**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

IMIW AI

GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
I've been somewhat hesitant to post about this for the obvious reason that people will most probably say "Adapt!", but I've been feeling for some time now that his AI needs to be adjusted. This is most likely the most frustrating AI I've had to encounter in the Arena. It's almost as if it automatically bypasses any move you try. Now, I'm not necessarily complaining because I can't beat him. I deal with it. However, I have noticed that it's one of the longest and most frustrating Fights I've encountered unless you have a specific counter, which isn't always possible in the Arena. Between the Auto-Block and the response time, it seems like he freezes your moves half the time. Now, I'm not saying 'Nerf IMIW!". I'm just asking anyone else's thoughts on how different his AI is to maneuver around. It's probably the most frustrating Arena Fight to come up against. I was just in the Alpha Arena and fought a 3* with a Duped 4* UC, that Auto-Block/Parried 5 times in a row, through my Unstoppable. That may be possible, but it just magnified how different his AI is. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Yeah I have no issues Questing. I can bring Karnak or some other Champ that can deal with him. It's the Arena that frustrates me. You can't really strategize. It spends half the time speeding up responses or holding Block. L1 is spammed, can't use Heavies, just impenetrable. It's really quite unique AI in combination with his Abilities.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    OG Thor with Armour Break on parry does wonders for that pesky armour up and auto block problem. Or Corvus.
  • Dtl7714Dtl7714 Posts: 467 ★★★
    edited August 2019
    Armor breakers help, but really anyone can beat him.

Hold block, bait his heavy, evade, counter with your heavy, repeat. Your heavy wont be auto blocked. No armor break can mean a long fight. When he has 1 bar of power be ready to evade.
    I can beat him. It's just the AI that's my issue. Every move is countered. You can't really bring who you want in the Arena. You have 3 choices. I beat him, it's just overly-frustrating. Lol.
  • Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★

I can beat him. It's just the AI that's my issue. Every move is countered. You can't really bring who you want in the Arena. You have 3 choices. I beat him, it's just overly-frustrating. Lol.

This is not specific to IMIW. AI just standing with their defenses down, pouncing on you when you try anything. Happens in AQ all the time, especially as of day 3.
  • Username6435Username6435 Posts: 26
    I love how people drop strategic advice as if the AI doesn't do a whole bunch of flat out impossible things like block unlockables and intercept while stunned on top of flat out ignoring all known laws of mathematical probability till you are completely out of revives and then suddenly your Archangels ability accuracy suddenly goes back to working as described.
    Marri_2 said:

This is not specific to IMIW. AI just standing with their defenses down, pouncing on you when you try anything. Happens in AQ all the time, especially as of day 3.
    Well yes. The AI has 2 phases basically. Intercept with lightning speed, or sit passively holding Block. I think it's just a combination of his Abilities and the AI pattern. The AI has this whole knee-jerk Evade thing going on. Like Auto-Evade. Plus you add the fact that it Blocks immediately at times. Then you have his Auto-Block/Parry, plus Unblockable L1 spamming. Just makes that Fight more challenging than most any other in the Arena. Right up there with Domino, but she's easier to take down.
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Posts: 2,561 ★★★★
    There's not much you can do to prepare for it. Just try your best, relax, and focus.
  • solmyrairsolmyrair Posts: 388
    IMIW and abilities you’re saying above got me out of many **** fights. Wouldn’t probably finish Act 5 without this champ being 4*.

it's all in your head then, most likely cause you're not comfortable with his non-contact repulsor strikes or you can't be bothered to see if his lil blue shield buff icon has a number 3 or 4 under it, or if he has a bar of power. if you picture a duped medusa instead of imiw the fight style is the same: watch the numbers under an icon, keep your distance, get your hits in when opportunity presents itself.
    If it's just his sig you're worried about, just hold on to your sp3 and watch for 15% health. Or wait out the shield buffs and avoid his easily avoidable sp1s and 2s.
    Or continue to kvetch and ignore advice, whatever floats your boat. It's not the AI that's the issue.
    I wasn't really asking for advice, but I appreciate when people give it. I'm not looking for ways to deal with him. I'm asking how people feel about his AI in comparison to the others. I'm not sure if you're familiar with long Arena Grinds or not, but you don't really have much time to stop and strategize. A certain amount of that is knowing Champs, sure. When I notice one Champ takes uncharacteristically longer than others, I tend to think why.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    I think many ppl have already got used to IMIW’s fight pattern, korg and The Thing maybe even more annoying esp with node buff.
    I'm talking about his AI and how it differs in the Arena. It's easy enough when you can bring any counter you need.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Even I encounter IMIW in alpha arena I don’t feel his AI become more difficult.
    It hasn't become MORE difficult. It's always been that way. The combination of his Auto-Block, Intercepting every move, Unblockable L1, knee-jerk reactions, and everything else he has going on, makes it longer than other Fights. If you don't have what you need, it's a frustrating Fight. More so than others. That's what I'm saying. It's uncharacteristically different. Similar to Domino.
  • solmyrairsolmyrair Posts: 388
    The same I could say about MODOK.. such an annoying fight.. just need to crack on with this..
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,676 ★★★★★
    The AI is different because he has unique abilities compared to 90% of the champs in the pool.

The typical bash x 5, parry, repeat is not a valid strategy against IMIW, just as it isnt a good idea against Thing.

He telegraphs the heavy and SP1 really easily, move to heavies, light combos and wait out the armor ups.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with isolated champs AI in the arena, Hype will stand there grinning, mrodo runs and hides, Morales will stick his chin out waiting to be hit then evade it and punch you anyway and IMIW and Thing (and Korg to a lesser extent) will wreck someone not paying attention.

All of those are a function of individual abilities rather than a conspiracy of making them hard to fight.

A prolific grinder should have no issues in any arena.
    I have no issues keeping up with the Arena. Coming up on 100k Wins, so I'm not some amateur that thinks it's "too hard". I'm pointing out a discrepancy I've noticed and I've asked if anyone else noticed as well. That's about it. I realize people get a kick out of saying "Git gud.", but I done got gud.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Going back to your original post, UC can be parried whenever he is unstoppable, so he wouldn't be any different from any other champ as far as the autoblock/parry is concerned. Not trying to be condescending here, do you know how to interrupt his heavy with a heavy?
    edited September 2019

Going back to your original post, UC can be parried whenever he is unstoppable, so he wouldn't be any different from any other champ as far as the autoblock/parry is concerned. Not trying to be condescending here, do you know how to interrupt his heavy with a heavy?

Yes I know the Parry is possible, and yes I do. You don't get much chance to get a Heavy off with the AI lately. Almost never in the Arena actually. It will automatically Block or Intercept it in the Infinite.
    .....or the spontaneous jerk back Evade. Lol.
  • Priyansh7Priyansh7 Posts: 445 ★★

I've been somewhat hesitant to post about this for the obvious reason that people will most probably say "Adapt!", but I've been feeling for some time now that his AI needs to be adjusted. This is most likely the most frustrating AI I've had to encounter in the Arena. It's almost as if it automatically bypasses any move you try. Now, I'm not necessarily complaining because I can't beat him. I deal with it. However, I have noticed that it's one of the longest and most frustrating Fights I've encountered unless you have a specific counter, which isn't always possible in the Arena. Between the Auto-Block and the response time, it seems like he freezes your moves half the time. Now, I'm not saying 'Nerf IMIW!". I'm just asking anyone else's thoughts on how different his AI is to maneuver around. It's probably the most frustrating Arena Fight to come up against. I was just in the Alpha Arena and fought a 3* with a Duped 4* UC, that Auto-Block/Parried 5 times in a row, through my Unstoppable. That may be possible, but it just magnified how different his AI is. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I think that golden adaptoid has the most frustrating AI.....else imiw is a piece of cakewalk
  • iRetr0iRetr0 Posts: 1,252 ★★★★
    Priyansh7 said:

I think that golden adaptoid has the most frustrating AI.....else imiw is a piece of cakewalk
    I agree, IMIW is easy compared to Golden Adaptoid
  • arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★

arsjum said:

"I've been feeling for some time now that his AI needs to be adjusted."

"Now, I'm not saying 'Nerf IMIW!"."

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like you are contradicting yourself @GroundedWisdom because "adjusted" in this context sounds like "nerfed."

Do you mean he needs to be slightly nerfed?

I'm talking about how his AI is different. Not altering his Abilities.
    I see your point but his ai functioning differently is I think part of his abilities. Yes, it can be annoying but that’s what makes him IMIW. Take away his unique ai behavior, you are taking away from his abilities.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,676 ★★★★★
    I'm sorry you didn't get the opinions that aligned with your own but it is a discussion forum where everyones input is valid.

• The_WatcherThe_Watcher Posts: 148
    Like @phillgreen pointed out, it seems some champs do have different AI than most of the other. That said, those specific AIs along with arena's (even AQ's now a days mostly) defensive AI does make those champs more annoying.

Like Hype won't throw sp1/2 at all in arenas and just wait for his sp3. IMIW would just continue to block most of the times and once he has 1 bar of power he wakes up and throws that sp1, then goes back blocking. Thing won't throw specials at all (except sp3) so he just gets unstoppable no matter how much you try to bait.