**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Description in Sabertooth's ability

Comments

• CoatHang3r wrote: »
    Lormif wrote: »
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    Mjolinar wrote: »
    I don’t know what is more annoying: RDT requests, nerf brand new content/champs requests, or this rabbit hole of trying to get every description of every champ or ability that may be a bit ambiguous changed.

This is something that wouldn’t be a thing for us to request if a proofreader took a look at abilities and edited for clarity and accuracy before they went live.
    It’s self evident people understood the meaning as this is the first time Sabretooth’s decriptions have been challenged since he’s been in the contest for a year and crystals for 9 months. It’s pedant outrage culture malarky. Not saying that’s a bad thing cause it is funny/trolly as all hell.

Now if it was 4 or 5 they would’ve wrote that, common sense tells people it’s 3 to 6 charges. It requires a serious/willing reasoning failure to think otherwise and really people are fine without the lowest common denominator being catered to.

Because it is only 4 numbers it is reasonable to assume that they meant to include all numbers, because otherwise they would have just made a simpler or statement. On the other hand if the number range is larger that assumption goes away.

That being said it is not unreasonable to want something that is literally incorrect to be fixed. This mentality has lead to the colloquial use of the word "literally" of "figuratively" to be added to the dictionary and that just makes harder for us all to communicate clearly.
    Literally the word would need to be inbetween to make the arguments stand up as that is the term used to exclude the end points from a range of options. Between covers the end points in nearly every common usage of the word, hell it’s even in the dictionary description.

That's most definitely not true. Is three between three and six? In common English settings most people would say no. What is between the black cookie layers of an Oreo cookie? How many houses between your house and the house on the corner? Is that inclusive?

The actual generality is that the word "between" usually includes the end points when what is being discussed is a continuum range. For example, "between three and six o'clock" means any moment in time from three o'clock to six o'clock inclusively. But it usually excludes the end points when what is being discussed is relationships. Four is between three and six because it is to the right of three and the left of six on the number line. Three is not between three and six because that same relationship doesn't exist.

The ambiguity here is that "between three and six" *sounds* like a range on the surface, except we know the only meaningful values are whole numbers. That means that range is actually a tiny set of individual numbers, and now looks less like a continuum and more like a set and "between" seems less like it denotes a range and more like it distinguishes relationships among members of a set.

The word "in" in the phrase "in between" doesn't explicitly denote any English meaning: it is the English equivalent of syntactic sugar.
    So if a train runs between New York and Maine then it doesn’t include New York or Maine, got it, wait...

Actually, it is generally understood that this is an ambiguity of English (and many languages). We board the train in New York. The train runs within the interval between New York and Maine, and it stops in Maine. Is it running in Maine or is it stopping in Maine? The answer is that is not a question with a precise answer in normal English. Especially because "Maine" is a location when talking about the entire map of the United States, but isn't a specific location when talking about something the size of a train.

You are exiting the realm of discussing the semantics of English and entering the realm of discussing the philosophy of Zeno's paradoxes.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Marri_2 wrote: »
    It must be specific to english then, cause translated to other languages does include those number's. I know what you're talking about and still I can say that they are included, simply because how it's worded. It doesn't exclude those numbers, is a close interval

Nope, dunno what language you speak but I speak 4 languages and it's the same in all 4...does not include the outer limits. English, Dutch, Herman, French...so even languages from different families treat this the same.

I feel this is one of the word crime in the category:

https://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc
    So this common sentence would exlude 6 and 12 in your world? To me it says 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12.

“The competition is open to children between six and twelve years of age.”
  • Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★
    edited February 2019
    It must be specific to english then, cause translated to other languages does include those number's. I know what you're talking about and still I can say that they are included, simply because how it's worded. It doesn't exclude those numbers, is a close interval

Nope, dunno what language you speak but I speak 4 languages and it's the same in all 4...does not include the outer limits. English, Dutch, Herman, French...so even languages from different families treat this the same.

So this common sentence would exlude 6 and 12 in your world? To me it says 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12.

Then you are incorrect, technically. In colloquial use this might be used, but that does not make it correct. The description in champ abilities should be both correct and unambiguous.

https://www.quora.com/English-Grammar-Does-between-two-numbers-a-and-b-include-a-and-b-themselves

• LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    bah
    edited February 2019

Then you are incorrect, technically. In colloquial use this might be used, but that does not make it correct. The description in champ abilities should be both correct and unambiguous.
    That would make the Cambridge dictionary incorrect. ;)

preposition....
    just like the prepostion used to show the value of the noun “prestiant charges”.

• V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    Wow. When I first saw this post I had no idea it would spiral like this. This isn’t even about the game anymore.

That would make the Cambridge dictionary in correct. ;)

preposition....
    just like the prepostion used to show the value of the noun “prestiant charges”.
    You are correct, it is an adverb, and you are incorrect, it would exclude, but people have grown to speak improperly and allow it to be used.
    What is between the earth and the sun? is it the sun, earth and space?
    What is between atoms? is it the atoms?

As has been stated sometimes people have colloquial meanings for words they mean that is generally understood, that does not mean those meanings are correct, and it can lead to ambiguity. Again because this range is only 4 numbers, between is understood, because it it would be silly otherwise, but in your range it would not be and your statement would be ambiguous to the point where it could be [6,12] or (6,12).

Go to any math, programming or English teacher and tell them that, you will get it counted wrong.

That would make the Cambridge dictionary incorrect. ;)

preposition....

Wow, throwing in a authority to persuade without checking the source.

Here's what Cambridge Dictionary actually says:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/between?q=Between

Specifically for this case:

If something is between two amounts, it is greater than the first amount but smaller than the second:

- She weighs between 55 and 60 kilograms.
    - The competition is open to children between six and twelve years of age.
    - The room was either extremely cold or hot, never anything in between (= in the middle).

Your own example is between examples 1 and 3, under the definition that "it is greater than the first and smaller than the second", meaning not equal to, meaning not inclusive.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    l5vbo1hj7hzj.gif
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    So if a train runs between New York and Maine then it doesn’t include New York or Maine, got it, wait...

Actually, it is generally understood that this is an ambiguity of English (and many languages). We board the train in New York. The train runs within the interval between New York and Maine, and it stops in Maine. Is it running in Maine or is it stopping in Maine? The answer is that is not a question with a precise answer in normal English. Especially because "Maine" is a location when talking about the entire map of the United States, but isn't a specific location when talking about something the size of a train.

You are exiting the realm of discussing the semantics of English and entering the realm of discussing the philosophy of Zeno's paradoxes.
    So do not get on that train if New York or Maine is your destination because you’re not able to disembark at either, got it.

But to go with the semantics of your argument if a bus runs bewtween 7am and 9PM you’re screwed if you need to board at 7am and unable to use it at 9 o’clock. Beware folks.

No that’s not how it works. FFS bewteen is commonly used to include the end points. Stores don’t open at 7am and close at 9pm but say thier hours of operation are between 6 and 10.

So do not get on that train if New York or Maine is your destination because you’re not able to disembark at either, got it.

Not only is that not what I said, but it does more to discredit your command of English than anything I can say.
    Now you are just trolling. The evidence is given to you. You don't deliver any objective evidence, but refuse to admit you were wrong (which is not a weakness...). We can't debate like this, good day sir.

But to go with the semantics of your argument if a bus runs bewtween 7am and 9PM you’re screwed if you need to board at 7am and unable to use it at 9 o’clock. Beware folks.

No that’s not how it works. FFS bewteen is commonly used to include the end points. Stores don’t open at 7am and close at 9pm but say thier hours of operation are between 6 and 10.

Just because something is commonly used that way does not make it correct, again literally is commonly used as figuratively:

"I just literally did that"

Those phases used to be "from 7am to 9pm", but between is typically ok here because we do not generally count time in just hours, but in minutes and even seconds, and people do not generally open at 7:01. It is ambiguous, but not unreasonably so.

Your own example is between examples 1 and 3, under the definition that "it is greater than the first and smaller than the second", meaning not equal to, meaning not inclusive.
    Clearly not as children ages 6 and 12 are included in the competition. Hell a kid could be 12.999 and still be included yet greater than 12. Pedantry and semantics.

Clearly not as children ages 6 and 12 are included in the competition. Hell a kid could be 12.999 and still be included yet greater than 12. Pedantry and semantics.

Semantics are the most important part of a conversation, and no, 12.999, nor 6 would be included unless you are using the word outside of the defined meaning, which is, as you stated, commonly done. It does not make it correct, just able to mostly understand.
  • Lormif wrote: »
    Those phases used to be "from 7am to 9pm", but between is typically ok here because we do not generally count time in just hours, but in minutes and even seconds, and people do not generally open at 7:01. It is ambiguous, but not unreasonably so.

"Open from 7am to 9pm inclusively" and "Open from 7am to 9pm exclusively" mean literally the same thing in real world terms, since it is impossible for any human being to do anything at exactly 7am or exactly 9pm. You cannot enter or exit a store at exactly 7am.

Not only is that not what I said, but it does more to discredit your command of English than anything I can say.
    Well then explain it to me like I’m five rather than being insulting. ;)

I’lll referee his one, usage of ad hom, point goes to coat.

Well then explain it to me like I’m five rather than being insulting. ;)

I’lll referee his one, usage of ad hom, point goes to coat.

Right after your loss of 10 points for continued strawmen?

"Open from 7am to 9pm inclusively" and "Open from 7am to 9pm exclusively" mean literally the same thing in real world terms, since it is impossible for any human being to do anything at exactly 7am or exactly 9pm. You cannot enter or exit a store at exactly 7am.

You can enter a store at exactly 7am, you are just unlikely to, because 7:00:00 is a real time, 6:59:60 is 7am. What you cannot do is open a store at 7 and have someone enter at the same time, in a traditional sense.

Interesting, instead of offering any evidence you resort to powerful and denigrating language. Because you are using 'semantics' in way that shows your disapproval of semantics. Yet semantics is a valid field within linguistics and is at the core of this discussion.

Shows me that your understanding of 'semantics' is about as accurate as your understanding of 'between'.

Just because something is commonly used that way does not make it correct, again literally is commonly used as figuratively:

Again semantics but to play along. “No that’s not how it works. FFS bewteen isalso used to include the end points.” Stores don’t open at 7am and close at 9pm but say thier hours of operation are between 6 and 10.

The hours include 7 but exclude anything after 9 just like ST.

There you go.

These deabtes always remind me of https://youtu.be/N4vf8N6GpdM

Interesting, instead of offering any evidence you resort to powerful and denigrating language. Because you are using 'semantics' in way that shows your disapproval of semantics. Yet semantics is a valid field within linguistics and is at the core of this discussion.

Shows me that your understanding of 'semantics' is about as accurate as your understanding of 'between'.
    When in Rome. It also helps people understand how it’s wrong when they have to disprove you and themselves to make the argument stand.

Again semantics but to play along. “No that’s not how it works. FFS bewteen isalso used to include the end points.” Stores don’t open at 7am and close at 9pm but say thier hours of operation are between 6 and 10.

There you go.

You are, again using the word colloquially, not literally. This has already been addressed multiple times. The proper sentence for that would be we are open FROM 7am to 9pm.

There you go.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry, but my 15yo students would pick your points and argumentation apart.
    So

There you go.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry, but my 15yo students would pick your points and argumentation apart.
    People under your tutelage would follow your reasoning? What does that prove when the tutor is in the wrong to begin with?

When in Rome. It also helps people understand how it’s wrong when they have to disprove you and themselves to make the argument stand.

Nothing to understand, it's a rule that can be applied. I have given you 2 sources. Read them.

• BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,256 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    This is just like when people say supposebly, nucular, or hyperbowl. Understood, but incorrect and easily fixed if one cares to try even a little.

If these annoying text errors (ultimately it is an error whether people can assume what they mean or not) could be cleaned up and not make it into the live versions that would be nice. It would probably eliminate half of the posts in the forum if they did, but it would still be nice.
    So

There you go.

People under your tutelage would follow your reasoning? What does that prove when the tutor is in the wrong to begin with?

Where was I wrong?
    edited February 2019

Nothing to understand, it's a rule that can be applied. I have given you 2 sources. Read them.
    Arguing with 3 people, give me the cliff notes.

P.S. the first sentance was evidence you choose to ignore, likely due to the bias blinding you.
  • Lormif wrote: »
    You can enter a store at exactly 7am, you are just unlikely to, because 7:00:00 is a real time, 6:59:60 is 7am.

You can't enter a store at exactly 7am, because entering a store is a process, and all real world processes take more than zero time. You can be standing in front of the door at exactly 7am, because standing is (in this context) not a dynamical process.

Technically entry is a process with a start and end time, however short. And if it takes three seconds then if you start *at* 7am you end at 7:00:03. If, however, you start at the earliest possible time that *isn't* 7am because the store excludes 7am from its opening hours, you still end at 7:00:03.

Colloquially, nobody cares what happens at the exact moment of 7am. But the moment someone gets technical, then technically it *still* doesn't matter what happens at the exact moment of 7am.
This discussion has been closed.