**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Please explain me like I am 5 why Kabam doesn't want us to have 30min aq timers?

hunter2377hunter2377 Posts: 24
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
So Kabam called 30 min timers a punishment for us.
We are asking for them forever.

Just need a simple and honest explanation (preferably from a Kabam employee) why we can't have them.

Comments

• ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    so u can constantly login more
    don't have to tell you how many times I have to check my phone to see if anyone has moved.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    1) Kabam said some players find 30 minute timers punishing not that 30 minute timers punishing.

Of course players took this, twisted it and falsely use it for their narrative.

2) "Hey Guys,

We've talked about this quite a few times, and unfortunately, have nothing new to add. While we have said some reasons that people find unpopular, the fact remains that at the very least, the mode is built and tuned for 1 hour timers, the maps are tuned for 1 hour timers, and this encourages strategy, and necessitates time management.

This is part of the game, and we don't currently have any plans to change them."
    http://community.wonderhill.com/forums/showthread.php?795012-Permanent-30-Min-Timer/page5
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    Easy to monopolize your time with 1 hour timers.

What they don't realize is how many top players have basically retired because they can't do map 6 with 1 hour timer burden and don't want to share their login.

So they go to relaxed alliances and dominate AW outside of tier 1-2 because they don't belong in those lower tiers.

Even 45 min AQ timers would bring them back.
  • HoidCosmereHoidCosmere Posts: 550 ★★
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    1) Kabam said some players find 30 minute timers punishing not that 30 minute timers punishing.

Of course players took this, twisted it and falsely use it for their narrative.

2) "Hey Guys,

We've talked about this quite a few times, and unfortunately, have nothing new to add. While we have said some reasons that people find unpopular, the fact remains that at the very least, the mode is built and tuned for 1 hour timers, the maps are tuned for 1 hour timers, and this encourages strategy, and necessitates time management.

This is part of the game, and we don't currently have any plans to change them."
    http://community.wonderhill.com/forums/showthread.php?795012-Permanent-30-Min-Timer/page5

Saying that they are built for one hour timers does not explain in what way that they are built for them. The one hour timer works fine for my schedule, but I would not object to the 30 min timer either. I am just trying to understand the logic here.

I think you need to re-word that "1)" point.
  • Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★
    The reason a lot of top players aren't doing aq is bc they have t4cc crystals in stash and have no need for the current rewards.

And as much as I would prefer 30 minute timers, what makes aq hard is time management trying to finish. While I would totally support 30 minute timers for sanity purposes, it basically takes away what difficulty there is for aq, at least in map 5 and below.
  • OmniOmni Posts: 574 ★★★
    so u can constantly login more
    don't have to tell you how many times I have to check my phone to see if anyone has moved.

Maybe if BG2 finished as quickly as BG1 you wouldn't have to log on as much.

Run477 wrote: »
    The reason a lot of top players aren't doing aq is bc they have t4cc crystals in stash and have no need for the current rewards.

And as much as I would prefer 30 minute timers, what makes aq hard is time management trying to finish. While I would totally support 30 minute timers for sanity purposes, it basically takes away what difficulty there is for aq, at least in map 5 and below.

There is no difficulty in AQ... map 6 and below.

Time constraints are the number one reason top players/alliances play maps and tiers below their abilities. Many have resorted to sharing login information to deal with this.

Many others have just retired to more casual alliances, and then steal shards from lower tier alliances in AW because their abilities and rosters belong in tier 1... then get accused of being AW shells.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    With thirty minute timers there is a lot less need for team coordination and makes all maps too easy. I love thirty minute timers but i understand why it would negatively impact AQ. If the map was about 50% larger and had more fights I could see thirty minute timers being a thing but in the current state of AQ the maps are just too short to justify the use of thirty minute timers.
    Sungj wrote: »
    With thirty minute timers there is a lot less need for team coordination and makes all maps too easy. I love thirty minute timers but i understand why it would negatively impact AQ. If the map was about 50% larger and had more fights I could see thirty minute timers being a thing but in the current state of AQ the maps are just too short to justify the use of thirty minute timers.

None of the maps are hard. There is no team coordination needed beyond "do your path and don't hold everyone up even if that means sleep deprivation."

The 1 hour timer on map 6 is the number one catalyst for account sharing in this game.

Even 45 min timers for map 6 would bring back a lot of players and cut down on people piloting other people's accounts.

• KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    The only reason I can think of is if an alliance has members that span across the globe. With 30 minute timers it's possible to beat some maps in a few hours, meaning those who are asleep when it starts may wake up to a 100% map and not get any points which would shut them out of rewards. There is always a way around this, like leaving a node up for the person to take down but there is always the chance that this doesn't happen unfortunately.

I'm sure as alliances we could find a work around for this, and keep the 30 minute timers which in 99% of the cases are great for everyone. Sticking 60 minute timers just makes it take longer to free up your champs for other content, thereby giving kabam the impression that it generates more revenue. It just baffles me when kabam promotes the 30 minute timers as a bonus for players on occasion, then backflips into making them permanent would harm us.
  • Stara99Stara99 Posts: 425 ★★
    So does that mean they are punishing us in aw by taking timer down to 60 minutes from 90. Punish us more and take it to 30
  • Gimli_SoGGimli_SoG Posts: 88
    edited August 2017
    Stara99 wrote: »
    So does that mean they are punishing us in aw by taking timer down to 60 minutes from 90. Punish us more and take it to 30

That is taken completely out of context. Since the map is 1.5 bigger, they likely reduced the timer to balance out the additional number of nodes you'll have to traverse.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Man, it never ceases to amaze me how people stretch that word. It's not "punishment". It flat out prevents people from being able to participate. There are some in my Ally. They live all the way across the world. AQ usually opens 3 P.M. my time. By the time they get on at night, the Map is done. Someone else posted about the same issue last night.
    There are other reasons like the fact that it IS designed for 1-Hour, but I thought I would explain why it was referred to that way. It stops people from being able to participate because of different Time Zones and not being able to log on at the same times as the rest of us Die-Hards.
  • A different way to phrase it is, people want an AQ map designed for 1 hour but to get energy every 30 mins.
    Kpatrix wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of is if an alliance has members that span across the globe. With 30 minute timers it's possible to beat some maps in a few hours, meaning those who are asleep when it starts may wake up to a 100% map and not get any points which would shut them out of rewards. There is always a way around this, like leaving a node up for the person to take down but there is always the chance that this doesn't happen unfortunately.

I'm sure as alliances we could find a work around for this, and keep the 30 minute timers which in 99% of the cases are great for everyone. Sticking 60 minute timers just makes it take longer to free up your champs for other content, thereby giving kabam the impression that it generates more revenue. It just baffles me when kabam promotes the 30 minute timers as a bonus for players on occasion, then backflips into making them permanent would harm us.

What are you talking about? I am honestly not sure if someone has ever scored a zero. But my understanding was someone just has to join the map to get rewards, whether they take any tile at all.
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★
    Man, it never ceases to amaze me how people stretch that word. It's not "punishment". It flat out prevents people from being able to participate. There are some in my Ally. They live all the way across the world. AQ usually opens 3 P.M. my time. By the time they get on at night, the Map is done. Someone else posted about the same issue last night.
    There are other reasons like the fact that it IS designed for 1-Hour, but I thought I would explain why it was referred to that way. It stops people from being able to participate because of different Time Zones and not being able to log on at the same times as the rest of us Die-Hards.

Maybe start doing something other than map 1? Would solve this problem
    GbSarkar wrote: »

Maybe start doing something other than map 1? Would solve this problem

Funny. That's not what Map we do. The fact is it doesn't matter what Map it is. They can't slight one group of Players because those rocking 5 and 6 want to finish faster. It needs to be available for all.

If that's a problem, they can always find an alliance located in a more convient time zone. Again, I ask, if someone scores zero but still joins the map, do they miss out on the rewards?

Also, what part of the world is it that they can't join until it's totally clear? Are you running map 2? Map 5, even with 30 minute timers, takes the least possible moves (assuming not doubling a path) to be 11 moves. That's really mooching off other people's energy (which means the map is clearing slower anyway). With 30 minute timers, that means 4.5 hours to get that energy. The fastest I think we have completed map 5 with 10 people and everyone moving efficiently was like 7 or 8 hours. What I'm saying is, if you are doing map 5, it's hard to envision that happening unless the absent person is also inactive.
  • Dave_the_destroyerDave_the_destroyer Posts: 981 ★★
    Rektor wrote: »

What they don't realize is how many top players have basically retired because they can't do map 6 with 1 hour timer burden and don't want to share their login.

So they go to relaxed alliances and dominate AW outside of tier 1-2 because they don't belong in those lower tiers.

Yet another " I know loads of top players and/or allys that have quit because of this" BS!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    You can join a map and score 0, you'll still get all the rewards

If that's a problem, they can always find an alliance located in a more convient time zone. Again, I ask, if someone scores zero but still joins the map, do they miss out on the rewards?

Also, what part of the world is it that they can't join until it's totally clear? Are you running map 2? Map 5, even with 30 minute timers, takes the least possible moves (assuming not doubling a path) to be 11 moves. That's really mooching off other people's energy (which means the map is clearing slower anyway). With 30 minute timers, that means 4.5 hours to get that energy. The fastest I think we have completed map 5 with 10 people and everyone moving efficiently was like 7 or 8 hours. What I'm saying is, if you are doing map 5, it's hard to envision that happening unless the absent person is also inactive.

The game does not separate people based on location. People are joined from all over. That's how it is, and that's how it should be. If people choose to stick to an Ally in their area, that's entirely up to them. They can't be forced to do it because people want faster AQ. The Map doesn't matter. It's designed for 1-Hour Timers. For all Maps, for everyone.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    30 minute timers affect scoring too. More allies are willing to run map 6 (and more times) with 30 minute timers, so it's costly (donation wise) to the players too.

But honestly, 5 year olds shouldn't be playing so I can't help you little guy :)

The game does not separate people based on location. People are joined from all over. That's how it is, and that's how it should be. If people choose to stick to an Ally in their area, that's entirely up to them. They can't be forced to do it because people want faster AQ. The Map doesn't matter. It's designed for 1-Hour Timers. For all Maps, for everyone.

Maybe you didn't understand my question. I was asking who can't hop on map 5 and do even one fight before it's completed by 9 people with 30 minute timers? With 10 people, it takes 7-8 hours minimum with great efficiency. With 9 people, it's getting closer to 10 hours. Yes, it's a small window for someone exactly 12 hour differenceif everyone of your other 9 alliance members were in the same time zone and were all totally efficient. But it's really not likely the person isn't awake at all during aq so that they can't even fight one fight (which was what I understood this claim to be).

Yet another " I know loads of top players and/or allys that have quit because of this" BS!

Or I'm speaking about myself and others after spending significant time in a top 5-10 AQ alliance.

Lol @ your assumption though.
    My other point wasn't that they can't join any alliance they want. My point was if they feel like they aren't able to contribute or the alliance feels they can't contribute bc of the time zone issue, they can find a new alliance

Or I'm speaking about myself and others after spending significant time in a top 5-10 AQ alliance.

List just 100 that have retired because of this?? I bet you 100 to 1 that you wont be able to??
    My other point wasn't that they can't join any alliance they want. My point was if they feel like they aren't able to contribute or the alliance feels they can't contribute bc of the time zone issue, they can find a new alliance

so because this change would benefit you, literally 000s of other players should leave allys that they have been with for years, have friends in etc etc

Seems fair

How many t4cc crystals do u have unopened currently? How many 5* champs are you needing to rank up to r5 but lack the t4ccs to do it. The people I know that aren't worrying about aq after spending time in top alliances aren't doing it bc they don't see the value in aq rewards this season. They don't like 1 hour timers and map 6 time constraints, sure. But it's been more of a "it's not worth my time for these rewards" as opposed to just "I hate 1 hour timers so I'm not doing it." I have to believe if kabam was giving out t2a frags for top aq scores, you would be in a top alliance running map 6.
    Lol. 5* champs to r3 (not to r5. I'm such a noob)

List just 100 that have retired because of this?? I bet you 100 to 1 that you wont be able to??

I bet you 100 to 1 that I don't care about your opinion.

Players in top alliances are burdened by 1 hour timers on map 6. Join a top alliance or poll them yourself and find out.

The solution is retiring to more relaxed alliances and stealing all those easy tier AW shards (legal), or someone piloting other members' accounts (not legal but allowed), or reducing map 6 timers to 45 mins (best but Kabam won't do it).