Make it Easier for Those Without Summoner’s Sigil and Less Repetitive for All

Let me start out by acknowledging that this probably won’t even get read by the devs. They’ll just ignore it and move on, I know that.

I’ve been an avid player of Contest of Champions for years now. I’ve gotten my fair share of a collection and run an alliance. This has been my favorite app of all time, but over the past year I found myself... disappointed. I thought about why I haven’t enjoyed it as much as I used to and came to a very important conclusion.

Firstly, after the release of the Summoner’s Sigil I’ve found that it’s become harder and harder to get anything other than duplicates, unless you purchase the Sigil. I’ve noticed that some of the top players who have the Sigil have the latest and greatest Champ, while the rest are scrounging for scraps.

How this could be improved is simple. I know that you can get a free four star from completing Act 1, but most people already have and then don’t get the reward. Instead, how about a new level-based Champion reward system, where after every level you get a free Champion of a certain rarity (10 and below you get 2*s, 11-25 you get 3*s, 26-40 you get 4*s, 41-60 you get 5*s, and 61+ you get 6*s, although that’s only a suggestion of what levels), and also everybody who’s already at any level gets the rewards they should’ve earned.

That brings me to the next problem. It’s very hard to level up, so what if you earned more exp for leveling up Champions?

Next, I’ve found that after a certain level quests become more and more repetitive. As Marvel Future Fight did recently, perhaps there should be puzzle-like quests? Not just fights but also puzzles to solve.

With that being said, another problem is that for new players it is harder to obtain anything that can actually help them out. It’s almost as if you need to clear the story to get the items you need to clear the story. There should be a welcome bonus or some other form of reward to help new players. It took me 3 years just to get a 5*, and I only had one 4* at that point.

Next, as I said before, it’s becoming increasingly harder to get “the best” Champions. And with that issue comes one with Alliances. Players judge because you don’t have a Squirrel Girl or an Ægon or a Nova or even a Thanos. They won’t let you into an Alliance because you’re “too weak” when you need to join an alliance to get stronger. As an alliance leader I find myself judged as well because of how few Champions that are deemed “the best” I have, and therefore I can’t even do much as post a recruitment message.

Over the past few years the Contest has shifted from Free-to-play to Pay-to-Win, and that takes most all fun out of it. I no longer can do much besides clear Event Quests and watch those who’ve paid succeed.

All in all, I really hope that this game stays alive and isn't going anywhere soon. But my mind might be changed if these flaws keep up. The Contest has never been perfect, but with these issues it becomes more of a paid app than a fun one. I know nobody’s going to read this, but if you do, please at least consider what I’m saying. I know I’m not the only one who’s brought these to your attention, and certainly not the last one developers will ignore. Please make the Contest fun again. Please.

Comments

• RapRap Member Posts: 3,209 ★★★★
    edited January 2020
    That is pretty much the truth. You get the stuff you need long after you need it. It has always been "strain and stubborn and power your way through, destroy your inventory and then we will give you what you needed to begin with! Or purchase it beforehand!" I am growing weary of grinding up 5 stars i can't raise for lack of t2a and t5b...and even with this "wonderfully nutty" months event...i am playing less and less everyday...
  • RapRap Member Posts: 3,209 ★★★★
    edited January 2020
    It has become endlessly repetative and i am stuck ranking 4 stars i don't really need to rank to prevent the waste of t4c and t1as...like a sick love afair! "If you love me you will hurt yourself for me! Run the gauntlet for me baby!"
  • Lotso2004Lotso2004 Member Posts: 12
    And also, they make it way to easy to get everything you don’t need, while making it impossible to get what you do. Today was literally the first time I grinded in months, and that was only for Insider points, like pretty much every other time I’ve played lately.
  • BriceMiesterBriceMiester Member Posts: 279
    I agree with the need for T2As and T5Bs and why does ISO have to expire so quickly, I am constantly selling ISO cause I have run out of Champs I want to level up and cant get my 5*s up cause T2As and T5Bs are Borderline Impossible to Obtain without paying a Ridiculous amount of Money, instead of making Sundays Daily Quest a mix of Class Catalysts it should be an Alpha Catalyst Day, and they should give the ability to get some T5B shards on the Daily Quest, even if it takes forever to get it's at least giving us a little something.
  • Lotso2004Lotso2004 Member Posts: 12
    The problem is, I’m kind of not wrong about the Sigil. I got all of these brand new and cool Champions during the free trial, and then all I got were dupes. I know that that claim could be tied to pure luck, but it’s probably not.

Also, I just realized that they also make paid level-based rewards.
  • Mathking13Mathking13 Member Posts: 988 ★★★
    I can confirm that some of the best pulls I have ever gotten have been from before I started spending money on this game. This includes champions like Domino, Masacre, Sentinel and I'm pretty sure I got Aegon just before I started on the Sigil. Sure I've gotten other good champions like Claire since then, but yeah I've gotten as good a ratio for champions I enjoy before and after I started spending.
    I've also been keeping track of what I've gotten from stuff like PHCs and other crystals with different tiers/types of rewards in them. I've collected data on 400 of my PHCs, and at least 10 of the 16 4-stars I've gotten have been in the first 200 (before I started spending). I also pulled 2 5-stars from login GMCs IN A ROW near the start. Again that's from an account that wasn't spending at the time. And what's the best I've gotten since I started spending? 450 units from a stack of 5 Uncollected Arena Crystals. Not nearly as statistically unlikely. So yeah if anything, I've gotten BETTER luck before I started spending money.
    (oh yeah I actually made a google form to collect crystal opening information. if you want the link, feel free to DM me. I'd appreciate all the data I can get)
    If you're still getting frustrated or bored with the game though, I can recommend 2 other courses of action.
    Firstly, try starting a new account and play around with different champions. If you don't want to do that, maybe just try dealing with content you've already done with champions you don't use much. Like maybe try out Taskmaster or Mister Sinister or Korg or someone else. You might find you discover a champion you really enjoy.
    Secondly, if the game is frustrating you enough, there is a thing known as uninstalling or taking a break from this game. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying you need to play this game every day until you or it dies... Trust me I got frustrated with this game about 2 years ago now? Took about a 9-12 month break and now I'm really enjoying this game again.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,760 ★★★★★
    Lotso2004 said:

The problem is, I’m kind of not wrong about the Sigil. I got all of these brand new and cool Champions during the free trial, and then all I got were dupes. I know that that claim could be tied to pure luck, but it’s probably not.

You've got zero proof. How do you know you wouldn't have pulled them sigil or not.

In other news, i got gas in my car because I paid my credit card bill.
  • MoNsTeR_804MoNsTeR_804 Member Posts: 726 ★★★
    Lotso2004 said:

@Lotso2004 Dude, it's how the game works. Kabam needs to earn money buy having in-game purchases. Besides, maybe you were just unlucky half the time.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,487 ★★★★★
    The Sigil doesn't influence the Champs you pull.