**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why not "retire" champs instead of trying to buff all the Meme Tier ones?

Hear me out because there has to be a way this could work.

Even though the Magneto Buff looks kick-ass we can't expect every old champion that gets buff to jump straight to the highest tier of usefulness.

So why not retire champs from the Contest instead. Wouldn't that be very similar to the comics idea of the contest, always changing rosters?

If you own any retired champs, let us trade them in for a featured crystal or some sort of crystal with a smallish pool of new champs. We have so many versions of Ironman for example, do we really think OG Ironman will be made best for that character when/if he gets buffed. I'd be cool with a crystal that gives me a shot at the newer Ironman characters instead of having to keep my crappy OG Ironman.

I know sig levels will be a challenge but Kabam did say in the Roadmap that they wanted to make sig stones more easily accessible. I can't think of an easier way to gain sig stones than trading in quadruple dupped 2015/16 champs and getting a featured crystal and some class (or generic if I'm being greedy) sig stones back for it??

I am sure someone here has already suggested this but maybe that was before all the announced changes so...now could be the time to finally make this great idea a reality??!

Thoughts?

Comments

• EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    I'm no game designer. But I'ma take a wild guess and say it's easier to update champs that already have a game model, stats and abilities rather than making whole new champs to replace them. Even if we were to get equivalent shards for what they've removed, this suggestion makes no sense.
  • GMAX77GMAX77 Posts: 491 ★★★
    So are you saying the "new" champ would take the place of the old champ in your roster?
    If I have a rank 2, 6 star Drax for an example, would the champ I pull from the new crystal be at rank 2...like the retired one?
    Then there's the issue of which champs are considered "meme" tier. Just because a champ is commonly panned, doesn't necessarily make them one a lot of summoners would like to see retired. This could be for a variety of reasons. I think the retirement idea is very creative, and maybe could be seen as these older champs simply not added to 6 star crystals (and maybe 7? stars), but I wouldn't like to trade in my champs which I enjoy playing the contest with just because there are those who consider them "useless". Colossus is one of my favorite champs in all of MCOC right now. I am very appreciative that they buffed him instead of just kicking him out.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    most of those memes are some of the most well known champs in marvel
    RyGoku said:

Yeah, I didn't say make new ones either wow. No one is getting this. The trade-in would be for a crystal with existing but much better champs in it. AND THIS WOULD BE A CHOICE!!

So you basically want us to be able to sell specific champs for a full crystal? That idea's worse.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,171 ★★★★★
    RyGoku said:

Yeah, I didn't say make new ones either wow. No one is getting this. The trade-in would be for a crystal with existing but much better champs in it. AND THIS WOULD BE A CHOICE!!

No just no it just a offer way arund it to get the sell options back and get hacked to do something u Mabye don’t like
    RyGoku said:

Etjama said:

RyGoku said:

So you basically want us to be able to sell specific champs for a full crystal? That idea's worse.
    Also no. Read the entire post please. I said a smallish pool/featured crystal type of crystal. Not a regular 5* crystal.
    When did I say regular 5* crystal? I said a full crystal. And it's still a bad idea.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I understand where you're coming from, but this is an all-or-nothing story. Either Kabam removes all of those champions from everyone's roster (and thoroughly clean it from the game, including replacing every and all of that champion in quests), or they don't. Simply making certain champions unavailable, even the most stupid ones, and letting some players sell those, will create way too many issues. Like, would those who don't have that champion have a choice of pulling one? Would players who kept that champion have an unfair advantage?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    I already get extra shards for duping a meme tier champ. That already goes to the next tier. Plus a little extra gold and a ton of iso. It's perfectly fine the way it is.
  • GercasGercas Posts: 100 ★★
    edited August 2020
    IMO Bad champions are needed if all champions are great then none is, imagine a new quest with only god tier defenders the forum would be flooded with people saying is to hard I can’t do this or that. Nobody wants to Thor Jane foster or Iron patriot for examples but they are needed
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    I don't think we should let players trade in bad champs for good ones. Periodt.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    RyGoku said:

Gercas said:

IMO Bad champions are needed if all champions are great them none is, imagine a new quest with only god tier defenders the forum would be flooded with people saying is to hard I can’t do this or that. Nobody wants to Thor Jane foster or Iron patriot for examples but they are needed

But they are already offering to buff tons of champs...won't this happen anyway?
    It won’t happen because the bad ones will be rotating actually.
    Newer buffed will be better pushing mediocre to buff radar, then they will become better pushing the next row to get buffed, and so the story goes.
    There will be always bad champs, they won’t just be the same champs over and over 😉
    RyGoku said:

I don't think we should let players trade in bad champs for good ones. Periodt.

Just buff all the bad ones then?
    I don't see why not.

"Buffing" a champion isn't about making the champion a "god tier". It's about making the champion somewhat usable in today's content. Think about how far content has changed from Act 1 to Act 6. Think about all the requirements that Act 6 imposes. The point of a buff is to make an outdated champion, like Iron Man, have a kit that can fulfill some of the requirements that are set by future/present content.

Will there always be bad champions, even when buffed? Yes. It's unavoidable.
    RyGoku said:

GMAX77 said:

So are you saying the "new" champ would take the place of the old champ in your roster?
    If I have a rank 2, 6 star Drax for an example, would the champ I pull from the new crystal be at rank 2...like the retired one?
    Then there's the issue of which champs are considered "meme" tier. Just because a champ is commonly panned, doesn't necessarily make them one a lot of summoners would like to see retired. This could be for a variety of reasons. I think the retirement idea is very creative, and maybe could be seen as these older champs simply not added to 6 star crystals (and maybe 7? stars), but I wouldn't like to trade in my champs which I enjoy playing the contest with just because there are those who consider them "useless". Colossus is one of my favorite champs in all of MCOC right now. I am very appreciative that they buffed him instead of just kicking him out.

Then keep all your champs. As far as tiers go, there are items for that too. Not sure Kabam would be willing to do that but I as a player wouldn't hate it lol. It was an idea that is targeting those players, like me, with lots of bad champs that might not want to wait a year or so for my specific bad champs to win the buff lottery. Or worse, get buffed and still not be very good (like Sentry.)
    But there's also the question about what a "meme tier" champion is. What makes a "meme tier" a "meme tier"?

Furthermore, I don't get how this would work. You get a "meme tier", then you trade it in for a crystal that contains better champions? How are those champions chosen?

If the champion pool of said crystal was limited to the upper 25% of the character list, wouldn't the people who pull a champion who is good, but not great (not in the bottom 25% nor the top 25% be at a disadvantage? Should any champion pull not in the top 25% be eligible?

There's too many flaws in the execution.