**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

New Alliance Wars Matchmaking System & Season 8 Details

Comments

• Can you look at taking out some links in AW now? With war ending at tough times for many people dropping some links would be a HUGE help. Running the middle paths are awful enough when you can choose when your war starts.

I hear you bro trying to coordinate middle can be so annoying, I wish link nodes were just taken out all together let people take their lanes on their own time.
  • one thought...

imagine list of alliances by war rating that prompted to participate in next war:
    1. XXX - 1501
    2. YYY - 1500
    3. ZZZ - 1499
    4. .....
    in case if XXX will always win in YYY, they always be on the same places - doesn't it mean that these alliances will always fight with each other?
    I mean, to not abuse Bye rewards - you said about that. is there any cut to avoid alliances to have the same match each war?
  • and another question, about alliances that jumping to different ally to play easier wars.
    you can find new members during Enlistment Period, which leaves this breach for alliance - they finished one war, one member from new alliance Enlisted new alliance and then they moved to another alliance to play next war. is there any way to fight with that?
  • MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    Crushtest wrote: »
    one thought...

imagine list of alliances by war rating that prompted to participate in next war:
    1. XXX - 1501
    2. YYY - 1500
    3. ZZZ - 1499
    4. .....
    in case if XXX will always win in YYY, they always be on the same places - doesn't it mean that these alliances will always fight with each other?
    I mean, to not abuse Bye rewards - you said about that. is there any cut to avoid alliances to have the same match each war?

given the fact there is a four hour window for matchmaking to occur i would highly suspect not.
    that is 4hr period for kabams servers to do calculations and match everyone up appropriately.
    i assume that war rating will be biggest thing but other things like prestige will be included.
    i would also suspect that there will be something put in place to ensure that the the same alliances that just fought each other cannot fight each other again.
    maybe something like you cannot fight the same alliance within the 3 war week.
    so then at most an alliance could fight each other once each week.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    Lagacy wrote: »
    Can you look at taking out some links in AW now? With war ending at tough times for many people dropping some links would be a HUGE help. Running the middle paths are awful enough when you can choose when your war starts.

I hear you bro trying to coordinate middle can be so annoying, I wish link nodes were just taken out all together let people take their lanes on their own time.

I wouldn't mind if they keep the ones going to the mini and main bosses. But all the ones at the start and middle are just annoying. Adds unneeded stress and hassle.

Would love to see a follow up vid addressing the new changes and tweaks you'd make.
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike what are the "rewards" of the "Bye" if an Alliance gets it?

The win AW awards? The lose AW awards?

And how about points??? What will be given? Just the 50k plus the 20k for each bg?

Please explain this part.

Since at most three alliances can get the bye (one for one BG war, one for two BG war, one for three BG war), and since they will be matching from top to bottom, the alliance that gets the bye will be some tiny Stone bracket-inhabiting alliance that basically wins the lottery. A very tiny lottery. Since you can only win the bye once, it will, based on my data on brackets, propel a bottom dwelling Stone 3 or Participation alliance perhaps into Stone 1 or maybe Bronze 3 even if they got full points (i.e. a perfect completion plus win bonus).

In other words, it will be a small jackpot for some alliance that barely participates in war, but otherwise is unlikely to affect the rewards for anyone else by any significant amount.

While this is true @DNA3000, I believe in the sake of transparency that all should know the Bye pass rewards.

@Kabam Miike
  • rwhackrwhack Posts: 1,047 ★★★
    Cranmer00 wrote: »
    MaatMan wrote: »
    My only question is exactly how will the matchmaking work?
    Wat determines you opponent being a suitibale match?
    Cus as we have seen two alliances with same alliance rating can be very different strengths when it comes to war. Due to peeps selling / not ranking champs.
    Can you please elaborate as a alot of people will be wondering the same thing.
    @Kabam Miike

We don't talk about our Matchmaking criteria in much detail for a few reasons, including the potential for manipulation with that information. The important part will remain your war rating, as this is a performance based metric that increases and decreases with your wins and losses.

The problem with this is people intentionally dropping wars in offseason and using shell alliances to drop rating. You could increase the time it takes to get rewards in joining a new alliance, but that will end up screwing a lot of ppl over as well.

Have you all found a fix to this problem yet by chance?

No that’s not the problem. The problem is that if you have a high AW rating you get punished by only facing difficult opponents every week. The solution since kabam doesn’t have one is tanking or buying a shell.

They weigh wins and losses the same. Let’s try sports:

Mount Union College goes undefeated.

Alabama or Ohio State or whoever loses 1 or two games playing division I opponents.

In mcoc Mount Union finished ranked #1.

The reason for tanking and switching to shells is kabam if you have say a top 3 AW rating has decided you’ll fade only the top. Your loss to say NY718 has the same weight as OPNT (opponents with no thumbs). Same as a win against either.

Need to create divisions by AW rating that you can play your way into or way out of.
  • INTEGRAL wrote: »
    So is this more fair?

Alliance with 3300 war rating will play against another alliance with 3300-3500 war rating and will collect the same points because those alliances have the same multiplier with other alliances with 2900 war rating that will face 2800-2700 war rating?

So for example while real top 10 alliances will not be ranked in top 10, an alliance with 2700 war rating will win Season 8?

You HAVE TO give higher multiplier to the stronger alliances if you want them to match each other every day.
    INTEGRAL wrote: »
    So is this more fair?

Alliance with 3300 war rating will play against another alliance with 3300-3500 war rating and will collect the same points because those alliances have the same multiplier with other alliances with 2900 war rating that will face 2800-2700 war rating?

So for example while real top 10 alliances will not be ranked in top 10, an alliance with 2700 war rating will win Season 8?

You HAVE TO give higher multiplier to the stronger alliances if you want them to match each other every day.

Yes thats not fair at all.. The multiplier has to be higher than the alliances thats has a lower war rating.
  • Cranmer00Cranmer00 Posts: 528 ★★
    Lagacy wrote: »
    Good start and it's nice to see you guys trying to address some of the problems with AW and matchmaking. This is gonna come off super salty but if you're going to acknowledge people for guessing the solution or helping you guys come up with the solution it should really be the people who have been suggesting this idea 7+ months ago and I'm sure it was brought up even before that. People have spent hours on end posting ideas and suggestions so any indication that they've helped you shape a better game would go a long way to keeping those people motivated and appreciated.

That's actually a great point! We've heard many ideas like this from our players for quite some time now. We started working on this new form of Matchmaking just after Alliance Wars seasons started, and even then we'd heard of something like this from many of our Players.

This kind of system isn't built and implemented in just a few months though, and we'd gone back and forth on how to do it, and when we'd have the capacity to do it.

When I called out @Lagacy in that post for coming close, it's because he just happened to put out a video yesterday that was something pretty close to this. Check it out here and you can see just how close he was.

Our players gave us a lot of great input on this one, so we want to thank you all for your suggestions, and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next!

Haha thanks Miike it’s pretty funny I made the video a day before the announcement what a coincidence. 😂

It was announced that they would be posting AW changes at the end of the month weeks ago
    Andrewkole wrote: »
    Also I hear what people are saying about the start times.. but every single alliance has 24 hours to complete the map... that is the same as before. They aren’t dictating which hours you want to use to do so.

Noted it will hurt alliances with random people in other places in the world.

if an entire BG is in the same / similar timezone it will be no issue at all....
    if a BG has 2-3 different timezones it could become very very hard.
    if the boss killers are from AUS it could be really band as most aussies will be asleep for the last 6hrs of war
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    Also I hear what people are saying about the start times.. but every single alliance has 24 hours to complete the map... that is the same as before. They aren’t dictating which hours you want to use to do so.

if an entire BG is in the same / similar timezone it will be no issue at all....
    if the boss killers are from AUS it could be really band as most aussies will be asleep for the last 6hrs of war

Then don’t wait till the last 6 hours of war before opening the boss up. What happened to the 18 hours (and the 3 energy given once Attack phase starts) before the last 6 hours?
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,503 ★★★★★
    Sounds interesting can't wait to see how it plays out. Very excited!
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★
    Been critical of matchmaking in the past but I really like what is happening here. Thank you for just keeping it simple.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    @Kabam Miike can’t help but notice you’ve skipped over all concerns over the forced 7pm (GMT) start time that will cause problems for some alliances
  • TaintedTainted Posts: 15
    edited February 2019
    @Kabam Miike can’t help but notice you’ve skipped over all concerns over the forced 7pm (GMT) start time that will cause problems for some alliances
    Because they care too much. They either delete or skip whatever is not in their favor.
    We will end up spending 24/24h here or move to kabam hq just to be sure we get a match. Pathetic.

Not a big deal. Regardless of the start time, alliances still have 24 hours for attack phase. It doesn’t make a difference whether that 24 hours start at 7pm, or 7am.

The bulk of my alliance is from GMT+8 and AW starts at 2-3am for us. We still get the job done by 10pm every single time.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    xNig wrote: »

Not a big deal. Regardless of the start time, alliances still have 24 hours for attack phase. It doesn’t make a difference whether that 24 hours start at 7pm, or 7am.

The bulk of my alliance is from GMT+8 and AW starts at 2-3am for us. We still get the job done by 10pm every single time.

It’s not about when you get done. It’s about placement times. Take today as an example. I’m running my 4/55 Medusa in AQ from roughly 4pm ET until we clear tomorrow. Because we do matchmaking at 7pm, I’ll have a few hours after finishing AQ to place that Medusa as a defender.

The proposed system would require defenders to be locked at 2pm, so we would have to either ensure we clear early or risk playing without her.
    edited February 2019

Then don’t wait till the last 6 hours of war before opening the boss up. What happened to the 18 hours (and the 3 energy given once Attack phase starts) before the last 6 hours?

Lol dude....
    Dont think you understand the term “international alliance.
    So ....
    We have americans asleep.....
    Aussies are awake and waiting for americans to unlink us....
    Americans wake up but now it is like midnight in AUS and aussies are sleeping...
    War ends at 6am before us aussies wake up...

It goes like this.....
    Lunch time for aussies and europeans are asleep.
    Evening time for aussies and americans are asleep.
    Now coming to end of war and aussies are asleep.

Much much harder to co-ordinate bgs.
    When we could have war start / end 9-10am aussie time everyone is awake.
    Now it wont be.

See for example right now it is 1pm aussoe time.
    Maybe i have an american waiting to be unlinked by a sleeping european.
    The european wakes up but now the american is asleep.
    Me being the aussie is waiting for the american to unlink me.
    He wakes up but now i am asleep and cant finish my path before war ends.

What i am saying is it is going to be much much harder for international alliances.

@Kabam Miike did you guys think bout this??
    Only easy solution is to not be an international allinace....
    And thats not wat we want. We dont wanna have to kick peeps just to be able to do war

Then swap up the pathings so it's easier to coordinate.

If you get an Aussie and American to tag team to clear the middle lanes, that's on your path planning right?

For eg, because the bulk of my alliance is almost from the same timezone (GMT+8), we have the american/european guys help with Paths 1/3/9 first so when we are sleeping, they can still move efficiently. Then when we are awake (and they are sleeping), we finish up the remaining paths and coordinate to clear the middle. At around 10pm my time, the americans/europeans are awake and we take down the boss together.

Similarly, another BG has an European with predominantly GMT+8 members. He's asleep from 8am to 4-5pm my time. So he helps with the middle path (7-6), which means he can clear his first tier when he's awake, go to bed while the others start clearing the other paths to unlink him, wake up and come on to coordinate to clear the middle.

Like I said, it just takes just abit more planning on the pathing. You cannot expect changes to be made to accommodate your own alliance and yours only. For the greater good of the community (i.e. not needing to stay up late to start matchmaking, removing collusion and bad mismatches etc), these changes are needed.
  • SSGNick556SSGNick556 Posts: 26
    What about the current matchmaking system failing to match alliances and they end up missing wars during season as a result?! Like now. My alliance has been matchmaking for 2 hrs and nothing and now our season is screwed! This is BS!!
  • RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Posts: 1,003 ★★★
    So now wars are gonna start at 7am, same as my job? This isnt good. Nice try though.
    SSGNick556 wrote: »
    What about the current matchmaking system failing to match alliances and they end up missing wars during season as a result?! Like now. My alliance has been matchmaking for 2 hrs and nothing and now our season is screwed! This is BS!!

This system was put in place exactly to combat that. Read the announcement.
    So now wars are gonna start at 7am, same as my job? This isnt good. Nice try though.

Spend energy when it starts. Don’t fight if it’s inconvenient. Clear during lunch break, clear after work, check after dinner, check before going to bed. What’s the issue?
  • MavRCK_MavRCK_ Posts: 467 ★★★
    @Kabam Miike

Great job on this new system. Thank you.

Is there any plan to address shell alliances which are swapped to and from after seasons? How about removing an alliance’s rating and resetting to 1500 when they have been unused or tanked? Look at the number of shell alliances in the top 100 rating. This cheating needs to stop.
    edited February 2019

Lol dude....
    Dont think you understand the term “international alliance.
    So ....
    We have americans asleep.....
    Aussies are awake and waiting for americans to unlink us....
    Americans wake up but now it is like midnight in AUS and aussies are sleeping...
    War ends at 6am before us aussies wake up...

It goes like this.....
    Lunch time for aussies and europeans are asleep.
    Evening time for aussies and americans are asleep.
    Now coming to end of war and aussies are asleep.

Much much harder to co-ordinate bgs.
    When we could have war start / end 9-10am aussie time everyone is awake.
    Now it wont be.

See for example right now it is 1pm aussoe time.
    Maybe i have an american waiting to be unlinked by a sleeping european.
    The european wakes up but now the american is asleep.
    Me being the aussie is waiting for the american to unlink me.
    He wakes up but now i am asleep and cant finish my path before war ends.

What i am saying is it is going to be much much harder for international alliances.

@Kabam Miike did you guys think bout this??
    Only easy solution is to not be an international allinace....
    And thats not wat we want. We dont wanna have to kick peeps just to be able to do war

Then swap up the pathings so it's easier to coordinate.

If you get an Aussie and American to tag team to clear the middle lanes, that's on your path planning right?

For eg, because the bulk of my alliance is almost from the same timezone (GMT+8), we have the american/european guys help with Paths 1/3/9 first so when we are sleeping, they can still move efficiently. Then when we are awake (and they are sleeping), we finish up the remaining paths and coordinate to clear the middle. At around 10pm my time, the americans/europeans are awake and we take down the boss together.

Similarly, another BG has an European with predominantly GMT+8 members. He's asleep from 8am to 4-5pm my time. So he helps with the middle path (7-6), which means he can clear his first tier when he's awake, go to bed while the others start clearing the other paths to unlink him, wake up and come on to coordinate to clear the middle.

Like I said, it just takes just abit more planning on the pathing. You cannot expect changes to be made to accommodate your own alliance and yours only. For the greater good of the community (i.e. not needing to stay up late to start matchmaking, removing collusion and bad mismatches etc), these changes are needed.

It sure as hell makes things alot harder. Esp when people have lives too.
    Also not everyone has he right champs/skill for certain paths so they have the path they are best at.
    Now we need to spend hours and hours restructuring our bgs and maybe finding replacments and hopint that people can complete their new path assignments.
    We play this game for fun and this just further adds to the stress level of war and means tha now we are going to have to be very demanding of peoples times.

Yes we needed changes but you cannot ignore the fact that this change very adversly affects international allies.

My bg1 which is all gmt +8 and +10 will finish in about 12 hrs.
    My other 2 bgs are going to really really struggle now just because of timing.

Also gmt makes it alot better too cus as you say americans are awake at 10pm ur time. Thats not until midnight in my timezone.
    Thats a huge difference.

You cannot deny the fact that this makes things alot harder for alot of people and there may very well be alot of alliances that struggle to complete due to this.

There could have been these chamges made and had the option of 2-3 different start / finish times. Or the attack window could be increased to 30 hours.
    That way there is more time that removes this stress and wars will still be completed in the same timeframe as they are now.

Just because it is ok for you doesnt mean it is ok for everyone.
    @xNig look at the amount of comments here saying the timing is an issue. Does that not show you it is an issue for many people.
    everyone should work together.
    The game should allow flexibility in your life.

Keep the timing as they plan to but reduce / remove linked nodes.
    Have only links linking minis.
    That way pths can be taken as peeps are available but bosses still cant be cleared till everyone is done.
    Surely this has gotta benifit everyone.
    @Kabam Miike is removing linked nodes on paths something that can be looked at?
    That way everyone gets the benifit of these improvements but without potential timezpne issues
  • Grandpajb50Grandpajb50 Posts: 13
    I don’t like the idea of starting wars at 11am pst.

That is time when most people in my alliance are either at work, in school, or sleeping (because they either work graveyard shift or evening to middle of the night).

Most of wars we’ve done have been started around 5pm pst because that time fits best with the largest number of our members.

Most of our members are in USA though we have at least one in UK and in the past we have had members in Australia and India too.

Starting wars at 11am will mean vast majority of our members won’t be able to fight in wars for several hours after they begin nor for several hours before they end.