburse that amount.

    It quite obviously did affect people differently, which is what kabam and you have in common. You don’t understand.

    You know how some people sleep at different times around the world? Yeah, that’s how it affects people differently and it’s naive to think it affects everyone the same just because it happens at the same time.

    You expect them to comb hundreds of thousands of Accounts and return everything people spent on an Arena? Dude. Let that sink in.

    Actually, in the AQ tier reset thread I suggested returning all potions spend during this week's AQ. I believe that is doable. Whether they want to expend the effort is a separate question. But Kabam has done similar things in the past: they've returned alliance map costs and they can run reports to determine the exact list of players that purchased a particular crystal, and even what champion they received from that crystal, to use as input into other compensation packages they've created. Clearly this can be done in an automated fashion if they choose to do so.

    Perhaps doable. However, the more you add, the more complex it becomes. The logwr it will take. When you're talking about returning all Boosts, Units, etc. spent in the Arena, it gets more complex.
    I just think it gets to be less feasible the more people expect in terms of specifics.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 2,857
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    People may disagree, but I feel that the best course of action is to follow through with what they planned to put out, and address the other issues afterwards. It's true that there are a number of things going on right now, but extending the evaluation period is just going to further frustrate people. You pretty much have to fight fires individually.

    Except at this point it's a conflagration, not a kitchen fire. The problems have spread to all parts of the game like AQ brackets, overheating/crashing, and your standard connection issues. The best course of action for Kabam to go through would be scrap this compensation and give a bulk one like 12.0 because it's hit that level of damage to the community. Most people here are afraid to even boot up the game for fear of damaging their devices, so the pittance they were planning on giving just isn't going to cut it. I'm not a huge advocate for compensation, it's more of a pleasant bonus for me, but in this instance Kabam is going to have to work extra hard to regain their player bases' confidence.
    It's compounding issues. Now, they have a package to address one of those issues. There's no reason to further hold off on that just to amalgamate problems.

    A weak package that doesn't meet minimum levels of compensation. Like we said earlier.

    Actually, it does. In terms of the outage, it makes up for what people missed. Unless of course, you have a personal expectation of "above and beyond", in which case you probably won't be pleased.
    There's no reason to hold off and lump it in with other problems just because people wanted more. You need to deal with issues individually and within the scope.

    Actually it doesn’t. Not in my opinion. Which is quite a large problem you seem to have, stating everything you believe as fact.

    How does simply re-running the arena make up for it? It completely ignores previous effort without any address of it.

    Hypothetical situation. A player who really, really wanted Goldpool/Modok/Antman is grinding arena. They don’t have the deepest roster for it and are fairly unprepared. But they bought an Odin, Black panther treasure, Stark briefcase, or whatever and they grinded. They recharged their champs and made it all the way to X Million points. But before they could do any more, the game went down for emergency maintenance. Distraught at the money on the line, they prayed for the game to come back up while they could grind before they had to sleep/work/whatever. This was their designated time to grind. 8 hours later and it’s still down.

    At the end of the arena they cross their fingers but unfortunately all their money has gone to waste, they came 151st/251st/ 11%-25% or whatever. They missed out. All that time, money and effort gone to waste.

    They check the forums and apparently compensation is coming out. They think maybe something good will come for it, the units maybe refunded, or the top rewards being handed out to people. After all the buildup of kabam saying compensation will come out soon, it’ll come out soon, it’ll come out soon; they come out and say that the arena will be rerun.

    Brilliant. So the “compensation” for the player is that they have the opportunity to put in all the effort again. All those units, money and time spent were literally for nothing.

    Perhaps this was an exaggeration , then again, perhaps not. Regardless, it is almost a certainty that someone spent money to refresh champs for Goldpool (there were scores of over 150 million) and people clearly spent time that has gone to waste.

    Compensation does NOT cover everything. And that is not my opinion, because it is a fact that the arena does not compensate for money, time or effort spent in arena. It just gives an opportunity to put in the same money, time or effort in again.

    @GroundedWisdom I find it funny that you chose to reply to a post that was clearly baiting you for a response, but ignore the valid points I make. This is why people think you don’t back up your opinion, because you call it facts and then don’t explain why.

    I didn't see the comment. I'm at work and I checked the last page at break.
    It's not possible to gauge who put in what for the Grind. However, people missed a good number of hours to Grind, and for some that's the time they have. Is it a perfect solution? No. They're not capable of perfectly accommodating everyone's situation. It's a chance to Grind again. That's fair. Sorry you disagree.
    Considering it didn't actually affect the score seeing as how no one could Grind, it's more than fair.

    It is. Kabam collect data on everything, including who used a Pym disk. They know what you spend your units on, just ask support whether you bought a premium crystal yesterday. They can check your account purchase history so saying they can’t is wrong or lying.

    They are perfectly able to see who bought and spent what and they are perfectly able to reimburse that amount.

    It quite obviously did affect people differently, which is what kabam and you have in common. You don’t understand.

    You know how some people sleep at different times around the world? Yeah, that’s how it affects people differently and it’s naive to think it affects everyone the same just because it happens at the same time.

    You expect them to comb hundreds of thousands of Accounts and return everything people spent on an Arena? Dude. Let that sink in.

    Actually, in the AQ tier reset thread I suggested returning all potions spend during this week's AQ. I believe that is doable. Whether they want to expend the effort is a separate question. But Kabam has done similar things in the past: they've returned alliance map costs and they can run reports to determine the exact list of players that purchased a particular crystal, and even what champion they received from that crystal, to use as input into other compensation packages they've created. Clearly this can be done in an automated fashion if they choose to do so.

    Perhaps doable. However, the more you add, the more complex it becomes. The logwr it will take. When you're talking about returning all Boosts, Units, etc. spent in the Arena, it gets more complex.
    I just think it gets to be less feasible the more people expect in terms of specifics.

    Units. There, people are happy and we’ve solved your complexity issue.
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 1,594
    It makes you wonder what Marvel thinks of all this. Being a Marvel licensed product and Marvel/Disneys good name(s) possibly being tarnished with Kabams/Netmarbles poor public relations. I know myself that I started playing this game because I'm a Marvel nutter. I started playing this game purely because it is a Marvel endorsed product.

    Food for thought

    I did tooo. I found it by accident.

  • KarakanliKarakanli Posts: 74
    Cmon @GroundedWisdom

    You spam every single thread with significant relevance on this Forum. And demand for contrary answers so often.

    23 new posts and all are about your Point of view of everything and you really always have to have the last word.
    That will not happen as your world is so far away from many others in so many aspects.

    Im not judging who is right and who is wrong, but pls: if you have news or things of relevance come here and post. If not, stay quite and wait till any mod finally tells us something new.

    Just keep calm and peaceful and dont bother anyone in here.

    Thanks in advance!
  • Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Hi all!

    Just wanted to give an update. The Pym Particle Disks were already sent out but we plan on sending out the rest of the compensation described in the announcement today. Thanks for your feedback about the compensation and patience as we worked toward the resolution.

    I haven't got my pym particle disk yet?
  • Gwm83Gwm83 Posts: 72
    Wow....they actually did give those "rewards" as compensation lol I shouldn't be surprised...but I kinda am
  • Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Hi all!

    Just wanted to give an update. The Pym Particle Disks were already sent out but we plan on sending out the rest of the compensation described in the announcement today. Thanks for your feedback about the compensation and patience as we worked toward the resolution.

    Marvellous Crystal update please? I presume it wouldnt be as difficult sending those out compared to deciding the content of the 8 hr compensation?
  • MninobodyMninobody Posts: 121
    This is only the compensation they mentioned last week. No way does this have anything to do with the last 5 days because this was promised back then.
Sign In or Register to comment.