**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Just got Doom, Any Specific Way to Play Him?

Looking for advice on how to play doom.

Comments

• Options
    Paul_RuddPaul_Rudd Posts: 79

There are several ways. You can push for L3, and make use of the Stun, you can maximize the Incinerate with the L2, you can spam L1 with Lights to Power Control as well. Depends on the situation.

But what’s the easiest way most people use him cause I haven’t been able to do it effectively
  • Options
    Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    Always use sp1 when opponent has 2 bars of power
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1
    This will gain 2 fury buffs

Does this sound about right? He just feels incredibly awkward to play

Some of this is correct.

MLLL into heavy. Repeat. Bait specials as much as possible to allow you to push to sp3. The sp3 gives 1 fury.

After the sp3, MM and then split second pause before going into LLLL and then sp1.

In terms of special rotations, I do sp3, sp1, sp2.

For large health pools, I start with 2 sp3’s, sp2 and sp2.
    Thank you, this is super helpful

• Options
    Shamir51Shamir51 Posts: 849 ★★★★
    Paul_Rudd said:

Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1

Some of this is correct.

MLLL into heavy. Repeat. Bait specials as much as possible to allow you to push to sp3. The sp3 gives 1 fury.

After the sp3, MM and then split second pause before going into LLLL and then sp1.

Thank you, this is super helpful

Sorry to edit the last sentence in my previous post it’s sp3, sp3, sp1 and sp2.

And you’re welcome!
  • Options
    RoKoPlayzzzRoKoPlayzzz Posts: 242
    Sp1 when you're opponent gets 2 bars of power then normal m-l-l-l-m and then get to 3 bars of power than spam sp1 until the opponents power completely rests than rinse and repeat. At least that's how I normally use him
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1

Some of this is correct.

Actually yours is mostly correct after doom launches his sp3 and the opponent is close to their sp3 do MM LLL MM you will have ur sp1 drain them you go up and have a sp2
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    edited September 2020
    MaxGaming said:

Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1

Some of this is correct.

Actually yours is mostly correct after doom launches his sp3 and the opponent is close to their sp3 do MM LLL MM you will have ur sp1 drain them you go up and have a sp2
    This.

You want to fire off an SP3 only when your opponent has close to two bars of power, at least

Off your SP3, three things will happen:

1) Doom's Aura of Haazareth will activate
    2) You will receive a Fury buff
    3) Your opponent will be stunned

Next, and this is the most crucial part:

As Max said, you'll want to do an MM LLL MM combo, this will get you to an SP1, which you will need to fire off

The SP1 you just fired off will get you to two bars of power, and you have a choice now to do one of two things:

1) Fire off the SP2 while the Aura of Haazareth and the Fury buff is still active (AoH still active = Unblockable)

2) Get to SP3 again while the Aura of Haazareth is still active and then repeat cycle (MM LLL MM, SP1), until you get to an SP2 with two Fury buffs, and fire away
  • Options
    Rookiie said:

MaxGaming said:

Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1

Some of this is correct.

This.

You want to fire off an SP3 only when your opponent has close to two bars of power, at least

Off your SP3, you will receive a Fury buff and the opponent will be stunned, and as Max said you'll want to do an MM LLL MM combo and then fire off an SP1

The SP1 you just fired off will get you to two bars of power, and you have a choice now to do one of two things:

1) Fire off the SP2 with one Fury buff
    2) Get to SP3 again while the Aura of Haazareth is still active and repeat the cycle until you fire off an SP2 with two Fury buffs
    Thanks guys I appreciate all the help!

• Options
    Most welcome
    Good thing you quoted my comment
    It went for approval after I tried to put a space between two points
    Smh these rules
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★
    Yeah, see opponent, destroy opponent. Move on to next fight, repeat! It really is that simple!
  • Options

Yeah, see opponent, destroy opponent. Move on to next fight, repeat! It really is that simple!

Now that I know how to use him, any fights that he can’t take? I typically run CMM, NF, Ghost, Wasp, and now Doom
  • Options
    Paul_Rudd said:

Now that I know how to use him, any fights that he can’t take? I typically run CMM, NF, Ghost, Wasp, and now Doom
    U have NF for all good doom counters (void, cap iw, quake and hT)
  • Options
    spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Paul_Rudd said:

You could still take him, but Magneto poses some problems now.

• Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★

Paul_Rudd said:

Havok is pretty hard with Doom as well.
  • Options
    Kill_Grey said:

Paul_Rudd said:

Havok is pretty hard with Doom as well.
    Dont think I've played havok against doom yet. Or the other way round.
  • Options
    spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Oh Bishop too, I made that mistake once. Avoid him like the plague.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,367 ★★★★★
    Strategy-wise, Doom has two main thing to remember:

He's very momentum-based. You want to aggressively steal power. That can mean throwing SP1 after another; often very soon after an SP3. It's not always about trying to get double Fury effects after back-to-back SP3s! Sure it's doable, but really not necessary unless you're trying to impress your YouTube followers...

With most other power control champions, you're trying to keep the opponents power very low; so they can't fire off any specials. With Doom, you want to push them high in power, so there's more to steal. The SP1 steals dramatically more power if they're at three bars than it does if they're lower.

Once you get the hang of him, he's got an amazing ability to dominate the match. If you get the chance to Awaken him, do. He only needs Sig level 1 to get an amazing power boost from opponents like Hyperion and Vision Aarkus. My Doom is only 4/55 Awakened, with PI around 8500; and I could totally wreck the Herald boss Aarkus with him (8500PI Vs 64,000 PI) as long as I didn't screw up.

Which I did sometimes, but hey! I'm only human!
  • Options

Strategy-wise, Doom has two main thing to remember:

He's very momentum-based. You want to aggressively steal power. That can mean throwing SP1 after another; often very soon after an SP3. It's not always about trying to get double Fury effects after back-to-back SP3s! Sure it's doable, but really not necessary unless you're trying to impress your YouTube followers...

With most other power control champions, you're trying to keep the opponents power very low; so they can't fire off any specials. With Doom, you want to push them high in power, so there's more to steal. The SP1 steals dramatically more power if they're at three bars than it does if they're lower.

Once you get the hang of him, he's got an amazing ability to dominate the match. If you get the chance to Awaken him, do. He only needs Sig level 1 to get an amazing power boost from opponents like Hyperion and Vision Aarkus. My Doom is only 4/55 Awakened, with PI around 8500; and I could totally wreck the Herald boss Aarkus with him (8500PI Vs 64,000 PI) as long as I didn't screw up.

Which I did sometimes, but hey! I'm only human!

Thanks! Yea I used a mystic AG on him after I r4 him and put about 20 sigs on him.
  • Options
    RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Everything here is correct, but I actually use MLM LLLMM after the SP3. Same result, just a fraction more damage. Although I might be missing something

Learning to Reparry is super useful with Doom. It’ll provide you with your opening after the first SP3 without the opponent using their power
  • Options
    Rookiie said:

MaxGaming said:

Shamir51 said:

Paul_Rudd said:

How to play Doom:
    M L L L Heavy to start
    After SP3:
    M M L L L L then SP1

Some of this is correct.

This.

Off your SP3, three things will happen:

1) Doom's Aura of Haazareth will activate
    2) You will receive a Fury buff
    3) Your opponent will be stunned

Next, and this is the most crucial part:

As Max said, you'll want to do an MM LLL MM combo, this will get you to an SP1, which you will need to fire off

1) Fire off the SP2 while the Aura of Haazareth and the Fury buff is still active (AoH still active = Unblockable)

2) Get to SP3 again while the Aura of Haazareth is still active and then repeat cycle (MM LLL MM, SP1), until you get to an SP2 with two Fury buffs, and fire away
    Woohoo it's back! Okay. So getting to two Fury buffs is really helpful when your opponent has a rather large health pool, because it significantly increases the SP3 damage, shock damage, basic attacks, SP2 damage and incinerate damage on the second rotation.

Really has nothing to do with impressing YouTube followers.

Additionally, as mentioned above, Doom is an insane power control champion. So if you find yourself in matchups where your opponent has insane Power Gain, try and make sure you're close to one or three bars of power, so that you can access one of his rotations and dominate the fight from there.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★
    I know the rotation for damage (2 furys) as Rookiie described, but whats the rotation for power control? Or is it the same?
  • Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,453 ★★★★

Everything here is correct, but I actually use MLM LLLMM after the SP3. Same result, just a fraction more damage. Although I might be missing something

Learning to Reparry is super useful with Doom. It’ll provide you with your opening after the first SP3 without the opponent using their power

I just can't get the timing down for that, every time I've tried the MLM first I find the stun finishes before I start the LLLMM combo - not sure where I'm hesitating but I'm just much more comfortable sticking with MM LLLMM
  • Options
    Woody_federWoody_feder Posts: 584 ★★
    You need to watch dorky Dave’s video on him!

https://youtu.be/-YTKwWBjCno