**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How do you lure though opponents who don't do specials, into a special?

AbarttoirAbarttoir Posts: 38
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Hi guys,

Maybe it's just me, but occasionally you'll run into opponents who just can't be lured into a special. Don't get me wrong, I'm no newbie and almost know all the tricks in the book, however there are some fights that are just rigged...

It happens mostly in arena, just before Thanos teams are popping up. Your opponents are maxed four stars or r4 five stars and have about double the rating of the champs that you bring to the dance. Even if you dance around for ages, grow a beard and make a trip around the world, your fricking OP opponents just don't do a special 1 or 2. Most of the time I improvise and get the job done anyway, but problem is that they will max their power bar and since patch v12.01 you can get killed with one special 3 against you, if your outta luck. Seriously, I can make fights last for half an hour and still no special triggers on the opponent.

Does anyone else have the same issue, or know a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    Ya i have noticed this in arena sometimes, it's super annoying
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    Its because in arena the AIs are beginner level very passive and have lower chances to throw specials than other AIs.If you are having problems getting to infinite streak because of this just bait Sp.1s and when you get pushed against the wall just hit and get them to sp2 to create distance and try again until you get out of the thanos and kang team rotation. Its very time consuming but if you are really struggling thats the way you have to do it. If you don't use the infinite streak method that might help as well since that'll make you pair up with much weaker opponents and you cant tank 1 or 2 sp3s if needed.
  • AbarttoirAbarttoir Posts: 38
    I'm not having issues with getting long infinite streaks, but the problem is that some opponents just can't be baited into a SP1 (or 2), no matter what you do, or how long you do it. It's just very crappy to go up against 10 to 12k rated opponts with your 5 to 6k champs, while there is no way to bait the specials. And the millisecond they do reach a full power bar you immediately get pounded by their SP3.

Imho it's just a very annoying bug. Sometimes it gets one of my champs KO, but most of the times I can work my way around it, like you guys mentioned above.

Anyway thanks for the comments.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,682 ★★★★★
    I usually expect to lose the fight against the hardest SP3 hitter (hello thor) or a mad bleed attached to the special (insert long list here) and plan my matchups around beating the two with not so great damage or no after effect.

• Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    Fights 10/11/12 I usually expect this. Start baiting early at one bar of power is what I do. I find the close they are to the next bar the less likely they use a special. Right after they get the bar stop attacking and start baiting. That way if they are stubborn you have time. And can alway attacks again to back them up.

Usually they will eventually use it it just can take time. Also punch there blocks and back them up to gain extra baiting time. And technique for baiting people varies on champs. Some champs are more likely to throw when you are at long/medium/close distances depending.

Also I try to bring some power control champs for these fights or heavy hitter that can end the fights before the get to sp3.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    It's hard because there seems to be two different AI tactics lately. The first is super aggressive. It's constantly attacking. The second is passive, and it holds Block until it launches a surprise attack. Keep trying to Bait and coax it. It takes patience. Sometimes it just refuses to Bait until it has a Special, or it comes out of Blocking and catches you off guard.
  • MEŦAPħҰSMEŦAPħҰS Posts: 340 ★★
    edited July 2017
    Abarttoir wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Maybe it's just me, but occasionally you'll run into opponents who just can't be lured into a special. Don't get me wrong, I'm no newbie and almost know all the tricks in the book, however there are some fights that are just rigged...

It happens mostly in arena, just before Thanos teams are popping up. Your opponents are maxed four stars or r4 five stars and have about double the rating of the champs that you bring to the dance. Even if you dance around for ages, grow a beard and make a trip around the world, your fricking OP opponents just don't do a special 1 or 2. Most of the time I improvise and get the job done anyway, but problem is that they will max their power bar and since patch v12.01 you can get killed with one special 3 against you, if your outta luck. Seriously, I can make fights last for half an hour and still no special triggers on the opponent.

Does anyone else have the same issue, or know a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

i have only noticed this arena also. the work around that i have been using is this:

manage the power bar very carefully. go less than or equal to 1 hit over to make it go green and then start baiting special. if you hit them too far into the next bar, they will hold it so you need to be very diligent in managing this.

generally the fights your concerned about are pretty easy and can be over come anyway, but if you really need the help, try this, ive had a lot of success with it
  • SomeoneElseSomeoneElse Posts: 424 ★★★
    The short answer is, you don't. Baiting specials seems to be at least partly based on chance. There seem to be a few rules, but these don't make baiting a guarantee.

1. Baiting SP1 is the easiest. The closer they get to SP3, the less they seem to take a bait.
    2. The higher the champion level, the harder baiting seems to get. This might be why you notice it more in arenas. You jump from easy to hard faster.
    3. Older champions seem to bait much easier than new ones. For some, you don't even have to try.
  • Anonymous346Anonymous346 Posts: 661 ★★★
    Taunt then with spider man SE
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    I've noticed this in aq also, sometimes they fire L1 as soon as they get it, and sometimes they won't no matter what you do. I always try to bring a power control champ in arena in the hardest section before you get to infinite streak. What gets me even more is when you should be making contact to ko them in arena and they fire L3 during your hit animation. If I try that myself it never works, they get the hit and I take damage before launching L3. The AI does things you just can't do.
  • Billybob1971Billybob1971 Posts: 113
    I find baiting a very big and miss affair, sometimes it seems to work, other like the OP says it seems impossible.

I am no expert at it though, and find streaks impossible as a result. One of the most frustrating aspects of the game for me. And really rather stupid.
  • TheMageHunterTheMageHunter Posts: 711 ★★
    Agreed the AI at those levels never use anything other than sp3s.

And thats why I save my power lock and power drain or very hard hitting champs for last
  • Til0rTil0r Posts: 14
    Sometimes there is no SK3 at all. Even if they reach it, mostly early in fight, they wont fire it.
    So for the fights 11-13 i just dont care about powermeter from my opponent. Just punch them to KO as fast as you can.
    If you can bring Powercontrol champs use them on hvy hitters like CapMarvel or Thor. Or on HP monsters like Rhino.
    Suicides help big time here
  • AfridAfrid Posts: 529 ★★
    Offer him some candy before the fight. He might use specials as you wish
  • FamousRyFamousRy Posts: 112
    bribe them with moneys