**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

#TheWarOnCrits?

hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,117 ★★★★★
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Maw, Doom, Sinister, Havok, Man-thing... that's just some of the new champs who punish crits specifically. Doesn't even include general damage reduction champs like Thing and Korg, etc. Now Nova too? I didn't even have to read the description. I had already guessed I would see something that nerfs high damage champs. I walked up to the UC boss and sure enough, there it was. I am familiar with the phrase "the meta will change over time..". Sure, but this really seem like a lot in the small window of time.
I suppose my biggest complaint is there is generally no way to play around it with attention to detail or skill. It's just flat out written in their description. Done deal. Hard hitting champs simply won't be successful.

Comments

• hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,117 ★★★★★
    Just to clarify. This wasn't a complaint about the difficulty of Nova in UC. Omega solo'd him. It is a voicing of concern with the volume of damage reducing champs being released in a short amount of time.
    edited January 2020
    Whodis said:

How does maw, doom, and man thing punish crits?
    Maw it’s only guaranteed crits and those are very rare
    Doom has high crit resistance but doesn’t punish you for landing on
    Man thing just ignores the damage multiplayers
    This doesn’t seem like a real issue considering those champs you mentioned all have very niche matchups
    Tbh I didn’t even notice Nova Corvus just cut right through him

Ok, tested Corvus just to be sure, as you said "he cut right trough him.", but no he is not good for this fight as the description states. CV on the other hand was good, in addition to Omega. Nova appears to be a direct counter to Corvus, Ghost, Wasp, etc. If you have footage of Corvus cutting right through him, I'd be interested. Unless that statement was satirical and I missed it:)
  • Supremeguy95Supremeguy95 Posts: 447
    I got through Nova with Aegon ramped up. Took about 15 hits (spamming heavies)
    The man barely launched an SP1.
  • BeginthEndBeginthEnd Posts: 334
    Never forget the passive ability powers that may be found in the likes of Ant-Man and the legendary Iron Fist. Takes their crit damage and just tears away at their coat tails and scratches at their eyes with claws of mud.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★

Whodis said:

How does maw, doom, and man thing punish crits?
    Maw it’s only guaranteed crits and those are very rare
    Doom has high crit resistance but doesn’t punish you for landing on
    Man thing just ignores the damage multiplayers
    This doesn’t seem like a real issue considering those champs you mentioned all have very niche matchups
    Tbh I didn’t even notice Nova Corvus just cut right through him

I guess you are taking a different meaning to the word punish than was intended. Yes, guaranteed crits are a type of crit. Doom cannot be crit unless it's guaranteed..so he's kind of the opposite. Man-thing ignores crits altogether. What do you mean it's just the damage? I don't understand. The whole point of critting is the extra damage. Take it away and it's literally just a different color font. I guess the main point was that damage reduction champs..of all types, seem to be coming out of the woodwork over the last months. I didn't try Corvus on Nova. After reading that he reduces crits by 70% I just used Omega. I'll have to test Corvus next time, but 70% reduced damage doesn't sound like a good match up.
    Doom can be crit, his resistance is high so you need to use champs that can get a higher total crit rating than his resistance.
    *campaign :)
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,682 ★★★★★
    edited January 2020
    Jane Foster and Elektra need to be reigned in, guaranteed crits are breaking the game.
  • Destroy4589Destroy4589 Posts: 261 ★★★
    Lol corvus does not cut through nova. That crit damage reduction is massive.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    Cant kill an opponent with corvus? No problem you have 4 other champs on your team. Don't see a problem here.
    edited January 2020
    This wasn't a Corvus post. It's about the trend of damage reducing champs being released in unnatural numbers. I have many options in my roster and I use all of them.
    Dshu said:

Cant kill an opponent with corvus? No problem you have 4 other champs on your team. Don't see a problem here.

As I said, I solo'd Nova the first time I fought him. With Omega, because I read his abilities and chose him as my attacker. Same with CV. And there are multiple counters to Nova. Of course. The release of Nova prompted me to start this thread only because before I even clicked on his ability sheet for the first time, I was able to predict that I would see some type of damage reduction. Because it's been so clearly the theme of late. That's what this post was about. The sheer amount of damage reduction champs to be released in general lately. Not about Corvus or Ghost or whatever. Nor is it about Nova specifically..at all. I think folks are misunderstanding my point.

edited January 2020
    RoninMan said:

So handle champs with other options? DoT damage or ramp up champions are good too. Ronin, Blade, SL, G2099, CB, Torch, Havok, GP, DV, Hype, Rulk, Masacre, Surfer, Darkhawk, Omega, Elsa, Mysterio, Iceman, IMIW, Domino, Void *takes a deep breath*. There’s plenty of champs that don’t rely on crits to deal damage, Kabam is just taking the huge focus off high burst damage champs and having people switch up their strategies. It’s not a new concept to change metas. Plus it might be worth noting that although Man-Thing negates the extra damage from crits, you can still crit him, so any abilities that rely on crits such as Blade’s L2 bleeds can still happen.

You've listed ramp up champs as an alternative to burst champs. Unfortunately, that is not the case as ramp up champs will not be effective on damage reduction champs either. This is good though. It gives another example of a category of champs who are losing their value as damage reduction champs are flooding the game. For example.. Aegon, a popular champ..whether he is at a 5 combo or a 150 combo..if his damage and/or crits are being limited.. he is affected just as much.
    edited January 2020
    At least with Thing and Korg, there are times when their damage shield is down. You can use skill and strategy to still inflict some good damage at the right time. Will they still be annoying and tanky? Yeah, but at least there isn't a line in their description that completely limits damage across the board regardless of strategy. I guess it's clear there's a push towards champs who deal passive damage of some sort.
  • MadcatMadcat Posts: 385 ★★★
    Corvus, Ghost, and Wasp walk through content with guaranteed crits. Same reason we saw a surge of bleed immune, bleed punishers, and/or non-villains to counter Blade.

Also why we are seeing more autoblock/miss/evade mechanics. A single random evade that you do not catch in high end content = a dead champion = revives need to be purchased.

Passive debuffs and damage effects on new champs are also up for the same reason. They scale better with nodes on defense, so inherently better for the AI than players.

Lol corvus does not cut through nova. That crit damage reduction is massive.

Who disagreed with this? 😂 Someone is just logging in to go down the list and disagree with everything.
    *disagree on this comment incoming*