**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Character Purchase

Why isn't there an option to purchase the characters that you want? That would be a pretty good idea to execute on Kabam's side of things. Say for instance I want Venom or Dormammu. There is an option to purchase either Venom or Dormammu and depending on the rating I want, I'd have to spend more units. A 2 star could be 20 units, a 3 star is 200 units, a 4 star is 600 units, and a 5 star is 800 units. It would be brilliant. Of course there are deals such as if you're looking to purchase a character to dupe them, you will only unlock their signature ability with an increase of 1. Another one could be it has to be a character that has been around for at least two showcase arena events within 15 days, which means you cannot get Kingpin the very day he is put in the arenas. Is anybody else thinking this would have been a good move?

Comments

• Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,763 ★★★★★
    If this is a suggestion, then it is in te wrong category.
    Also, is a terrible idea. It would kill the game and ruin the main design of "randomness".
    Not to mention the values there ... 600 units for a 4-star of our choise? How about 2500 units for a 4-star crystal?
  • Options
    NormanBJJNormanBJJ Posts: 301 ★★
    Awful suggestion tbh, do you know how many people would just buy an Odin and pick the best champs in the game? I would already have a Hyperion if we could choose
  • Options
    Biollante442Biollante442 Posts: 74
    edited September 2017
    You're missing the point, but I digress. I'm aware people would buy packs to get their champs, but that is the gist of the idea. Also, the design of "randomness" is flawed from the ground up. It is literally rigged to the point of obvious and disappointing notion. I don't see how you can "kill the game", but again I digress. 2500 for a 4 star crystal? I think that's a terrible Idea, but to each is their own I suppose and I was giving an example on the value, not straight forward pitch to my idea. It's in the post.
  • Options
    You're missing the point, but I digress. I'm aware people would buy packs to get their champs, but that is the gist of the idea. Also, the design of "randomness" is flawed from the ground up. It is literally rigged to the point of obvious and disappointing notion. I don't see how you can "kill the game", but again I digress. 2500 for a 4 star crystal? I think that's a terrible Idea, but to each is their own I suppose.

2500 units is the value of a 4-star crystal ingame. I didn't make that value.
    Units are easy to obtain. People would farm them and buy the champ they want in just a month or two, when this game wants you to be a year or two chasing the champ you always wanted to have.
    It would ruin the game because it would kill the main concept of RNG, and basically allow anyone to get everything they want to without any luck at all
  • Options
    Sure, units are easy to obtain with purchase of packs, but with grinding in arenas, quests, and story mode it is work. Not saying it is impossible work, but it is still hard work nonetheless in the end. If you are speaking on Kabam's "special offer" of 2500 that includes 1 4 star crystal and extra stuff, I wouldn't say that is the value. If they wanted to get just anyone without luck at all, they would still have to work for it or purchase the packs of units to get it. Either way, the main concept is not ruined, it is changed in a different direction. It's not like I'm saying "put every single roster on the list and buy the ones you want" I'm speaking on terms of like showcase arena. Feature a set number of characters, at least 2 or 3 and give the option to purchase. It's whatever though, just an idea I'm throwing out there.
  • Options
    Well I was refering to farmable units, not the ones from the unit packs ...
    If they are going to sell champs, they can't sell the ones that are currently in the crystals. So maybe a OG Vision and OG deadpool would be "ok"
  • Options
    SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    Sure, units are easy to obtain with purchase of packs, but with grinding in arenas, quests, and story mode it is work. Not saying it is impossible work, but it is still hard work nonetheless in the end. If you are speaking on Kabam's "special offer" of 2500 that includes 1 4 star crystal and extra stuff, I wouldn't say that is the value. If they wanted to get just anyone without luck at all, they would still have to work for it or purchase the packs of units to get it. Either way, the main concept is not ruined, it is changed in a different direction. It's not like I'm saying "put every single roster on the list and buy the ones you want" I'm speaking on terms of like showcase arena. Feature a set number of characters, at least 2 or 3 and give the option to purchase. It's whatever though, just an idea I'm throwing out there.

If I grinded arena actively like I used to I could farm 4 thousand to 5 thousand units a month selling champs for units is a terrible idea. First off then there would be absolutely no value for premium hero crystals, 5 star hero crystals or four star hero crystals since you have no need to open them since you already bought the champion you want. Secondly, with the rate people buy units and farm units unless it was a crazy number like 20 thousand or 25 thousand units for a specific 5 star champion it would completely disrupt the progression of this game. Finally, the random drop system is not flawed in any way, it was designed in such a way it would keep people playing for years and years and obviously this system has worked. Yes it can be disappointing to pull a lot of "bad" champions but that in no way makes the system flawed. By playing well you can do all content with any tier of champion it was designed for. Any decent roster of random 4 stars can do all content except LOL because all content in game except LOL was designed for 4 star and under champions and LOL can be done with a lot of different 5 star champions or even 4* starlord. Now before you say some people get unlucky and will never pull 4* starlord out of a crystal he has been in arena many times and has gone for quite cheap so there is no excuse for luck hindering your progress in game when if you had been playing actively there were more than enough opportunities to gain the resources you want or need.
  • Options
    While we are at it, let me buy a 5 star star lord for 1000 units, will even throw in a 200 unit tip.....seriously horrible idea and would phase out 75% of in game characters, I ean, who gonna buy kamala khan or ant man.

Your sarcasm needs work, just saying. Since it flew over people's heads I'll just say AGAIN it........was........a........simple idea that I pitched out there for feedback on the game is all. Still a good idea to me based on how I explained it, honestly.
  • Options
    AppleisgodAppleisgod Posts: 1,420 ★★★★
    edited September 2017
    I have heard good ideas on the forums
    I have heard bad ideas on the forums
    But this "idea" is the latter
  • Options
    Sungj wrote: »

If I grinded arena actively like I used to I could farm 4 thousand to 5 thousand units a month selling champs for units is a terrible idea. First off then there would be absolutely no value for premium hero crystals, 5 star hero crystals or four star hero crystals since you have no need to open them since you already bought the champion you want. Secondly, with the rate people buy units and farm units unless it was a crazy number like 20 thousand or 25 thousand units for a specific 5 star champion it would completely disrupt the progression of this game. Finally, the random drop system is not flawed in any way, it was designed in such a way it would keep people playing for years and years and obviously this system has worked. Yes it can be disappointing to pull a lot of "bad" champions but that in no way makes the system flawed. By playing well you can do all content with any tier of champion it was designed for. Any decent roster of random 4 stars can do all content except LOL because all content in game except LOL was designed for 4 star and under champions and LOL can be done with a lot of different 5 star champions or even 4* starlord. Now before you say some people get unlucky and will never pull 4* starlord out of a crystal he has been in arena many times and has gone for quite cheap so there is no excuse for luck hindering your progress in game when if you had been playing actively there were more than enough opportunities to gain the resources you want or need.

The system is flawed, I don't care about the "pull a disappointing character" bit because that is in every game. Hell that's how I feel about Jurassic World in getting a disappointing dinosaur, but it's how the game is. I can see you are against it, but clearly people that can purchase packs and pull 4-star and 5-star out of their behind like it's candy. You're right, there is no excuse, but it is still something that happens. I mean really, but again, it was a suggested idea, not something for people to go on a rant about and get their feelings hurt.
  • Options
    Appleisgod wrote: »
    But this "idea" is the ladder

"Latter"
  • Options
    AppleisgodAppleisgod Posts: 1,420 ★★★★

"Latter"

Damn you auto correct lol
  • Options

"Latter"

Damn you auto correct lol

The auto correct is strong with this one.
  • Options
    SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★

The system is flawed, I don't care about the "pull a disappointing character" bit because that is in every game. Hell that's how I feel about Jurassic World in getting a disappointing dinosaur, but it's how the game is. I can see you are against it, but clearly people that can purchase packs and pull 4-star and 5-star out of their behind like it's candy. You're right, there is no excuse, but it is still something that happens. I mean really, but again, it was a suggested idea, not something for people to go on a rant about and get their feelings hurt.

I wasn't ranting I was deconstructing your argument and explaining why your sell champions ideas wouldn't translate well into the game. Would you care to elaborate on how the system is flawed in your opinion because you didn't address any of my counter arguments and just restated your original point which is not actually helping convey your overall argument. You have to understand in light of all these complain, ridiculous suggestions and rant posts on this forum as of late people are getting tired or threads that don't seem to be doing any good for the game. Yes you made a suggestion but based on your lack of counter arguments to people in this thread I assume you did not stop and think of both sides and carefully analyze your points and why people would disagree with them, thats why people seem to be attacking your post, it simply wasn't a well thought out idea and people respond negatively to that.
  • Options
    Sungj wrote: »

I wasn't ranting I was deconstructing your argument and explaining why your sell champions ideas wouldn't translate well into the game. Would you care to elaborate on how the system is flawed in your opinion because you didn't address any of my counter arguments and just restated your original point which is not actually helping convey your overall argument. You have to understand in light of all these complain, ridiculous suggestions and rant posts on this forum as of late people are getting tired or threads that don't seem to be doing any good for the game. Yes you made a suggestion but based on your lack of counter arguments to people in this thread I assume you did not stop and think of both sides and carefully analyze your points and why people would disagree with them, thats why people seem to be attacking your post, it simply wasn't a well thought out idea and people respond negatively to that.

That's the issue though, I don't understand because I'm fairly new to this site. I joined as recent as August, but this is the first time that I actually was ON on this site due to outside activities preventing me from putting time, effort, and energy into getting into this. There's no need to assume anything in all honesty, simply asking would suffice as well. It's a well thought out idea, but I was giving an example on how the idea worked, not a concrete idea that was set in stone. The point of my pitch was to give a slight insight as to what I was trying to sell. The actual idea itself is nowhere near the example I actually gave. I didn't address your counter arguments because I was reading and addressing other people's attacks. I understand people don't like that, but I failed to see anybody actually ask me to elaborate on my idea or even to break it down before giving actual feedback, just a bunch of assumptions and jumping on the bandwagon of negativity. I've said before that what I posted was just an example of the idea, nothing official in any way, shape, or form.
  • Options
    This is a bad idea
  • Options
    GamerGamer Posts: 10,171 ★★★★★
    Not a good ides then manny wil just hav GP 5 Stars SL. And so AA. Shuld im keep com with Them it wil simple not be fun to play a game you just Can paid to win this game is luck and skils basse. So. It wil be cool If ther make a ofter. Let say 5k unit for a 5 Stars. Ikow the prics is alot. But it the gabel. U Can take Ore not But not just Buy the champ u wont then all wil Buy now hav a GP and AA. SL. Hpirions. And spark (spideys tech). It wil shut the fun to keep play. Becasse when u so hav the champ u wont u wont play the game Thah much Thah wash it im out. So im disagreed with u.
  • Options
    Gamer wrote: »
    Not a good ides then manny wil just hav GP 5 Stars SL. And so AA. Shuld im keep com with Them it wil simple not be fun to play a game you just Can paid to win this game is luck and skils basse. So. It wil be cool If ther make a ofter. Let say 5k unit for a 5 Stars. Ikow the prics is alot. But it the gabel. U Can take Ore not But not just Buy the champ u wont then all wil Buy now hav a GP and AA. SL. Hpirions. And spark (spideys tech). It wil shut the fun to keep play. Becasse when u so hav the champ u wont u wont play the game Thah much Thah wash it im out. So im disagreed with u.

That's not the idea I was pitching, but alright. Misconception in buying the champions you want with a list of the roster and just buy them.
  • Options
    GamerGamer Posts: 10,171 ★★★★★
    Gamer wrote: »

That's not the idea I was pitching, but alright. Misconception in buying the champions you want with a list of the roster and just buy them.
    In the long run u culd simpel just log in and watig to let Them com in so Yeah it wash basliy you ides. But im out. Im just disagreed. With u. Im dont wont to ruid the ides more. Pech
  • Options
    This is a bad idea

I've yet to give the actual idea though.
  • Options
    SlyCat42SlyCat42 Posts: 500 ★★
    Ok, so a lot of people are putting this across in a much more aggressive way, but I'll explain it simply.

Your idea has been done before (aka purchasing champs) and has been requested in the past. In the game Marvel Future Fight they do let you purchase champions. So, why not in Marvel Contest of Champions?

In MCoC the entire game is based around what is essentially a gambling system. It's not the only game to do this, many games including Roller Coaster Tycoon and even all the Jurassic Park mobile games feature spin wheels. While there are certain aspects in place to make sure you do steadily get new characters part of the game is the randomness and sometimes getting a good pull. They make up the games good and bad moments.

If you could pull anything you wanted at any time people would clear the game in less than a week by just picking all the strongest characters, and the game would die.
  • Options
    SlyCat42 wrote: »
    Ok, so a lot of people are putting this across in a much more aggressive way, but I'll explain it simply.

Your idea has been done before (aka purchasing champs) and has been requested in the past. In the game Marvel Future Fight they do let you purchase champions. So, why not in Marvel Contest of Champions?

In MCoC the entire game is based around what is essentially a gambling system. It's not the only game to do this, many games including Roller Coaster Tycoon and even all the Jurassic Park mobile games feature spin wheels. While there are certain aspects in place to make sure you do steadily get new characters part of the game is the randomness and sometimes getting a good pull. They make up the games good and bad moments.

If you could pull anything you wanted at any time people would clear the game in less than a week by just picking all the strongest characters, and the game would die.

Finally, someone with a better approach and less hateful. I wasn't all too aware that the premise was a gambling system in any way. My idea wasn't for simply picking any and all from a roster and dropping them in your collection, it was more focused on the versus arena kind of thing. I mean when you say "strongest character" that can vary. One person can say Kamala Kahn is garbage, but another can be a complete pro and have her as their most powerful pick. I wasn't intending to pitch an idea where you just go "Oh I want Venom, let me spend money on units, there I got him, who's next" kind of deal. Thanks for at least breaking it down in a much more passive way.
  • Options
    SlyCat42SlyCat42 Posts: 500 ★★
    @Biollante442 ,

Right, and generally that would be true, but the game isn't perfectly balanced.

Among the top most powerful in the game are Starlord, Hyperion, Magik, 4 star 99 sig level Scarlet Witch and so on. If you could just pick up those characters it would make the game infinitely easier and it wouldn't last as long. Part of the game is the grind.

Also, allowing them to be purchased would invalidate all the people who DID grind and spent hours upon hours putting in time in arenas and farming crystals to get those characters. Crystal openings are also one of the most popular videos online.

Btw the name is a Godzilla reference right? Lol haven't seen that one in years. Mechagodzilla OP though.
  • Options
    SlyCat42 wrote: »
    @Biollante442 ,

Right, and generally that would be true, but the game isn't perfectly balanced.

Among the top most powerful in the game are Starlord, Hyperion, Magik, 4 star 99 sig level Scarlet Witch and so on. If you could just pick up those characters it would make the game infinitely easier and it wouldn't last as long. Part of the game is the grind.

Also, allowing them to be purchased would invalidate all the people who DID grind and spent hours upon hours putting in time in arenas and farming crystals to get those characters. Crystal openings are also one of the most popular videos online.

Btw the name is a Godzilla reference right? Lol haven't seen that one in years. Mechagodzilla OP though.

Yes, it is a Godzilla reference lol! You're the 3rd one to catch it ever since I had it. Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, Biollante, Space Godzilla, and Destroyah are OP. If we're talking Mechagodzilla 2, most definitely OP.
  • Options
    AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★
    edited September 2017
    Nobody was being hateful @Biollante442. You just construed the posts opposing your suggestion as being hateful. You came up with an idea (or example of an idea...I'm not sure as you seemed to be backpedalling at that point) that goes against the grain of what this game is about.

You also kept trying to defend the idea, despite others who are more experienced in the game explaining how it could not work. In the context of this game it is a bad idea despite your well-meaning intentions, and people pointed out as such. Nobody made personal attacks on you (e.g. like someone saying you're an idiot and you say stupid things), they simply disagreed with your suggestion and explained why.
  • Options
    Addyos wrote: »
    Nobody was being hateful @Biollante442. You just construed the posts opposing your suggestion as being hateful. You came up with an idea (or example of an idea...I'm not sure as you seemed to be backpedalling at that point) that goes against the grain of what this game is about.

You also kept trying to defend the idea, despite others who are more experienced in the game explaining how it could not work. In the context of this game it is a bad idea despite your well-meaning intentions, and people pointed out as such. Nobody made personal attacks on you, they simply disagreed with your suggestion and explained why.

I'm not opposed to constructive criticism, so long as it is actually constructive, not just people coming up and saying "Oh that's a terrible idea!" and just leave it at that along with poor sarcasm. The reason I was defending it was because of the fact that I didn't even pitch the idea, I gave an example of what I was closely thinking, but not actually pitching. I was defending an idea that I didn't even explain yet. Why say something is a bad idea if I didn't even tell what it was or go into detail on what it was? I'm sure there are more experienced because I've only been playing the game for 3 years so yeah. They were explaining how my example couldn't work, yes, but the example was just out there.
  • Options
    AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★
    "Why isn't there an option to purchase the characters that you want? That would be a pretty good idea to execute on Kabam's side of things."

That sounded like a pitch to me. Pretty sure many others read the first few sentences in your post and ran with the idea that you advocating Kabam selling champs directly for a price, because that's what you actually said lol. And apologies for saying that you weren't as experienced as other players. Having said you only joined here in August I assumed you were bit of a novice, because honestly that was an idea a novice would probably make when they are accustomed to buying characters directly in other games.

I used to play Injustice so I'm accustomed to the idea that you could buy most champs directly. The gambling aspect of this game threw me off initially, but I accepted that it is how the game is designed to be. Selling champs directly will alter the balance of the game and may just not work.
  • Options
    "Why isn't there an option to purchase the characters that you want? That would be a pretty good idea to execute on Kabam's side of things."

That sounded like a pitch to me. Pretty sure many others read the first few sentences in your post and ran with the idea that you advocating Kabam selling champs directly for a price, because that's what you actually said lol. And apologies for saying that you weren't as experienced as other players. Having said you only joined here in August I assumed you were bit of a novice, because honestly that was an idea a novice would probably make when they are accustomed to buying characters directly in other games.

I used to play Injustice so I'm accustomed to the idea that you could buy most champs directly. The gambling aspect of this game threw me off initially, but I accepted that it is how the game is designed to be. Selling champs directly will alter the balance of the game and may just not work.

That was a general statement though made on my part. Simple mistake on my end I guess since I'm new to the forums and it's clear people are alot more unsavory here than in an alliance. What seems like a pitch and what the actual pitch is are two completely different things. I know because I've been there, done that, all that stuff back in my early days of playing COC and Jurassic World.

I would have asked for elaboration though instead of just outright assuming. I'm sure people have pitched good, bad, and ugly ideas and that makes people post negativity or bluntness, but not once since I've been on here have I seen anybody even really ask "what do you mean?" or "Give me details to what your statement is" like that.

It's fine, it happens. Lately it seems nobody really asks questions much anymore so it is mostly assumptions being thrown around. I'm not jumping on you or attacking you about that, just saying is all, but I accept your apology.

That's all that needed to be said really. I mean it worked on injustice just fine and the roster is massive and still growing even today. The gambling thing still bothers me, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it and all that. Granted, I don't have the time to play like I want to so yeah.
  • Options
    Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★

That's exactly how I read it.
    Maybe you need to actually pitch your idea because right now people come into the thread, see those first few sentences and assume that was your pitch, which isn't their fault as you worded it in that way.