**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Witness the Great Revival! Act 6 Chapter 1 - Coming March 13th

Comments

• MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

MaatMan said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the discussion on this topic. There’s been a lot of constructive feedback and thoughts, and it’s been valuable to us for considerations and internal discussion. We wanted to be clearer with our intentions, and better clarify why we want to do this and how it aligns with our past direction in the game.

This is not the first time we’ve hard-gated something behind a form of progression. We use gates liberally, oftentimes to prevent players from having frustrating experiences in content beyond their capabilities, but also because we’re game developers and we have some intended play experiences in mind that we--through both iteration and personal gameplay experience--believe smooth out the ride and make the whole thing as enjoyable as possible.

At level 50-60, it's easy to forget that for much of an early player’s experience they are bumping into padlock icons all over the quests menu:

- A multitude of our arenas cannot be played without specific Champion rarities, and to be competitive requires a lot of them.
    - Normal and Heroic difficulty event quests are locked behind levels 12 and 25, respectively.
    - Master was, for a long time, gated monthly behind the 100% exploration of its Heroic counterpart.
    - Uncollected difficulty requires not only reaching level 40, but completion of Act 5, Chapter 2.
    - Even entering Beginner asks you to be level 6!

And this is just looking at the monthly event quests. Dungeons need you to have a sizeable count of certain rarities before you can access the very same ones. Side Quests follow similar locking mechanics to the Monthly Events, and we’ve used gating methods both inter-quest (Dimensional Rifts and their shards) and more explicit (Danger Rooms rarity requirements, the current Recon Missions) to craft a specifically targeted experience or to more tightly tune the content we’re making.

On the topic of tuning, that is our goal when using more stringent requirements in quests. Back Issues #1 used this explicitly with the Class requirements; we did this so we could build areas in each quest where lesser-used Champions could stand out--Hawkeye’s power drain capabilities in Chapter 1, Quest 1, for example--and be important for strategy where they normally would not. We’re aiming to do similar things in Back Issues #2, with a different approach. (More on that soon!)

One reason we do this is because of how progression changes over time. Once you’ve achieved Level 60, we lose a numerical value of your time and experience in the game. The gap between a fresh 60 and a veteran 60 can be massive, just like in many other MMO games. One of the best ways we have to continue using those gates as both protective and progression measure is targeting the baseline strength and breadth of your roster.

Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.

Lastly, this is permanent content. When we place strict requirements on a Side Quest, it’s a gold rush; there’s only ~30 days to build or enhance a team for the quest in question, and it can be a real crunch to get it done. (I myself am going to have a hell of a time with the Avengers leg of the Recon Missions.) Act 6 is going to be around forever. If you can’t get into it right away, that’s alright. It’ll wait for you!

Again I appreciate the discussion around this, and when we say we’re taking your feedback we mean it. When there are lots of opinions and discourse around a topic like this, we take it seriously. I’ve already had two meetings today to chat about it with a variety of teams. I hope my points better explain our stance on gating content, and why we feel comfortable doing it here in the way we are.

i get exactly everything you are saying
    but
    is 4* gates really the right way?
    was the challenger rating suggestion we saw before not a better and more practical idea?

the problem people have is not the fact it is gated.
    just the way in which it has been decided to gate it.
    If the gates were put in with challenge rating rather than star rating, they would almost certainly have been put in at CR110, not CR100. The 5*/6* gate is almost certainly a compromise between higher tier and rank up necessities. With the gate at 5*/6*, you can still use 5* champions that aren't ranked up for things like synergies, and you can use specialty champs that are still strong enough at lower ranks. With the gate at CR110, you can't. If you set the gate to CR100, that essentially opens the floodgates to all 4* champs, and the gate ceases to be a strong enough gate to be meaningful.
    i dunno if you are entirely correct.
    you would still have needed to to rank your 4* to rank 5 which lower players are not gunna have many of.
    i mean i have many more 5* than i do 5/50 4* thats for sure.
    i mean i dunno.

as you can see from all my posts i can see why kabam have done it
    i can see also why people dont like it.
    i myself dont like it.
    but it is wat it is.
    i just think that there could have potentially been a better option.
    if we had more levels then that could have worked.
    like say 12 months ago if the cap was raised to lvl 70 and then they decide only lvl 70 can do it. that could have been a viable option.

it is wat it is.
    personally where i am at i dunno if i am gunna do act 6 straight up anyway.
    i have 100% act 5.
    but i still have yet to do a single LOL path and i have not touched Ultrons Assault Varient yet.
    with this hinting at back issues #2 i feel like i am gunna wanna crack out back issues #1.
    but i dunno.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★

I know I sound like a broken record but please release the 5-Star Abomination; MODOK needs the “Cubicle Mates,” synergy because without it he can’t use suicides. This reduces his damage output by over a 3rd, stops him from regenerating health, and doubles incoming poison damage. That’s harsh man... Real harsh.

I've seen you mention that several times. I'm guessing you took him to R5?
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★
    edited March 2019

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the discussion on this topic. There’s been a lot of constructive feedback and thoughts, and it’s been valuable to us for considerations and internal discussion. We wanted to be clearer with our intentions, and better clarify why we want to do this and how it aligns with our past direction in the game.

This is not the first time we’ve hard-gated something behind a form of progression. We use gates liberally, oftentimes to prevent players from having frustrating experiences in content beyond their capabilities, but also because we’re game developers and we have some intended play experiences in mind that we--through both iteration and personal gameplay experience--believe smooth out the ride and make the whole thing as enjoyable as possible.

At level 50-60, it's easy to forget that for much of an early player’s experience they are bumping into padlock icons all over the quests menu:

- A multitude of our arenas cannot be played without specific Champion rarities, and to be competitive requires a lot of them.
    - Normal and Heroic difficulty event quests are locked behind levels 12 and 25, respectively.
    - Master was, for a long time, gated monthly behind the 100% exploration of its Heroic counterpart.
    - Uncollected difficulty requires not only reaching level 40, but completion of Act 5, Chapter 2.
    - Even entering Beginner asks you to be level 6!

And this is just looking at the monthly event quests. Dungeons need you to have a sizeable count of certain rarities before you can access the very same ones. Side Quests follow similar locking mechanics to the Monthly Events, and we’ve used gating methods both inter-quest (Dimensional Rifts and their shards) and more explicit (Danger Rooms rarity requirements, the current Recon Missions) to craft a specifically targeted experience or to more tightly tune the content we’re making.

On the topic of tuning, that is our goal when using more stringent requirements in quests. Back Issues #1 used this explicitly with the Class requirements; we did this so we could build areas in each quest where lesser-used Champions could stand out--Hawkeye’s power drain capabilities in Chapter 1, Quest 1, for example--and be important for strategy where they normally would not. We’re aiming to do similar things in Back Issues #2, with a different approach. (More on that soon!)

One reason we do this is because of how progression changes over time. Once you’ve achieved Level 60, we lose a numerical value of your time and experience in the game. The gap between a fresh 60 and a veteran 60 can be massive, just like in many other MMO games. One of the best ways we have to continue using those gates as both protective and progression measure is targeting the baseline strength and breadth of your roster.

Act 6 (and other content) is built with specific challenges in mind. The requirement of 5 and 6-Stars is a broader application of the idea, but it allows us to build a more tightly-constructed experience around a more specific box of playstyles. Making one-size fits all content for an immense player toolbox can lead to things being more watered down and general, rather than the specific moments we can make when we know the lower and upper limits of each player as a matter of fact.

Lastly, this is permanent content. When we place strict requirements on a Side Quest, it’s a gold rush; there’s only ~30 days to build or enhance a team for the quest in question, and it can be a real crunch to get it done. (I myself am going to have a hell of a time with the Avengers leg of the Recon Missions.) Act 6 is going to be around forever. If you can’t get into it right away, that’s alright. It’ll wait for you!

Again I appreciate the discussion around this, and when we say we’re taking your feedback we mean it. When there are lots of opinions and discourse around a topic like this, we take it seriously. I’ve already had two meetings today to chat about it with a variety of teams. I hope my points better explain our stance on gating content, and why we feel comfortable doing it here in the way we are.

Can this be place in the News & Announcement section? It is buried under this massive thread.
  • bdawg923bdawg923 Posts: 752 ★★★★
    Level locking summoners out of content is not the same thing as synergy locking champs out of content
  • Wakandas_FinestWakandas_Finest Posts: 811 ★★★★
    My problem with the 4* gate isn't about synergies its about counters and utilities. I've never relied on synergies with my 4*s but some have invaluable utility and are natural counters to some of the games most money grubbing content. I have 8 6* champs and 60+ 5* and not a one of them is bleed immune so now instead of using my 4* versions of bleed immune champs I will be forced to wait to complete a Caltrops or bio hazard path until rngesus blesses me with 5* champs. Ill have to throw untold potions/units at Magik with 4k+ attack because I can't use my 4* blade. My 4* medusa saved me untold number of revives against act 5 ultron as did my 4* Iceman against mephisto and stun immune Spiderman. I'm now even more at the mercy of RNG than I have been at any point since I have been playing this game.
  • JimmyJohnJonesJimmyJohnJones Posts: 81
    edited March 2019
    @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Wolf
    can you clarify if the 4* restriction is just for chapter 1 or all of act 6? Might help to assuage some of the angst if we know it’s only one chapter.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,033 ★★★★★
    Not eve fair to half the cumianty. If we aren’t alow to use 4 star mean 5 star shouldn’t be alow either Wales only rank4 becasse a 5:50 4 star is better that rank1 and 2 so danm annoying you prettying much saying if u don’t hav the moneys you srewav out of that goal I’m don’t think it hurt me personally but ikow a lot it hurt one so get out of the bubble and alow 4 star instand of a be a company show us you lissing
  • Why there is restrictions for 4* champ??
    And if you were going to restrict 4* then why are you selling that damn 4* ???
    Many people in community don't have good 5* champion including myself the. What should do??
    just quit the game.
    This is most BS I have ever seen ever since patch 12.0
    i dont get this whole mnoney grab greed thing.

simple.
    dont buy the crystals.
    dont buy revives.
    just dont spend.
    wait till you have wat is needed and do it without spending,
    dont do it at all,
    or quit.

they are a buisness and need to make money yeah.
    and they will look for ways to make money.
    but **** me, noone is pointing a gun at your head and making you spend.

they aint getting my money to buy crystals for FGMC. i never ever will.
    i only ever buy crystals for rare 2*.
    **** wasting my money on some BS pie in the sky chance of getting a 5* GOD.
    so how can they possibly be grabbing my money by doing this.
    SIMPLE
    THEY CANT

can you clarify if the 4* restriction is just for chapter 1 or all of act 6? Might help to assuage some of the angst if we know it’s only one chapter.

I actually wondered this myself.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,033 ★★★★★

I actually wondered this myself.
    I’m pretty sure it gone be the wholl act if not that stupid to do it for one and then lock it op for offering

axelelf_1 said:

I didn’t see a single good reason that justifies banning 4*s. It was all the expected rhetoric that boils down to.....money.

Apparently you didn't read the explanation then. Nothing mentioned had to do with money at all. It was a thorough explanation as to why they felt it was best to gate progress at that stage. It may not be what people want, but you can't say the explanation wasn't sufficient.
    If you can't see where it has to do with money you can't comprehend the things you read.

Their entire 'explanation' about previous gating was doing so based on summoner level, or PI or owning a specific character.... not about limiting a roster based on their star level. I say this as someone who has a pretty extensive five star library. It's a bogus call.

Still wondering where the money explanation comes into it? Fine, I'll help you out.... it was somewhere around "...it's a protective measure..." Protective for whom exactly? Us? No. Obviously not. They're sick and tired of us beating their content with four star characters so they push this to prevent exactly that. To sell more crystals hoping people will buy them and expand their five star roster to complete this content. Then they spit in our faces and provide us with a crystal that gives us useless characters and you ask for more.

I'm so glad that heroes were just released with amazing Wolverine synergies. To bad they're utterly useless now.
    No. It has nothing to do with money at all. That's a bitter response that's been around longer than I have, and it comes out whenever people don't like a decision they make. "Y'all are milking the whales. Money grubbing. Greedy.". All that translates to is, "We don't like what you're doing, so we're going to call you out.".
    Fortunately, I don't work for them, so I can put it more abruptly.
    They don't want people using 4*s. That's about as plain as it gets.
    If you read the explanation, there were a few reasons given. One of which was the quality of the experience. Meaning they don't want people having a bad experience. The other has to do with the target demographic. This content is aimed at people who have enough 5*s to do it, and enough Ranking to pull it off. Between Level 60 and Act 6 there are a whole range of different growth points, and for all intents and purposes, this is intended for a specific group of that range. Now, you could conjecture all types of reasons for that surrounding the dependency on Synergies, or trying to make money, but the bottom line is, it's not for people with a handful of 4*s and some OP Synergies.
    Now, as for why they feel comfortable doing it, they have explained that themselves, outlined how they have used similar gates in the past, and also went on to explain it's permanent, and there is ample time to prepare for it.
    The bottom line is, it's not for everyone. Although it IS for anyone who has done Act 5, and has 5*s, which let's be real here, is everyone who has done Act 5. You just won't be able to depend on 4*s, whether for use or Synergies. That's entirely possible to get around.
    It has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with the intended experience and level of challenge.
    This isn’t a non-profit company. Of course this move was made with financial consideration.
    So because it's a company that makes money, it's ONLY deciding factor in any decision is money? That's an incredibly jaded way of looking at things.
    No, the bottom line with this decision is not about money. If that was the case, they'd open it to 4*s and collect the bucks from Pots and Revs bought.
    Of course it about money. How do you counter cold snap if you dont have a cold snap immune champ? I have almost 70 6/5* champs and no bleed immune at those rarities what happens when I encounter bio hazard or caltrops. What about aggressive regeneration without void or gully or a heal block champ (I also dont have one of those)? All of those fights are exponentially harder and more expensive (whether its potions or units) because RNGesus didn't bless you with the right champ 5/6* champ
    you are extremely unlucky if you have 70 5/6* but no bleed immune and for that i am sorry.
    also you have 70 champs and yet none with heal block.
    i find it hard to believe you fully here.
    but you may be right.

anyway if your luck is that bad how is money gunna help you? wat ur gunna spend $1000 for more of the same?
    i dont think so. i wouldnt.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★
    So, this champion restrictions impacting various modes of gameplay hasen spoken about as far back at Aug 2018.
  • nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★

axelelf_1 said:

I didn’t see a single good reason that justifies banning 4*s. It was all the expected rhetoric that boils down to.....money.

Apparently you didn't read the explanation then. Nothing mentioned had to do with money at all. It was a thorough explanation as to why they felt it was best to gate progress at that stage. It may not be what people want, but you can't say the explanation wasn't sufficient.
    If you can't see where it has to do with money you can't comprehend the things you read.

Their entire 'explanation' about previous gating was doing so based on summoner level, or PI or owning a specific character.... not about limiting a roster based on their star level. I say this as someone who has a pretty extensive five star library. It's a bogus call.

Still wondering where the money explanation comes into it? Fine, I'll help you out.... it was somewhere around "...it's a protective measure..." Protective for whom exactly? Us? No. Obviously not. They're sick and tired of us beating their content with four star characters so they push this to prevent exactly that. To sell more crystals hoping people will buy them and expand their five star roster to complete this content. Then they spit in our faces and provide us with a crystal that gives us useless characters and you ask for more.

I'm so glad that heroes were just released with amazing Wolverine synergies. To bad they're utterly useless now.
    No. It has nothing to do with money at all. That's a bitter response that's been around longer than I have, and it comes out whenever people don't like a decision they make. "Y'all are milking the whales. Money grubbing. Greedy.". All that translates to is, "We don't like what you're doing, so we're going to call you out.".
    If you read the explanation, there were a few reasons given. One of which was the quality of the experience. Meaning they don't want people having a bad experience. The other has to do with the target demographic. This content is aimed at people who have enough 5*s to do it, and enough Ranking to pull it off. Between Level 60 and Act 6 there are a whole range of different growth points, and for all intents and purposes, this is intended for a specific group of that range. Now, you could conjecture all types of reasons for that surrounding the dependency on Synergies, or trying to make money, but the bottom line is, it's not for people with a handful of 4*s and some OP Synergies.
    Now, as for why they feel comfortable doing it, they have explained that themselves, outlined how they have used similar gates in the past, and also went on to explain it's permanent, and there is ample time to prepare for it.
    The bottom line is, it's not for everyone. Although it IS for anyone who has done Act 5, and has 5*s, which let's be real here, is everyone who has done Act 5. You just won't be able to depend on 4*s, whether for use or Synergies. That's entirely possible to get around.
    It has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with the intended experience and level of challenge.
    This isn’t a non-profit company. Of course this move was made with financial consideration.
    So because it's a company that makes money, it's ONLY deciding factor in any decision is money? That's an incredibly jaded way of looking at things.
    No, the bottom line with this decision is not about money. If that was the case, they'd open it to 4*s and collect the bucks from Pots and Revs bought.

axelelf_1 said:

But now you are forced to buy GMC on top of revives and potions.

Revenue is the main decision making factor in any compay from smallest to biggest. So all decisions are made in kabam is with one and only goal is how to make more money than they made before and its getting out of controll because they expect for everyone to whale out on gmc to get usable champions just to offer some 5* rank up offers on top of that little bit in the future.

edited March 2019
    nOux said:

axelelf_1 said:

axelelf_1 said:

But now you are forced to buy GMC on top of revives and potions.

Revenue is the main decision making factor in any compay from smallest to biggest. So all decisions are made in kabam is with one and only goal is how to make more money than they made before and its getting out of controll because they expect for everyone to whale out on gmc to get usable champions just to offer some 5* rank up offers on top of that little bit in the future.

Why are you forced to buy FGMC? You get Champs from playing the game.
    I'd like to do a Poll on how many 5*s and 6*s people have, that have Act 5 100%.
    I'm willing to bet they have more than enough to go into Act 6 with. They might not have the "God Tier Champs", but God forbid people think outside the box and look at other options. Lol.
    even if u wanna call it a money grab.
    they cant grab my money cus i aint lettin it go.

you dont give money,
    they dont get money.

a money making scheme only works if people are stupid enough to fall for it.
    How many people have played Dungeon Crawler games?
    you know you put in time and effort but when u die thats it.
    its all over.
    no save nothing.
    gotta start again.

think about this. It could be worse. atleast kabam give us revives.