**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why can't I play as characters I like

2»

Comments

• Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★

ItsDamien said:

The fact that you put Star Lord as "unusable" outside of act 4 or arena is laughable.

Most of the champs you listed had their time in the Meta when they initially released. Here's a brief explanation of what META stands for in the majority of games. Most Efficient Tactic Available. M.E.T.A.

Nearly 6 years since the game started, and new ideas have come into the game since then, which forces new meta shifts as content and characters evolve. It's like comparing a top end PC or Mobile phone from the year 2000 to what we have coming in 2020, things get outdated drastically.

Yeah it will take a long time for all the buffs and reworks to be done, and by the time they are done with those buffs and reworks, the so called "Gods" in this current iteration of the game will also be outdated and in need of changes.

Besides a bunch of the characters listed aren't necessarily more recognisable or even well liked as some of the characters that have been introduced.

When things get old you shouldn't expect them to be as good as they were when they were new.

I actually didn't know that meta was an acronym. the more you know.
    It’s not. To the extent that the letters fit, it’s something done after-the-fact. Feel free to look up game theory and “metagame” for more detailed explanations.
  • Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    TyEdge said:

ItsDamien said:

The fact that you put Star Lord as "unusable" outside of act 4 or arena is laughable.

Most of the champs you listed had their time in the Meta when they initially released. Here's a brief explanation of what META stands for in the majority of games. Most Efficient Tactic Available. M.E.T.A.

Nearly 6 years since the game started, and new ideas have come into the game since then, which forces new meta shifts as content and characters evolve. It's like comparing a top end PC or Mobile phone from the year 2000 to what we have coming in 2020, things get outdated drastically.

Yeah it will take a long time for all the buffs and reworks to be done, and by the time they are done with those buffs and reworks, the so called "Gods" in this current iteration of the game will also be outdated and in need of changes.

Besides a bunch of the characters listed aren't necessarily more recognisable or even well liked as some of the characters that have been introduced.

When things get old you shouldn't expect them to be as good as they were when they were new.

I actually didn't know that meta was an acronym. the more you know.
    It’s not. To the extent that the letters fit, it’s something done after-the-fact. Feel free to look up game theory and “metagame” for more detailed explanations.
    There are multitude of different meanings for meta, the most commonly used in Gaming is Most Efficient/Effective Tactic Available.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/meta-meaning/#:~:text=In the world of gaming,or beat the game itself.

You can check this from 2017, and other articles too.

Just know there is a slight difference between "metagaming" and "meta in games", but in a fair amount of games META is used as the acronym I described.
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

asisman said:

Maybe I overexaggerated when I said "unusable". But again, do you use Star Lord in Act 5 and beyond? The answer is usually no because at that point you have another tech champion that is far better than him. If you have a Warlock or Ghost, you will probably never run a Star Lord over them. If you have literally any of the "meta" defining characters that would be of greater use in overarching content you will not use Star Lord at all. The potential that characters can reach shouldn't be so vast between them. But if you have a Sparky, it's a no brainer you use him over Star Lord. This is what defines this game right now. Throwing champions away for ones that are unequivocally and undeniably better. It shouldn't be like that. You try to push Act 6 with a Star Lord you better be ready with a whole truckload of revives and health potions. There should be a small standard deviation of overall usability that is measured with a solid champ at the center. Champions on this scale should absolutely not be 10 standard deviations apart, but in this current day it most certainly is. If you have a god tier champion, you use the god tier champion and never touch the mediocre substitutes ever again.

"If you have a god tier champion, you use the god tier champion and never touch the mediocre substitutes ever again."
    Well, yes. That's normal. If you try out a new brand of chicken nuggets and like it more than the brand you used to buy, are you going to go back? No. You buy the new brand. There will always be better alternatives, just like there will always be mediocre substitutes.

I really don't get the point of this post. What is it that you want?
    exactly. you described how anything works. if you find something superior to something you previously used, you'll switch
  • Options
    FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    I only disagree with the first paragraph, otherwise all good.