**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Ebony Maw

Milan1405Milan1405 Posts: 952 ★★★★
I think this month's Ebony Maw boss is one of Kabam's best ever efforts at a challenging but doable uncollected boss. He is complex, but when you read up and understand his abilities, he is quite easy to fight with no **** cash grab mechanics. His degeneration has very little impact, and the character's design is fantastic. The fight also makes you think about how to end your combo and when to attack into him which makes for a much more entertaining fight. The fact that there is a less-stacked ebony maw on the first node is very favourable as it lets you get to grips with his basic mechanics and animations. You can exit out and back in again for very little energy, and when you can take him out and sustain very little damage, you know you're ready to proceed to the boss. He does mean you cant use champs with guaranteed crits like corvus, but that's fine as you can use many other champs like sparky etc. (I personally used hawkeye). Once you understand how to fight him and cull obsidian as well, they are very easy to one-shot, so I just wanted to say well done to Kabam on the creation of the penultimate chapter. (Nameless Thanos in the final chapter is a different story, especially when looking at the rewards vs challenge,) but at least the rest of the quest was well designed.

Comments

• Milan1405Milan1405 Posts: 952 ★★★★

I think so long as there is no unstoppable, unblockable, indestructible and crazy regeneration, most champs are manageable.

Exactly, unless unblockable is easy to evade.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,167 ★★★★★
    Wasp is pretty good to let him stil fouce one you. Wild make the. Deg almost not even ther
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Milan1405 said:

I think this month's Ebony Maw boss is one of Kabam's best ever efforts at a challenging but doable uncollected boss. He is complex, but when you read up and understand his abilities, he is quite easy to fight with no **** cash grab mechanics. His degeneration has very little impact, and the character's design is fantastic. The fight also makes you think about how to end your combo and when to attack into him which makes for a much more entertaining fight. The fact that there is a less-stacked ebony maw on the first node is very favourable as it lets you get to grips with his basic mechanics and animations. You can exit out and back in again for very little energy, and when you can take him out and sustain very little damage, you know you're ready to proceed to the boss. He does mean you cant use champs with guaranteed crits like corvus, but that's fine as you can use many other champs like sparky etc. (I personally used hawkeye). Once you understand how to fight him and cull obsidian as well, they are very easy to one-shot, so I just wanted to say well done to Kabam on the creation of the penultimate chapter. (Nameless Thanos in the final chapter is a different story, especially when looking at the rewards vs challenge,) but at least the rest of the quest was well designed.

Agree except for Nameless Thanos lol. Also easy to practice with little energy cost and a fun, well designed boss fight for a major event.
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    The easiest way to fight Maw is to stay close to him because the AI likes to throw a light attack when you're close to them.
    So since Maw's first light attack is a contact, you can parry him
  • SDPSDP Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    You point out the fact that you can easily practice against Maw with little energy as a big plus, and it is good design, because you can easily one-shot them once you understand them.

Simultaneously, you view the nameless boss as poor design for holding exactly the same qualities, except for the fact that you can not easily one-shot him. Although, you have weeks to try for the cost of a few energy a day. To read his abilities, understand them, and take him down.

Philosophically, this is a confusing stance. I could not disagree more. It seems I’m in the minority.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    edited May 2019
    For nameless boss. The first 2 phases are manageable. Even as the first phase provides you with only 4 options to remove the cocoon, being 3 specials and a heavy, it's still OK. The third phase however, is really pushing the line between manageable and impossible.

Even if you have the skill to intercept his dash attack, which is the only intercept that let's you remove the indestructible, you only have 1 second to do damage, which only sp3 can effectively utilize that window.

In short, phase 3 really removes too many ways to do damage. If they increased the indestructible down time to +0.5 second for every armor break inflicted, then it would be so much better. The boss' insane amount of health is enough of a barrier to beating uncollected without the 1 second damage window further hampering us.
  • Milan1405Milan1405 Posts: 952 ★★★★

You point out the fact that you can easily practice against Maw with little energy as a big plus, and it is good design, because you can easily one-shot them once you understand them.

Simultaneously, you view the nameless boss as poor design for holding exactly the same qualities, except for the fact that you can not easily one-shot him. Although, you have weeks to try for the cost of a few energy a day. To read his abilities, understand them, and take him down.

Philosophically, this is a confusing stance. I could not disagree more. It seems I’m in the minority.

Difference for me and I know for a lot of others, is that ebony maw is no where near as punishing as thanos is. So if you get hit due to lag, you are usually able to survive even with 5/50s. However, intercepting Thanos with lag is very difficult, and way harder than usual monthly, so ppl feel rewards should have been buffed, and I must say I agree.