**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

A deep(ish) dive into Silver Surfer

Ok, so...to preface this, I whaled out hardcore this fourth (that 6 star nexus literally short circuited my rationality) and although I pulled some pretty great champs, the 6 star Silver Surfer really caught my eye.

Curious (I mean its freakin 6 star Silver Surfer!) I spent just about all weekend playing him and testing him out with different synergies and I have to say, he is probably on my top 5 favorite characters to play both animation and concept wise. Everything about him is so smooth and the concept of his kit works really well and flows with the rhythm of battle. This being said, unfortunately I’m a bit let down with what I can produce with this character.

I believe after a bunch of trial and error, the best rotation I have found is this:

Immediately: Heavy/phase to generate power gain, this will speed up the following process.

Next: Attack until sp1 is available and use it when amor or fury is available in power cosmic. This will reset power gain.

Next: Repeat previous step until this time the opposite buff that you choose pops up. Activate sp1 to consume that now granting you 2 fury, 2 armor and refreshing power gain.

The final step: Build up sp3 using your heavy/phase to activate power gain as needed to refresh and keep all buffs active. (Power gain falls off twice as fast, so only keep one on at a time so when you activate it, it always is unique, argo, refreshing all the other buffs) Use Sp3 and enjoy.

At this point, if everything was followed appropriately, your energy burst damage from all your buffs should be decent and your just using your heavy to proct power gain to refresh everything while you go trigger happy on (now) unblockable sp2s.

Useful synergies:

Doctor Strange: Shorter power cosmic cool down (makes timing of power gain activations easier).

Hiendall + Guillotine : An extra buff for more energy damage.

The Problem:

This rotation is so brutally difficult to keep up. Literally if anything goes wrong, it’s over, plain and simple, buffs fall off and your back to square one.

This would be fine of course but the problem is, even under that intense game play precision, the damage, honestly... is just good.

I guess what I’m saying is, it’s ok to make something very difficult to maintain as long as the rewards are in kind but with Surfer, that skill is just not rewarded and I think that’s what’s bumming me out.

It’s rare that I find a champ that I love everything about and thoroughly enjoy playing with and feel like some how these pixels are special to me and Surfers got it!
It’s just...his damage/utility is not there. In fact the only place this worked was ROL Winter Soldier and that was only because he can’t throw special 3s.

My tweaks:

Damage: Just increase his attack stats by 25%, I think it will go a long way.

Quality of Life: Increase buff duration by 25%-50%. We need some time to deal with opponents special attacks.

Utility: If power cosmic is unavailable, heavy attack siphons buff from opponent for 5-8 seconds. This will give him access to more buffs that are not unique to him for more energy damage and since they are now unique, power cosmic buffs sustainability (i.e. refreshing fury, armor and power gain).

If phasing a projectile, Surfer absorbs object through board and metamorphoses it to a plume of regenerative gas on the other side. (This will help with sustainability)

I know this was long, but this character has soooo much potential and barely needs to be tweaked for him to be what...at least I think he should be. He’s so awesome, I want to use him everywhere but as it is now...he’s just prestige.

Comments

• LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    He should do more burst damage, the longer the fight the more likely you’ll drop his rotation and have to build up it again making his less enjoyable to play over time which I think is bad design, but this is the problem. If the fight is too short then you’ll never really build him making his whole design moot so it kinda makes sense to keep his damage low as a means of justifying his rotation, but personally I’m not a fan.

He’s a good champ against simple champs and simple fight, but the more complex the champs get along with the nodes the harder it is to maintain his rotation and get any decent damage out of him which gives players less of incentive to use him. At this point the level of mastery needed to use him in difficult fights just isn’t rewarding enough in my opinion.

The only real thing I like about him is his phase, which is shown at at its max in the vid I posted in your other thread. That in my option seems like the better rotation because it’s lets you dash in without worrying about being punished and your just short the 1 powergain debuff from his max buffs which really isn’t worth it. Another pro tip is to reach his sp3, trigger the second powergain with his heavy then immediately hit the sp3. This refreshes all his buffs as well as his phase which as I mentioned above let’s you immediately dash at the opponent again as shown in vid I mentioned earlier. I also like to trigger dex buff the go into sp2. His herald synergy also has potential, but you have to bring along Terrax so ew, hopefully the next herald is worth bringing, but that synergy sort of solves avoiding the ops sp3 that you mentioned.
    Also do you have him duped? The dupe really increases his buff duration, but I also like to bring in Cap IW for his synergy so I can’t say that his buff duration really needs to be increased he just needs to be really high sig.
    Vid also shows how to include his vigilance buff into the mix for his sp2, but again unfortunately I don’t feel like it’s worth it. Cool video though :o

https://youtu.be/JIFG8igDXo0
  • Southern_KantSouthern_Kant Posts: 157
    Pov: it's a old mcoc admin
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Posts: 418 ★★★
    So I don’t have him duped but I’m not sure it would really put him to where I know he can be. @Lunae

His kit I do think is excellent but it just needs the smallest of tweaks.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    thats a very interesting buff idea, and it would make him super good
    edited July 2020
    One last thing I’ll say about Surfer is I do think he’ll age quit well. It’s important that we keep in mind that we don’t know what kind of crazy nodes the team have waiting for us in the future. Ruminating on his passive immunity list, the way it’s structured can’t be an accident and may have larger reaches then just willpower and buffs.

With Surfer, it could be that like many of the lesser 5 stars from mcoc antiquity, that once available as a 6 star from which natural rank was that of R4, the boost in power really brought them more into the light from which the lack of resources (understandably) cast them away. The same maybe true for when it’s possible for Surfer to be obtained as a 7 star or at R4 duped as a 6 star but unfortunately only time will tell.

For now though, I do hope they tweak him a bit to solidify his place as a top level champ, I mean come on...it’s freakin Silver Surfer!
  • LOThunderLOThunder Posts: 218 ★★

Ok, so...to preface this, I whaled out hardcore this fourth (that 6 star nexus literally short circuited my rationality) and although I pulled some pretty great champs, the 6 star Silver Surfer really caught my eye.

Curious (I mean its freakin 6 star Silver Surfer!) I spent just about all weekend playing him and testing him out with different synergies and I have to say, he is probably on my top 5 favorite characters to play both animation and concept wise. Everything about him is so smooth and the concept of his kit works really well and flows with the rhythm of battle. This being said, unfortunately I’m a bit let down with what I can produce with this character.

I believe after a bunch of trial and error, the best rotation I have found is this:

Immediately: Heavy/phase to generate power gain, this will speed up the following process.

Next: Attack until sp1 is available and use it when amor or fury is available in power cosmic. This will reset power gain.

Next: Repeat previous step until this time the opposite buff that you choose pops up. Activate sp1 to consume that now granting you 2 fury, 2 armor and refreshing power gain.

The final step: Build up sp3 using your heavy/phase to activate power gain as needed to refresh and keep all buffs active. (Power gain falls off twice as fast, so only keep one on at a time so when you activate it, it always is unique, argo, refreshing all the other buffs) Use Sp3 and enjoy.

At this point, if everything was followed appropriately, your energy burst damage from all your buffs should be decent and your just using your heavy to proct power gain to refresh everything while you go trigger happy on (now) unblockable sp2s.

Useful synergies:

Doctor Strange: Shorter power cosmic cool down (makes timing of power gain activations easier).

The Problem:

This rotation is so brutally difficult to keep up. Literally if anything goes wrong, it’s over, plain and simple, buffs fall off and your back to square one.

This would be fine of course but the problem is, even under that intense game play precision, the damage, honestly... is just good.

I guess what I’m saying is, it’s ok to make something very difficult to maintain as long as the rewards are in kind but with Surfer, that skill is just not rewarded and I think that’s what’s bumming me out.

It’s rare that I find a champ that I love everything about and thoroughly enjoy playing with and feel like some how these pixels are special to me and Surfers got it!
    It’s just...his damage/utility is not there. In fact the only place this worked was ROL Winter Soldier and that was only because he can’t throw special 3s.

My tweaks:

Quality of Life: Increase buff duration by 25%-50%. We need some time to deal with opponents special attacks.

Utility: If power cosmic is unavailable, heavy attack siphons buff from opponent for 5-8 seconds. This will give him access to more buffs that are not unique to him for more energy damage and since they are now unique, power cosmic buffs sustainability (i.e. refreshing fury, armor and power gain).

If phasing a projectile, Surfer absorbs object through board and metamorphoses it to a plume of regenerative gas on the other side. (This will help with sustainability)

I know this was long, but this character has soooo much potential and barely needs to be tweaked for him to be what...at least I think he should be. He’s so awesome, I want to use him everywhere but as it is now...he’s just prestige.

I like playing around with him (5* r4), but like you've said: "his rotation is hard to keep up" especially when you're in the real game situation, plus were the AI hoards specials.
    LOThunder said:

Useful synergies:

The Problem:

My tweaks:

I like playing around with him (5* r4), but like you've said: "his rotation is hard to keep up" especially when you're in the real game situation, plus were the AI hoards specials.
    The funny thing is that I made the realization that he’s basically Carnage. You build to 5 max buff then the one from Venom and you have 6 and how many does Surfer have? Lol 6. Both have powergain, armor breaks, unblockable attacks with Surfer only having phase, bonus energy damage instead of bleeds, his debuff resistance (Carnage should of had some regen), and his vigilance buff over Carnage (Who should of been anti evade anyway).

All in all I realized how much easier Carnage is to play then surfer, way faster and way better damage that he’s easily better then SS or would be better imo if Kabam had given him just a bit more utility, either way doesn’t make SS look any better sadly just raffirms how lackluster his combination of playstyle and rotation is where as Carnage is so much easier to play that design wise there’d be no reason for him to out damage Surfer, but he does.
    edited July 2020
    That’s an interesting observation @Lunae. I definitely agree there are similarities between these two champions but I do think SS has the upper hand with overall design. It does seem like we are all in total agreement that the difficulty of his rotation is just not being matched by the rewards. I can tell your passionate about SS and definitely know what your talking about. Let’s hope that some how there reading and maybe taking notes.

Silver Surfee is definitely a champ that doesn’t need a rework, just a slight up grade in stats and maybe one or two more tweaks.
    Another thing that could be pretty interesting is, going with the space theme and the radiation up there, it would be cool if he was the first champion who took say 50% less damage from degeneration.

Man, let’s hope he’s in the pool for buffing, he could just be so cool!

Highest prestige+power+degen first = Silver Surfer!
    Oh, or a synergy like what you see in incursions (so the codes already there):

“When consuming the power cosmic, 50% chance to activate a random buff.”

Easy tweak, could really really help damage.