**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Future of Variants [Merged Threads]

2»

Comments

• Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    I never want to fight that variant 4 deadpool boss ever again.
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

there was an easy cheese with him where you just heavy lock him in the corner with a wide range of champs
    @Colinwhitworth69
  • Options
    A_NAZA_NAZ Posts: 713 ★★★

maybe. It’s still ridiculously hard

Haha it is and I’m glad I never have to touch it again. I found chapters 1&3 alright but chapter 2 cost me A LOT of units back when I 100% it 😅

• Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

I agree. Variant rewards need buffed. Plain and simple. They are outdated at this point

When the difficulty is buffed then the rewards can be buffed. The rewards should match the difficulty.
  • Options

So I combined two seemingly unrelated threads here to answer both of the questions. One about a rewards buff, and one about a new difficulty level. The answer to both is a "Yes. Kind of."

We've still got an announcement to come, so I won't say much, and will disappointingly leave more of the questions you follow this up with unanswered (because I love suspense!).

Variant Difficulties started as a challenge for our End Game players. There was no Event Quest or Side Quest Difficulty aimed at them, and once they finished LOL and Act 6, there wasn't much to do. With the addition of the Cavalier Difficulty on the Horizon, and Herald Difficulty for the side quest next month, it's time for Variant to Evolve.

That's it. Leaving it cryptic. Bye!

I like this. A new difficulty with new rewards aimed at higher end players is essentially what you're saying. Not that I'll be doing that when it releases but this is a good step for higher progression.
  • Options

Okay one thing to be clear on, we're not adding a new difficulty. Don't start spreading that rumor.

Okay to rephrase, Variants that are a more difficult challenge with higher rewards. Poor choice of wording but the word "Difficulty" can apply to how hard a challenge is, or a new level of difficulty e.g "Variant+" . I only meant it in the terms of harder fights, rather than an added "Variant+". If the difficulty challenge is higher than higher rewards is justified.
  • Options
    Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★

So I combined two seemingly unrelated threads here to answer both of the questions. One about a rewards buff, and one about a new difficulty level. The answer to both is a "Yes. Kind of."

We've still got an announcement to come, so I won't say much, and will disappointingly leave more of the questions you follow this up with unanswered (because I love suspense!).

Variant Difficulties started as a challenge for our End Game players. There was no Event Quest or Side Quest Difficulty aimed at them, and once they finished LOL and Act 6, there wasn't much to do. With the addition of the Cavalier Difficulty on the Horizon, and Herald Difficulty for the side quest next month, it's time for Variant to Evolve.

Seems like they might be tuning up the difficulty AND the rewards, I’m down for that because it is supposed to be end game content after all
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,068 ★★★★★
    i quite welcome lower difficulty. there's a lot of content that's really difficult as is so let the majority of players have access to these higher rewards i say. if V5 continues the trend, i say make it so.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★

Okay one thing to be clear on, we're not adding a new difficulty. Don't start spreading that rumor.

oh thank goodness
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

aw man :(. love seeing people that aren't ready for content complain about it on the forums
  • Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★

You've got me hyped Sir Miike!
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★

there was an easy cheese with him where you just heavy lock him in the corner with a wide range of champs
    @Colinwhitworth69
    Yeah I did it every time with CMM. But it went wrong a lot, too. Heh.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    One thing I think should be added to future variants no matter what - a 4-5 gem with year restrictions. The glory store already ensures this isn’t meta-breaking, and it’s a chance to see some champs at r5 who’d never get there otherwise.

I also wouldn’t be mad if there was a Champion’s Challenge-style setup, with current rewards redistributed among earlier content and a “special” section with extra endgame rewards.
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

I hope this doesn’t mean they’re getting easier with worse rewards, even though they aren’t a giant challenge anymore for the endgame they’re still super fun and interesting, if they get easier they’ll just seem like more tedious content like uc eq
  • Options
    CatapoulpeCatapoulpe Posts: 101
    I guess variant 5 will be a little bit harder than the previous ones with a slightly buffed rewards. Like a 6r2 rank up gem instead of a 5r5. Can't wait for the announcement !