**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Quake > Ghost. An in-depth explanation thread.

KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I have seen these debates everywhere and I decided to tackle it myself. Obviously, Quake and Ghost are both amazing champions and are arguably the 2 best champions for 90% of content in MCOC.

I've seen people say Quake>Ghost and others say Quake>Ghost and I am here to present my viewpoint, which is that Quake>Ghost and will likely be the best champion in MCOC's history. I don't see Kabam coming up with a champion that can rival the power of Quake.

With Quake, you literally NEVER have to touch the opponent, ignoring any damage back effects or any other effects that would happen when contacting the opponent. Almost every other champion in the game has to touch the opponent to do any damage (there could be an argument made for Omega Red that you can just stand in the corner and dex and let the death spores kill the opponent but it's very unrealistic in most situations). Ghost has to touch the opponent to do damage, meaning that she has to deal with damage back such as Electro and other effects that champions get when getting hit.

Next up, we have power control. Quake has the best power control in the game in all situations where passive power gain is not present. Quake can keep the opponent at 0 power the entire game. I don't think there is an argument to be made here. As long as there is no passive power gain (Symbiote Supreme, Doctor Strange, Loki), Quake doesn't have to worry about power in any way as she never has to hit the opponent, meaning the opponents will not gain any power and therefore will not throw any special attacks. Ghost, as powerful as she is, doesn't possess this ability as she has to hit the opponent and doesn't have any way to prevent the opponents from gaining power.

Now a counterargument that can be made is that Ghost is practically debuff immune because she can shrug off all debuffs and turn them into furies, only making her stronger. This is true, and it is a very powerful mechanic, don't get me wrong. But Quake doesn't even have to worry about getting debuffs on her because she never has to touch the opponent, ignoring DOT nodes like biohazard and freezer burn, as well as other DOT effects like Morningstar's on-contact bleed and Abomination's on-contact poison.

Now for the best part of Quake, she can cause 100% ability accuracy reduction through her concussions without even touching the opponent. To take this into perspective, Archangel, a god tier champion, has 100% ability accuracy reduction but has to first apply bleed and poison debuffs, then has to convert them into 3 neurotoxins, to achieve 100% ability accuracy reduction. For this to be effective in any way, the opponent must not be bleed and poison immune and must be ideally not stun immune to get consistent heavy attacks on the opponent. Quake doesn't have to touch the opponent to reduce the opponent's ability accuracy by 100%. I find this to be the strongest piece of utility in the entire game. Not touching the opponent = reducing ability accuracy by 100%. For as good as Ghost is, she cannot reduce the opponent's ability accuracy by any means, meaning that when she hits the opponent, they will trigger all of their effects. Wolverine will steal heal, Hyperion will still trigger power gain, and Electro will still cause her to take damage back.

Now, don't get me wrong, Quake has her weaknesses. Passive power gain, true strike, anti-evade debuffs like Coldsnap (I'm looking at you Vision Aarkus), and nodes like Spite counter Quake and make her practically ineffective. The new AW tactic (Stubborn) is anti-Quake. In addition, Quake is typically a slower option for most fights in comparison to champions like Ghost and Corvus. Quake also has the highest skill cap in the entire game. It is very hard to master Quake, especially for the average player. But this is the case for all top champions. They have many strengths but also have a few weaknesses.

All in all, Quake and Ghost are both phenomenal champions, but to me, it is fundamentally clear that Quake is the absolute best champion in the entire game. Infinite power lock at 0 power, no need to touch the opponent, 100% ability accuracy reduction.

If you have gotten this far, thank you very much for reading this. I am looking forward to see all of your thoughts below.

Comments

• KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★

Ghost can’t shrug off all de buffs only DOT so voids can’t be shrugged off

True
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    edited August 2020

Lioz178 said:

Hahahah. Who ever says ghost is better is kidding themselves. Quake is a cheat code to everything. U don't even need to know what a sp attack is with her. Just dash back and melt ur opponents

Huh? It takes a lot of skill and patience to master Quake style. Most players will rely on easier, quicker champions. Look at Seatin and Brian Grant for example, they both have Quake as 5 stars but prefer not to use her because they’d rather use other easier and quicker options.
    He was agreeing with you but you kind of proved my point, Ghost is not boring and does the job much faster. She also works better for 99% of the games content and Quake is there for the other 1% Ghost can't do
    HI_guys said:

The best thing about quake is that it doesn't matter what the opponent does when playing quake. But with ghost unless the opponent plays into you she's practically a normal champ

Literally almost every opponent plays into you if you're patient enough, I wait until the last half of a second and 99% of the time the enemy dashes in
  • StellanStellan Posts: 322 ★★
    I think it would be interesting if Quake's and Ghost's respective weaknesses could be defined which presence then could be counted in how frequently it occurs, thus giving a possible idea of the more appropriate champion.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

Tiger360 said:

Imo ghost is better. More damage, turning buffs into more damage, phasing special 3's, unblockable all crit specials, it's just insane. Like if you're good enough with her you can't lose health or die (Provided you aren't facing someone who counters her or a specific node.) Quake is great but I just think ghost is better and so do a lot of the higher tier players. You'd need to be a perfect quake player to make her better than ghost and no one is a perfect quake player (KT1 said something like this in one of his videos)

You mentioned phasing special 3 but the skill and timing requirements are in my point of view higher then those of quake. Especially ghost needs synergys to be at her full potential. Quake doesn't need any syn at all which is a point you missed @KDSuperFlash10
    hood is the only synergy you need with quake. wasp is unnecessary if you are comfortable with her and ant man is mostly damage. and if you say the max potential of her comes with synergy, if she didn't have the synergy at all, would that be the highest potential? I view it as more of an add on