**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Slow debuff not stopping unstoppable

2»

Comments

• Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    I know I am late to this party but there is a lot of mathmatical misinformation here.

100% can be both a number and a percentage, because 100% represents a number, the same as X represents a number in coding or math. 100% represents the highest base value. In this case it represents that Jugs can go unstoppable every time he does a special. The problem is many people are treating this like 100% is infinity and 0% is 0. This is not how this works. every real number that they give you in the game is converted to a % when it comes time to work, and then that % is manipulated. You can then treat these percentages jsut like any other number, but what matters is what is on the right side of the equal sign. Anything over 100% is treated as 100% anything under 0% is treated as 0% and then everything in the middle is treated as itself.
  • Options
    Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★

When brought below 15% Max Health

Once per fight, Goldpool has a 999% chance to gain a Regeneration, recovering 6706.5 Health over 8 seconds. Leave my Regen alone Black Widow! You too Crossbones!

If there was no percentage more than 100% for AR, then Goldpool wouldn’t need 100% AR to prevent AAR, right?
  • Options
    WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    I really dislike how percentages work with ability accuracy in this game. It makes absolutely no sense. If a champ has a 100% chance at something then it shouldn't be possible, that's just basic math. The whole adding percentages thing is very odd.
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

I really dislike how percentages work with ability accuracy in this game. It makes absolutely no sense. If a champ has a 100% chance at something then it shouldn't be possible, that's just basic math. The whole adding percentages thing is very odd.

That is actually not basic math. That is a complete misunderstanding of basic math. you are assigning 100% to infinity when that is not what it means. Even in basic math you can multiply something by 200% (x * 2x), or add 200% (x + 2x). 100% just means the number not a portion of the number.
  • Options
    Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

That is actually not basic math. That is a complete misunderstanding of basic math. you are assigning 100% to infinity when that is not what it means. Even in basic math you can multiply something by 200% (x * 2x), or add 200% (x + 2x). 100% just means the number not a portion of the number.
    So juggs has a base 100% chance to activate unstoppable after special attacks. Now just assuming it makes sense to add percentages here, say he has an additional 75% chance to proc unstoppable, that's a total of 175% chance (if you agree adding percentage here makes sense). What I'm saying then is that She-Hulk reduces their chance by 100%, so in theory 100% of 175% is 175% so they shouldn't be procing unstoppable.

However, if you do calculations in a different order you will get a different result. My point here is that the order of calculations doesn't make much sense. Champion abilities should be calculated last as they are not fixed before the fight, but that doesn't seem to be what we see.

I understand how you can add and multiply percentages, I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

So juggs has a base 100% chance to activate unstoppable after special attacks. Now just assuming it makes sense to add percentages here, say he has an additional 75% chance to proc unstoppable, that's a total of 175% chance (if you agree adding percentage here makes sense). What I'm saying then is that She-Hulk reduces their chance by 100%, so in theory 100% of 175% is 175% so they shouldn't be procing unstoppable.

However, if you do calculations in a different order you will get a different result. My point here is that the order of calculations doesn't make much sense. Champion abilities should be calculated last as they are not fixed before the fight, but that doesn't seem to be what we see.

I understand how you can add and multiply percentages, I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.
    That completely depends on how things work. In this game you can add AND subtract percentages, and you can even multiply, but rarely if ever can you do both. And in order for yours to work you have to do both.

The way it works is very simple. (100 + 75 - 100) = 75
    The way you want it to work is not so simple. (100 + 75) - (100 + 75) = 0

The first is what it says, the second is not what it says.

The easiest way for you to understand it may be to just drop the percentages and stop treating them like ratios if you do not fully grasp ratios.

The game generates a random number between 0 and 100 and gets a 5 it then does a check, if the number is greater than the number of the chance to perform the action the action is stopped, if not the action continues. since juggs has a base 100 to his unstoppable + 75 -100 his number is a 75, and the roll has to beat a 75 to stop it.
  • Options
    Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

That completely depends on how things work. In this game you can add AND subtract percentages, and you can even multiply, but rarely if ever can you do both. And in order for yours to work you have to do both.

The easiest way for you to understand it may be to just drop the percentages and stop treating them like ratios if you do not fully grasp ratios.

The game generates a random number between 0 and 100 and gets a 5 it then does a check, if the number is greater than the number of the chance to perform the action the action is stopped, if not the action continues. since juggs has a base 100 to his unstoppable + 75 -100 his number is a 75, and the roll has to beat a 75 to stop it.
    I don't understand the need for insults/accusations here especially seeing as you don't know me. I studied math for years and you don't typically see percentages used the way they're used in this game. And it's for sure not the most logical method. The first method you suggested may be the way it works, but the second method would make more sense. It's all about order of operation. I never once said I don't know how percentages work, I said it doesn't make a lot of sense the order in which the calculations are performed. I'm not asking for you to agree with me, but at least do me the respect of not resorting to insults.
  • Options

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Dude, it's completely obvious how the game calculates this.

Your point is "if I do this calculation in a completely different way, then it doesn't make sense!"

Just stop.
    No my point is the current order of operations doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

I don't understand the need for insults/accusations here especially seeing as you don't know me. I studied math for years and you don't typically see percentages used the way they're used in this game. And it's for sure not the most logical method. The first method you suggested may be the way it works, but the second method would make more sense. It's all about order of operation. I never once said I don't know how percentages work, I said it doesn't make a lot of sense the order in which the calculations are performed. I'm not asking for you to agree with me, but at least do me the respect of not resorting to insults.
    I never insulted you. The you I stated in the post is the collective "you", not you personally, and even then it was not an insult.

I studied math and have multiple math related degrees, and yes you do. The problem though is when people make the mistake of forgetting they are ratios and assign them to infinity.

Another way you can look at it (again the collective you) is (x*1) + (x*.75) - (x*1). and yes it is the most most logical method. In order for your method to work you would have to treat the percentages and 2 completely opposite types of values and use them arbitrarily how you want to. You are forgetting that there is an underlying value there and that the percentages are not 0 and infinity, on and off switches.
  • Options
    Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

I never insulted you. The you I stated in the post is the collective "you", not you personally, and even then it was not an insult.

I studied math and have multiple math related degrees, and yes you do. The problem though is when people make the mistake of forgetting they are ratios and assign them to infinity.

Another way you can look at it (again the collective you) is (x*1) + (x*.75) - (x*1). and yes it is the most most logical method. In order for your method to work you would have to treat the percentages and 2 completely opposite types of values and use them arbitrarily how you want to. You are forgetting that there is an underlying value there and that the percentages are not 0 and infinity, on and off switches.
    Again, I understand about percentages and how they work. Your explanation makes sense to me, I just don't think it's the most logical order of operation, which was my point in the original post. I think it would make more sense to calculate how the nodes interacts with the defender then calculate how the attackers abilities interact with those calculated values. The reason we get forum posts like this are because players see the "100%" in the abilities and don't understand why it's not always working. It has a tendency to be misleading.
  • Options
    Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Lormif said:

Werewrym said:

Again, I understand about percentages and how they work. Your explanation makes sense to me, I just don't think it's the most logical order of operation, which was my point in the original post. I think it would make more sense to calculate how the nodes interacts with the defender then calculate how the attackers abilities interact with those calculated values. The reason we get forum posts like this are because players see the "100%" in the abilities and don't understand why it's not always working. It has a tendency to be misleading.

I highlighted a line.. It is still doing this, it is still calculating one side, then calculating the other. The difference it is not reassigning another variable to be a different value before it does the second percentages.

Most people are bad at division (not talking about you). So when they see 100% they do not think of ratios, because ratios evoke the thought of division. I cannot think of better ways they can say something like this that does not become overly convoluted. It is clear, and concise.
  • Options
    KenlinzKenlinz Posts: 20
    Omg reasing this just made me stupid. 100%-75%=25% simple so u have a 75% chance to fail stopping unstoppable nomatter who u use with slow or stagger or whatever debuff that stops unstoppable go bk to grade school plz and to say percentages arent numbers lol wtf are they then they derived from somewhere my guess is numbers i reckon ur guess is letters?
  • Options
    KenlinzKenlinz Posts: 20
    And ik this is an old post but it made me stupider readin it and my super power is math btw lol u gotta figure urs out bc this aint it
  • Options
    MaratoxMaratox Posts: 1,499 ★★★★★
    Kenlinz said:

And ik this is an old post but it made me stupider readin it and my super power is math btw lol u gotta figure urs out bc this aint it

Stop reviving old threads