**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

We need to have a serious conversation AW manipulation

Comments

• Noob_2yrsNoob_2yrs Posts: 67
    BCdiscman wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how this would even work. Why would a top Alliance move to a new 'shell alliance' to get easier War Matchups? This would also put them in much lower war tiers (plus put them in the AQ rewards penalty box). Are you suggesting that top players would give up 4 & 5* shards to get 3* shards instead just to get easier war Matchups? It just doesn't make sense to me.

You missing a point here, they play in tier 2/3/4 to get easy match ups and these tier rewards have plenty of 5*/4* shards and they get these without even using items ;)
  • Mwhitaker23Mwhitaker23 Posts: 332 ★★
    i don't get what your saying not sure why a top tier alliance would drop to a empty alliance for easier war matchups when they getting burnt on aq bracket as well.. aw really needs a overhaul.. rewards need to be revised as well as the crystals. im getting 3 star arena boost from my war victory crystal when we are beating 10 mil alliances.. that has no value to me so bump up the 5 star shard rewards and revise the crystals and im good... oh and also ban the cheaters using mods
  • Batman05Batman05 Posts: 351 ★★
    I can't see this really being something top alliances are doing, you'd lose to many rewards, aq blackout, takes to long to get back to tier one and two in aw, sa rewards, three day event rewards. Aw matching by rating is clearly the best solution this far
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    What strikes me in these conversations and semi similar situation regarding staggering when war match ups are searched and coordinating with other top alliances is just the pure level of cowardice.

Isn't the point of war to test your metal against a similar strength opponent? Is it really more rewarding to accumulate more rewards to get more champs to then just use them against weaker opponents? Idk just sounds like cowardice to me
  • Yelin547Yelin547 Posts: 238
    The only way to do a change in this way to ensure no cheating is to base it all off of prestige. The only thing is your about to run into another snag hat would affect your idea negatively and alliances that are on higher tiers than their equivalent opponents may not agree with. But however I could. Your tier is now based off your prestige. You only move based on that, but now your facing equal opponents regularly. This could be skewed and abused if lower alliances get one or two big guys to imbalance the fight trumendously. Keep that in mind.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    This entire thread is pointless. Kabam has already changed the matchmaking criteria about 5 times. Guess what we had originally? A system based off alliance rating. We eventually landed on a system based solely on WR for a reason... doing it any other way has significant flaws.
  • Jay_IberoJay_Ibero Posts: 265
    While not necessarily the most reliable due to prestige not being an entirely accurate measure of champion power, the easiest fix that doesn't involve any funky new calculations would probably be to have war matches be based of the average prestige of the top 8 champs of each player (5 for defense, 3 for attack). This would at least give a close approximation of relative potential power. While the top 8 might not always be the ones used in war due to AQ, solo questing, or over-inflated prestige for some champs, it should at least be good enough, and certainly much better than the war rating system.
  • K1lltasticK1lltastic Posts: 674 ★★★
    It's okay if you don't understand the mathematics behind WHY the war rating is the most logical way to set up war matchmaking.

It's not okay to bog down the forums with more of this excremental thread nonsense.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    Base it off of War Rating and a collaboration of the member's individual prestige. Done
  • Husky54Husky54 Posts: 244 ★★
    K1lltastic wrote: »
    It's okay if you don't understand the mathematics behind WHY the war rating is the most logical way to set up war matchmaking.

It's not okay to bog down the forums with more of this excremental thread nonsense.

I understand the mathematics behind war rating just fine. You get more war rating for beating a better alliance, you get less for beating a less capable alliance.

But you're missing the point. The point is that there are alliances who are manipulating the system so they never have difficult matches. This comes at the expense of weaker alliances who are "going to war" in good faith.
  • Injuries_IrkedInjuries_Irked Posts: 41
    The logic of swapping to a shell makes no sense... unless the allliance decides to take a break from tier 1, a new shell would mean you'd have to start of at tier 20. Which takes quite a while to get back to where u get 4 and 5* shards... yeah you'd steamroll through the competition, but that's tons of wasted time trying to get back to where rewards are descent.
  • DAVIDTHDAVIDTH Posts: 224
    All I see are a bunch of noobs that don't know how to get good and will blame top players for everything. Also this thread is stupid because why would someone go down to a lower rates alliance for low AQ rewards, low AW rewards, and low SA rewards. Who would want to come from 4/5* shards to premium/3* shards?
    Also I'm in an alliance that's a month old and we are 6.8 mill, we all have to start from the bottom
  • DAVIDTHDAVIDTH Posts: 224
    The logic of swapping to a shell makes no sense... unless the allliance decides to take a break from tier 1, a new shell would mean you'd have to start of at tier 20. Which takes quite a while to get back to where u get 4 and 5* shards... yeah you'd steamroll through the competition, but that's tons of wasted time trying to get back to where rewards are descent.

Takes like a month just to get to tier 9, totally not worth it
  • RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★
    I think they should make it based off prestige or something. Works fine for AQ. Just make some adjustments to the brackets.

This would make the most sense for AW, taking an alliances overall prestige as the base, by-passes those people selling off 2-3*, it also ensures higher ranked alliances can't match up with a bunch of 4* 3/30 guys.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    They don't drop that far. Usually they go between tier 1 and tier 3 or 4, whichever is the lowest that still gives 5* shards.

The problem with this is that it's a victimless crime. A lower ally (such as the ones that are the "victims" that are mentioned through this thread) may see one really good ally each month or longer that is gaming the system. They take the loss and move down in rating, but it does not affect their tier or war rating in any prolonged meaningful way. The likelihood is high they would lose to an equal ally within that week. At most, it changed the pattern that their win cycle would have occurred naturally.

This is nothing like ally swapping to get weekly cats with minimum effort before. The "victim" ally wins the next one and is in the same spot as before, then they can win the next match if they are good enough. So if their record likely would have been WWL, now it has changed to LWW. Same spot, same rewards, no big deal.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited July 2017
    Couldn't you end AW swapping by resetting war rating based on various circumstances?

I would also think there are other possibilities of "seasons" where everyone is reset, this though would require a restructuring of reward payouts and could be quite complicated.

This is all predicated on the notion that there is actually a large number of alliances manipulating the system which hasn't been shown yet.
  • BCdiscman wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how this would even work. Why would a top Alliance move to a new 'shell alliance' to get easier War Matchups? This would also put them in much lower war tiers (plus put them in the AQ rewards penalty box). Are you suggesting that top players would give up 4 & 5* shards to get 3* shards instead just to get easier war Matchups? It just doesn't make sense to me.

The second alliance won't be at 0 but at a lower point in the upper tiers. So, they will revive the same rewards for easier matches. Without naming names, the alliance(s) beginning this new swapping have established sister alliances in place already.
  • If nothing is done about this(and soon), think of it this way, right now alliances climbing the ladder see a handful of ranked 5* peppered through the opponents maps. On occasion you'll see alliances with maps full of 5* and many times you'll accept it as an rare unbalanced match. If top alliance are allowed to swap down to upcoming alliances then these bad matchups will be more often then the fair matches.
  • NabbydianNabbydian Posts: 29

There are many "dead" alliances that disbanded at Tier 2-4 (war rating anything from 1400-1600).

This Tier 1 alliances with above 2000 war rating shift their whole roster to the dead alliance and started playing tier 2-4 wars against weaker opponents. How they get hold of an dead alliance is not rocket science.
  • Nabbydian wrote: »

There are many "dead" alliances that disbanded at Tier 2-4 (war rating anything from 1400-1600).

This Tier 1 alliances with above 2000 war rating shift their whole roster to the dead alliance and started playing tier 2-4 wars against weaker opponents. How they get hold of an dead alliance is not rocket science.

And the alliances taking this up are notorious for previous exploits, so, expect it to work well and take off fast. Shards for up and comers will soon drop off.
  • Ja55Ja55 Posts: 155
    Nabbydian wrote: »

If they swap to tier 2 or 3 and run 3 wars a week they will be back in tier 1 in 2 weeks maybe 3. They already gave up 1 aq rank rewards and then they are going to swap back and miss aq rank rewards 2 to 3 weeks later? It's not rocket science...that's asinine.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    Couldn't you end AW swapping by resetting war rating based on various circumstances?

I would also think there are other possibilities of "seasons" where everyone is reset, this though would require a restructuring of reward payouts and could be quite complicated.

This is all predicated on the notion that there is actually a large number of alliances manipulating the system which hasn't been shown yet.

This was my original idea. New Season, clean slate. Each would give the possibility of new Rewards (Events, Titles, etc.). Each Season the Rating is cleared. The idea is that each Ally that participates would grow a bit more each Season. There could also be a Placement Phase that operates based on Ally,/Average Rating, so there is less chance of surprise extreme Matches. Then it would lean on War Rating later on.
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    I am in a top 300 alliance, but we do not do this. We have discussed it, but you generally have to be in an alliance network to pull this off.

A few points of clarification.
    1) It is not your top alliances, if I had to guess it is your alliances outside the top 100 that still place in tier 1 or tier 2 of war. Probably covers somewhere between alliances 100-500 (just a pure guess though).
    2) The alliances that do this are usually a part of a network of alliances. And there is a swap (not a change to a brand new alliance). The swap usually puts them back into tier 4 for war but allows them to stay at the expert tier for AQ, but they miss out on a week of rewards.
    3) Tier 4 war ratings are somewhere within the 1400-1600 range, so it takes more than 1-3 weeks to be back in tier 1 for war.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    There are other aspects I could amend to my idea as well. The introduction of Glory is one. Another is a sort of hybrid from AQ. The use of Brackets could determine the Rewards that would be based on War Rating. The higher the War Rating, the higher the Bracket. Tiers would still exist and be scaled to your Bracket, but advancing in Tiers would be individual and based on Wins and Losses. Therefore, there would be less chance of a monopoly.
  • Thawnim wrote: »
    I am in a top 300 alliance, but we do not do this. We have discussed it, but you generally have to be in an alliance network to pull this off.

A few points of clarification.
    1) It is not your top alliances, if I had to guess it is your alliances outside the top 100 that still place in tier 1 or tier 2 of war. Probably covers somewhere between alliances 100-500 (just a pure guess though).
    2) The alliances that do this are usually a part of a network of alliances. And there is a swap (not a change to a brand new alliance). The swap usually puts them back into tier 4 for war but allows them to stay at the expert tier for AQ, but they miss out on a week of rewards.
    3) Tier 4 war ratings are somewhere within the 1400-1600 range, so it takes more than 1-3 weeks to be back in tier 1 for war.

Def a top alliance and part of a network. They were one of the first to start the original swap and also originated other game exploits.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Noobeeus wrote: »
    @DNA3000 I like where you went with that, and a simple solution would be to tickle the math in order to prevent it from being gamed.

The idea is to make it hard to cheat/game the system without it being punitive to anyone as the black out system hurts people legitimately moving alliances.

Maybe tie the final score of my calcs to War rating so it at least has a bearing on the team you play.

for example when you start matchmaking it finds the closest match to both numbers

I have thought about it for a while now, and I haven't yet figured out a way to construct a system that incorporates this kind of information that isn't gameable yet. I actually believe ranking based on anything other than win/loss record is always going to allow for crazy loopholes and exploits, because win/loss record minimizes the computational "fairness" of the matchups globally. The problem is it can, in some implementations, create bad ones locally. Meaning you may find yourself in a wildly unfair matchup today operating against you, but the system will balance out by eventually matching you with a wildly unfair matchup in your favor, so the net win/loss error is about zero.

Still, it is worth seeing if those can be dampened. I just think it isn't simple to do so. I think the best way to explicitly tackle swaps might be to target them directly, and not indirectly with different matchup logic. For example, starting a brand new alliance at zero rating is technically a way to represent zero knowledge: we don't have any wins or losses recorded yet, so we cannot compute a rating at all. If there was a way to better estimate rating for a new alliance based on membership in the absence of a win/loss record, that might ameliorate the problem somewhat. It wouldn't solve it, because I don't think you can "know" what that rating should be, but close enough might have to be good enough.

One idea I was toying with, but have not analyzed enough to know if it is mathematically sound, is to consider a points system where every member of an alliance got their own war rating. The crux of the idea is say your alliance has a war rating of 1500. Every member contributed to that rating, and we could use the battlegroup percentage as a rough proxy for that contribution. Let's say your overall percentage was 4%. We take war rating, and multiply by your percentage and get 1500 * 0.04 = 60. Now, if a new alliance is formed, then on its very first war its initial rating would be the sum of the ratings of its members at that time. If you had thirty members all with a 60 rating, the initial alliance rating would be 60 * 30 = 1800 (you were higher than average). If the same thirty people try to form a new alliance, they would end up with the same initial rating: 1500. We then use win/loss record moving forward to modify that rating. And we use moving weighted averages to come up with a way to continuously monitor individual player rating. The individual rating would only be used when new alliances were formed: they would have no impact on an ongoing alliance.

There are some weird corner case ways to exploit this kind of system, but it is harder to do. But it would take some time to determine what the best possible implementation of this kind of system would be, and whether it is ultimately sound.
  • 420down420down Posts: 170
    Aw is flawed in that once your alliance peaks it becomes a 50/50 game unless you are at or very near the top. Alliances that want to beat this 50/50 cap are going to find a way. A simple solution would be to have losing drop your rating substantially more then winning. Losing once should take you 4 wins to regain the rating. Not a single win.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    420down wrote: »
    Aw is flawed in that once your alliance peaks it becomes a 50/50 game unless you are at or very near the top. Alliances that want to beat this 50/50 cap are going to find a way. A simple solution would be to have losing drop your rating substantially more then winning. Losing once should take you 4 wins to regain the rating. Not a single win.

This actually subtly hints at an unresolvable problem with AW. This statement encapsulates a definition of what a fair contest would be that is fundamentally and irreconcilably different from the definition many other people are implicitly using when they talk about fair and unfair matchups. You seem to be saying that the strongest alliances end up being matched against each other and so can only win half the time, when the strongest alliances should win more than half the time. That pivots around a value judgment: should the strongest war alliances win more often than the weaker ones on average, or should the strongest alliances be matched against each other in "even" contests which by definition they will only win about half the time?

I'm of the opinion that AQ incorporates a stronger meritocratic reward system, and AW more of an even odds match up system (granted: the rewards get higher at higher tiers, but to a significantly muted extent relative to AQ) and that's intentional. But that design decision is largely an arbitrary one.
  • ImmortalImmortal Posts: 323 ★★
    Establishing seasons with top prizes will promote competitive tournament and plenty of potion sales too
This discussion has been closed.