**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Easy question - Is Willpower worth it? [mod edit for clarity]

Dave_the_destroyerDave_the_destroyer Posts: 981 ★★
edited July 2017 in Strategy and Tips
So many conflicting advice out there! Simply, is Willpower worth maxing out, or even having anymore since the updates? Or would the extra points on D be better spent elsewhere?
Post edited by TenebrousTenebrific on

Comments

• Options
    Mwhitaker23Mwhitaker23 Posts: 332 ★★
    willpower is really only good if
    1. your champs are boss material in aw
    2. you run suicide masteries

besides that willpower isn't worth it anymore
  • Options
    GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    Don't use wp is you don't run suicides. And if you run suicides, don't place your champs as boss/miniboss for AWD
  • Options
    so spending the 15 points to get it are really wasted now? Just do block to 4 and use the rest of the points elsewhere? Only 6 points in D looks scary!
  • Options
    Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Willpower isnt the only point of defensive masteries. I currently run 1 in willpower. I have 4 each in perfect block and block proficiency as well as 3 in recovery. I've noticed the benefits of masteries can be different depending on who you use. I used to use SYG but have recently removed it.
  • Options
    WorkingAsIntendedWorkingAsIntended Posts: 164 ★★
    It really is a waste. I would get it at max 1 but you do give up a lot of mastery points for if
  • Options
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    Willpower isnt the only point of defensive masteries. I currently run 1 in willpower. I have 4 each in perfect block and block proficiency as well as 3 in recovery. I've noticed the benefits of masteries can be different depending on who you use. I used to use SYG but have recently removed it.

Recovery really only works well with max WP imho. PB is not worth it at all, it extends stuns by 0.02 seconds max. SYG can be useful. Salve is worthless as well. So is it worth 15 points for not a lot if WP is not worth it to me?

I could use the saved 12 points getting MD, or maxing out attack masteries?
  • Options
    I maxed recovery because I use a lot of regeneration champs, I.E. Wolverine is my go-to for aq map 5, GR, Voodoo, rogue, etc. And I can tell you 15% is a noticeable difference. But like I said, it depends on the person.

PB extending stuns? huh? It just reduces block damage.
  • Options
    PB extends stuns for certain champs mate, google it and see. some say 0.02 seconds, some say 0.2 seconds per level
  • Options
    420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★
    I'd put 1 point in willpower for Alliance war only. Maxing it out definitely is no longer worth it.
  • Options
    @Dave_the_destroyer just realized it. I wasn't making the connection in my head. The perfect block mastery doesn't directly extend stun, but stun duration from the parry mastery increases with perfect block chance. Either way, I don't put points in PB for the stun duration. I put points in there for the PB chance
  • Options
    so the consensus is WP is not worth it any more?
  • Options
    Id say anything above 1 isnt worth it unless running suicides. 0-1 depends on what the person wants but not necessary
  • Options
    ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    It's worth it, but like others have said only 1 point is worth it now. It will help you in AQ and in other areas of the game. If you already have it unlocked and have the extra point place it there.
  • Options
    HazemHazem Posts: 243
    It's worth it but only put 1 point, unless u run suicides
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I find it worth it. Especially with the number of Champs that have varying Debuffs. My personal opinion is it's best to Max out along with Recovery in order to get the full potential. I prefer not to run Suicides so I can't comment much on that.
  • Options
    TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★
    In the immortal words of Nike "Just Do It."
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    If you're a good player WP is garbage. Just don't get hit.

I used it WP, Coagulate and Suture when I was new and now I wish I just saved my units and got better sooner. They're a crutch keeping people from getting better.
  • Options

I used it WP, Coagulate and Suture when I was new and now I wish I just saved my units and got better sooner. They're a crutch keeping people from getting better.

Any Health you can recover makes all the difference when you need it. I don't care how skilled you are. No one avoids all Damage 100% of the time. For people who haven't completed Act 4, it helps. Saying it's a crutch is a bit ignorant.
  • Options
    TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★

I bought it prior to them nerfing it so I got back 2200 units. Best deal ever.
  • Options
    Tmasters1984Tmasters1984 Posts: 451
    edited July 2017
    It is worth it if you get hit - max if if you've got suicides, but 1 or 2 is fine otherwise.

On 2 you'll regen fairly well if you get hit with two debuffs. Lots of champs have bleed and armour break so getting hit by a debuff is fairly common - it's not useless like so many people here are saying.

That said, if you're at the very very top tier, your points are better spent elsewhere because you're definitely going to want to not get hit at all. For most players, though, it's a worthwhile investment- and you can always change it later. Mastery set ups are meant to change so the one that works for you now doesn't have to be the same one you use in a years time.

If more players were able to play without getting hit at all then Luke Cage would be a god tier champ...
  • Options
    WreakingHavocWreakingHavoc Posts: 253 ★★
    edited July 2017
    I don't know on this one. If you run suicides or you're just plain bad at fighting, yes, it's worth it. But other than that, the once top mastery is greatly disappointing. They nerfed how often it triggers AND how effective it is, which destroyed it. They either need to put its effectiveness back to normal but make it per stack instead of per debuff, or make it trigger per debuff and keep its effectiveness low. The cost just isn't worth it anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It does trigger per debuff.

It just doesn't trigger on additional stacks.
  • Options
    WreakingHavocWreakingHavoc Posts: 253 ★★
    It does trigger per debuff.

It triggers per debuff TYPE. Sorry for confusion. I was meaning per debuff regardless of whether it's stacked or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think that's a bad idea because then you'd run into the joe fix It and Antman problems again.

It's fine as is. Let's say you're up against ww2 and get hit with bleed, fatigue and stun and have rank 2 willpower. You'll regen 1.8% health per second and gain 300 armour rating. That's enough to offset the damage.

That's the point of the mastery.

With that said, at higher levels champs do more damage so less effective - but that goes for all masteries.
  • Options
    J0NisCOOLJ0NisCOOL Posts: 115
    Will power is a bit of a catch 22. It is really helpful at the beginning of the game when the units are a bit more scarce and challenges are not as difficult because it helps newer players stay in fights longer. Once you hit a certain point of the game, Map 4 & 5 AQ and hard chapters of ACT 4 and ACT 5 everything hits so hard you have to fight near perfect so it doesnt apply as much then.
  • Options
    BadroseBadrose Posts: 779 ★★★
    J0NisCOOL wrote: »
    Map 5 AQ and hard chapters of ACT 4 and ACT 5 everything hits so hard you have to fight near perfect so it doesnt apply as much then.

That is exactly the point. Unless you run suicide masteries, special events/nodes now prevent WP to be useful. Only regeneration champs are, so use your mastery points elsewhere.

• Options
    I'm onto post Act 4 content and I still find willpower relevant.
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★

Any Health you can recover makes all the difference when you need it. I don't care how skilled you are. No one avoids all Damage 100% of the time. For people who haven't completed Act 4, it helps. Saying it's a crutch is a bit ignorant.

If you need WP you aren't good enough at the game. Spend more time playing and less on the forums.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

If you need WP you aren't good enough at the game. Spend more time playing and less on the forums.
    Wow. Your methods of helping newer Players are abounding. "Git gud". I didn't say I relied on it. I said it was worth the investment. That was the question. That's the fundamental problem with arrogance. Some forget that there are different levels of Players. I can assure you. I do just fine. Perhaps not as good as some who never get hit. Guess we all need something to aspire to. Thanks for being an example. I'm not a noob. WP helps. Any Health that can be recovered helps. If you can't see the logic in that, that's just a foolish way of thinking.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It's a bit of a dickish thing to say.

It's just about playstyle and champs, as with all masteries. Willpower can be super helpful when facing, say, Cable for example. It's a good counter to degen.

I'll sometimes take an armour break on top of farltigue or weakness or and use it to heal; it helps provide some safety against abom, mordo, iceman. It's not stupid to say willpower is useful in certain situations. I'd rather have points there then glass cannon, to be honest.

Also, if you're going to comment 'git gud' - please be the player that never uses pots or revs. Ever.

And, as I said above - masteries are not meant to be permanent for the entire stretch of the game. Use and alter as needed. Can't be going into 5.2 with dexterity and resonate, for example.