**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Are any 4* even worth Ranking up anymore?

2»

Comments

• NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,904 ★★★★★
    it all depends on where you are in the game for me 4 stars are useless unless i'm doing EQ
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Rajuteda wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »
    Really, my answer to this question is always this: What makes you smile when you play? What do you truly enjoy doing in this game?

I think, at times, some people focus so much on tomorrow, the endgame, the next shiny toy, that they forget that this is a game that you honestly can have fun playing. There are multiple modes, you do not have to be in an alliance if you are patient and play consistently.

My point: Rank up characters that you enjoy playing, whether they are 4 or 5-stars.

This game is going to end one day. None of us are going to be able to play it forever, keep these characters forever.

To me, the tragedy of when this game ends is there are going to be tons of people who waited and waited and waited for the right moment, the perfect character, the exact content, before they ranked up characters they would've enjoyed playing today because one day, they might need Elite Character X for Act 8...but the game shutters after Act 7.

That's a metaphor for life, by the way: There's rarely one perfect answer for a subjective question.

There's only what you do and what you don't do. More often than not, if you look at a situation and simply ask two questions: 1. Am I bothering anyone?, 2. Will this make me happier with what I am doing today if tomorrow's not guaranteed?, then you will realize that at the end of it all, not nearly enough people seize the day, smell the roses, and enjoy what they are doing because they are always waiting for tomorrow.

So. That's my answer: Rank up the 4-star if you want to use it. Grind for the replacement materials. Enjoy the game today, because at some point, it won't be there

Wow..finally good to see a mature guy in here!!

Ha! Thanks!

I'll try not to go into too deep of a rabbit hole, but I think one point has to be driven home: There's no one right answer for this game. There simply isn't.

Why? Because there are counters, either characters, masteries or nodes, for every single thing a player is going to try to do.

Blade loses Danger Sense against heroes and can't bleed certain characters. Archangel kills everything that can be bled and poisoned...but probably shouldn't be used when they can't or on a debuff immune node.

So on and so forth.

To me, just my opinion, that's why players should rank up characters they enjoy playing, characters they're good at playing, whose movesets and abilities match their respective playstyle. A game with this many characters...I don't know. I totally understand that some characters are simply better than others by utility -- no, I wouldn't rank up a She-Hulk or Groot, we all get that -- but the world isn't gonna stop spinning if somebody takes a Scarlet Witch to 5/50 before they get a 5-star Ghost Rider to 3/45.

For me, for example, I play a ton of Tech characters. I just do. OG Vision is simply one of my favorite characters to play, and it's rare that a I go a game session without breaking him out at least once. It's just a personal preference.

So for me, it made total sense to throw mastery points/resources at Collar Tech. It helps my Iron Man (IW), Spark, etc.

But for other people who might run, say...a ton of mutants. Iceman. Archangel. Domino. Characters like that.

Then it would make absolutely zero sense for them to throw resources into Collar Tech. None. That doesn't make my Tech characters better than Domino. It just means that I am better at playing them than Archangel, enjoy it more, and at some point, maybe that should matter to a few more people.

Just my thoughts
  • RajutedaRajuteda Posts: 565 ★★
    Really, my answer to this question is always this: What makes you smile when you play? What do you truly enjoy doing in this game?

I think, at times, some people focus so much on tomorrow, the endgame, the next shiny toy, that they forget that this is a game that you honestly can have fun playing. There are multiple modes, you do not have to be in an alliance if you are patient and play consistently.

My point: Rank up characters that you enjoy playing, whether they are 4 or 5-stars.

This game is going to end one day. None of us are going to be able to play it forever, keep these characters forever.

To me, the tragedy of when this game ends is there are going to be tons of people who waited and waited and waited for the right moment, the perfect character, the exact content, before they ranked up characters they would've enjoyed playing today because one day, they might need Elite Character X for Act 8...but the game shutters after Act 7.

That's a metaphor for life, by the way: There's rarely one perfect answer for a subjective question.

There's only what you do and what you don't do. More often than not, if you look at a situation and simply ask two questions: 1. Am I bothering anyone?, 2. Will this make me happier with what I am doing today if tomorrow's not guaranteed?, then you will realize that at the end of it all, not nearly enough people seize the day, smell the roses, and enjoy what they are doing because they are always waiting for tomorrow.

So. That's my answer: Rank up the 4-star if you want to use it. Grind for the replacement materials. Enjoy the game today, because at some point, it won't be there

Ha! Thanks!

I'll try not to go into too deep of a rabbit hole, but I think one point has to be driven home: There's no one right answer for this game. There simply isn't.

Why? Because there are counters, either characters, masteries or nodes, for every single thing a player is going to try to do.

Blade loses Danger Sense against heroes and can't bleed certain characters. Archangel kills everything that can be bled and poisoned...but probably shouldn't be used when they can't or on a debuff immune node.

So on and so forth.

To me, just my opinion, that's why players should rank up characters they enjoy playing, characters they're good at playing, whose movesets and abilities match their respective playstyle. A game with this many characters...I don't know. I totally understand that some characters are simply better than others by utility -- no, I wouldn't rank up a She-Hulk or Groot, we all get that -- but the world isn't gonna stop spinning if somebody takes a Scarlet Witch to 5/50 before they get a 5-star Ghost Rider to 3/45.

For me, for example, I play a ton of Tech characters. I just do. OG Vision is simply one of my favorite characters to play, and it's rare that a I go a game session without breaking him out at least once. It's just a personal preference.

So for me, it made total sense to throw mastery points/resources at Collar Tech. It helps my Iron Man (IW), Spark, etc.

But for other people who might run, say...a ton of mutants. Iceman. Archangel. Domino. Characters like that.

Then it would make absolutely zero sense for them to throw resources into Collar Tech. None. That doesn't make my Tech characters better than Domino. It just means that I am better at playing them than Archangel, enjoy it more, and at some point, maybe that should matter to a few more people.

Just my thoughts

Does that 18% reduction in power gain really do anything? I was contemplating on collar tech too but didnt see any merit in 18% when maxed!
  • RajutedaRajuteda Posts: 565 ★★
    I just pulled 4* medusa and KM from crystals..they are definitely going to r5

Ha! Thanks!

So on and so forth.

Just my thoughts

Does that 18% reduction in power gain really do anything? I was contemplating on collar tech too but didnt see any merit in 18% when maxed!

For me, it's a noticeable -- I won't overstate and say "huge" -- difference because of how I play and the characters I play with the most.

Right now, my day-to-day "hot" team -- as in the squad I use the most when I want to blow through something that is annoying the hell out of me on a path or random content -- is Cap (IW) 4/55 (unduped), Iron Man (IW) 5/50 (duped), OG Vision 5/50 (max duped), Scarlet Witch 5/50 (max duped), and the fifth slot is whatever character is either most useful via synergy or utility.

If you look at the synergies and abilities with those characters, you realize that I basically control power all day long, with increased power gain on my own team, to boot.

Vision/Scarlet Witch synergy: Increased Power Gain
    Cap IW/Vision synergy: Opponent special use vs. Tech champion drains their meter to zero
    Iron Man IW/Vision synergy: Vision gains 20 percent extra damage on specials
    Cap IW/Scarlet Witch synergy: SW does direct damage on nullification
    Iron Man IW: Slight power reduction while character is hit while Shocked

See what I have going on there, with the Collar Tech active, as well?

I've gotten so used to not ever letting characters get to their L2 when I'm playing this squad, it's actually kind of funny. Sometimes I have to remind myself when I start using other types of teams like mutants or Inhumans

I just pulled 4* medusa and KM from crystals..they are definitely going to r5

Good call
    zeezee57 wrote: »
    The_One wrote: »
    600k rated uncollected player and I'm forced to use 4* in EQ, AQ and war.
    Besides my 4/55 SL and 3/45 AA my 5* are trash.
    I just pulled GR yesterday and he'll go to rank 3 next level up and maybe rank 4 but I'm undecided on that

So much this. I've got tons of great 4* champs and tons of trash 5* champs. I'm gonna max out my 4* Domino long before I rank up my Gambit or Cyclops. Or the 4* Killmonger I just grinded for over my 5* Karnak, or my duped 4* Void over 5* Rhino and so on. I'm very selective which 4* I rank up and there are very few I'm willing to R5 anymore, but as long as I keep getting top tier 4* and bottom tier 5* I'm kind of stuck with who I rank up. And while I could just not rank anyone I still have holes to fill in like anyone else does and ill fill them the best way I can until a better option comes along.

Exactly.

That's exactly where I was -- my luck has gotten better recently, but for about 7-9 months my best 5-star was, no kidding, an unduped Guillotine. I am not even joking. Had Colossus, Hulkbuster, Ant-Man, She-Hulk, Groot, unduped OG Cap and Karnak -- then, to make matters worse, the first 5-star dupes I got were the She-Hulk and Groot..

So yeah. If I wanted to clear content, I had to rank up 4-stars. I don't regret it -- can't run the race without horses
  • MattyloMattylo Posts: 234
    Depends on your resources and level of play. There is still several r5 4* that can still be used especially with synergies. But if youre in an alliances that not gaining mant T4CC and shards then saving might be the better option.
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    It all depends where you are at in the game. There are a few 4* who can still dominate Uncollected and Act 5. Archangel is a good example. But, for a lot of players 4* are phasing out and 5* are the focus.
  • KenshioKenshio Posts: 162
    if you don't have all the 5 stars , then yes
    you need specific champs for specific boss or line
    like balde or AA for modok act five
    medusa for act 5 last boss
    void or ice man for mephisto boss
    and ... etc
  • NamelezNamelez Posts: 992 ★★★
    OzFearUs wrote: »
    I have a 4* Blade, Stark Spidey, Wolverine...etc. That I have duped recently, but are they worth even upgrading anymore.

Only r5 God tier 4*s
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,053 ★★★★★
    actually I'd say no, but today I was surprised to see r5 4* imiw and lost my almost dead already GR, so... maybe?)
  • mdsubmdsub Posts: 180
    If you need to beat Red skull...Ronan if awakened is worth it
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Dr_ARCHer wrote: »
    To me, the advantage of 5* is the triple points you get in arenas compared to a 4*. Makes your grinding time shorter to achieve the same milestones. I’ve pushed most of my 5* to r3, and kept most of my 4* at r3 (just to save on the T1a and T4b).

I don't find the point increase from R2 to R3 to be significant enough to neglect all other leveling. The T1A costs used to be an impediment to leveling 5* champs but for arena grinders the triple T1A you can get from the event has significantly improved matters there.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    It really depends on where you are in the game and what champ you're talking about. Personally I haven't tanked a 4* champ in months and have 20 sitting at r2 inclueindg some top tier champs (Void, Dominio, Corvis, Proxy, KM, ect.) because they're not worth the t1a to rank to 3/30. I'd love to rank many of these champs but 5* champs are so much more important.

I have no idea why they decided to make a material needed to take a 5*champ to r5 also needed to take a 4* champ to 3/30. It really makes no sense to me.

My r2 4* god tier champs are just 5* shard farms at this point as I can't use them in arena and they're never going to be worth the t1a.
  • buttersbutters Posts: 116
    Pulled a 4* IMIW when he first came out, duped him a few days later. Took him to R5 he gets me between (Lowest) 2 to 15 (highest) kills per war. This current war he got 10 which is average. So yeah they are still worth ranking up.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    It really depends on where you are in the game and what champ you're talking about.

Very recently I took Cap IW to 5/50, because I had a lot of science cats I didn't really want to use on anyone else and I wanted to score some rank up points. Plus I wanted to test him against the Adaptoid, and maybe some other stuff. So it really does depend on what you are trying to do.
  • Dr_ARCHerDr_ARCHer Posts: 125
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I don't find the point increase from R2 to R3 to be significant enough to neglect all other leveling. The T1A costs used to be an impediment to leveling 5* champs but for arena grinders the triple T1A you can get from the event has significantly improved matters there.

With the triple T1A, there is no impediment to leveling up 5*, so I level them up as frequently as I can. I will level up the 4* only when I have no 5* to level up.