**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Parry Possibly Not Always Firing?

Comments

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    MattMan wrote: »
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    MattMan wrote: »
    Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Hi @DorkLessons,

Thanks again for the video. The team has taken a look at it and wanted to share some insight. As you know, Parry is very timing specific and the timing window to activate it is extremely small. How it works is that after the player presses block, a small timing window begins that will allow Parry to trigger. If an attack is blocked during this very small window, the Parry will activate.

To prevent spamming block to activate Parry without skilled timing by the player, another short timer is in place that will not allow Parry to activate if the player blocks again within that window.

The very specific timing required to activate Parry is why you may see results like those in your video.

Hope that helps to explain!

But WHEN WAS IT CHANGED. You nicely skirted that issue.
    9/17 😂qbwbk6l6zvis.jpeg
    If you really do believe that’s the last time it was changed....feel bad for you bro.
    Such strong evidence you have. 😂

• daveyj_196_daveyj_196_ Posts: 437
    Kabam Lyra, I don't like your explanation of the 'window' Tell me how continuously spamming parry is judged plse. For instance is AA stun parry heavy game play spamming? Is Hype stun parry heavy to build furies spamming? These are well known tactics used in the game. Changing the mechanics to prevent this happening is pretty much a silent nerf.... and not a 'fix.
  • SwansongSwansong Posts: 40
    Just done in the hard EQ ,managed to land about 5 all up mainly took hits . My team rating 37000 tried to parry over 100 times but at least I didn’t get the connection error message that time .
  • MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    I think parry timing varies alot depending on who you are facing and who you are fighting with.
    Due to both the attack and blocking animations.

All that being said....
    I did a test of my own the other night to test how much fighting is timing rather than reaction.
    I closed my eyes during an arena fight.
    Left sound on so i could hear parries.
    And i parried and 5 hit comboed 5 times in a row. And then got hit by a sp3.
    My point is that timing is everything. And i feel that my parry timing must be excellent if i am able to literally parry with my eyes closed.

there were time when i felt i had missed a parry and was blaming the game however now reading kabams response here i know that is due to hitting and releasing block to bait a dash, and then instantly attempting the parry.

a lot of parry problems are device based in my experience.
    i rarely have problems on iphone 8 plus...
    but onmy partners older ipad air 2 i find its harder to parry due to slight lag and framerate delays. it makes it so wat looks to be visually the right time to parry is actually not the correct time to parry. it is already too late.
    on android / older iOs devices i find the need to not rely on the visuals to get the right timing as frames get dropped and instead rely more on muscle memory and sound.
    here are two fights i recorded just now.
    the fight against Mephisto you can see i easily make every parry i attempt.

the fight against Sparky you can see two missed parries occur.
    on is where i completely mistime and miss the block entirely.
    the other is when i attempt to parry very quickly after previously hitting block.
    i feel this one had the exact correct timing and should have been parry however was not due to the timer between attempted parries.

https://youtu.be/Ih7dJlhSgrg

https://youtu.be/kft9TsfEwqU

edited February 2019
    I find my parry timing near perfect on iphone 8 plus.
    using other devices i see there can be an issue which leads me to see it as a device / framerate issue.
    all i can suggest to peeps is upgrade your device to a newer one and it should be better.
    just like you need a newer computer for newer game you need a newer phone for newer games.
    (mcoc may not be brand new itself but with the constant updates and additions it recieves it requires more and more power and space to run)

https://youtu.be/x_UbO6P0GTQ
  • StvDamitStvDamit Posts: 55

Hi @DorkLessons,

The very specific timing required to activate Parry is why you may see results like those in your video.

Hope that helps to explain!

Hi Lyra. To get more to the point that I think everyone is trying to address, can you please positively verify with the relevant developer team the EFFECTIVE TIMING WINDOW FOR PARRYING HAS NOT BEEN DECREASED? Thats all everyone really needs to know. Thank you in advance.
  • RJustice_209RJustice_209 Posts: 213 ★★
    MaatMan wrote: »
    I find my parry timing near perfect on iphone 8 plus.
    using other devices i see there can be an issue which leads me to see it as a device / framerate issue.
    all i can suggest to peeps is upgrade your device to a newer one and it should be better.
    just like you need a newer computer for newer game you need a newer phone for newer games.
    (mcoc may not be brand new itself but with the constant updates and additions it recieves it requires more and more power and space to run)

https://youtu.be/x_UbO6P0GTQ

Arena is ok. Try harder content like AQ map5 or uncollected eq. Seems the higher the pi, the smaller the window.
  • StarhawkStarhawk Posts: 614 ★★★
    i complained about this last week....
  • Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    I believe it’s the block that’s also not registering correctly. Actually all the left side of the screen is shady. No dash back pressing block nothing happens.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    Hi @DorkLessons,

To prevent spamming block to activate Parry without skilled timing by the player, another short timer is in place that will not allow Parry to activate if the player blocks again within that window.

Thanks for the rapid response, Lyra.

This attempt to avoid unskilled spamming of block would be fair enough if mcoc hadn’t become so extremely laggy or if controls weren’t randomly being unresponsive too frequently (taps for blocking, dash attack or dash back not registering at all which leads to multiple, increasingly frustrated taps). If a player is skilled enough to adjust block to account for lag (or for the weird stutter step the AI has introduced - which is itself another issue) they get penalised. If the game is dropping frame rates the player gets penalised. The game is responsible for the lag, frame rate drop (or stutter step) in the first place. The team need to have a closer look at this and develop some way to make this work for the players because the recent changes are not working for us. It’s no good developing the game for ideal conditions when almost your entire player base is not experiencing anything close to those conditions. And yes I am blaming lag, frame rate for this situation but that might not even be the most salient reason this is not working, not even for the most skilled members of the community.

Doesn’t the game run locally on your device?
    https://youtu.be/5voX9qE_Mkg

No idea what y’all are talking about. Most of the time it’s on the user that parry doesn’t really work properly.
    Cyzada wrote: »
    This is the last straw.

For years I have been enjoying this game, but this is just unacceptable. If I was still on iOS I might have continued, but I completely switched to Android for "reasons" That made me re-learn how to play this game, because IT IS different on the two operating systems.

This makes the game completely unplayable on my devices, it was totally fine with 21.2 and now with 21.3...

The issue is that Android devices react slightly SLOWER than iOS devices (10-50 ms) and the main part of that problem is that inconsistency, now with 21.2 and earlier the "parry window" was larger (more forgiving), but with 21.3 it is not as forgiving.

To successfully Parry, the Player need to have the game react between the start of the animation of the punch until it actually inflict damage, this differs from champion to champion, even if sometimes animation-wise the hit would land but you would still Parry, but that is fine. What is NOT fine, is when you start fiddling with this without proper testing about acceptability across all devices. On Android, since it is a bit inconsistent about requiring more time to react to inputs, you need to tap Block really early and this worked prior to 21.3. Now however you need to tap Block (depending on the opponent) sometimes BEFORE ANY of the animation of said punch, to successfully Parry.

Since I cannot see into the future and I most definitely will never buy another Apple device, I will not be playing this game anymore.

Kabam: This is your game, and you may change it without notifying the players, it says so in the EULA, but please be aware of issues like this in the future.

I play on my iPhone 8+ and my Razer phone for my other account as well. Yes there are noticeable timing differences between iPhone and Android but putting the blame on Kabam for a device issue doesn’t seem right ya?

I’m 100% sure Kabam doesn’t say, in their development office, “alright let’s screw over android users! narrow their parry windows by 0.05s and make their frame rates lag.”

This just doesn’t make good business sense.

No. We all know how to time a parry.

I think this might be the issue. I’m not saying my parries are perfect but sometimes when I’m tired after a long day at work, or just not in the right frame of mind and have to do a fight, my timings go off.

Parries/Evades/Intercepts etc that I feel should be successful (because they do 90% of the time) fail. You just need to come to terms that we aren’t perfect and will slip up on the most basic things that we FEEL that we are very good at.
    Kabam Lyra, I don't like your explanation of the 'window' Tell me how continuously spamming parry is judged plse. For instance is AA stun parry heavy game play spamming? Is Hype stun parry heavy to build furies spamming? These are well known tactics used in the game. Changing the mechanics to prevent this happening is pretty much a silent nerf.... and not a 'fix.

I believe Lyra means to rapidly tap your block the same way most of the playerbase taps the right side of their screen when they attack, “like their lives depended on it”.
  • RJustice_209RJustice_209 Posts: 213 ★★
    xNig wrote: »

I think this might be the issue. I’m not saying my parries are perfect but sometimes when I’m tired after a long day at work, or just not in the right frame of mind and have to do a fight, my timings go off.

Parries/Evades/Intercepts etc that I feel should be successful (because they do 90% of the time) fail. You just need to come to terms that we aren’t perfect and will slip up on the most basic things that we FEEL that we are very good at.

Same...but it is considerably worse this patch. In duels or pvp, not so much an issue. So test it on AQ. Most of us do have problems with it...not all, but seems most Android users do.
    edited February 2019

Same...but it is considerably worse this patch. In duels or pvp, not so much an issue. So test it on AQ. Most of us do have problems with it...not all, but seems most Android users do.

Yeah I’ll record a few fights in AQ tml and see.

Oh btw, how do people screen record on Android? Lol
  • ManChildManChild Posts: 608 ★★★
    Something definitely is off with parry. I just hope more people post evidence of it.
    https://youtu.be/WIkWN6RUWvU

Just did 2 fights for AQ. Seems working fine to me.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    https://youtu.be/WIkWN6RUWvU

Just did 2 fights for AQ. Seems working fine to me.
    Kabam’s posted they have not changed anything. If nothing changed to parry itself then trying to prove nothing’s changed isn’t going to do much for those who “believe” it has. The burden of proof is on them, and it’s a huge burden because there are so many factors a simple screen recording cannot account for.

It’s important to note that parry is dependant on timing which can be altered by the user/device and has an anti spam mechanic to it. These leave a multitude of possible causes for what people are experiencing; to name a few screen protectors, device malfunction, device lag, and user error. For instance my old ipad developed “insensitivity” and lag on one side of the screen after about 18mos of usage; if i didn’t account for my device then what’s left for me to do other than blame the game.

This discussion has been closed.