A (long format) scrub enters the Necropolis

DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
I'm not a literal scrub. I'd say I'm a decent player. I've done all the Variants, I've completed all the Acts, I got Cavalier in the first month of release, Thronebreaker day one and Paragon not that long after release. I've competed in tier 5 war, I get to the Gladiator Circuit regularly, and the last time I failed to complete time limited challenge content was the Maze.

But long form content and I have a strained relationship. I never actually did a full Labyrinth run, and while I've done some test runs I have yet to do the Abyss either. I keep putting it off, because they aren't going anywhere and frankly content that takes hours and hours is not my cup of tea. And then there was the Grandmaster's Gauntlet which I did fully explore, but I still think the content gets the W there.

But given the progression implications of Necropolis, I decided it was time to face my demons. And I figured since most of the Necropolis content out there is being made by the quick, the sharp, the awesome, and whatever MSD is, I thought I would share how a regular human being approaches the content. Note: I haven't completed it yet, more on that in a bit. This is going to be my own journal of success, failure, more failure, even more failure, and hopefully eventual tea bag of the Grandmaster over however long it takes me.

The reason I don't do well with long form challenge content is two-fold. First: I'm old. Not Crypt-Keeper old, but I'm probably more than double the age of the average MCOC player. I have to squint to look at the itty bitty text on the screen (how many charges do I have left? Is that a 3?) and my fingers get tired. I'm actually a pretty decent player five minutes into the fight, but fifty minutes in and I'm less so. However, second: I tend to get locked into content. Once I get going, I don't like to give up. I get caught up on pushing, which means the longer I play, the worse I get, and the more I try to push even harder. This is a recipe for a dumpster fire of memes. If I don't want to spend a fortune on Necropolis, I have to pace myself. This means I'm probably about to embark on the slowest Necropolis run anyone's heard of. This is not going to be an action packed thread.

I'm hoping that in all seriousness, maybe this gets people who think the content is too hard, too long, or too costly to reconsider. For many players, it probably is: it is after all the top tier end game content in the game right now. But maybe there are people out there who are good enough, but just don't know it. I hope I'm one of them.

For everyone else, enjoy seeing (or at least reading) someone get his tail kicked over and over and over again.

Comments

• Sean_WhoSean_Who Member Posts: 618 ★★★
    edited November 2023
    Sounds a lot similar to myself, except I don't have the excuse of that old of age. Look forward to seeing what you think of it.

Who are you going in with, if you have already decided?
  • Shamir51Shamir51 Member Posts: 884 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Day two: 11/17: The real right begins

9:15am The siren song of Necropolis is calling me. I hate it, but I can't not play it. I take a break from work and fire up MCOC. But first I check my notes from yesterday. In big bold letters it says KILL NICK FURY. Which I seriously completely forgot about. So I go in and let Air Walker bash nick fury to death. Embarrassingly, Nick Fury standing still and doing absolutely nothing stays alive significantly longer than some of my Titania ramp up rights. Somewhere the Necropolis designer giggles to himself, then wonders why.

9:40am. Air Walker sucks, and so do I. 24 minutes, 25 revives, and Air Walker is a traumatic memory. The timing for this is really tight, and if you miss you really have to quit out quickly, because if you stare at those green numbers long enough to curse them, he'll heal five hundred kajillion health points in a few milliseconds and then laugh at you. At least, I think he's laughing at me. It is hard to tell with all the other voices in my head.

The key seems to be to heavy him to build power and try to push him to just about two bars then bait out SP2, then immediately go back and knock him down. The heavies are a better way to knock him down than specials most of the time, and baiting SP2 is a good way to control his power. It only took me about twelve revives to figure this out. I now regret not buying all three of those Necro potion bundles.

9:54am News Flash

Of course.

Well, at least the worst is over, right? Who's next? Captain Britain? How hard can she ...

Oh. Yeah: time for another break. Seatin tells me that once I get past her, I'm sailing. I tug really hard on his face just to make sure he isn't Karatemike wearing a Seatin mask.

Current Necropolis milestone count: +39. And counting.

This is the post I didn’t I know I needed!

I’m doing something similar for very similar reasons to your own- decent enough player, at similar levels to you but never tackled long form content. Doing Necro to prove something to myself. Trying to take it slow too. Started earlier this evening with my goal being finish Psycho Man before sleep time and go again tomorrow. Not too shabby so far. Had similar nightmare on Captain Britain as I messed up and brought Juggernaut for GM final phase and wish I’d bought Wiccan instead. Oh well, too late to back out now. In terms of goal, I’m well on track- only Pyscho Man remains left standing.

Keep up the great work. Really looking forwards to reading further updates!
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Member Posts: 21,936 ★★★★★
    You’ve got this word master
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    11:00am:

The next quest I am going to complete (hopefully) is Necropolis. Which means technically speaking I might get the most rewards for first time completion of any other player.

Necropolis juice is going full Four Loko. There's definitely no backing out now.
    Clyneva said:

I love this. Looking forward to reading the whole journey.

Something I notice you didn't mention is masteries. If your plan is to brute force through with only Aegon, I'd heavily recommend warping your entire mastery setup around him. Once Aegon is ramped, he doesn't need or really benefit from willpower, because everything just gets shrugged off immediately. So might as well put those points into damage. If you go zero points into defensive, you have enough points to fully max out all the recoil masteries, the fury masteries, courage, assassin, and deep wounds.

I hate swapping masteries around. I really do. However, I've been seriously considering doing it for this, because if ever, then now. 50/50 I do that before I attempt Captain B later this afternoon.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Member Posts: 7,957 ★★★★★
    You and I have a similar approach to Everest content, good luck! Necropolis is definitely a test of endurance
  • 2StarKing2StarKing Member Posts: 855 ★★★
    You are doing great. I'm learning for my run. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Member Posts: 2,098 ★★★★★
    I completed my first run (seatin path) and aegon shredded everything. It really wasnt bad, good luck mate
  • edricedric Member Posts: 62
    This is an awesome read. I'm hooked lol. Please keep going!
  • Dirty_DozzDirty_Dozz Member Posts: 455 ★★★
    See, I also have an R4 Sig 200 Aegon, and could easily do this same strat. But I keep telling myself one of the other champs would be better: watching KarateMike get like 25k bleed damage per second with Zemo has me eyeing him, while hearing a bunch of people say that Shuri can solo a decent amount of fights has me wanting to use my 7R2, but I don't have the patience to keep hoping for the magic run (not that I'm expecting to solo ANYONE but still).

Great write-up so far, can't wait for the rest!

See, I also have an R4 Sig 200 Aegon, and could easily do this same strat. But I keep telling myself one of the other champs would be better: watching KarateMike get like 25k bleed damage per second with Zemo has me eyeing him, while hearing a bunch of people say that Shuri can solo a decent amount of fights has me wanting to use my 7R2, but I don't have the patience to keep hoping for the magic run (not that I'm expecting to solo ANYONE but still).

Great write-up so far, can't wait for the rest!

My thought process here was get the straight forward win, and see if the rewards open up some other opportunities for exploration. *IF* I decide to go for exploration. Before launch, I would have assumed exploration was a very low probability thing. But five fights in, that possibility seems a lot less crazy than it did before I started. One or two fights at a time, and so far no horrible show stoppers, and it seems less scary.

Of course, I haven't tackled the Grandmaster yet.
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Member Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Damn, all these runs are really making me consider ranking my aegon, but I just want to do Kate bishop, and I don’t know how good she is for the easy path. Issue is both of them are r1 so it’s going to take time(and a hell lot of iso) to rank up the second one
    Malreck04 said:

Damn, all these runs are really making me consider ranking my aegon, but I just want to do Kate bishop, and I don’t know how good she is for the easy path. Issue is both of them are r1 so it’s going to take time(and a hell lot of iso) to rank up the second one

I hear Kate is a really good option for players that can drive her very well. Aegon is the face roll option: even when the fight is bad, it isn't too bad. I don't know if the subtleties of Kate or Shuri make some fights have higher skill hurdles than others, and if that ultimately matters to those attackers.
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Member Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

I myself still haven't done LoL or Abyss. However, I did randomly take a full team of 6r4 into LoL just to see what happens, and I made it through about half a path before needing to revive. Long story short, I'll wait till my 9* aegon is ready for necropolis. I do have a 6* awakened aegon but he's sig1 and rank 1. Lol.

Sig 1 suggests you were expecting to use him somewhere, maybe this is the perfect opportunity
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Member Posts: 2,168 ★★★★★
    edited November 2023
    Wait are you on NZT? I can't think of anywhere in the same time zone except maybe Siberia
    Nvm I remember you said a while back you are in Japan I think. Good luck for the rest of the fights👍
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,858 ★★★★★
    Keep going, DNA 😀.

As someone also well above the average age of players, I have a fairly similar feel about long-form content. Although add in the obstacle "keep getting interrupted by children demanding my attention.."

I'm going to bring this thread to the attention of my old friend @Moosetiptronic ; a man of a similar age and skill level 😉. We're both planning (i.e. actually planning by grinding resources and watching other people's attempts, to learn from them!) Necropolis attempts in the next month or two.
    Clyneva said:

I love this. Looking forward to reading the whole journey.

Something I notice you didn't mention is masteries. If your plan is to brute force through with only Aegon, I'd heavily recommend warping your entire mastery setup around him. Once Aegon is ramped, he doesn't need or really benefit from willpower, because everything just gets shrugged off immediately. So might as well put those points into damage. If you go zero points into defensive, you have enough points to fully max out all the recoil masteries, the fury masteries, courage, assassin, and deep wounds.

This is definitely something I'm planning. Remove Willpower was a definite - hasn't considered going for zero defensive Masteries. I don't usually run Recoil Masteries, but unlocked them using Mastery Cores in the very last Gifting event.
  • IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Member Posts: 1,274 ★★★★
    Malreck04 said:

Watch nick136's completion run to see how kate does
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Member Posts: 2,147 ★★★★
    Yup, reading it with interest 😁

I was the one who based my first gauntlet run, literally, around @DNA3000 's suggestion... I ramped up my 5* aegon on doom (🫣 https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/270326/gauntlet-lessons-another-average-joe-story#latest)

But I have 6* R4 sig 200 aegon and seriously considering r5-ing and ascending him, plus 7* wiccan (may R2 him), Heimdall, Prox, fury and full attack masteries.

So, I'll be using this as a template, bar the potion packs.

Us older chaps need an approach that's Homer friendly; mashing the phone controls with your palm...

• MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Member Posts: 2,147 ★★★★
    @DNA3000 have you seen this thread on the viability of wiccan for some of the fights? Could be worth some experimentation with him on nova and dragon man?

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/352098/necropolis-wiccan-usage